• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

So what's the bar at the bottom of each portrait represent then? Super level?

it would be the gauge for the super moves.
at level 1 it's a move designed to kill one opponent
level 2 two opponents
and level 3 all opponents.

though if you use them well you can get more than what they are designed for.

SmithnCo

Man. looking at this makes me realize that we need Konami all stars.

To those people who think Nintendo has olympic size casts, those people don't have slightest clue what Konami has in its sleeves in terms of characters.

All they'd need is a Tak Fujii and Noaki Maeda tag team.

Man. looking at this makes me realize that we need Konami all stars.

dreammix_tv_world_figl1p2i.jpg

DreamMix TV World Fighters. It was released in 2003 for the PS2 and GC. It was a Japan only release.

prwxv3

Its not just that the critcism they had were downright stupid. Too late for it? No popular characters? The fuck.

The "too late for it" criticism was pretty stupid. And the popular character this is all based on opinions. I know people that really dont like any of the nintendo characters but like playing SB. I do expect some crow eating from them if Superbot delivers.

Raxus

I really hope they balance the roster and include some villains and females (besides Fat Princess). Any suggestions?

no one else has said it, but I wonder what the DLC campaign for this will be like... unlock XYZ for $X dollars. I hope its minimal if they do. Otherwise; they're going to tank the interest in this.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Come on, now. I like Sony's stuff, and I think they've developed a much better lineup than many people are giving them credit for. They may not have a character as iconic as Mario, but that is a ridiculously high standard. Regardless, they've managed to build up a good roster of recognizable faces, old and new, popular and obscure.

But that bolded part? Crazy talk, yo. Nintendo's pool is Olympic-size. Brawl has 35 characters, and even if you upped that to 50 for the next game, you still probably wouldn't be able cover all the most popular requests. There just aren't many companies out there who can compete with Nintendo on that.

Technically what he said is true if you don't expect 90% of gamers to actually recognize some of those characters. It doesn't make sense to put a bunch of obscure characters in a game like this. When the majority of gamers need to look on Wikipedia just to find out who the character is in a "Smash" style game then the Dev is picking the wrong characters to use in that game.

You can get away with maybe 3 or 4 of those obscure kind of characters. But if your whole roster is filled with B C and D level characters, then it just takes away the entire attraction of a game like this.

Imagine an MvC game where 80% of the roster are Capcom and Marvel characters you never even heard of or barely even recognize as belonging to that universe? No matter how fun the game is, it just isn't the same unless the majority of the characters are among the the best and most recognizable characters from their respective catalogs.

KingK

Its not just that the criticism they had were downright stupid. Too late for it? No popular characters? The fuck.

What do they even mean by "Too late?" This game is coming out at approximately the same time in Playstation's history that Smash Bros did for Nintendo (end of the 3rd console's life cycle).

Endo Punk

A lot of people are going to disappointed when they don't see their favourite 3rd party character in the game.
Nintendo fanboy at its full steam.

Seriously though those complains are downright stupid.

People really need to give this game breathing space. It's only been an initial look.

prwxv3

A lot of people are going to disappointed when they don't see their favourite 3rd party character in the game.

People really need to give this game breathing space. It's only been an initial look.

Sadly I dont think that game is going to get any breathing space with the backlash it is getting on the internet right now.

zulux21

I really hope they balance the roster and include some villains and females (besides Fat Princess). Any suggestions?

there have been a few lists posted already... I personally found it more fun to just go through this list of sony owned franchises and properties and imagine who could be picked from what.

from the unexpected females category I would love to see a female racer from jet moto lol. Of course I would love to see a number of females from the sony owned JRPGs as well.

Endo Punk

What do they even mean by "Too late?" This game is coming out at approximately the same time in Playstation's history that Smash Bros did for Nintendo (end of the 3rd console's life cycle).

Just a dumb way to bash the game, really. They were on the spot and had to think of a reason to hate it.

Kyon

Banned
Sadly I dont think that game is going to get any breathing space with the backlash it is getting on the Nintendo/SmashBros fans who see its a Smash Bros clone right now.

fixed. I mean that's the only backlash i see besides the art style looking funky

KingK

Yorda from ICO, Nariko from Heavenly Sword, Lara Croft from Tomb Raider

Villains could include Sephiroth from FFVII, Nemesis from Resident Evil, Chimera from Resistance, and Wander from SOTC

zulux21

Sadly I dont think that game is going to get any breathing space with the backlash it is getting on the internet right now.

Personally I feel if Sony was smart they would do something like the smash dojo and try to announce little bits of info every day while trying to make a character announcement every week to try to keep everyone talking about this game until it releases.... (I am guessing a mid mid Oct release which is when a lot of their party games like to release which is about 24 weeks from now and would make a 30 character roster announcing one a week)
It seems more likely like we will just have to wait until E3 to get more info though.

Ploid 3.0

It's not about emotional attachment it's about marketability. Sony wants this game to sell well. If the characters don't matter at all then the developers simply could have made up a whole new batch of characters just for this game.

No matter how good a game like this is, it is always better to have recognizable playable characters rather than unknown new characters. Doing this increases the marketability of the game, and thus increases the sales of the game exponentially.

In that same regard you just can't stick any characters in the game, and expect it to sell well. The characters chosen have to have a certain likability and appeal to them that would make a large amount of gamers want to play as or against them.

For the game to simply be fun, the characters used shouldn't be an issue at all. But if the game is to sell well enough to warrant sequels, then it is usually a good idea to have as many high profile iconic characters as possible in order to market it to the fans of those characters.

The whole reason I'm here is because of the characters. If this was a new game with all new characters I'd be far less interested. I want to see more characters revealed and I want to play as Parappa, Ape Escape person they pick, Ico person, whoever they pick for Wild Arms, etc etc. I've been playing Playstation games since PS1 and I'm all up in this.

I was around for NES up to SNES but I played a lot less games back then. I never played a Zelda even. I stuck with cheap and free games that came with the console, so that's the main reason I know of Mario so well. With PS1-3 I was able to buy my own games and often. More attached to them, and the're more gritty (sorry Mario). I know they won't have blood and gory stuff in this but at least Hades still look terrifying and not bubbly, also the Hydras.

Mxrz

Dunno about backlash. Outside of the really vocal fanboys, things seem pretty receptive. Just have to wait for the meltdowns to subside a bit.

SE owns Lara these days, wouldn't imagine it would be hard to get her and a FF character or two. Bout time her and Drake get to fight it out.

Kyon

Banned
The art style is a legit concern and while im not really bothered by it I can see others being concerned by it.

Very true, when i first saw it i thought it was a bit dark and looked washed out but it was the awful footage GT had. After seeing the youtube/off screen stuff it looks smooth to me. It could do with a bit more brightness i agree though still. It would give it an extra pinch

prwxv3

How dare Sony do fan service for Playstation owners :\ Don't they know the genre is patented by Ninty...

I think many people are now understanding the whole purpose of the game. The whole game is for playsation fans. I don't think its well known how long playstation fans have been begging for this.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly

I was about to say this. Smash Bros. was one of the last first party games on the N64 and till went on to outsell 99% of the games on the platform. Too late would be within a few months of PS4's release. Even then we are going to see less and less generational gap affecting buying habits with games that look this good.

Personally I feel if Sony was smart they would do something like the smash dojo and try to announce little bits of info every day while trying to make a character announcement every week to try to keep everyone talking about this game until it releases.... (I am guessing a mid mid Oct release which is when a lot of their party games like to release which is about 24 weeks from now and would make a 30 character roster announcing one a week)
It seems more likely like we will just have to wait until E3 to get more info though.

I like this setup, something something Goose & gander.

Raxus

there have been a few lists posted already... I personally found it more fun to just go through this list of sony owned franchises and properties and imagine who could be picked from what.

from the unexpected females category I would love to see a female racer from jet moto lol. Of course I would love to see a number of females from the sony owned JRPGs as well.

Yeah, it is good to know there is a relatively good list of Sony IP's old and new to draw fighters from. I just love games made for fans like SSB and Battle Royal since it draws attention to the classics, the new kids, and some forgotten legends. I look forward to who they announce for the composer as well since there can be a ton of great tunes to battle under.

Endo Punk

The art style is a legit concern and while im not really bothered by it I can see others being concerned by it.

For a game like this the graphics and art style are probably the last things to be touched up before release. The game definitely needs to look sharper as some stages look quite fuzzy, unless I need glasses.

prwxv3

Dunno about backlash. Outside of the really vocal fanboys, things seem pretty receptive. Just have to wait for the meldowns to subside a bit.

SE owns Lara these days, wouldn't imagine it would be hard to get her and a FF character or two.

The youtube videos have been kind of bombed by negative votes. Nothing like kinect starwars though.

test_account

XP-39C²
That is a pretty good idea.

Yeah, on the official website it says "opens in 36 days" on a Playstation ball, so i guess we wont know about any more fighters until then.

prwxv3

For a game like this the graphics and art style are probably the last things to be touched up before release. The game definitely needs to look sharmer as some stages look quite fuzzy, unless I need glasses.

The game does looks smooth as hell though. 60 FPS is essential for this type of game.

SmithnCo

Radec is a good villain for starters, but I like the Specter (Ape Escape) idea too. Your ice/fire partners could make for interesting secondary female Infamous characters.

Endo Punk

The game does looks smooth as hell though. 60 FPS is essential for this type of game.

That's definitley the highlight for me and since its been in dev time for so long it would be great marketing if they release a temporary demo soon after E3 like what SEGA did with Sonic Gen.

zulux21

Yeah, it is good to know there is a relatively good list of Sony IP's old and new to draw fighters from. I just love games made for fans like SSB and Battle Royal since it draws attention to the classics, the new kids, and some forgotten legends. I look forward to who they announce for the composer as well since there can be a ton of great tunes to battle under.

Part of my hopes for this game is that it will spark enough interest in those forgotten franchises to get them a new game as there are a number of games on this list I would love to see a new entry from.

As for a composer that info should be floating around somewhere... I know at some point today I heard the line along the lines of "and this person will be doing the music" and then continuing on to talk about how the soundtrack will be comprised of mostly remixed versions of two songs put together. I have no clue where that was though.... likely during one of the longer GT videos.

prwxv3

And about the "characters not fitting in together well like Nintendo's do" criticism. I actually think this is the thing that could really make it stand apart from Smash Bros. Having far more mature and realistic characters fighting cartoonish characters is something Nintendo can't really do (besides snake). And if they go all out and make it as absurd as humanly possible they can do something really unique.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
The whole reason I'm here is because of the characters. If this was a new game with all new characters I'd be far less interested. I want to see more characters revealed and I want to play as Parappa, Ape Escape person they pick, Ico person, whoever they pick for Wild Arms, etc etc. I've been playing Playstation games since PS1 and I'm all up in this.

I was around for NES up to SNES but I played a lot less games back then. I never played a Zelda even. I stuck with cheap and free games that came with the console, so that's the main reason I know of Mario so well. With PS1-3 I was able to buy my own games and often. More attached to them, and the're more gritty (sorry Mario). I know they won't have blood and gory stuff in this but at least Hades still look terrifying and not bubbly, also the Hydras.

I hope there are more than enough gamers like you, who have the same excitement to play a game like this, in order to secure even more games of this nature from Sony. Mascot games have attracted a bad rep with certain gamers. I feel that as long as those games are made well and are fun to play, then they have a place in my gaming library.

Sony has been slow to jump on this train but I'm glad that they are finally aboard.

Endo Punk

And about the "characters not fitting in together well like Nintendo's do" criticism. I actually think this is the thing that could really make it stand apart from Smash Bros. Having far more mature and realistic characters fighting cartoonish characters is something Nintendo can't really do (besides snake). And if they go all out and make it as absurd as humanly possible they can do something really unique.

Definitely agree with you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom