• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The names aren't even official, but they took the move list Tribal24 and I made as gospel or something. This is exactly why I wanted Superbot to give me the official names of the attacks.

Ran rp

If you're just about winning, and the player who you feel is close behind you on the scoreboard has a guaranteed kills Level 3 (Parappa for instance,) can you keep them in a state that prevents them from getting a window to use their super while the clock winds down?

You can attempt to juggle them in the air for as long as possible or drain their AP by continuously throwing and attacking them, giving them little room to retaliate and fill it back up. I did that to Parappa once, haha.

Boss Man

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/PaRappa_the_Rapper

3y0Td.png

HAHAHAAHAHAHA Seriously? Can anyone edit that IGN wiki or something?

*I guess so, every member can edit it, haha.
Hahaha, games journalism.

SSReborn

It just shows how subjective it ballencing is right now. Its completely situational lol.

I think they base it upon which level 3's are the strongest because the way they made it sound when they were talking talking about Sly is like they wanted a stronger level 3 to go along with his strong ass Level 1 and 2. Or maybe they just don't block I could only see Kratos being hard for someone who doesn't block.

PSY・S;40766601 said:
You can attempt to juggle them in the air for as long as possible or drain their AP by continuously throwing and attacking them, giving them little room to retaliate and fill it back up. I did that to Parappa once, haha.

Cheers. Didn't even know AP could be drained :p

Is it drained in the way that you gain the AP they lose, or do they just lose it?

Ran rp

Cheers. Didn't even know AP could be drained :p

Is it drained in the way that you gain the AP they lose, or do they just lose it?

When a player is thrown some of their AP flies out of them as AP orbs which can be collected by anyone. Sly is capable of stealing the AP directly.

If you're just about winning, and the player who you feel is close behind you on the scoreboard has a guaranteed kills Level 3 (Parappa for instance,) can you keep them in a state that prevents them from getting a window to use their super while the clock winds down?

Haven't played the beta, but I assume you can just beat them up to prevent them from gaining AP.

TheMink

I think they base it upon which level 3's are the strongest because the way they made it sound when they were talking talking about Sly is like they wanted a stronger level 3 to go along with his strong ass Level 1 and 2. Or maybe they just don't block I could only see Kratos being hard for someone who doesn't block.

Yeah Kratos vs Sly is definitely a bad matchup.

TheMink

Yeah, except for one paragraph. Talks about Radec's and Fat Princess' supers being too good then calls Sly's invisibility useless...Agree to disagree with them there haha

They obviously have no idea what they are talking about.
When people pull search and destroy supers, slys invisibility is invaluable. Unless I'm completely in an unsalvageable situation, I virtually never get hit with those kinds of supers because of the combination of invisi and high jump and glide.

Also I'm offended no one even said anything about the essay I wrote }:(

SSReborn

Yeah, except for one paragraph. Talks about Radec's and Fat Princess' supers being too good then calls Sly's invisibility useless...Agree to disagree with them there haha

No he said blocking feels useless because it feels laggy

Blocking for all characters that have the ability -- Sly Cooper actually goes invisible instead -- feels really laggy and useless as a result. Since blocking is a quintessential feature for any fighting game, it makes this beta feel incomplete in a big way. I hope the delayed block is something that will be addressed in the future.

Also I'm offended no one even said anything about the essay I wrote }:(

From an outsider's perspective, it does seem weird that it takes too long to go from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. You're just stalling yourself and people around you get kill points while you're still building and when you finally get a level 3, you might not even get enough kills to catch up.

SSReborn

Ah my bad. Ignored the dashes haha. The super thing struck me as odd though. How could you say that about Fatty's but not Sly's?

Well he said they were the characters he used so I guess he was doing well with them and considered them really good supers.

Is it commonly known that you can make FP's super come out faster by press R2 again but the length that it travels is shorter. I think that something my friend figured out.

He's definitely right about the blocking feeling laggy. I hope Superbot sharpen up the response time by the time BR goes gold, because in the beta it's way too lacklustre and unreliable. He's right about the specific overpowered specials and the sub-standard Sandover Village stage too. Actually he's pretty much right about everything - it's still an incredibly fun and addictive game, warts 'n all.

For once I don't feel grubby after reading a Destructoid article. Maybe because Jim Sterling didn't write it.

jondabomb

Because of the changes to the Smash Bros. formula, All-Stars is a much more complex and chaotic game (at first). For a concept with such mass appeal, this fighter has one of the steepest learning curves in recent memory, because it requires you to forget everything you know about the genre. Even when you wrap your head around the game’s controls and combat, you’ll need to relearn so much as you go from character to character since they each play differently. You can still jump into a match and have fun mashing buttons, but if you play to win, you’ll want to dedicate some time to learning the game.

From the destructoid preview. While I and most others here enjoy the complexity of the game, I think that what he says in the paragraph above is going to hurt the game in terms of sales to the more casual fans. I just think that adding the complexity sacrifices some of the intuitiveness that makes a game more approachable.

TheMink

From an outsider's perspective, it does seem weird that it takes too long to go from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. You're just stalling yourself and people around you get kill points while you're still building and when you finally get a level 3, you might not even get enough kills to catch up.

Aha! Thank you :p

Ya, it definitely feels like a waste of time while your commiting to the lvl3, and then when it actually ends up being a waste of time you just feel like an idiot.

If gauge building went faster after the lvl1 and 2 mark I just think it would be more fun more than anything.

SSReborn

Wait why don't people like Sandover? Haha

I think maybe because its hard to get back on to the level when you get knocked down?

I personally don't have trouble doing so nor do I dislike the level but I play as Kratos and Sly usually. Though in truth it does make me wish the game had a edge grapple animation to get back on to the level if only to make it even easier to do so.

From the destructoid preview. While I and most others here enjoy the complexity of the game, I think that what he says in the paragraph above is going to hurt the game in terms of sales to the more casual fans. I just think that adding the complexity sacrifices some of the intuitiveness that makes a game more approachable.

This is exactly what I thought when I played the beta I think I even posted it in the beta thread it seems like you need to know have a moderate understanding about fighters with this game more so then Smash. You need to be aware of what moves do what and when is the best time to use each move more meter management you need to keep an eye on what your opponents lifebars look like and other things. I however prefer a more complex experience to a casual one.

^ Maybe another platform down-left would help? That place looks really empty.

Aha! Thank you :p

Ya, it definitely feels like a waste of time while your commiting to the lvl3, and then when it actually ends up being a waste of time you just feel like an idiot.

If gauge building went faster after the lvl1 and 2 mark I just think it would be more fun more than anything.

Maybe it would be better if super building is a tad faster, but the supers themselves would be nerfed where necessary.

TheMink

To the above^

I guess the fact that the rounds are so short make it more noticeable.

And ideal game length for me would allow time for 3 lvl1s 2 lvl2s and 1 lvl3
Instead of commiting to something really risky at the beginning of a match.

It just has an odd environmental structure to it that is detrimental to combat in general, like landing in the water and having to make your way back up. I find it awkward.

Ya you can't really do anything in the water, if everything was like normal even in the water it would make the level way better IMO.
The shark fish could still come through occasionally. And maybe actually hit people lol.

EDIT: lurker shark I mean :p

SSReborn

^ Maybe another platform down-left would help? That place looks really empty.

Maybe it would be better if super building is a tad faster, but the supers themselves would be nerfed where necessary.

Yes that would work even if it was just there to help get up to the main portion of the level faster. As it is now when most people are knocked down they usually swim to the middle of the stage and get back up from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6u_Zva5oDY&feature=player_detailpage#t=35s

Wouldn't that Kratos move overpower Parappa's 1000 fists in the beta build of the game

Other things I'm noticing is that the speakerbox doesn't throw the AP as far.

Another problem could be that the small platform would be used for campers. :x Maybe not really applicable to the current 6 characters, but the other 16-18 might have more benefit from secluded areas, even though the stages aren't huge.

-----------

Also, I wanted to do some opinion gauging. We have a new and updated discussion thread ready to be posted, but we are waiting for the right time before Gamescom.

http://gamescom.eu.playstation.com/ On Tuesday August 14 (5 days and 22 hours from now), the Sony event will be streamed live.

What do you guys think a good date would be to post the thread? Loud and I were thinking on Monday, but maybe some of you guys want to ditch this one earlier and start off fresh. Let us know and if many people say DO IT TODAY then we'll ask a mod to close this one down.

TheMink

Another problem could be that the small platform would be used for campers. :x Maybe not really applicable to the current 6 characters, but the other 16-18 might have more benefit from secluded areas, even though the stages aren't huge.

-----------

Also, I wanted to do some opinion gauging. We have a new and updated discussion thread ready to be posted, but we are waiting for the right time before Gamescom.

http://gamescom.eu.playstation.com/ On Tuesday August 14 (5 days and 22 hours from now), the Sony event will be streamed live.

What do you guys think a good date would be to post the thread? Loud and I were thinking on Monday, but maybe some of you guys want to ditch this one earlier and start off fresh. Let us know and if many people say DO IT TODAY then we'll ask a mod to close this one down.

DO IT TODAY!

SSReborn

Maybe the second thread can spawn some new discussion to hold us off until Gamescom.

It could be started today to go along with the new previews from the press.

Oh and one more thing if we wait until Monday won't there be a new thread for the character announcements that will take precedent over the discussion thread and basically cause it to die off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom