• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epcott

When I saw the screens and gifs of this on Friday, I had a mental image of Iwata and Sakurai looking at each other, and then laughing out loud. I mean, the game is not even subtle about its inspiration.

As a Sony gamer, I suppose I'm on board, it's nice to finally have a lighthearted brawler (Ragdoll Kungfu not included), since it's obvious Capcpom forgot all about Powerstone.

I just don't really care about half of the characters on that roster, or the franchises they represent.

I guess I'm indifferent. If anything, I hope this drives Sakurai's team to be more creative and innovative towards the next Smash Bros (rather than just use 3DS and WiiU connectivity as a gimmick). And I hope Nintendo fanboy criticism pushes Superbot to make a great game that distances itself away from the franchise that inspired it.

prwxv3

But seriously though. I'm sure there's a lot of feedback they're taking in right now, and it's probably hard to separate legitimate criticism from the dearth of Nintendo fanboy death threats I'm sure they're getting, but I hope to god that they realize how hideous that logo is.

It's probably too late now to change the shitty title, but that logo at least has got to go.

I agree

SmithnCo

The least they could do with the logo is incorporate the iconic Playstation shape buttons or something. Right now it could be a logo for any generic game.

When I saw the screens and gifs of this on Friday, I had a mental image of Iwata and Sakurai looking at each other, and then laughing out loud. I mean, the game is not even subtle about its inspiration.

Yeah there's a Wii in one of the dev studio pictures.

But don't say that round here because you'll get lynched.

Loudninja

As a Sony gamer, I suppose I'm on board, it's nice to finally have a lighthearted brawler (Ragdoll Kungfu not included), since it's obvious Capcpom forgot all about Powerstone.

I just don't really care about half of the characters on that roster, or the franchises they represent.

I guess I'm indifferent. If anything, I hope this drives Sakurai's team to be more creative and innovative towards the next Smash Bros (rather than just use 3DS and WiiU connectivity as a gimmick). And I hope Nintendo fanboy criticism pushes Superbot to make a great game that distances itself away from the franchise that inspired it.
*sigh*

All the mechanics are different in this game.
Playstation Brawl Stars is what they should go with.
Terrible!

KingK

Not too late to make it shorter. PlayStation All-Stars or PlayStation Battle Royale are perfectly fine.

Shortening it to Playstation Battle Royale would be ideal, I think. While stressing "Battle Royale" mostly with Playstation mostly being a qualifier.

And for the logo, maybe make the whole thing in the original Playstation font:
Playstation-Logo.png

With the word "Playstation" smaller at the top and below it "Battle Royale" in big font size. Idk, it's not exactly original, but it would probably be a hell of a lot better than the current design.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Nope, it supports 7 controllers. That's why you can have 6 person local co-op on the PS3 version of the X-Men Arcade game, and not on the 360 version.

Yeah also Bomberman ULTRA supported 7 players local at once and it was fun as hell with friends and family.They really just wasting so much potential here if they don't support 7 players.

KingK

Also, I wouldn't doubt for a second that Team ICO will get at least one playable character. Wander is most likely, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Yorda either.

ICO and SOTC are regarded as contenders for best game of all time, they have a large and dedicated fan base, and Sony has always enjoyed the artistic integrity and image that they give the company, so I can't see them passing up on taking some characters from them. Plus Wander would just make a great character for this game with his sword and bow.

Call it Playstation Battle Royal and you'd hook the hipster demographic for sure!

lol

I'm still a little concerned about "super KO's only". If you miss your super after beating the shit out of you're opponent, you've pretty much did that all for nothing and now you're in disadvantage because your opponent have more AP then you, isn't that a bit strange? People will get frustrated when they'll miss with their super because their advantage nullifies if you don't land that hit. Why haven't any journalist asked Superbot about the dynamic that comes with this whole new system, everyone seems to just keep saying that people will be more inclined in beating each other more (which I think is great). It just seems to take away all real purpose of fighting because the meter is the only thing that really matters. As I said before, this seems more like an extra mode to me.

And yeah, more color and make it less hazy (the backgrounds looks foggy).

Exactly how I feel. By forcing themselves to be different from Smash Bros they have made it worse.
They should have just gone the full way and copied the knock off stage/percentage gameplay.

Epcott

*sigh*

All the mechanics are different in this game.

Ah, I suppose visual aesthetics aside, that makes a difference.
I'm curious to try it myself.

I also hope they included some variety to that character line up with more Japanese characters like an Ape from Ape Escape, Ico, a Siren zombie, Arc, or at least more non humans like EyePet.

And that logo is pretty bland.

guek

Banned
No team ICO games would be very disappointing.

What proportion of the roster do you guys think will be 3rd party? 1/4? 1/2? A huge portion of the memorable franchises on playstation consoles have come from 3rd parties.

KingK

What proportion of the roster do you guys think will be 3rd party? 1/4? 1/2? A huge portion of the memorable franchises on playstation consoles have come from 3rd parties.

I would say 1/4 of the roster as 3rd party at the most. People hoping for the roster to made up half way with 3rd parties are setting themselves up for disappointment.

I would say 2-6 is probably the most realistic range.

*coughcoughstaminamodecoughcough*

Okay I'll stop now.
Stamina mode is nothing like this game at all. There is no health in this game.

Loudninja

I say 4 or 5 at the most.

This is not Third Party All Stars :p

How is it worse?

Only kills with super is just terrible design, it will not be fun killing over and over with just the same 3 moves and if you miss it will be frustrating like all your work was for nothing

Not being able to kill people any other ways takes away allot of play styles, you will always have to do that exact amount of damage to pull of one of those exact moves. Not fun or interesting

Drencrom

Exactly how I feel. By forcing themselves to be different from Smash Bros they have made it worse.
They should have just gone the full way and copied the knock off stage/percentage gameplay.

Yeah, though I'm still hopeful that this "super only"-thing may turn out good but I wish they would include another setting regarding KO's. Like a knock off the stage/percentage (SSB setting) or HP as I already said.

Hopefully SuperBot reads GAF, this thread is a pretty good source of ideas, feedback
and salty Nintendo fans

Yeah, definitely should be represented. Hopefully in a stage. Not sure if I want Wander or Boy as a character though, but I wouldnt mind.

ijUkJ.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37351180&postcount=1266

Yeah, though I'm still hopeful that this "super only"-thing may turn out good but I wish they would include another setting regarding KO's. Like a knock off the stage/percentage (SSB setting) or HP as I already said.

Hopefully SuperBot reads GAF, this thread is a pretty good source of ideas, feedback
and salty Nintendo fans

Yeah I hope they include Smash Bros style gameplay as an extra mode

Yeah, definitely should be represented. Hopefully in a stage. Not sure if I want Wander or Boy as a character though, but I wouldnt mind.

Wander definitely, all those swords, different bows and arrows, the cape of desperation and the ability to transform into dormin

How the hell did we not notice that for all these months, the green parts also look like Ico's colour pallet

libregkd

4-5 would suck :-( so many iconic characters that made names for themselves on the ps1/ps2 would be cut.

But I guess it does depend on what kind of roster size we're thinking too.
Well rumors peg the roster at being 24 characters. So I think 4/5 Third party characters would be a pretty good amount so they aren't overshadowing Sony's characters.

Loudninja

Well rumors peg the roster at being 24 characters. So I think 4/5 Third party characters would be a pretty good amount so they aren't overshadowing Sony's characters.
That was the current number,not sure it would be the same at release

Since they are putting alot of time into each character I would be fine with that number.

libregkd

That was the current number.

Not sure it would be the same at release,they are putting alot of time into each charter so i woudl be fine with that number.
Obviously it could change. I'm just going off rumors since there really isn't anything else to peg the roster size at.

Plus I think 24 is a pretty decent size for a game like this.

KingK

Cloud, Crash, Spyro, Snake, Prince of the Cosmos, maybe Dante and Lara Croft are really the only 3rd parties I would want at this point. Preferably only like 4 or 5 of them, and add more to future sequels (assuming there are sequels).

Sora from Kingdom Hearts as well, I guess, but I'm less confident in him being in the game.

guek

Banned
Crash
Spyro
Snake
Cloud
Lara Croft

When I think PS1, I think those guys more than anyone else.

True. I really feel like Samanosuke, Dante, and the Prince deserve to be in there too though from the PS2 era. Maybe even Leo from ZOE and Dart from legend of dragoon.

I bet we get a lot of those via DLC...

Third party games that I think should be represented in the game

Final Fantasy - Cloud or Lightning. if Sony is smart, they put all stops to ensure that Cloud is in this game since he's probably the most popular FF character. Cloud = Sales.

Metal Gear - Old Snake. Old Snake is PS3 exclusive and MGS 4 is one of the best system sellers PS3 has had

Resident Evil - Claire or Leon

Old Lara Croft would be good too.

cyborg009

Banned
I'm really interested hybrid stages the patapon and Hades was cool.

I would love to see some Loco roco and demon souls stage that are hybrid. like shadow of the colossus X demon souls

SmithnCo

Leon or Claire would be cool, anything but Chris again. MAYBE Classic Jill.

As far as Capcom, I could also see Ryu or Dante getting in.

KingK

If they're doing a Resident Evil character it should be Nemesis or Wesker. The heroes are all too generic looking, except maybe Leon.

True. I really feel like Samanosuke, Dante, and the Prince deserve to be in there too though from the PS2 era. Maybe even Leo from ZOE and Dart from legend of dragoon.

I bet we get a lot of those via DLC...

I hope we don't get any characters as DLC. Fuck that shit. Save new characters for the sequel.

xptoxyz

Are Activision's rights over James Bond for "James Bond titled" video games or any use of James Bond in video games? Don't know if Sony can use due to the film or had to struck deal with Activision.

Being that both Crash and Spyro are now under Activision, a deal being struck on one character may make negotiation of others easier. Activision doesn't seem the easiest and most reasonable, so makes me think that could stop those two from showing up. Probably going to depend on how large the cash briefcase Sony takes to the meeting is.

KingK

I totally agree. Unfortunately, I'm not that optimistic.

Yeah, they're probably gonna milk the fuck out of DLC for this game :(

I don't mind costumes and shit that I don't really care all that much about (although all of that stuff should be unlockable in the game in the first place), but if they start doing entirely new characters and stages as DLC I'll be a little upset.

Charging us for shit that used to be unlockables in games is the worst trend this gen. It makes me sick.

vg260

If they're doing a Resident Evil character it should be Nemesis or Wesker. The heroes are all too generic looking, except maybe Leon.

I doubt we'd get any Capcom characters already in UMvC3.
If we do, I'd like to see one of them that feels most tied to PS history. Like maybe this guy:
RE_zombie.jpg

Only kills with super is just terrible design, it will not be fun killing over and over with just the same 3 moves and if you miss it will be frustrating like all your work was for nothing

Not being able to kill people any other ways takes away allot of play styles, you will always have to do that exact amount of damage to pull of one of those exact moves. Not fun or interesting
While it seems the general census is that the super meter, KO only via super moves or certain environmental factors system is good, I also worry still.

To me it seems/feels like they just removed health so you're focusing purely on damage and a big finisher but in doing so that removes that layer of danger. Why can't they just have the super meter+AP bubbles and a health bar as well? If they did that, I'd be all for that. In doing that, you could also (assuming) turn off the super meter if you wanted to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom