• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Twice in the past few days I've run into a scenario where I'm in a tree battle and have nearly gotten the other guy, only for a random car attracted by the gunfire to immediately go completely out its way to swerve in out of nowhere to run me over

Blizzard

Banned
that part is good, but it doesnt feel nearly as satisfying to actually shoot guns and kill people as something like CS:GO (which is a high bar, I know)
CSGO let's you basically instant scope hit scan headshot someone. It definitely feels more arcade style than PUBG. I played a ton of CSGO, not knocking it, just saying it's trying for a very different style.

What is hit scan?

Not sure what the best way to describe them is. They're basically weapons that fire bullets without travel time. in CS:GO you don't need to lead your shots because it uses hit scan. As soon as the shots go off the bullets are already at their destination, wherever that may be.

What is hit scan?

Hitscan basically... scans the reticle of the player and then automatically makes a bullet teleport to that location. If the reticle is over something, and you fire, then it automatically hits. Most FPSs do this with any weapon that uses bullets because it's just a video game, and projectiles that take time to travel are usually reserved for missiles or laser orbs or arrows or whatever.

PUBG takes the properties of military sim games like ARMA, where every single bullet is treated as an actual projectile that actually flies out of your gun's model (and not out of the center of the screen like many FPSs) with a specific velocity and bullet drop. No bullet will instantly hit the target unless it's close enough; any gun that's far enough away from the target has to be lead and arced upward to account for the speed the bullet will take to travel and the amount it will drop due to gravity.

Erheller

What is hit scan?

Imagine you are firing a hitscan weapon in a game (let's say, an AWP in CSGO).

When you left click to fire, the game instantaneously draws a line from your eyes (not your weapon in 99% of hitscan-based games) in the direction your crosshair is pointed. The line registers a hit on the first object it encounters.

This means that there aren't actual bullets in the game, and that they have no travel time - you don't have to account for drop, and you don't have to lead.

I hope the crashed plane can get some loot spawns this time.

Yeah. I never could figure out why certain things on the map are colored yellow. I always thought it was because loot could spawn there. Until I visited the crashed plane.

Now I have no clue what it means.

Wollan

PUBG first impressions:
Clean & simple game concept to grasp.
Matchmaking is effective & fast in filling up 100-player games.

My PC is loud as hell right now.
I have a water-cooled, i7 6700K, G-synced 980Ti machine so I should probably open it and clean out some dust (been a ~year).
I followed these settings though I increased Texture detail to High & shadowing & effects to Medium. Smooth framerate though I suspect I could throw more graphics onto the pile and maintain that.

frbrr

PUBG first impressions:
Clean & simple game concept to grasp.
Matchmaking is effective & fast in filling up 100-player games.

My PC is loud as hell right now.
I have a water-cooled, i7 6700K, G-synced 980Ti machine so I should probably open it and clean out some dust (been a ~year).
I followed these settings though I increased Texture detail to High & shadowing & effects to Medium. Smooth framerate though I suspect I could throw more graphics onto the pile and maintain that.

turn up view distance if you can, makes it way easier to spot vehicles when you're jumping from the plane.

for you lonely people, join the discord in OP. Usually there's squads going from eu evening until late night in na

Zomba13

Yeah. I never could figure out why certain things on the map are colored yellow. I always thought it was because loot could spawn there. Until I visited the crashed plane.

Now I have no clue what it means.

The yellow just means it's a building of some kind.

Blizzard

Banned
It's not a ton of time but you do have the lobby / spawn island.
Unfortunately that's crazy laggy because of all the players, the low frame rate, and everyone loading in. Plus the chances of you actually getting a gun and having enough time to shoot it are middling, and whether you actually get the hit detection you think you get is questionable (do you see a blood spray? Did that mean it actually hit or is fake blood spray?).

It's not a ton of time but you do have the lobby / spawn island.

yeah cant really train your skills there.
sure you can jump to a crowded space but then you need to battle vs each other with low tier weapons most likely.
something like a 2 vs 2 with a predefined load out would be cool. in a smaller area of the island.

HelloMeow

yeah cant really train your skills there.
sure you can jump to a crowded space but then you need to battle vs each other with low tier weapons most likely.
something like a 2 vs 2 with a predefined load out would be cool. in a smaller area of the island.

Not to mention the game is super laggy at the start. Picking up weapons, opening doors and even shooting can have a 500-1000 ms delay, which is silly. Imagine if cs or battlefield had 500 ping for everyone. That would be crazy and no one would play it.

i noticed that the cross hair if in 3rd person view is at another spot than when you are in aim down the sights view. is that a bug?
if you want to check juts aim at a spot and switch between views.
if that is supposed to be like that i think that sucks because you always need to adjust your aim between views.

fuzaco

i noticed that the cross hair if in 3rd person view is at another spot than when you are in aim down the sights view. is that a bug?
if you want to check juts aim at a spot and switch between views.
if that is supposed to be like that i think that sucks because you always need to adjust your aim between views.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. You're not supposed to be accurate while hipfiring.

I don't think they're referring to firing, just the difference in aim between FPP and TPP.

If you're aiming at a door knob in TPP and change to FPP, your aim will not be at the same place but a bit beside it.

yes that's what i mean. i just checked it again and sometimes the point you aim at in TTP and FFP stays the same. but usually not.

spuckthew

Really wish I had more people to play with. Squads are great, but not when 2 guys aren't communicating.

Soooo, play duos? Squads is great as you say (it's my favourite mode), but I enjoy duos more if I don't have a full team. Even playing with just one random can be annoying/disadvantageous (there's also a good a chance that if you queue as a three, you won't even get a fourth teammate).

It's because unlike most other shooters, the bullets are actually coming out of your gun's model. When you're third person aiming, the gun is still at your hip or side and is being pointed at an angle at the crosshair, whereas in ADS aiming, your character is actually raising the gun and lining it up in front of their face.

That's why in over the shoulder aiming in TPP, you'll get a red circle mark on some walls/corners if your crosshair is pointing to the space beyond the corner; it's showing you that your gun is being held at an angle where the bullets will hit the wall.

Technically double post, but I just had a hilarious moment. A guy tried to breach my building in the Top 10, but had to leave because the blue was coming, I tried to jump out of the balcony (it was the big gray building with the big balconies running along the front and back) but he heard me as I tried to get him (I should have switched to FP view because my model actually got caught on the camera in that spot). He actually managed to kill me as I fell and shot him, and then... he just sat there. I watched him as he just stood there and the blue swallowed him up. He wasn't healing; I think he actually crashed, and he reconnected like 30 seconds later just in time to move two feet and die to the blue.

jeffc919

So I'm guessing if you get a win as "unknown" it wont go to your record...?

Guessing they are having server issues because more than once I've had to try several times to connect tonight and I also have been getting the no clothes bug and had to refresh the UI a few times to correct it. FYI - matches have been unranked with no stats for about a week now so you wouldn't have gotten a win on your record regardless. Season 5 is supposed to start a little less than 24 hours from now I believe.

Plasmid

Übermatik;251951249 said:
I switched the 15x out almost immediately for the 4X and then 2X, but thanks for telling me how to play the game I won, GAF.

Played with the 15x today and it was garbage. Would prefer a 8x over it.

Arkeband

Banned
I’m not really sure how to survive when it gets down to the last circle(s). I’ve gotten third place but it always seems like it ends on a hill and I’m just running away from the blue circle toward some dude who’s waiting at the center of the white circle with a clear view of any approaching threats.

Should I try to be that guy and anticipate where the circle will end up and get there ASAP? It’s tough because this isn’t even the mindset of some players, some people aren’t concerned with the blue or being first place and will actually die laying out in some field somewhere just to get some cheap kills from people outrunning the blue wall.

Lucifon

So it looks like no vaulting / desert map in live version until they launch 1.0 and leave early access. But it'll be on test servers instead until then. Sounds like the live version isn't getting anymore updates until 1.0 after the small patch this week.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1464092904661305018

Players,

We only have 11 weeks until the end of 2017 and we know you have many questions about our development roadmap. To make sure we deliver PC 1.0 version and Xbox Game Preview by the end of this year, our development team is hard at work day and night. Today, we would like to share our plans on how we are preparing for PC 1.0 and Xbox Game Preview launch.
Many of you already know the new content and features that will be available in PC 1.0 version from reading media interviews and articles. Currently we have been using an internal build to develop and test new content and features including vaulting & climbing, desert map, new vehicles and 3D replay. We have been constantly working on optimization and stabilization as well. We will be able to share more about the roadmap soon, once the development has progressed further.

Road to Launch
Our development team is heavily focusing on developing the builds for PC 1.0 and Xbox Game Preview. For PC, we will be only focusing on doing our best to stabilize the launch build and we don't have any plans to deploy patches to live servers except for this week. However, there will be features like vaulting and climbing which will have a huge impact on the game and need to be tested for at least a month. We will be running test servers at least three times in preparation for that.
Through these test servers, we would like to conduct large scale tests for the content and features that are not in the live build and create a foundation for a very stable official launch.

Test Server Operation Plan
1st phase: Focus on testing vaulting & climbing
2nd phase: More testing of vaulting & climbing, test other new content and features
3rd phase: All new content and features including the desert map
The content and features that will be in test servers need to be tested for at least 2 to 4 weeks. It will be very difficult for us to provide a stable service if we rush updates to live servers after short bursts of testing. As we would like to go through rigorous testing to prepare for official launch, we will not be updating new content to live servers and run test servers for a longer period of time instead.
You will be able to try out vaulting & climbing first in late October or early November. We will give you an update on test schedules later.

Leaderboard Update & FPP Servers
We have been working on leaderboard optimization to ensure their stable operation. It took us longer than expected to work on updating leaderboard systems so we need to delay the start of the new season to October 20th. We apologize for this change in the starting date for the new season. We will make an announcement on when the new season will begin later this week.
We added KR/JP servers and all modes were added to the servers. In addition, we will be adding First-Person Squad modes to SA, SEA and OCE. FPP Squad mode was played the most everywhere so we decided to add Squad mode first. FPP Squad will be added later this week after we update our leaderboard systems. We will continue to monitor player numbers and provide updates when necessary.

Patch Notes for This Week
This week we will deploy a small patch to live servers which will be the last before rolling out the test servers to prepare for official launch later. Test server will be up today – October 16th, 3am PDT / 12pm CEST / 7pm KST. If everything is stable, we will deploy a patch to live servers later.

Gameplay
Decreased the Starting Island item spawn levels in order to adjust the item balance on the Northeast side of Erangel

Bug Fixes
Eliminated the fire animation and effect that occured in the Starting Airplane when a player was on fire from a molotov cocktail
Fixed a bug that enabled a character to hold a main weapon and frying pan simultaneously
Fixed a spectator mode bug of flickering weapon UI icons

Lastly, we would like to thank all our players for the support since our Early Access launch on March 23rd this year. We cannot wait to see everyone try out vaulting and climbing for the first time in a few weeks. We hope to get a lot of feedback from you on vaulting and climbing. Please stay tuned for our announcement on test schedules.

See you in-game,
The PUBG Development and Community Team

Paz

I think the huge uptick for the game in the Chinese market has started a spiral that will end my time with the game, every second game on the Asia server now involves someone headshot cheating or speed cheating or some other nonsense.

And I don't mean salty 'haxxorz!!' accusation stuff, I'm talking solo players wiping out the entire server and downing entire squads in <3 seconds, outrunning vehicles while on foot, punching you down instantly with zero attack animation etc. They aren't even remotely trying to hide it.

Game is completely fucked and when you waste 30 minutes only to die to the solo cheater at the end you feel robbed in a very special way.

I think the huge uptick for the game in the Chinese market has started a spiral that will end my time with the game, every second game on the Asia server now involves someone headshot cheating or speed cheating or some other nonsense.

And I don't mean salty 'haxxorz!!' accusation stuff, I'm talking solo players wiping out the entire server and downing entire squads in <3 seconds, outrunning vehicles while on foot, punching you down instantly with zero attack animation etc. They aren't even remotely trying to hide it.

Game is completely fucked and when you waste 30 minutes only to die to the solo cheater at the end you feel robbed in a very special way.

I heard a theory the other day that it's not specifically the Chinese explosion itself that lead to the increase in hackers, it was Bluehole stopping AFK botting. Once they could no longer idle for BP, BP farmers would have had to switch to overt hacking to quickly farm BP and crates/clothes to sell before they got caught and banned.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Hitscan basically... scans the reticle of the player and then automatically makes a bullet teleport to that location. If the reticle is over something, and you fire, then it automatically hits. Most FPSs do this with any weapon that uses bullets because it's just a video game, and projectiles that take time to travel are usually reserved for missiles or laser orbs or arrows or whatever.

PUBG takes the properties of military sim games like ARMA, where every single bullet is treated as an actual projectile that actually flies out of your gun's model (and not out of the center of the screen like many FPSs) with a specific velocity and bullet drop. No bullet will instantly hit the target unless it's close enough; any gun that's far enough away from the target has to be lead and arced upward to account for the speed the bullet will take to travel and the amount it will drop due to gravity.

I would like to add that hitscan uses linetraces (or raycasts) not "bullets". Also, most modern shooter games use projectile systems (aka. bullets), Battlefield being the biggest name that uses them.

patientx

So.. I got some points to spend was going to buy some crates but heard there is an event coming soon , and in the event there would be special crates ? Is this right ? And does waiting till then to spend the credits wise ? Would that crates will be useful , special etc ?

Top Bottom