• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2 shipments in Japan cease today

Strike

GMtbx.gif

DarkMehm

13 years of sales-age in Japan.

More like this. There are countries where the PS2 officially launched in 2010/11. It has quite a few million more to go worldwide. I hope Sony releases a PR at the end of PS2s life, because the shipment figures are now together with the PS3.

DieH@rd

Banned
1237977458_thumbsup-terminator.gif

Best console ever, supreme leader of its generation, and home of some of the best games ever created. It contunued to sell nicely 5 years after 99% of developers abandoned it, a fate that will surely be repeated with PS3 [especially with WiiU multiplatform games driving content].

Rest in peace.

I'm gonna join the ranks of the gif targets and declare that it's one of my least favourite consoles, and agree that it's overrated. A huge library does not equal quality. Dreamcast stole its millennial next gen thunder, and the best PSone franchises dwindled on PS2 or migrated. It did have one or two classics, though.

It does when basically every major developer is making games for it, and many of those developers are making exclusives for it.

ymmv

Banned
More like this. There are countries where the PS2 officially launched in 2010/11. It has quite a few million more to go worldwide. I hope Sony releases a PR at the end of PS2s life, because the shipment figures are now together with the PS3.

The PS2 will still be manufactured and sold, but not in Japan anymore. The old king is still alive, he's just wandering the world in search of nations that can't afford his successors to the throne.

Binabik15

Hardware: Well designed for the most part. It was not unusual to see it on most people's living rooms thanks to the dvd player.

Software: Third party exclusives were still common, and the PS2 got the great majority of them. Sony had also been spending time on their own 1st party projects.

Marketing: The PS2 had the best marketing of any console ever. They made people not want to miss out on the experience, they had to have it.

Actually, I can only remember horrible ads for PS2. People running around in an African like animals and "PS2-the third place". WTF forever, especially in non-English countries like mine, nobody understood what the hell that was about.

At least Sony reached tgeir goal and got that third place with their third console :(

My launch EU PS2 is still going strong, as is the dualshock I got for my PSone.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
Goodbye greatest console of all time. I still have a new un-opened ps2 slim in a closet somewhere. (I hope it works since its un-opened lol) I bought it for when 15 years from now I want to replay Shadow Hearts Covenant or Final Fantasy XII in their original hardware. Not to mention countless other games.

I hope next-gen (PS4 and 720) can recapture the middle budget developer game which was what made this console amazing.

The SNES -> PS1 -> Dreamcast -> PS2 transition will never be beaten. To bad it was broken this gen as no system took the crown.

It had a good run. Will likely be remembered as the best ever in a decade or so, once those that grew up with it get older and nostalgic. Hard to argue either.

amar212

The PS2 will still be manufactured and sold, but not in Japan anymore. The old king is still alive, he's just wandering the world in search of nations that can't afford his successors to the throne.

Exactly. SCEE territories covers 99 countries (Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Oceania) and I guess PS2 will sell on at least 1/3 of them for years to come.

I still remember picking up my launch PS2 on release day. When I think about my shared history with that console...so many highs and lows. Thanks for everything, Sony.

sphinx

the piano man
this week I saw three brand new PS2 consoles in that big store in Hamburg, Germany, 1 hour away from my city.

I never owned a PS2....so I was tempted but thought "na, later"...

this news however, makes me wanna take the one hour ride to the store and get it ASAP

Neff

It does when basically every major developer is making games for it, and many of those developers are making exclusives for it.

Don't get me wrong, it has a ton of games I like, but very, very few I love. I need to look to other consoles for a surplus of software that turns me into Gene Kelly.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
bigbosssalute.gif

PS2 had a huge cultural impact and really helped to boost the VG business to a "mainstream" market and helped to make VG much more accepted.

Its impact cannot be neglected..

May16

Playstation 2 Tier.

I hope we see another console like this one.

We won't.
Firmware updates, online passes + devs' emphasis on online play, digital distribution, same-screen multiplayer becoming less common, and the fading out of certain franchises that made PS2 so awesome...
...will make sure of that.

We won't.
Firmware updates, online passes + devs' emphasis on online play, digital distribution, same-screen multiplayer becoming less common, and the fading out of certain franchises that made PS2 so awesome...
...will make sure of that.

Another thing that'll never happen is the emphasis on high framerate. The PS2 had a crazy amount of 60fps games. Some weren't locked, but many devs seemed to aim for that framerate. Now it's pretty rare to see that happen outside of fighting games and some racers.

Damn, I remember buying mine 10 years ago for GTA and Kingdom Hearts. Amazing that all a decade later I cant wait to play the new GTA and yet dont give a crap about KH anymore. Hahaha

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

RoyalFool

Banned
At least it has a decent emulator so it's soul can still burn, we're pretty screwed when any newer console gets discontinued and can never play the games again :(

Takao

Banned
I'm gonna join the ranks of the gif targets and declare that it's one of my least favourite consoles, and agree that it's overrated. A huge library does not equal quality. Dreamcast stole its millennial next gen thunder, and the best PSone franchises dwindled on PS2 or migrated. It did have one or two classics, though.

This is the PS2, not the Wii. PS2 probably has more good games than the total amount of games released on the Dreamcast.

bakedpony

Man, we got no less than SEVEN Shin Megami Tensei games on the PS2.

We got FOUR Suikoden games (ok one was an SRPG but still).

For current gen consoles. we got ZERO from the above franchises.

Top Bottom