• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why am I excited about an ssd ? :D haha
I am a physical user but the deals on psn are striking recently... I feel like a fool paying more for physical but I want physical.
I guess big SSD will only confuse me more!
Do I set to "default install" all games on the 2tb ssd? Are saves, screenshots, patches and everything all still on internal ssd?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Why am I excited about an ssd ? :D haha
I am a physical user but the deals on psn are striking recently... I feel like a fool paying more for physical but I want physical.
I guess big SSD will only confuse me more!
Do I set to "default install" all games on the 2tb ssd? Are saves, screenshots, patches and everything all still on internal ssd?
Do you have PS+ Extra or Premium? That's a good reason to be excited about extra storage.

Naru

Got my black faceplates from amazon today. They were like $34 after coupon. They look wayyy better than og white plates, imo.
sTtEWuf.jpg
Looking good but I prefer the ones without the neck/collar thing. like the Darkplates 2.0. The vent holes suck though.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Looking good but I prefer the ones without the neck/collar thing. like the Darkplates 2.0. The vent holes suck though.
This was the exact thought process I had. All the contoured plates had some variation of vent on the top and bottom which I didn't like, so I ended up just going with these regular, budget plates and I'm really happy with them.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Dolby is so much louder and full bodied on the PS5, if that makes sense, than DTS. So glad I upgraded my sound system.

drganon

I probably shouldn't have since I got stuff in my backlog, but I got some stuff from the golden week sale :

The great ace Attorney chronicles
Shining resonance refrain
Labyrinth of refrain : coven of dusk

All for slightly under 50 usd. I'm going to be playing ps4 games on my ps5 forever it seems.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Quick question...

What's the best 3.5 plug into Dual sense audio solution out there?
I just use Pulse 3d wirelessly... but I used Koss Porta Pro for whole ps4 gen and it was fantastic. Light, amazing sound quality, short cable .It's good.

Anyway. Installed wd sn850x 2tb!!!
Went super smooth, ps asked to reformat, I moved all the games and set it as default location.
Strange that full 2tb is shown as available. Shouldn't it be like 1.7tb? Did hdd makers finally stopped the 1024kb scam ?!
m6tCsGk.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The game catalog with Premium is insane. So many games I either missed or never heard of. And then there's the classics to mine.

For example: I wish I had known Hollow Knight was this good. At least I get the super-duper massive DLC version for "free" to play now.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
OK boys, a technical question since I'm ignorant hen it comes to these things :

My set-up:
LG C2
PS5 connected to the C2 via HDMI 2.1 high-speed cable.
Both the PS5 and C2 color space are set to "auto".

Now, going to the PS5's video output info, it says YUV422 instead of "RGB HDR" - is this normal ?
I swear that it used to say "RGB HDR" a couple of months back.

I have both VRR enabled (automatic) and 120Hz output (automatic).

Edit : just tried again and now it says RGB HDR ?
It's the weirdest thing it comes and it goes - maybe I should just set both my TV and PS5 to something else besides "auto" ?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OK boys, a technical question since I'm ignorant hen it comes to these things :

My set-up:
LG C2
PS5 connected to the C2 via HDMI 2.1 high-speed cable.
Both the PS5 and C2 color space are set to "auto".

Now, going to the PS5's video output info, it says YUV422 instead of "RGB HDR" - is this normal ?
I swear that it used to say "RGB HDR" a couple of months back.

I have both VRR enabled (automatic) and 120Hz output (automatic).

Edit : just tried again and now it says RGB HDR ?
It's the weirdest thing it comes and it goes - maybe I should just set both my TV and PS5 to something else besides "auto" ?
It's HDR RGB at 60hz so in system menu.
When You launch a game, it switches to 422 to compress the signal into 32gbps that ps5 is only capable of.

ps5 auto andc2 auto is the correct setting for the color stuff.
edit: TO be more clear. It s 422 for 120hz games only !

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
It's HDR RGB at 60hz so in system menu.
When You launch a game, it switches to 422 to compress the signal into 32gbps that ps5 is only capable of.

ps5 auto andc2 auto is the correct setting for the color stuff.

Aha ! So Rof, it's a PS5 HDMI 2.1 limitation (32Gbps output).

To see if I'm understanding things clearly :
- PS5 UI/dashboard runs at 60fps so when I go to to video output information I'll see RGB HDR displayed.

- When I launch a game , and since I also have VRR/120Hz enabled in the system settings (even if the game doesn't support it) and I go to the video output settings I should be seeing YUV423 (HDR) since - again - it's a PS5 HDMI 2.1 output limitation.

Do I have this right friend ?

Cheers

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Aha ! So Rof, it's a PS5 HDMI 2.1 limitation (32Gbps output).

To see if I'm understanding things clearly :
- PS5 UI/dashboard runs at 60fps so when I go to to video output information I'll see RGB HDR displayed.

- When I launch a game , and since I also have VRR/120Hz enabled in the system settings (even if the game doesn't support it) and I go to the video output settings I should be seeing YUV423 (HDR) since - again - it's a PS5 HDMI 2.1 output limitation.

Do I have this right friend ?

Cheers
Exactly that. 120hz at 4k hdr can only be done by using 422 on ps5 due to i's hdmi chip limitation at 32gbps.
It's a ps5 limitation but don't let it bother you. There shouldn't be a visible image quality difference outside of test patter from rtings.

Also. What everyone is saying about switching c1/c2 to PC input label is true. I tested it.
If you are using default c2 console input label, even at 60hz, despite the green button(you click 7 times on remote to view details) menu reporting RGB HDR, it is still 422 underneath.
In order to be able to display full real 60hz hdr RGB, a pc label must be used on lg c1/c2.
But at 120hz, it makes zero difference. Only at 60hz but you would still not be able to find any image quality difference.

You can get test pattern here. You do need to put that image inside 4k picture though, so that ps5 media gallery is not scaling it.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Exactly that. 120hz at 4k hdr can only be done by using 422 on ps5 due to i's hdmi chip limitation at 32gbps.
It's a ps5 limitation but don't let it bother you. There shouldn't be a visible image quality difference outside of test patter from rtings.

Also. What everyone is saying about switching c1/c2 to PC input label is true. I tested it.
If you are using default c2 console input label, even at 60hz, despite the green button(you click 7 times on remote to view details) menu reporting RGB HDR, it is still 422 underneath.
In order to be able to display full real 60hz hdr RGB, a pc label must be used on lg c1/c2.
But at 120hz, it makes zero difference. Only at 60hz but you would still not be able to find any image quality difference.

You can get test pattern here. You do need to put that image inside 4k picture though, so that ps5 media gallery is not scaling it.

Thanks for the thorough reply friend, I really appreciate it 😉.

Took a look on the internet before posting in here but they were older posts dating back to 2020/2021 and I got even more confused...

Thanks again for the help, cheers brother!

Dthomp

Diablo finally pushed me to upgrade to a 2 TB. We’re in the sweet spot on game releases now where storage gets tight.

I'm sweating over here worrying about HD space, I've got just under 200 and am getting D4 in a couple days (Likely along with the huge SF6), and have Fight Forever at the end of the month. I really need to look into extra HD options for my ps5

NickFire

I'm sweating over here worrying about HD space, I've got just under 200 and am getting D4 in a couple days (Likely along with the huge SF6), and have Fight Forever at the end of the month. I really need to look into extra HD options for my ps5
wds are 1/2 off at Amazon and Best Buy I think.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
So i want to remove the panels for cleaning.

Watched a vid.

Logo corner lift+slide it down. I tried but i really had to use a lot of force. So i said fuck it. I'll try it another time.

Any advice?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So i want to remove the panels for cleaning.

Watched a vid.

Logo corner lift+slide it down. I tried but i really had to use a lot of force. So i said fuck it. I'll try it another time.

Any advice?
Just pull UP on the bac logo part. Ten forward towards disc drive.
I did it few times. Super easy once you get it

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What are the best deals for PS Store credits? Costco is doing 4x$25 for $79.99 ( 10 bucks off their usual price) I was going to stock up but limit 2 per member.

NixForlorn

Neo Member
I remember hearing a while back that having the PS5 up vertically could cause issues. Something about the liquid metal inside it.
Anyone had any issues with this?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Hope that someone can clarify this :

Can i BUY the games (so that i can actually own them) that i have already downloaded via PS plus and Ps Plus Extra ?
Reason i'm asking is : there are some games in the new discounts that i had already downloaded and installed via PS plus Extra but i'd actually be interested in buying them outright, thing is, when i go over a game's tab/page, i only get "play now" for those i have installed and "download" for those i had redeemed but don't have installed, there's no "buy now" option, no price, nothing...

I'm pretty sure that some time ago there was a "buy" option even when checking out games already redeem via PS plus/Extra - am i just misremembering things ?

Please don't tell me that i have to have my sub lapse before being able to actually buy game i had redeemed in the past, 'cause, holy shit if it is so...

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Days of Play is only during the first 15 days of June?

I thought it was the entire month, and since I have my PS Plus Premium renovation next month, I was thinking of buying right now.

To my surprise the campaign is gone.

asks mr bean GIF

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hope that someone can clarify this :

Can i BUY the games (so that i can actually own them) that i have already downloaded via PS plus and Ps Plus Extra ?
Reason i'm asking is : there are some games in the new discounts that i had already downloaded and installed via PS plus Extra but i'd actually be interested in buying them outright, thing is, when i go over a game's tab/page, i only get "play now" for those i have installed and "download" for those i had redeemed but don't have installed, there's no "buy now" option, no price, nothing...

I'm pretty sure that some time ago there was a "buy" option even when checking out games already redeem via PS plus/Extra - am i just misremembering things ?

Please don't tell me that i have to have my sub lapse before being able to actually buy game i had redeemed in the past, 'cause, holy shit if it is so...

Thanks in advance
Yes.

You have to drop the 3-dot (...) menu down down and select a different version. It defaults to the one you have which is the PS+ version, you can select a different version for purchase.

Days of Play is only during the first 15 days of June?

I thought it was the entire month, and since I have my PS Plus Premium renovation next month, I was thinking of buying right now.

To my surprise the campaign is gone.

asks mr bean GIF
It was always about two weeks from what I remember.

NickFire

Went on a downloading spree after upgrading to the 2 TB. So um, when do you all think 4Tb will be under 200? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also - we have hit the sweet spot in the new generation lads. I've got enough games to lock myself away for two weeks without getting bored, still haven't even bought GOW, and fall games will be here in months. Loving this generation.

Klosshufvud

Just bought a 1TB NvME SSD with heatsink for like 60€. It's the cheapest SSD money can buy but I'm sure it will get the job done just fine. Like others have mentioned, game releases are coming in hot now so gotta keep that storage up.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Yes.

You have to drop the 3-dot (...) menu down down and select a different version. It defaults to the one you have which is the PS+ version, you can select a different version for purchase.

It was always about two weeks from what I remember.

Hey Enigma ;)

OK, so, that doesn't work man, the sub-menu only shows the current edition (which i own via PS plus extra) and the Deluxe one which doesn't let me buy it since i already "own" the normal one, there's no "buy" option unfortunately...and here's the thing, on SOME games like Death stranding DE, even though i had downloaded it in the past, if i go to the 3 dots menu it actually gives me the option to buy it - what a fucking mess man, maybe it's on a per-game basis ? Fuck if i know, nothing makes sense on this ancient, held-by-a-thread PS Store, MF'ers really need to redesign how things work.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hey Enigma ;)

OK, so, that doesn't work man, the sub-menu only shows the current edition (which i own via PS plus extra) and the Deluxe one which doesn't let me buy it since i already "own" the normal one, there's no "buy" option unfortunately...and here's the thing, on SOME games like Death stranding DE, even though i had downloaded it in the past, if i go to the 3 dots menu it actually gives me the option to buy it - what a fucking mess man, maybe it's on a per-game basis ? Fuck if i know, nothing makes sense on this ancient, held-by-a-thread PS Store, MF'ers really need to redesign how things work.
Which game are you trying to buy? I notice there was a very small handful that was impacted before the changes.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Which game are you trying to buy? I notice there was a very small handful that was impacted before the changes.

Returnal, Demon's souls - both downloaded via PS extra.

Death stranding DE, for some reason, gives me the option to actually buy it...

Shit doesn't make sense

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Returnal, Demon's souls - both downloaded via PS extra.

Death stranding DE, for some reason, gives me the option to actually buy it...

Shit doesn't make sense
Ah, okay. I don't know how Extra works.

I know for PS+ free games, they have a separate purchase option. For Extra, I think you need it to expire.

I do know Death Stranding game someone else had an issue before when the upgrade happened. He called Sony and they gave him the PS5 version due to the error.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Ah, okay. I don't know how Extra works.

I know for PS+ free games, they have a separate purchase option. For Extra, I think you need it to expire.

I do know Death Stranding game someone else an issue before when the upgrade happened. He called Sony and they gave him the PS5 version due to the error.

Wait for the sub to expire? Loooord ! 🤣🤣🤣
Man, Sony really needs to short this shit out, it's ... friggin ancient by today's standards ffs...

Thanks for the help friend

LuisBell

Neo Member
I don't know if somebody already posted this but Playstation 5 will get a massive discount (-100€) from 1st to 15th of July. This is the advertisement in Portugal:

dq3c37e.jpg

It's in portuguese and it translated to "Yes, Now you can live your own story with Playstation 5 ... from 1st to 15th of July 100€ Discount".

Last edited:
2 questions.

1. I have a 2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD to install, will any regular heatsink work or is there anything specific I should be looking for?

2. Is making new region accounts still the same, just make it and buy codes from that region? I don’t need a registered address or credit card from that region?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't know if somebody already posted this but Playstation 5 will get a massive discount (-100€) from 1st to 15th of July. This is the advertisement in Portugal:

dq3c37e.jpg

It's in portuguese and it translated to "Yes, Now you can live your own story with Playstation 5 ... from 1st to 15th of July 100€ Discount".
Clearing stock for the heavily rumored revision.

Unknown?

Anyone else's PS5 do this weird crap where in rest mode, you hit the PS button so it turns on, but it turns on just to tell you it's going back into rest mode?

Afterwards no controllers turn it on, you have to get up and press the button on the console and suddenly all controllers work again.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
So, my 3 month's old black Dualsense started doing this :

Funny thing ? When i blew some air between the L1 and L2 buttons it would stop for a minute or two but the sound and "grindy" feeling would always come back.

Took the L1 button off, sprayed some contact cleaner on the trigger spring and thank God that solved it for the time being.

Posting this in case anyone encounters the same thing, cheers

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Anyone else's PS5 do this weird crap where in rest mode, you hit the PS button so it turns on, but it turns on just to tell you it's going back into rest mode?

Afterwards no controllers turn it on, you have to get up and press the button on the console and suddenly all controllers work again.
I've never seen that before. How often does it do that to you?

Top Bottom