• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dolby is so much louder and full bodied on the PS5, if that makes sense, than DTS. So glad I upgraded my sound system.
I also believe it depends on your audio system processing for each codec.

PS4 it was like that for me. Dolby punched harder than DTS in the bass and mid range, however, on the PS5 they both sound identical (both punch hard), but with DTS having less audio lag overall between the two.

LPCM is the way to go. Depending on your audio setup (eARC vs ARC) you may need to plug the PS5 directly into the receiver/soundbar to get it working properly or else you’ll end up with 2.0 audio
This. Also depends if your soundbar or audio system can process LPCM in 5.1. If it's and older one or can't, then it will convert it to 2 channel stereo only, introducing even more lag than DTS. Which defeats the purpose of lossless to begin with.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I've never seen that before. How often does it do that to you?
Probably once a week now and sometimes several times a week. It only started once I got my new TV so maybe there's some handshake issues going on but it doesn't always do it so I haven't pinpointed the cause.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Probably once a week now and sometimes several times a week. It only started once I got my new TV so maybe there's some handshake issues going on but it doesn't always do it so I haven't pinpointed the cause.
That might be a possibility. Now that you mentioned it, I think someone had this issue in the past and a TV update or the like managed to fix it. Possibly disabled any HDMI Device Link temporarily?

Unknown?

That might be a possibility. Now that you mentioned it, I think someone had this issue in the past and a TV update or the like managed to fix it. Possibly disabled any HDMI Device Link temporarily?
I made sure all of that is turned on, yeah. Weird thing is my receiver won't turn on with the new TV but turning the power off turns the receiver off. Also my PS5 remote won't adjust the volume even though it is working on the TV but when I use the factory remote it does and after that the PS5 remote will work.

It's all very strange but I don't mind, just a minor inconvenience.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I made sure all of that is turned on, yeah. Weird thing is my receiver won't turn on with the new TV but turning the power off turns the receiver off. Also my PS5 remote won't adjust the volume even though it is working on the TV but when I use the factory remote it does and after that the PS5 remote will work.

It's all very strange but I don't mind, just a minor inconvenience.
Yeah, sounds possibly like a TV software bug.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is Sony not doing a state of play sale including hardware this year? (like controllers)

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I finally upgraded to 2tb of internal storage, what a game changer, it's gonna be so nice to not have to be constantly deleting stuff to save space.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Boys, i'm pretty sure i read a couple weeks back that one the latest FW updates introduced the ability to play a disc version of a game using a digital download or some shit - am i right or am i misremembering ?

Mr Hyde

JLxaZto.jpg

Swapped out my Pulse 3D headset with the Steel series arctis 7+. They are much more comfortable, more customizable and have better battery life. And since the Tempest 3D tech works with all headphones I took the plunge and changed. The 3D pulse headset was good, but they never really felt comfortable 100% of the time due to the awkward round cups. And the battery life was pretty bad too. The 7P + have both oval cups and nice, soft padding, feeling much more premium and super comfy for my ears. They are designed specifically for the PS5 but I also use them for Switch, as they work great there too. Highly recommended!

Last edited:

King Dazzar

JLxaZto.jpg

Swapped out my Pulse 3D headset with the Steel series arctis 7+. They are much more comfortable, more customizable and have better battery life. And since the Tempest 3D tech works with all headphones I took the plunge and changed. The 3D pulse headset was good, but they never really felt comfortable 100% of the time due to the awkward round cups. And the battery life was pretty bad too. The 7P + have both oval cups and nice, soft padding, feeling much more premium and super comfy for my ears. They are designed specifically for the PS5 but I also use them for Switch, as they work great there too. Highly recommended!
The thing I love about the Pulse set. Is when you turn them on, the PS5 automatically switches off the audio to my AVR and therefore my 5.1 set up automatically mutes and headphones take over the audio. i.e they integrate brilliantly with the PS5's software/OS. Do these do that too? How well do they integrate with the PS5's OS?

Thanks and glad you like them. 😎

Mr Hyde

The thing I love about the Pulse set. Is when you turn them on, the PS5 automatically switches off the audio to my AVR and therefore my 5.1 set up automatically mutes and headphones take over the audio. i.e they integrate brilliantly with the PS5's software/OS. Do these do that too? How well do they integrate with the PS5's OS?

Thanks and glad you like them. 😎

The Steelseries is not as integrated as the Pulse Headset. When you insert the dongle it automatically mutes the sound from the Soundsystem, even when you have the headset turned off, but you can change it manually in the audio tab in the control center. So you don't have to unplug the dongle every time you want to use your Soundsystem. It also doesn't show how much battery is left, as the Pulse Headset do. So the Steelseries come with some drawbacks but I think they are very minor in comparison to the quality of the rest of the headset ☺️

R6Rider

Gold Member
Finally decided to get an M.2 SSD for my PS5.

Going with the Corsair MP600 PRO LPX (2TB) which has speeds over 7100 and a heat sink.

A friend of mine shared this video with me recently and I thought that other PS fans might be interested in watching. Oh and If someone wants to make a thread based on the info here, be my guest.

Last edited:
Snagged an awesome collectors edition of The Ascent. Came with a steelbook and premium artbook with lots of nice pictures from the game. This game looks so cool. A twin stick shooter in a cyberpunk setting. I mean, can it get any cooler?

qvXyOlh.jpg

BuAAey7.jpg
That's a a good get! Loved the game and I too have grabbed The Ascent edition during last year's Black Friday albeit the PS4 one since it was significantly cheaper than the PS5 one (wanna trade? :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

harry188

Banned
Hopefully it will help to contain the proliferation of SSD threads, while keeping the the never-ending console-warring out.

zapper

we are in september, every year in this month ps does a show, do you expect something? if yes when and what, a sop or a showcase? usually there are rumors around these events before they are announced, for now everything seems very silent to me.

edit: I think it's time for the uk account leads playstation social communication anyway

Last edited:

zapper

I've received this from a friend of mine on Discord, and I'm almost sure this is a fake. What the hell though, I'll just share it anyway.

20230912_182010.jpg

this is clearly fake, just important medium/large stuff without even some indie or vr games.

with the spiderman previews coming out on Friday I think there won't be a sop this week. at this point or next week with the tgs or I think PS won't communicate anything until the release of spiderman :/

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Lol come on…the spelling of confidentional infomation

And you wonder if it’s a fake Email?

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a German PS5. I have a boatload of questions though from my 5 minutes of googling (apologies n thanks in advance)

I live in Estonia (not one of the supported countries I guess): will i be limited to buying games in a specific region?
  1. Which country should i tie my account to?
  2. Can i buy physical games from anywhere - what about digital? Im 99% digital.
Are there any differences for the regular controllers? I've read some threads of triggers dying :messenger_expressionless:
I need a wireless headset i can use btwn my PC, PS5 and X rather easily - any recommendations?
I can't get a definitive answer on which plug type the German PS5 comes with (C or F)
The unit is coming from Amazon Germany - should i be worried about anything?

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a German PS5. I have a boatload of questions though from my 5 minutes of googling (apologies n thanks in advance)

I live in Estonia (not one of the supported countries I guess): will i be limited to buying games in a specific region?
  1. Which country should i tie my account to?
  2. Can i buy physical games from anywhere - what about digital? Im 99% digital.
Are there any differences for the regular controllers? I've read some threads of triggers dying :messenger_expressionless:
I need a wireless headset i can use btwn my PC, PS5 and X rather easily - any recommendations?
I can't get a definitive answer on which plug type the German PS5 comes with (C or F)
The unit is coming from Amazon Germany - should i be worried about anything?

1. Whichever is easy for you to get psn credit/codes or whatever is cheaper. Find out what kind of PSN codes you can get and start from there.

2. Yes, the console is not region locked and neither are games as far as I know.

No differences in controllers, wether you find trigger or stick drift issues is more or less random depending on use and the particular controller.

PS5 headsets are usually compatible with PC and other devices but not xbox, xbox ones are the same, no PS compatibility.

Germany should be type F but im not german and cant confirm. The PS5 uses a regular ass power cable so replacing it with a compatible one shouldnt be an issue. Worst case scenario use a plug adapter.

Enjoy your PS5!

Kindela

Banned
Why is voice control only available for US and the UK? It's been 3 years since the console release, and I still can't open youtube or whatever and yell into my remote, ridiculous. Isn't it more work to lock this from other countries than it is to release it everywhere? Is the money I paid with for my ps5 less valuable than the one US/UK folk paid with?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I finally reached the point where I need to expand my storage. This Sabrent 2TB Rocket 4 Plus looks pretty good, and it's dirt cheap for 2 TB.

Time to start reading some reviews I guess.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Now might be the last time to get brand new PS5 fat and store it.
We all know this will be THE PS5 EXPERIENCE with Astro playroom featuring fat ps5 in there. I wonder if they will update it!
Is the last fat revision good compared to release one? I am thinking if I want to secure myself with one or two fat units before they are out

Celcius

°Temp. member
For those of you who added an ssd that didn’t come with a heatsink, what heatsink did you buy for your ssd?

mako

Which new 2/4TB SSD is GAFs favourite? Getting tired of managing storage.

Guessing it's between the SN850x and the 990 Pro, just waiting for a good deal on Black Friday either way.

SRTtoZ

So I have an OG disc version. I grabbed a slim version with the disc just b/c I was bored and wanted to grab one before they all sold out for some holiday rush. Anyway, I was thinking of using it as my main PS5 and then selling my OG but I'm trying to think of a reason to do so. Is it better in ANY way besides having 1tb instead of 675 or whatever the OG has? Not a huge deal to me since I have a 2tb Aorus nvme installed. I like that its smaller b/c my OG is sitting horizontal in a media bay that JUST fits it, so a smaller console might dissipate heat a bit better that would be cool. I have a PSVR2 so the 2 USB C's are nice for the front, but again not game changers. I do have a Cosmic Red and now the new Cobalt Blue PS5 covers which are cool but I am thinking Sony will eventually come out with Lite covers, no? When it comes to heat, or noise, does the Lite do anything better? I haven't read one way or another. It seems to be very minor if so. Talk me into or out of it pls.

Worst case scenario, I Just return it to Best Buy b/c they have extended holiday return widows. If I sell my OG for like $400 with a set of colored plates, I feel like the end result would be a PS5 Lite for only about $100. Not bad but is it worth it?

LASTLY: I NEED PSN FRIENDS! Can people add me? I'm cool, sexy and I can self suck. Anyways, PSN name is OBlastSRT4

a lot of my old PSN friends came from 'old gaf' or as we like to say, resetera *puke*. Pls new friends. PLS!

SRTtoZ

FYI guys DualSense controllers are on sale for $50 at BestBuy, Amazon, etc...
Just picked up a blue one.

I bought the new Volcanic Red and Cobalt Blue on Best Buys site for 74.99. A few days later I noticed they were all on sale for $49.99 so I contacted them and they matched it and gave me my money back! Great deal. Also grabbed a Cobalt Blue Cover. It's sick. Cobalt blue FTW. The red is also REALLY nice. Way better than the Cosmic red. I liked it but this has a shine to it that the cosmic was missing. All I need is a sick Orange color and I'll never have to buy another color ever again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom