• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing ARMS like Pacific Rim is pretty great

wwm0nkey

So yesterday I had friends over for a movie and when it ended the Global test punch just started. Well we only had 2 Switches but 4 people and we could have traded controllers (which we did for the first half of the test) but we eventually decided to pull a Pacific Rim and one person would control the left half and the other would control the right. It was an absolute blast to play that way! It does require coordination and communication but we were actually able to win quite a few rounds doing this too, having to do a 3,2,1 count down so we could execute a grab out of a guard was super satisfying.

If you have friends over or a SO who wants to play ARMS, I recommend trying this because it is just a lot of fun to play.

IGN has a video series called "Linked Together" where two of their editors do that with Breath of the Wild. I'd imagine you'll see a lot of this type of practice among streamers and youtubers in the future.

Would be cool if they designed more games around that. Like a Duck Hunt dog where the Joycon L user controls the dog (horizontal joycon?) and the Joycon R can control the gun and they have to work together in combat and puzzles (but it's doable solo too)

Nanashrew

Banned
Would be cool if they designed more games around that. Like a Duck Hunt dog where the Joycon L user controls the dog (horizontal joycon?) and the Joycon R can control the gun and they have to work together in combat and puzzles (but it's doable solo too)

IIRC, that was an actual thing in the original Duck Hunt. Player 2 could control the ducks.

Someone should do this with Robot Alchemic Drive / Gigantic Drive.
For the curious: you control a giant mecha, each analog stick controls an arm, and the L and R buttons control the legs, with R1 being "right foot forward", R2 being "right foot back", and so on.

I haven't had the time to try out one of the test sessions but as soon as I get my hands on ARMS, my fiancé and I are in for this. Bad-ass idea.

Enzom21

This is brilliant. I want to start a second playthrough with a friend like this. If I create a second account, will it allow me to start a new file without overwriting my current file in my main account?
Yes, each account has separate save files.

One time we were playing Nintendo Land, but the most those games support is five players, and we had six people. We ended up playing the Animal Crossing minigame with two people manning the two separate joysticks on the gamepad to control the guards. It was a ton of fun and actually made the games more competitive since usually controlling the guards is really hard. Plus there was a lot of fun yelling to coordinate lol.

Neiteio

One time we were playing Nintendo Land, but the most those games support is five players, and we had six people. We ended up playing the Animal Crossing minigame with two people manning the two separate joysticks on the gamepad to control the guards. It was a ton of fun and actually made the games more competitive since usually controlling the guards is really hard. Plus there was a lot of fun yelling to coordinate lol.
Yep, I brought my WiiU to a friend's party and there was a married couple that controlled the cops in the AC game this way, each using one stick and leaning over the GamePad as if it were Battleship.

Nintendo Land is still the undisputed champ for local multiplayer with casual players/non-gamers.

WMBT27

Sounds fun. Believe it or not when my son was younger and couldn't handle full out controls he and I played a lot of super mario galaxy this way. He would control Mario with the nunchuck and I would jump or vice versa. Obviously made the game a lot more challenging but it was fun.

Top Bottom