• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like some source to this. Because if this is true then there is nothing for me to worry about and I'll stop beating this dead horse of a subject.
Yeah I want a source too, if this is true then all worries are out the window for me as well. I just don't want it to be bottlenecked to just supers for KOs, that's just silly. All the fighter veterans and veteran tourney players on the project agreeing to only supers for KOs had me scratching my head.

KingK

Most of the JRPG's mentioned in this thread were outsourced developments. SCEJ has never been big on actually developing titles, even going back to the PSone days. Games like Beyond the Beyond, Alundra, Legend of Legaia and Wild ARMS were all outsourced. Lots of JRPG studios have been able to release games at a smooth rate this generation. Sony has dipped in a bit with White Knight and Demon's Souls. But they really haven't done as much with Japanese devs this gen as they have in previous generations.

That's true. Hell, back in the PS1 days practically all of Sony's games were outsourced, I believe. Japanese or otherwise. Maybe it's more an issue of Sony not being nearly as aggressive in cultivating and acquiring first party talent in Japan as they have in the West over the last couple gens.

I don't think that's a prerequisite, if bad games or lack of recent entries was a problem you'd have to take out half the Smash Bros. roster. Star Fox definitely comes to mind. Metroid and Zelda are hardly at the top of their game lately either

Yeah, if this really is a celebration of Playstation then I don't know why they wouldn't include Ape Escape. That was the game the game that really "launched" the Dual Analog (now Dual Shock) controller. It'll always have a big spot in the history of PS even if they never release another quality game in the series.

DNAgent

Banned
I would like some source to this. Because if this is true then there is nothing for me to worry about and I'll stop beating this dead horse of a subject.

I know in the Hot Shots Level you can be KO'd if you get eaten by the fish if you fall in the water and can't climb back up to the stage in time. I also think the environment will kill you as well (like getting a hit a certain amount of times by golf balls will KO you).

As for Japanese characters in the game, I'm sure Toro is going to be in considering they have a little figurine of him on their desk that they're liking using as a reference (just like with Parappa).

jett

D-Member
Where is the overpowered Nissan GT-R?

leaked!
oWf7y.jpg

seriously though, there must be a nissan somewhere in this game :lol

I think that the biggest concern is that the supers are too powerful and too easy to really take advantage of. People in GT impressions were saying that if managed to get a Level 2 off then you were almost guaranteed multiple kills. So it's going to depend onf the amount of tools that they give the player in order to avoid such attacks. Parappa, Radec and Sweet Tooth all seem to have especially strong Supers (especially Level 3's).
Every player can easily reach lv 2 or 3 even if they're not that good at the game because your ap doesn't reset to 0 if you're killed, you can just be patient and built up your meter even if you died a couple times to get it. Getting knocked out in this game is inevitable even for the good player, but the importance is still on getting the most kills rather than getting the least death.

You got 2 points for every kill while death only substract 1 points.
It actually remind me of typical fps multiplayer, you don't really care about getting killed as long as you get the most kill.

I guess by having no traditional damage system, they can design the supers around the unique situation rather than simply having higher damage output, each supers will have it's own situation where it can be useful.

I know people are joking about the Skyline, but I very much doubt that Nissan would even a agree to license it for the purpose of a fighting game character.

They could do something like having the Omega Boost transform into the X1 for Super attack.

pompidu

I know people are joking about the Skyline, but I very much doubt that Nissan would even a agree to license it for the purpose of a fighting game character.

They could do something like having the Omega Boost transform into the X1 for Super attack.
I don't think people mean a nissian car as a fighting character lol.

Every player can easily reach lv 2 or 3 even if they're not that good at the game because your ap doesn't reset to 0 if you're killed, you can just be patient and built up your meter even if you died a couple times to get it. Getting knocked out in this game is inevitable even for the good player, but the importance is still on getting the most kills rather than getting the least death.

You got 2 points for every kill while death only substract 1 points.
It actually remind me of typical fps multiplayer, you don't really care about getting killed as long as you get the most kill.

I guess by having no traditional damage system, they can design the supers around the unique situation rather than simply having higher damage output, each supers will have it's own situation where it can be useful.

The problem with that though is that you can still die to regular gunfire and stuff in shooters. In comparison, this type of system would mean normal gunfire does nothing but build up a meter to use a giant, ridiculous BFG style gun that kills everyone or at least possibly everyone if you're good with aim. This also ties into the whole no kills except through big, super thing.

I dunno, I mean I can see how it's just a reversal/switch on the traditional damage/hp system in most every other fighter. I just can't see it having lasting appeal if it boils down to whoever can get best with the supers. This is, of course, on top of getting better with the character in order to get your super meter filled but... I dunno I just feel like it's a step backwards, or sideways maybe, it just seems weird to me.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah I was thinking if a GT car was in it would be a custom car created for GT, the X1 is perfect because it's pure concept and not a product. Also Redbull get to get free advertisement, I doubt they would reject. Omega Boost/X1 transform attack is perfect. Could be something about how ridiculously fast it is.

tranciful

There are different possibilities. You can build up meter and then go to the leader (+1 KO for you, -1 KO for him)... or use the meter to kill the same roockie players, to get a easier +1 KO for you.

Also, that dynamic make the power bar to act like a "shield". You can risk to attack to someone that can KO you, or attack someone that already spent all his power bars, because you can KO him but he can't KO you until he has at least 1 power bar. Also, if you consume all your power bars, you'll be the main target of all the players, specially if you are the leader.
Since scores are relative, it's more advantageous to use meter on the top players. Killing a loser will give you a +1 lead, but killing a top player will give you a +2 lead. It's higher risk, but chances are you'll have to play risky to come out on top.

Using it as leverage is interesting, though. Will be interesting to see how two players with super interact.

The problem with that though is that you can still die to regular gunfire and stuff in shooters. In comparison, this type of system would mean normal gunfire does nothing but build up a meter to use a giant, ridiculous BFG style gun that kills everyone or at least possibly everyone if you're good with aim. This also ties into the whole no kills except through big, super thing.

I dunno, I mean I can see how it's just a reversal/switch on the traditional damage/hp system in most every other fighter. I just can't see it having lasting appeal if it boils down to whoever can get best with the supers. This is, of course, on top of getting better with the character in order to get your super meter filled but... I dunno I just feel like it's a step backwards, or sideways maybe, it just seems weird to me.
Yeah I mention it a couple pages ago that I think adding health bar dont really change the dynamic of the battle much, and it will only add more variety because then you can have more varied character playstyle and super like if a character depend entirely on normal attack while his super is more like buff/debuff type of abiloty etc.

Maybe to make it more user friendly or something. I do think the current mechanic could still offer good depth and strategy, I just think adding health bar will simply add another layer of depth.

Endo Punk

The game was played under speciifc conditions in the reveal event. Im sure a lot more detail will be given at E3, hopefully puting most of our concerns to rest.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the Eyedentify chics make it into the game :p

I was talking with someone today about this. What I like about IGN is that they have PS3 team, xbox team, Nintendo team. PS3 team guys clearly game on PS3 and like PS. As it should be.
While on most other sites 95% if the guys are xbox guys, and don't have connection with PS history. For example I was listening to IWalls today on GT. It was predictable I knew they were going to dismiss it, second guess it, mock it. In all honesty they do that with all Sony exclusives (did same crap with GOWA last week).
Every big site should hire a couple of guys that game on PS3 and care about PS like IGN PS3 guys do. It's really sad how GT is atm. Geoff is the only nice guy over there, but then he kinda doesn't work for GT

I'm pretty sure all I said was I didn't understand why it took Sony this long to make their own version of Super Smash Bros, and that I don't think it's going to do anywhere near the sales (I said successful, but that's my word for sales) as Smash Bros. Back in Sony's heyday at the height of PS2's dominance, a counter to Melee might have had a chance to overshadow Smash. Sony's been knocked off the pedestal this generation, and it's not likely PASBR can match Melee or Brawl's numbers.

Also, Nintendo has more iconic, well-known characters to the average person than Sony. I said I wasn't discrediting Sony - there is a lot of history and lot of great characters they can throw into this game -but they don't have as much mainstream character appeal that Nintendo's characters have. Plus, a lot of the iconic games I associate with PS1 and PS2 were that were exclusives then are now multi-platform. I'd still like to see them in this game somehow. As soon as I start seeing more of the PS1-era characters, I'll probably start getting more excited for this.

Plus, if you watched the first take videos, it was said that it's way too early to draw any real conclusions about this game's quality, and we didn't have near enough time with it. Not sure where you also get the impression I'm an "XBOX" guy, either.

Ploid 3.0

If there is a GT fighter (omega boost with GT transform or whatever) it shall be my main.

If it's a GT level only I bet they will have wind tunnel hazards and cars going by can probably hit you.

PK Gaming

So yeah this obviously fucking awesome / can't add much to that wasn't already said but...

I wish the camera was zoomed in and centered like in smash.

Guys the Skyline will obviously be a crossover with a GTA character thats super is to jump into it and drive it around the stage while the GTA 3 cab driver's 'get out of the road' phrase plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom