• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 firmware v5.0 beta registration incoming?

Gator86

Firmware 5.0

Downsampling Systemwide
Boosted Boost Mode, vanilla software has full access to PRO hardware.
16xAF and 4xMSAA/TAA on all non-patched PS4 titles on PRO
PS1/PS2 emulator released, 4k 60fps uprendering
UI Overhaul

Would be amazing. I don't want a UI overhaul though. Current XMB is terrific.

AudioEppa

Hope they bring much needed improvements to broadcasting and stop treating it as low tier of starting out streaming.

Improvements I want.

• Stream to multiple platforms simultaneously.

• Overlay graphics.

• Streamlab support.

• No more blue screen when navigating to the main menu. Or black square when a notification pops up.

• Spotify support. Let the stresmer entertain its audience with some tunes goddamn it!

• Let's streams continue between switching games.

One feature I want to see that would impact broadcasting.

• Discord on PS4.

Other 5.00 features that could be cool.

• Skype talk and video chat between multiple platforms and also allow share screen in HD for some quality online Netflix / YouTube / Twitch / Vue time between friends and family.

• Import custom background themes through the browser. Hi PS3-themes.

• Bring back XMB as a UI option. They still got it on PSNow.

• Introduce a LET version of PSN Store. This version strictly displays games, no movies or tv stuff.

• Write a review on purchased games.

• Community integrated comment section on each game page.

• Kodi

- Better optimization of the home page/tile page, and maybe a less zoomed-in appearance.

Interesting, I like that idea. Something like an adjustable system wide font/icon size setting, so those of us with good eyes and 4k can get a dozen or more icons on the screen at once and pack more info onto the screen. Those kinds of settings would be a nice quality of life thing, making the display more how certain people want without affecting functionality.

DieH@rd

Banned
In addition to 60fps and better quality of GameDVR videos, I would also like integration with GoogleDrive/OneDrive/Dropbox.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I'll be happy if they fix the 'There are new Events that you might like!" notification bug that i keep getting, despite the fact that i have the box for event notifications unchecked.

Either way, i hope i'm picked....i did the last several ones, so here's hoping!

riverfr0zen

Neo Member
They should really just switch it over to an opt in beta system that anyone who wants can enter with no barriers to entry.

Betas need a degree of control for a variety of reasons: needing to measure network performance/load under different conditions, not having resources ready to deal with the effects of a larger test group, etc. etc.

Most of you guys' requests are PS Network features, not PS4 firmware features.

But the firmware updates frequently contain changes that access those new network features.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
- PS1 and PS2 BC
- PSN name change
- System wide Pro downsampling for 1080p TVs
- 2-step authentication without SMS
- Plus no longer required for online play
- All the stability and quality

believe!

Out of all this only Plus no longer need for online play seems unrealistic. They're not giving up that money...

TimFL

Regarding the Trophy Sync. We want INSTANT posting of trophies. You know, like every other social platform on the planet. Not "eventual auto-sync".

They recently enabled this. Trophies do now automatically unlock without having to sync (tested several times here: unlocked a trophy, opened the PS App or checked on the website and it's unlocked).

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Firmware 5.0

Downsampling Systemwide
UI Overhaul

This would be amazing. And would probably push me to getting a Pro like real soon.

I agree with others, I think the UI is fine as is.

bennibop

I have one request and that is being able to Pin games or apps to the main menu.

Some of the requests on here are PSN requests not PS4 system updates!

RootCause

Has Sony said anything regarding ps1 classics? The removal of ps1 disc bc support and the lack of ps1/2 digital bc have been the biggest surprise disappointments from this generation.

I seriously thought we were going to get the already available ps1/2 digital titles, plus a bunch of new ones. And their attitude has left a bad impression on me.

Firmware 5.0

Downsampling Systemwide
UI Overhaul

Boosted boost mode and AA are literally impossible.

I would love to see the PS2 emulator updated, but PS2 games on PS4 seem kind of dead besides the Jak games coming out.

thelastword

Banned
Would be amazing. I don't want a UI overhaul though. Current XMB is terrific.

This would be amazing. And would probably push me to getting a Pro like real soon.

I agree with others, I think the UI is fine as is.
I was not even going to put anything UI in that list, I too think it's fine and awesome as it is, but overhaul was definitely overstating it..I was thinking more consistency in their UI however, like making all their blue icons on the XMB a similar color and some other minor tweaks for uniformity...

Rayderism

Physical PS1 BC will never happen, PS4 conveniently doesn't support the CD format. (look it up) There are about 150 PS2 games that are on CD, so you can forget that too. Digital maybe (but unlikely), but not physical.

The closest I've ever come to using PSNow is remote play on my Vita. I never even bothered with PSNow when they offered free trials, but then I actually still have my PS2 and PS3 (and PS1, by proxy).

As for what I'd want in the next big FW update.......I don't know. That universal downsampling for 1080p displays sounds good.

Personally, I won't bother with beta firmware. Sony won't cover you if it bricks your console. I'm 100% digital this gen, not gonna risk it.

thelastword

Banned
Boosted boost mode and AA are literally impossible.

I would love to see the PS2 emulator updated, but PS2 games on PS4 seem kind of dead besides the Jak games coming out.
I think Post Processing AA can be done at least.....As for dead PS2 games, imagine if you can run the PS2 Silent Hill games as they were in enhanced resolution AA and AF with a better framerate via the emulator, that would be swell.

I don't think Sony can remaster all those games we want remastered, So I'd play the bouncer, the burnout series and even GT4 at 4k 60fps via an emulator even if I have to repurchase them digitally...Trophies on those old games would give me enough unction. As it is, the upcoming Jak games will be superior to the PS3 remasters in more ways than one.

RootCause

I think Post Processing AA can be done at least.....As for dead PS2 games, imagine if you can run the PS2 Silent Hill games as they were in enhanced resolution AA and AF with a better framerate via the emulator, that would be swell.

I don't think Sony can remaster all those games we want remastered, So I'd play the bouncer, the burnout series and even GT4 at 4k 60fps via an emulator even if I have to repurchase them digitally...Trophies on those old games would give me enough unction. As it is, the upcoming Jak games will be superior to the PS3 remasters in more ways than one.
The Bouncer, my first ps2 game. Loved that game, too bad there aren't many games like that anymore.

I'd love the option to delete library entries (looking at you, demos, betas and several plus games). My library is a mess. Does anyone else care for this?

Firmware 5.0

- Knack built directly into the firmware

WROjwmd

Top Bottom