• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

brentech

Honestly, how did you manage to have all that and only manage 2 kills?
You get an m24 and a big boy scope, you gotta go claim heads friend. This just makes me sad.

You get an m24 and a big boy scope, you gotta go claim heads friend. This just makes me sad.

Maybe he only got the M24 late game?

This. That and fog map (so 15x is much less useful anyway), dropped in an inconspicuous place and only picked fights when we needed to. Also got a few chest hits whilst another team member secured the kill. Was a really well coordinated win.

Also worth noting: the Military Vest, Syringe, M24 and 15x were all in once crate. One of the best I've seen.

Erheller

Eh, people can play however they like. Personally I'd probably go ham with the M24 but if someone else just wants to use it at the very end to get the win, that's their prerogative.

I hate the toxic attitude of "why are you playing so passive you should be playing super aggro"

brentech

That's why I asked how.
Couldn't tell it was a fog map through the two screenshots, seemed like there were plenty of people left even if that load out screen was the moment he got he gun. It's just a shame not to shoot those things when you finally get them.

But yeah, fog changes things. I don't even know if I would bother attaching a 15x

Erheller

That's why I asked how.
Couldn't tell it was a fog map through the two screenshots, seemed like there were plenty of people left even if that load out screen was the moment he got he gun. It's just a shame not to shoot those things when you finally get them.

But yeah, fog changes things. I don't even know if I would bother attaching a 15x

Yeah, I don't even know if I'd attach an 8x in foggy weather. I usually keep one in my bag if I have one but 4x is my default sniper scope in fog games.

brentech

Yeah, I don't even know if I'd attach an 8x in foggy weather. I usually keep one in my bag if I have one but 4x is my default sniper scope in fog games.

I've actually used an 8x in the fog with a lot of success. You're just looking for silhouettes, still works pretty good in the mid range - good on an AR or Sniper really. It is my favorite scope though.
Best reticle, imo

shiyrley

Banned
Übermatik;251951249 said:
I switched the 15x out almost immediately for the 4X and then 2X, but thanks for telling me how to play the game I won, GAF.
Ftc5NGq.png

How do u guys feel about the weapon control and feel?
To me they feel kinda off and janky and they are a pain to use.
I am also constantly playing around with the mouse sensitivity. Its either too fast or too slow.

JDB

Banned
I am also constantly playing around with the mouse sensitivity. Its either too fast or too slow.
Gunplay is one of the best things in this game if you ask me.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Yuck. I vehemently disagree. With ~65 hours on the clock, I won't pretend I'm "good," but I definitely kept waiting for the "feel" to "click" like so many say it eventually does. For me, it never did.

Feels like a huge step back in gunplay and feel from something like CoD or Halo.

shiyrley

Banned
Except when you try to shoot through a window with bars and the game won't allow you no matter where you aim (all the bullets hit these fucking bars) giving the enemy enough time to react, turn 180° and oneshot you through that same window

:(

JDB

Banned
Yuck. I vehemently disagree. With ~65 hours on the clock, I won't pretend I'm "good," but I definitely kept waiting for the "feel" to "click" like so many say it eventually does. For me, it never did.

Feels like a huge step back in gunplay and feel from something like CoD or Halo.
Halo? I've played thousands or hours of it, but I wouldn't call the gunplay particularly satisfying.

Tokubetsu

i wouldn't call gunplay in this great

I think the "great" feeling in this comes from adapting on the fly, when your tactics win out. It's coming out on top after being ambushed. Winning that dinner despite being a whole game of shit loot etc.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Halo? I've played thousands or hours of it, but I wouldn't call the gunplay particularly satisfying.

While there's definitely a strong correlation between the two, I don't necessarily equate "satisfying" to "good." I know that's a strange stroke to draw, but when I think of games that are easy to control and it feels like I'm in absolute mastery of my first-person player agency and the aiming and navigation of my gun and its ammo, I would put Halo on that list. Same with CoD (and I actively dislike that series), Titanfall, and classics like Quake and Doom and CS.

Everything about PUBG gunplay - to me - feels floaty, relatively imprecise, and I get little feedback as a player. Long range encounters are definitely better. But even watching high-profile streamers with hundreds and hundreds of hours on the clock, close-quarter encounters unfold as both sides of the engagement "spazz out" and just hover their cursor all over the general direction they'd like to shoot.

It's a result, from what I can tell, of relatively tight play spaces inside building with very sharp turns, and an animation system that doesn't have much flow to itself, making everything feel jarring and unpredictable.

Not trying to hate. Game has a lot going for it - I've gotten my money's worth and continue to play. But for all that I enjoy, I do think it would be much better with tighter gunplay.

JDB

Banned
While there's definitely a strong correlation between the two, I don't necessarily equate "satisfying" to "good." I know that's a strange stroke to draw, but when I think of games that are easy to control and it feels like I'm in absolute mastery of my first-person player agency and the aiming and navigation of my gun and its ammo, I would put Halo on that list. Same with CoD (and I actively dislike that series), Titanfall, and classics like Quake and Doom and CS.

Everything about PUBG gunplay - to me - feels floaty, relatively imprecise, and I get little feedback as a player. Long range encounters are definitely better. But even watching high-profile streamers with hundreds and hundreds of hours on the clock, close-quarter encounters unfold as both sides of the engagement "spazz out" and just hover their cursor all over the general direction they'd like to shoot.

It's a result, from what I can tell, of relatively tight play spaces inside building with very sharp turns, and an animation system that doesn't have much flow to itself, making everything feel jarring and unpredictable.

Not trying to hate. Game has a lot going for it - I've gotten my money's worth and continue to play. But for all that I enjoy, I do think it would be much better with tighter gunplay.
I definitely agree that close quarter combat is garbage. I think a big part of that is that the game is in this middle area between precise movement (CS) and realistic movement (Arma) which in my opinion doesn't really work well when you're having a fight in a constrained environment. It works in Arma because everyone is slow enough (and no jumping!) that quick movements aren't really a big part of a fight and it works in CS because you have full control over your quick movements. PUBG is neither particularly slow nor gives you a lot of direct control over your character. So you can sprint and jump around fast while basically being at mercy of your momentum because trying to turn around quick doesn't happen easily. Then you add the overaggressive mechanic where it raises your weapon when close to any sort of cover or object and you've got yourself a mess.

Wouldn't really put that under gunplay, though.

Anne

IMO a lot of the reasons why the game sucks in close quarters has to do with the tickrate and how the game handles updating. The movement doesn't help, but it's not that bad.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
what are those

screenshots for giants?

I love it. It reminds me of the old STALKER games. I can't snipe worth a damn though.

that is a great analysis of how i feel about the gunplay at the moment.
i played some rounds of rainbow six before after a few days of Battlegrounds and what a difference.
anyways i hope they use all the money they are making to improve the gunplay.

How is this not fixed yet?

It is very weird. Even weirder when 90% of the people I encounter are from China on the US servers. I wonder if they have the reverse problem, and they all default to US.

I don't understand the praise for the shooting. Personally I think it feels very bad. I have over 120 hours in the game and do very well in most FPS games, and I still feel like I'm flipping a coin when open fire.

baby

I don't understand the praise for the shooting. Personally I think it feels very bad. I have over 120 hours in the game and do very well in most FPS games, and I still feel like I'm flipping a coin when open fire.

pubg is far from "most fps games" in its shooting system. its not even comparable to cs/cod/battlefield and unless its some form of arma you do very well in its not really possible to use that kind of experience as a qualifier for how well you should do in pubg

perhaps the reason you feel like youre flipping a coin is becuase youre bad

pubg is far from "most fps games" in its shooting system. its not even comparable to cs/cod/battlefield and unless its some form of arma you do very well in its not really possible to use that kind of experience as a qualifier for how well you should do in pubg

its definitely not like any other shooter.
question is: is that because it is bad per se or are we just bad at it? and if, how are we getting better at it?

I am bad, no doubt about it. Doesn't change how it feels when I'm shooting.

Divius

For the first time, I tried my hand at random squad games.

First game, I could not hear my teammates and they all dropped in different places... that ended quickly.

Second game, halfway through I fixed the sound issue and we did okay but when 1 guy got knocked out of a moving vehicle, the rest decided to get out and rev him which resulted in us taking fire from two different teams.

Third game.. Decent comms, went to school and the apartments...where nobody else was. Had good circle luck and were kitted out pretty well. Chicken dinner!

Kind of sucks comms get cut off immediately after you get the win... can't congratulate or talk to teammates after :(

All in all, pretty fun games. Will play more.

For the first time, I tried my hand at random squad games.

First game, I could not hear my teammates and they all dropped in different places... that ended quickly.

Second game, halfway through I fixed the sound issue and we did okay but when 1 guy got knocked out of a moving vehicle, the rest decided to get out and rev him which resulted in us taking fire from two different teams.

Third game.. Decent comms, went to school and the apartments...where nobody else was. Had good circle luck and were kitted out pretty well. Chicken dinner!

Kind of sucks comms get cut off immediately after you get the win... can't congratulate or talk to teammates after :(

All in all, pretty fun games. Will play more.
if you talk to your team ingame do other people hear that?

BosSin

Guys, I just won a game after my 3rd try of playing. During this game I was on the phone to my mum catching up on how she was.

I feel pretty good about myself

Edit: solo game

Yeah the others could hear, I just could not hear them. But I fixed it in the second game. Messed around with the settings, not quite sure what the problem was.

ah i mean people which are not in your team?
like in Arma. if you are on the open channel everyone standing next to you can hear you. enemies too.

Where are all these gunplay complaints coming from? Until now I assumed that was one of the only aspects of this game that everyone agreed on was good.

This game actually requires you to have some recoil control at almost any range. You need to pick your engagements based on what weapon you have and how far your target is. If you try to full auto everything, you're going to have a bad time.

KingKong

Where are all these gunplay complaints coming from? Until now I assumed that was one of the only aspects of this game that everyone agreed on was good.

This game actually requires you to have some recoil control at almost any range. You need to pick your engagements based on what weapon you have and how far your target is. If you try to full auto everything, you're going to have a bad time.

that part is good, but it doesnt feel nearly as satisfying to actually shoot guns and kill people as something like CS:GO (which is a high bar, I know)

Top Bottom