• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

I prefer Sony hardware with Nintendo software so it would be better for Nintendo to drop out in my opinion. Join forces with Sony and help on R&D and software.
I love Sony's willingness to back risky, experimental games with big budgets, so yeah, if Nintendo could do software, R&D and advise on the innovative aspects of hardware, while Sony handles the tech and publishing and all that, it wouldn't be so bad.

after watching a couple video, Hades stages looks boring. flat empty space with a bit platform on left and right, not really much room to maneuver or escape. LBP level though is awesome, the center tree provide plenty of platforming so you can escape to and there's also interesting stuff happening on the left and right part.

it would be so cool if the level layout is dynamic or having a number of preset that it can change to over the match. like maybe in the lbp level, you don't always get that tree everytime, but it can be build to a different layout entirely.

KingK

I've always been confused about this. Does Disney own the character of Sora or is it SE? Is it both? Why wouldn't Disney allow it though? There's no blood in the game and wouldn't they get payed for using Sora? or are they just that greedy?

I'm pretty sure it's SE and Disney that own him? And Disney doesn't like letting anybody else mess with their properties, I believe.

Endo Punk

Serious story leak!

Playstation characters are going on a field trip when they get gassed and find themselves trapped on a remote island. Kaz Hirai walks in and lets them know that the Sony heads are sick of them not making more profit; told that they will have to fight each other to the death and all have these neck bracelets that will explode in designated areas on the island at given times.

Now at this point Crash Bandicoot rebels and gets a knife through his head, and Spyro gets his head blown off to show the others that Sony is not just talking shit.

While everyone is stunned by the two deaths, Kaz puts a video which shows Shuhei explain the rest and then it's all GO GO GO. You choose your character and fight in story mode.

KevinCow

Banned
50/50 seems way too much. I don't want them just throwing in any 3rd party character who's ever made an appearance on a Playstation. For a 3rd party to be in, I want them to have to have been exclusive to Playstation at one point, and to have been vital in building Playstation's popularity or identity.

Snake, Cloud, Lara Croft, Crash, and Spyro are the only ones that I think should definitely be in. I'd also be open to Dante from DMC and some more obscure characters like Selvaria from VC. But if we get to the point where characters like Ezio, James Bond (lol), CoD soldier, or whatever are put in, I'll be a little disappointed.

I feel like there are more third-party characters who people at one point considered vital and exclusive to the Playstation brand, but for some reason I'm totally drawing a blank.

The first five you mentioned all represent the PS1 era well, but I feel like there were a ton of huge PS2 exclusives that I'm having trouble recalling. I guess GTA3 was a pretty big deal, but I'm not sure if Claude would make a great fighting game character. Maybe a Liberty City stage?

Someday when Apple destroys Sony so that they survive only as a game studio, and said game studio joins forces with Nintendo to combat Apple, we'll have an All-Stars vs. Smash Bros. game, and in its greatness it will overthrow Apple, and children will play in the streets.

Why would they be playing in the streets when they could be at home playing Smash Bros. vs. PS All-Stars?

KillGore

I'm pretty sure it's SE and Disney that own him? And Disney doesn't like letting anybody else mess with their properties, I believe.

That's a real shame. Sora would fit amazingly in that game, one of the best characters for a fighting game like this. You think Nintendo could have a better chance of convincing Disney? I'm guessing no...darn.

I feel like there are more third-party characters who people at one point considered vital and exclusive to the Playstation brand, but for some reason I'm totally drawing a blank.

The first five you mentioned all represent the PS1 era well, but I feel like there were a ton of huge PS2 exclusives that I'm having trouble recalling. I guess GTA3 was a pretty big deal, but I'm not sure if Claude would make a great fighting game character. Maybe a Liberty City stage?

Why would they be playing in the streets when they could be at home playing Smash Bros. vs. PS All-Stars?

Onimusha, Xenosaga, Persona, KH, Yakuza, ZoE...

tons of great PS2 games that are exclusive

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It seems like there are less iconic characters on the PS2, the only iconic 3rd party PS2 characters that I could think of are Sora, Tidus (and Yuna), and Dante. I could include Leon but he's more on the GC side.

KingK

I would not be upset if this guy made a guest appearance

orig-9438211.jpg

Also, it seems like it's calmed down in here a lot, which is nice, but I imagine as soon as more news is released and we get a new thread the shit throwing will begin anew.

cednym

Banned
It seems like there are less iconic characters on the PS2, the only iconic 3rd party PS2 characters that I could think of are Sora, Tidus (and Yuna), and Dante. I could include Leon but he's more on the GC side.

Considering their influence and how well they sold, I'd consider any of the PS2 Grand Theft Auto characters (Claude, Tommy, and CJ) as iconic.

libregkd

While not exactly on the same level as using a character in a game, they did allow a Pirates of the Caribbean levels/costumes as well as Toy Story/The Incredibles costumes in LBP.

/still holding out hope

prwxv3

http://venturebeat.com/2012/04/27/playstation-all-star-battle-royale-really-though-preview/

However, the developer seems to be ignoring the giant elephant in the room: Are the PlayStation characters featured actually classic enough to warrant a game where its success is based on gamers’ nostalgia for the characters?

For instance, how does our love for Fat Princess compare at all to our love of Princess Peach or Princess Zelda? It doesn’t. You could be the biggest Twisted Metal fan in the world, and Battle Royale would probably not be nearly as fun as the car-exploding excitement of the actual game. This button-masher, scheduled for release sometime during the holidays, seems like it will end up a novelty for collectors and, unfortunately for Sony, a dust-collector.

Sure is subtle.

lordmrw

Serious story leak!

Playstation characters are going on a field trip when they get gassed and find themselves trapped on a remote island. Kaz Hirai walks in and lets them know that the Sony heads are sick of them not making more profit; told that they will have to fight each other to the death and all have these neck bracelets that will explode in designated areas on the island at given times.

Now at this point Crash Bandicoot rebels and gets a knife through his head, and Spyro gets his head blown off to show the others that Sony is not just talking shit.

While everyone is stunned by the two deaths, Kaz puts a video which shows Shuhei explain the rest and then it's all GO GO GO. You choose your character and fight in story mode.

I see someone read Battle Royale.

KingK

While not exactly on the same level as using a character in a game, they did allow a Pirates of the Caribbean levels/costumes as well as Toy Story/The Incredibles costumes in LBP.

/still holding out hope

Ohh, that's true, I forgot. That does give me a bit of hope for Sora after all, if they were able to get Disney costumes in LBP (I think LBP costumes are a good indication of potential third parties Sony could work with on this). I'd certainly love to see Sora, because he really was one of the defining pillars for PS2 to me, along with Jak, Ratchet, Sly, and Kratos.

KillGore

/still holding out hope

Ohh, that's true, I forgot. That does give me a bit of hope for Sora after all, if they were able to get Disney costumes in LBP (I think LBP costumes are a good indication of potential third parties Sony could work with on this). I'd certainly love to see Sora, because he really was one of the defining pillars for PS2 to me, along with Jak, Ratchet, Sly, and Kratos.

Stop ;( you guys brought me from the hype cloud and slapped some sense into me and now you're trying to give me hope again. That's mean.

So we have talked characters but what themed stages would Gaf like?

A flower stage would be pretty.

A Gran Turismo or wipeout stage with cars driving by as obstacles.

But I really want some representation of GT in the game be it a level or a fighting Skyline. :p

A shadow of the Colossus stage would be cool if they could get the act of climbing the colossus over during a fight.

Maybe a XMB themed stage for shits and giggles.

A Portal Stage because portals!! plus random glados commentary.

The patapon + God of war cross over level makes me think anything is possible to mash up. I cant wait to see more random parings.

oh I hate 3d Parapa. he looks like a balloon. Just make him flat like Mr game and watch.

I think the stages will be the star here. although the execution may vary. the RnC level with Hydra is a bit boring, but LBP leevl with Buzz quiz is brilliant, and Hades fighting Patapon army is great, although imo, the stage design itself is a bit lacking

I want SoTC level, Uncharted level, Motorstorm level where the stages crumbles from earthquake or tornado could be cool as well

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I am a little surprised in how good this looks. It took 3 generations but we finally have a decent alternative to Smash Bros. If Megaman is in this game I may have to check it out. Not NES box art Megaman but Captain N Megaman. The one who always sounds like he's taking a straining dump when he talks.

I hope Sakurai takes this as a direct challenge and actually gets to play this in time to influence the development of the new SSB games. He needs to especially take note of the expansive online component.

Can't wait to see which 3rd party characters each game was able to nab. Snake makes far more sense in this game. They should ask for Naked Snake instead of Solid.

libregkd

I'd actually like to see a thatgamecompany stage that just mashes up fl0w, Flower, and Journey.

Would also love to see some environments from Folklore incorporated somehow.

I understand what she's trying to get it, but it completely ignores that there's a generation of gamers that didn't grow up with Nintendo. There's a "Playstation generation" that grew up with Crash, Lara, Snake and Cloud instead of Mario, Link, Peach and Samus. For two generations PS completely dominated the console industry. So it seems disingenuous to act like there aren't people out there that love those characters like many older games love Nintendo characters.

i-Lo

KingK

I understand what she's trying to get it, but it completely ignores that there's a generation of gamers that didn't grow up with Nintendo. There's a "Playstation generation" that grew up with Crash, Lara, Snake and Cloud instead of Mario, Link, Peach and Samus. It just cmopletely ignores that for two generations PS completely dominated the console industry. So it seems disingenuous to act like there aren't people out there that love those characters like many older games love Nintendo characters.

Exactly why I have a problem with a lot of those types of criticisms. I grew up with Spyro, Ratchet, Jak, Crash, etc. in addition to Mario, Samus, Link, etc.

I do feel that awesome nostalgia and love for those Nintendo characters, but I have the same exact feelings towards a lot of Sony characters. For me, going back and playing the original Spyro induces just as much nostalgia as playing Ocarina of Time.

prwxv3

Exactly why I have a problem with a lot of those types of criticisms. I grew up with Spyro, Ratchet, Jak, Crash, etc. in addition to Mario, Samus, Link, etc.

I do feel that awesome nostalgia and love for those Nintendo characters, but I have the same exact feelings towards a lot of Sony characters. For me, going back and playing the original Spyro induces just as much nostalgia as playing Ocarina of Time.

Its all opinion and preference. Someone can love "dull" "generic" "dudebro" "un-charismatic" sony characters.

Patapwn

I'm very much not liking this 'death by super' mechanic they've implemented. If that's the only way to kill, I think that might inhibit many possible playstyles in favor of clusterfucking. In SSB the possibility of getting knocked out of the damn screen added an element of strategy and caution per say that this game looks to be completely lacking. It was also odd seeing kratos get hammered by the hydra + Hades and nothing of significance happen. At least THAT should be a kill no?

That aside, it looks good. However I hope the above gets implemented somehow, maybe give it it's own mode.

I'm glad they're finally doing this but I wish it wasn't such blatant Smash Bros. clone, at least on the surface. I wouldn't want a normal fighting game either, maybe something in the middle. I love Sony and a lot of their IPs but they aren't enough. I need to know what 3rd party characters will be licensed before I decide to jump in or not.

prwxv3

I'm confused by this post. Did you just make a blanket statement about Sony's 1st party character roster?

I just stated what they are called oftenly. I dont agree especially with characters like Drake, Parappa, Sly, Jack, Daxter, Sweettooth,ect.

elcapitan

I'm very much not liking this 'death by super' mechanic they've implemented. If that's the only way to kill, I think that might inhibit many possible playstyles in favor of clusterfucking. In SSB the possibility of getting knocked out of the damn screen added an element of strategy and caution per say that this game looks to be completely lacking. It was also odd seeing kratos get hammered by the hydra + Hades and nothing of significance happen. At least THAT should be a kill no?

That aside, it looks good. However I hope the above gets implemented somehow, maybe give it it's own mode.

The game is more about resource management. There are many ways to gather AP to pull off supers. Parappa can generate it with his boombox, and Radec can rack it up with long range attacks. Throw items into the mix, and there are even more ways to build meter. Not to mention, I'm sure supers are balanced out insofar that they can be blocked or avoided (except for level 3, probably). If you miss a super, you're out of AP, making you vulnerable to everyone else.

When the game presents so many options to gather the necessary resources to knock a player out, I think there's plenty of strategy and caution involved.

ZoddGutts

Onimusha, Xenosaga, Persona, KH, Yakuza, ZoE...

tons of great PS2 games that are exclusive

Don't forget Suikoden series, Star Ocean 2 and 3, DQ 7 and 8, Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2, Shadow Heart series, Wild Arms series, Valkyria Chronicles series, FF 7-12, bunch of Tales games and Breath of Fire 3, 4 and Quarter. Tons of RPG characters could be in this game. I'll be a shame if Sony makes it too Western character only, while ignoring their deep RPG exclusive 3rd party history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom