• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Retrospective and Celebration

Vawn

Banned
EDIT - To keep.the discussion going, list your 3 favorite PS4 (console) exclusive games.

images

With discussions about ridiculous things such as whose fault it is that videogames today suck, etc, we could use a place to celebrate how that's not true.

After so-called experts predicted the death of traditional gaming consoles, the PlayStation 4 has gone on to surpass 100 million units sold - earning the 4th spot on best selling home consoles ever (and still counting).

1. PlayStation 2 - 155 million
2. PlayStation - 102.5 million
3. Nintendo Wii - 101.5 million
4. PlayStation 4 - 100 million+
5. PlayStation 3 - 87.5 million

They did this by releasing a ton of great console exclusives in addition to all the great multi-platform titles.

The generation is winding down and the PS5 is right around the corner. What are some of your favorite PS4 memories?

zy7ulchl3jd31.jpg

Astrobot
astro-bot-insights-and-artwork.jpg

Bloodborne
bloodborne-two-column-02-ps4-us-04jun14

Days Gone
days_gone_cover_1556184572075.jpg

Death Stranding
27875498247_7b6d8c385c_k.0.jpg

Detroit: Become Human
detroit_become_human_demo_cover_1524576037809.jpg

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT
dissidia_final_fantasy_nt_roster_all_characters-heroes.jpg

Dragon Quest Heroes, Dragon Quest Heroes 2
dragon-quest-heroes-2-launch-trailer-still.jpg

dreams
dreams-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-11jun18

Drive Club
driveclub-screen-16-ps4-us-26aug14

Everybody's Golf
EverybodysGolf5.jpg

Farpoint
79893564bca24a06bba74d02df9155ab.jpg

Final Fantasy XIV
former-soe-president-reveals-likely-reason-ffxiv-wont-release-on-xbox-one-or-switch.jpg

Ghost of Tsushima
ghost_of_tsushima_reveal_screen_6.jpg

God of War
god_of_war_ps4_ogre_1523529501581.jpg

Gran Turismo Sport
i1k8BhgmUIfq0uB.jpg

Gravity Rush Remastered, Gravity Rush 2
izop4oigyeh39jfzm9ws.jpg

Horizon Zero Dawn
horizon-zero-dawn-screen-01-ps4-us-03oct16

inFamous: Second Son
infamoussecondson.jpg

inFamous: First Light
infamous%3A-first-light-hd-wallpapers-33262-5515503.jpg

Killzone Shadowfall
killzone-shadowfall-11.jpg

Little Big Planet 3
DIHWDxz4lG2Us715DhmsGeG862SdtgRH.jpg

MLB The Show
mlb-the-show-19-screen-02b-ps4-us-25jan19

Moss
Moss-Gameplay_02-12-18.jpg

Nioh
nioh_last_chance.0.jpg

Nioh 2
nioh-2---screen-2-1566517561196.jpg

Ni No Kuni 2
ninokuni1.0.jpg

P.T.
lamenting-the-loss-of-silent-hills-and-pt-815-1430205528.jpg

Persona 5
persona-splash-416x416.png

Ratchet & Clank
ratchet-and-clank-screenshot-04-psv-us-10jun15

Resogun
C43cFTDWEAAc7k4.jpg

Shadow of the Colossus
Colossus-TopArt.jpg

Spider-Man
spider-man-ps4-preview-glass.jpg

Street Fighter V
featured-homepage-smoke.jpg

Tales of Berseria
images

Tearaway Unfolded
TearawayUnfolded.jpg

Tetris Effect
Tetris.Effect.10.29.Journey.Mode.Metamorphosis.0.png

The Last Guardian
d265d99a-2f23-434f-b106-ab2f190be54a.jpg._CB283285236_.jpg

The Last of Us Remastered
the-last-of-us-could-get-sequels-but-they-won-t-star-joel-and-ellie-2.0.jpg

The Last of Us Part 2
YjKc67nJCwVG9mbecLScNj-320-80.jpg

The Order 1886
mayfair_4.0.0.jpg

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Uncharted-4-A-Thiefs-End-Review-PS4-Review-Uncharted-4-Playstation-Uncharted-4-vs-Last-of-Us-Uncharted-4-vs-Uncharted-3-Is-It-Th-667314.jpg

Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Chapter_7.0.png

Until Dawn
Screen-Shot-2015-12-07-at-9.40.14-AM.png

Wipeout Omega Collection
wipeout_omega_collection_screen_02_us_03dec16.0.jpeg

Yakuza Kiwami
yakuza_kiwami_review_1.0.jpg

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
images

With discussions about ridiculous things such as whose fault it is that videogames today suck, etc, we could use a place to celebrate how that's not true.

After so-called experts predicted the death of traditional gaming consoles, the PlayStation 4 has gone on to surpass 100 million units sold - earning the 4th spot on best selling home consoles ever (and still counting).

1. PlayStation 2 - 155 million
2. PlayStation - 102.5 million
3. Nintendo Wii - 101.5 million
4. PlayStation 4 - 100 million+
5. PlayStation 3 - 87.5 million

They did this by releasing a ton of great console exclusives in addition to all the great multi-platform titles.

The generation is winding down and the PS5 is right around the corner. What are some of your favorite PS4 memories?

zy7ulchl3jd31.jpg

Astrobot
astro-bot-insights-and-artwork.jpg

Bloodborne
bloodborne-two-column-02-ps4-us-04jun14

Days Gone
days_gone_cover_1556184572075.jpg

Death Stranding
27875498247_7b6d8c385c_k.0.jpg

Detroit: Become Human
detroit_become_human_demo_cover_1524576037809.jpg

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT
dissidia_final_fantasy_nt_roster_all_characters-heroes.jpg

Dragon Quest Heroes, Dragon Quest Heroes 2
dragon-quest-heroes-2-launch-trailer-still.jpg

dreams
dreams-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-11jun18

Drive Club
driveclub-screen-16-ps4-us-26aug14

Everybody's Golf
EverybodysGolf5.jpg

Farpoint
79893564bca24a06bba74d02df9155ab.jpg

Final Fantasy XIV
former-soe-president-reveals-likely-reason-ffxiv-wont-release-on-xbox-one-or-switch.jpg

Ghost of Tsushima
ghost_of_tsushima_reveal_screen_6.jpg

God of War
god_of_war_ps4_ogre_1523529501581.jpg

Gran Turismo Sport
i1k8BhgmUIfq0uB.jpg

Gravity Rush Remastered, Gravity Rush 2
izop4oigyeh39jfzm9ws.jpg

Horizon Zero Dawn
horizon-zero-dawn-screen-01-ps4-us-03oct16

inFamous: Second Son
infamoussecondson.jpg

inFamous: First Light
infamous%3A-first-light-hd-wallpapers-33262-5515503.jpg

Killzone Shadowfall
killzone-shadowfall-11.jpg

Little Big Planet 3
DIHWDxz4lG2Us715DhmsGeG862SdtgRH.jpg

MLB The Show
mlb-the-show-19-screen-02b-ps4-us-25jan19

Moss
Moss-Gameplay_02-12-18.jpg

Nioh
nioh_last_chance.0.jpg

Nioh 2
nioh-2---screen-2-1566517561196.jpg

Ni No Kuni 2
ninokuni1.0.jpg

P.T.
lamenting-the-loss-of-silent-hills-and-pt-815-1430205528.jpg

Persona 5
persona-splash-416x416.png

Ratchet & Clank
ratchet-and-clank-screenshot-04-psv-us-10jun15

Resogun
C43cFTDWEAAc7k4.jpg

Shadow of the Colossus
Colossus-TopArt.jpg

Spider-Man
spider-man-ps4-preview-glass.jpg

Street Fighter V
featured-homepage-smoke.jpg

Tales of Berseria
images

Tearaway Unfolded
TearawayUnfolded.jpg

Tetris Effect
Tetris.Effect.10.29.Journey.Mode.Metamorphosis.0.png

The Last Guardian
d265d99a-2f23-434f-b106-ab2f190be54a.jpg._CB283285236_.jpg

The Last of Us Remastered
the-last-of-us-could-get-sequels-but-they-won-t-star-joel-and-ellie-2.0.jpg

The Last of Us Part 2
YjKc67nJCwVG9mbecLScNj-320-80.jpg

The Order 1886
mayfair_4.0.0.jpg

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Uncharted-4-A-Thiefs-End-Review-PS4-Review-Uncharted-4-Playstation-Uncharted-4-vs-Last-of-Us-Uncharted-4-vs-Uncharted-3-Is-It-Th-667314.jpg

Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Chapter_7.0.png

Until Dawn
Screen-Shot-2015-12-07-at-9.40.14-AM.png

Wipeout Omega Collection
wipeout_omega_collection_screen_02_us_03dec16.0.jpeg

Yakuza Kiwami
yakuza_kiwami_review_1.0.jpg

Great console with some epic games imo. Bloodborne, God of War and HZD are my darlings. I'm actually not a traditional gamers in the sense most of my gaming is usually done on exclusives so Sony always had something for me. MLB the Show, Uncharted, Astrobot, so many.

I cannot wait for PS5 and yeah the psuedo professionals definitely said console sales would be stagnant this gen and it would be the last. Low and behold thy couldn't have been more wrong. This is why alot of shit they say I don't take a face value.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
The bst console of this generation by far.

The Last Guardian, #Driveclub, Bloodborne, Gravity Rush 2, Uncharted 4 & TLL, Horizon Zero Dawn, God Of War, Persona 5, Spider-Man, Detroit Become Human, Ratchet & Clank, Until Dawn, PT, Yakuza...

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Fantastic library of games for the majority of its run, though the last few years have been plagued with poor management, terrible choices, and needless ruination of games based on political ideological views.

Still my most played console with the most games this generation (almost at 200 physical compared to my roughly 50-ish Xbox One and 80-ish Switch titles). I hope Sony stops being cocky and gets their head firmly removed from their arse next gen.

Bloodborne... my first 'souls' game.

BloodBorne was my "gateway" souls game as well. After playing and beating bloodborne I kinda got how the games went, and went back and played DS1, and then bought DS 2 and DS3, beat all of those and love the franchise. I just gotta beat Demon's Souls to finish it up, but that thing is a different beast entirely.

I love the PS4 as it did all the things that the PS3 got wrong, like the OS (going back to the home without having to quit a game), rest mode, allowing you to pick up right where you left off (I didn't save my game in Fallout 4 for a LONG time because of that), and the library was really great. I'm glad I went with them this generation.

Saber

Gold Member
Honestly I just feel bad about The Order. Its visually pleasing yeah, but its basically a movie. Dunno who was that stupid to not notice that people wanted to play it(how the heck someone testing this game didn't ask themselves if they were doing it right). Deserves all the criticism and more. Such a waste of potential.

Hope they don't repeat that crap again.

Anyway, congratz PS4. Just hope you keep that momentum and don't invent stupid ideas for the next gen.

Last edited:

AntiCap

This generation has been great, and until the Switch, it was pretty much entirely PS4 for me.

I'm sure they're going to fuck up the PS5 though. It's easier to learn from a mistake than to replicate a success.

Dargor

It was a good gen, and its going out with some good games yet to come out, so yes, they do deserve some 👏

Bolivar687

Banned
When you look at that top 5-list of best selling home consoles, it's incredible that Sony has been able to provide three decades of outstanding gaming content.

I salute the PS4 for proving the doubters wrong and building a healthy ecosystem of retail and digital content.

With the introduction of these limited run store fronts my PS4 library has become my largest console library I own. Long long list of incredible game after game. It will go down as one of my favorite consoles of all time.

A.Romero

So 4 out of 5 are Sony consoles. They seem to truly know what the market wants.

Looking forward to wharever they bring in the future.

hunthunt

Banned
Far and away the best console of the generation.

And also lol @ those historical console sales, I wonder who in his right mind would think that the next Xbox whatever is called has any chance to be close in sales terms with the PlayStation 5.

Romulus

Far and away the best console of the generation.

And also lol @ those historical console sales, I wonder who in his right mind would think that the next Xbox whatever is called has any chance to be close in sales terms with the PlayStation 5.

And in terms of exclusives I have no doubt psvr2 accessory will outpace Xbox next gen as a whole. There's not even a need for regular ps5 games to be included in that comparison.

It'll be the same old song from 2011 about them buying studios with little results. Halo, gears, forza. Repeat.

Last edited:
Fantastic library of games for the majority of its run, though the last few years have been plagued with poor management, terrible choices, and needless ruination of games based on political ideological views.

Still my most played console with the most games this generation (almost at 200 physical compared to my roughly 50-ish Xbox One and 80-ish Switch titles). I hope Sony stops being cocky and gets their head firmly removed from their arse next gen.
I agree, especially about the ideological bs. That started after Jack Trenton lefr and then Kaz left. but what I want to know Is how the hell are you affording so many games/systems. I thought I had Alot with 15 physical switch games and 50 some digital (those eshop sales), over 160 ps4 titles maybe 50 physical the rest digital and yeah my 3ds and vita stuff from the start of the Gen. I have a lot of games compared to most normal people and non gamers, you have a shit ton. Guessing you review and get free games or have a very good job or live rent/wife/kid free?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I agree, especially about the ideological bs. That started after Jack Trenton lefr and then Kaz left. but what I want to know Is how the hell are you affording so many games/systems. I thought I had Alot with 15 physical switch games and 50 some digital (those eshop sales), over 160 ps4 titles maybe 50 physical the rest digital and yeah my 3ds and vita stuff from the start of the Gen. I have a lot of games compared to most normal people and non gamers, you have a shit ton. Guessing you review and get free games or have a very good job or live rent/wife/kid free?

Been collecting for over 20 years, so I have learned a few tricks such as buying cheap games or doubles and using them to trade for other games. Couple this with not having a car, doing drugs, or drinking I have a lot more spare cash than most. Plus you can get some fantastic games for super cheap if you are patient enough! The majority of my collection I purchased under 30 dollars per game.

The Shepard

Just seeing some of those games mentioned in the op fills me with nostalgia. Sony have had a great gen, with some excellent exclusives, easily the best console to own this generation for me after owing all 3. Can't wait for the sequel next year, hopefully it's a little easier on the ears.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Definitely the worst playstation generation in therms of games.

I spend nearly 3 years waiting for something to play and once i waited those 3 years i bought console mostly for monster hunter, finished P5, Bloodborne, RE7VR and Nier and i sold it as there was nothing there that interested me anymore, especially since Gran Turismo became a mess.

Simply put if you are hardcore gamer then it makes no sense to own console at all times when PC have all their games with better performance and 100s of other games it doesn't have.

My ranking:

PS1

PS2

PS3

PS4

If you lived in PS1 times every quarter of a year you would get completely new amazing game that would make you shit your pants from how awesome it was. With PS2 that trend continued but this time you had to wait half a year to year for good big game. PS3 had initially the same problem as PS4 aka long string of nothing in first 2-3 years but once it did there were some stellar games. PS4 feels like desert. It is desert of innovation and game changing games.

Bryank75

Banned
The best generation so far IMO, the quality and detail, the stories and immersion!

Look at that list of games.... I still have a massive backlog and pretty much every game is excellent.
Just finished Control, back to finish MGSV and then I'll either do Persona 5 or Days Gone before the Autumn / winter rush of games

Didn't know until now the PS3 overtook the 360, that second half of the gen really was special. Saw someone claim PS4 has had a rough last few years and couldn't disagree more with great games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, God of War, Spider-Man and more all being from the past two years.

Didn't know until now the PS3 overtook the 360, that second half of the gen really was special. Saw someone claim PS4 has had a rough last few years and couldn't disagree more with great games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, God of War, Spider-Man and more all being from the past two years.

Also Detroit Become Human!

FranXico

The PS4 first party software output rolled out pretty slowly for the first couple of years. From then on, though, nothing to complain about.

Great console with some epic games imo. Bloodborne, God of War and HZD are my darlings. I'm actually not a traditional gamers in the sense most of my gaming is usually done on exclusives so Sony always had something for me. MLB the Show, Uncharted, Astrobot, so many.
I can't agree more, the truly legendary exclusives did not come for about two years in the generation, but it still has been great since the beginning - I had tons of fun with the remasters, a few third party titles like Far Cry 4 (I can't replay this, it's like homework), but it got to legendary levels in the last few years with the return of Sony's studios in full force.

Most of my gaming diet also consists mostly of Sony titles for some reason - I do play FPS and RTS mostly on PC.

I cannot wait for PS5 and yeah the psuedo professionals definitely said console sales would be stagnant this gen and it would be the last. Low and behold thy couldn't have been more wrong. This is why alot of shit they say I don't take a face value.
Console sales did drop, I can't find the graphs, but basically the total units sold on a yearly basis is down (PS3+360+Wii+portables v.s. PS4+xb1+Switch) which means the console market has shrunk by about half over the last few years.

But yeah, the press said so much stupidities in an apparent effort to push acceptance of the xbox one, this is embarrassing! I recall seeing some video on The Verge where the "journalist" interviewed a Sony rep and scoffed at the guy in the little intro he did.

Last edited:

Södy

Best Sony exclusives for me were Ratchet & Clank and Horizon along with TLoU (not exclusive but didn't play the ps3 version).

Loved Red Dead Redemption 2. Was disappointed with GoW (loved every other GoW).

Had a blast with a friend while playing Battlefield 4 and spent quite a lot of time in NHL 15 HUT (including winning Div. 1).

Nestunt

The combination of great first-party exclusives, collaborations for diverse 2nd party, the ability to competitively run the most demanding 3rd parties, and the many remasters of my favorites from PS1 and PS2 is making the PS4 one of my favorite consoles of all-time, if not the favorite.

What a boost they gave to the games' industry. Switch is captivating a whole new generation, but PS4 is maintaining adults with disposable income engaged in the medium.

Bryank75

Banned
I know the first 2 years for many was a little hit and miss but I had a great time on Destiny 1 and met some great people.

Resogun and Infamous SS were decent too though, although there were some dry periods alright.

Doom85

Even as someone who plays on their PS4 virtually every day, the backlog I still managed to build up on this thing is unreal. I mean, my PS2 backlog was pretty big but this easily dwarfs it. Not complaining though, god damn what a killer gen this was for me.

ESPOMAN

PS4 had solid exclusives. I was not a big fan of the changes made to GOW and especially Ratchet and Clank. I wish they just remastered that one instead of tying it into the movie and take away stuff from the PS2 version. I liked PS2 and PS3 exclusives better still. Infamous Second Son and LBP 3 really didn't do anything for me. I do like Spider-Man and Dreams is cool even though idk how to work it. Horizon Zero Dawn is cool too but I don't like it as much as the other two.

small_law

PS4 should be regarded as one of the greatest consoles of all time, both for games and for the context of its release. Every shortcoming of the PS3 was remedied and all its strengths were exceeded. Sony proved that a purpose-built video game machine will always have a place in the market.

I'm still surprised at the decisions Sony made designing it, and by that I mean that they got every critical feature right. GDDR ram, x86 architecture, user-replaceable internal storage, a clean, straightforward UI, etc. More surprising was Sony's commitment to refining it over time, adding external storage, more cloud storage, PSN improvements, etc. It was an easy console to like out of the box and got easier to like over time. Even the PS4's shortcomings (weak CPU and bottlenecked SATA interface) weren't problematic enough to comprise it and probably won't before the end of its lifecycle.

So, Sony, pay Mark Cerny well and do what he says. All of you nailed it. Stay the course.

Vawn

Banned
how much did you get paid by sony to do this thread? this is embarrassing

You're right. I forgot the Internet is only to talk about how everything is crap and why that makes us mad.

I'm sorry. I just hope Jim Sterling doesn't see this thread.

Vawn

Banned
To keep the discussion going, what's your 3 top favorite PS4 console exclusives?

Personally, I'd go with

1. Bloodborne
2. Astrobot
3. God of War

Top Bottom