• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Had a weird issue with my controller.

Never experienced any controller drifting on my dual sense.

Booted up FIFA 24 and mid match I start noticing weird controller behavior when I was playing. Didn't bother much because I was winning and FIFA is one hell of scripted game sometimes.

Fast forward and went to FFVII Rebirth and noticed the exact same issue. Character moving was acting weird.

Wired the controller and the problem persisted.

I then reset the controller, turned off PS5's Bluetooth on advance settings and turned it back on. Did a system update that I had pending and appearantly the issue seems to be gone.

I said appearantly because I think I'm with phantom limb pain syndrome after experiencing the controller drift 😂

Last edited:

yurinka

Had a weird issue with my controller.

Never experienced any controller drifting on my dual sense.

Booted up FIFA 24 and mid match I start noticing weird controller behavior when I was playing. Didn't bother much because I was winning and FIFA is one hell of scripted game sometimes.

Fast forward and went to FFVII Rebirth and noticed the exact same issue. Character moving was acting weird.

Wired the controller and the problem persisted.

I then reset the controller, turned off PS5's Bluetooth on advance settings and turned it back on. Did a system update that I had pending and appearantly the issue seems to be gone.

I said appearantly because I think I'm with phantom limb pain syndrome after experiencing the controller drift 😂
Some good tips to fix the drift:
https://www.makeuseof.com/fix-drifting-ps5-dualsense-controller/

I just experienced it in Helldivers 2 when playing on PC, and increased the deadzone to 0.07 or something like that (can't remember the number) in the game settings and fixed it.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member

I just experienced it in Helldivers 2 when playing on PC, and increased the deadzone to 0.07 in the game settings and fixed it.
Interesting. Judging from the article description I didn't exactly experice controller drifting, because when left alone my controller didn't move at all.

What I noticed what when moving the sticks the characters started going in direction I was not pointing on.

Like if I had the sticks in a way the character should move left, I could feel on screen as if it was also forcing moving to the right. Really weird.

yurinka

Interesting. Judging from the article description I didn't exactly experice controller drifting, because when left alone my controller didn't move at all.

What I noticed what when moving the sticks the characters started going in direction I was not pointing on.

Like if I had the sticks in a way the character should move left, I could feel on screen as if it was also forcing moving to the right. Really weird.
As far I understand drifting is when you aren't moving to any direction but one of the analogs slightly moves, very litle, to some direction. Because when you did stop moving it did completely went back to the exact center. So putting a slightly bigger deadzone fixes it.

What you mention isn't drifting. Maybe it is that thing where you can inverse the camera in the settings of some games (or by default for all games in the console OS menu): if inverted, when pushing down the character/ship looks up when you push up the character looks down: like controlling an airplane.

If not inverted (normal controls), if you push up the character looks up, if you push down the character looks down.

https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-invert-camera-settings-how-to-invert-camera-on-ps5/#:~:text=To get started, go to,/App Settings > Game Presets.&text=As well as being able,PS5 invert camera settings here.

As I remember in the PS OS you can also remap buttons and so on, so maybe you can fix it there too.

Last edited:

Forth

I currently have the slim version and was swapping the plates for the black version.
I don't use the disc drive so changed the slim to a digital console but what realised is that the disc drive was quite warm when I removed it.
Would running the slim as a digital console help with heat dissipation as there is no disc drive blocking that side of the board?

jm89

I just experienced it in Helldivers 2 when playing on PC, and increased the deadzone to 0.07 or something like that (can't remember the number) in the game settings and fixed it.
I think deadzone increase should really be something available system wide. But then i guess it could end up negativley impacting games if the game dev devloped it with a certain value in mind maybe?

I have very minor occasional drift on my second dualsense, only noticed it on ff7 rebirth and gt7, but spiderman 2 zero drift probably due to the higher deadzone.

yurinka

I think deadzone increase should really be something available system wide. But then i guess it could end up negativley impacting games if the game dev devloped it with a certain value in mind maybe?

I have very minor occasional drift on my second dualsense, only noticed it on ff7 rebirth and gt7, but spiderman 2 zero drift probably due to the higher deadzone.
I agree, it should be something at OS level. Not sure if it's already available.

The deadzone needed to avoid drift is super small, so small that devs shouldn't notice it/care about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom