• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithnCo

Not really.

She is not a popular PS character and is from a new IP that not even big,there are tons of other Sony female characters (from the PSX days to this day) who deserve and should be here first instead of her, it was clearly they just pick here just because she is a fucking "princess" wearing pink (aka they want someone like Peach).

I think they picked her because she has interesting attacks with calling in minions, and to maybe advertise the PSN game, which is quite fun. (Plus she was one of the first rumored characters so might as well get the obvious reveal out of the way)

I have no doubt there will be other more established female characters.

Fat Princess is just so absurd that it's great. You got this cute cartoon visual style with child-friendly voices and such yet it's one of the most bloody and violent games I have ever played.

I can see why some people are scratching their heads, most likely because you haven't bought Fat Princess. Also in my opinion its one of those games where you need to play it locally, which is kinda weird because it requires several players to work but what I'm saying is playing it locally either against the AI or locally online against a bunch of other people who are probably playing locally. At least for me it's been infinitely more enjoyable that way.

Tis a shame though that they won't be able to capture the essence of the clashing innocent art style with the massive blood and violence but having the multiple classes of minions and their voices and one-liners make up for it.

yencid

Not really.

She is not a popular PS character and is from a new IP that not even big,there are tons of other Sony female characters (from the PSX days to this day) who deserve and should be here first instead of her, it was clearly they just pick here just because she is a fucking "princess" wearing pink (aka they want someone like Peach).

Wasnt fat princess a very popular PSN game when it came out? Anyways I dont think this has anything to it being a "princess" character and more with the possibilities of her moves.

Tomasooie

I hope this sells billions and spurs Microsoft to do their own take on this.

Rare's stable of characters alone are megatons better than Sony's bunk-ass junk.

Loudninja

Wasnt fat princess a very popular PSN game when it came out? Anyways I dont think this has anything to it being a "princess" character and more with the possibilities of her moves.
I think this had something to do with it.

As Executive Producer at Sony Santa Monica, it's Deborah Mars' (pictured) job to convince everyone that PlayStation All-Stars is a swell idea and their beloved characters should be involved. Deborah is friendly, but assertive. I suspect she rarely has to take no for an answer.

"It's just incredible the amount of support we've gotten," she continues. "I worked really closely on Fat Princess, so I know what it's like to give up your baby, and have it live in this world and play in the sandbox with all the other characters.

"I'm just like, oh my god I don't want Fat Princess to get beat up by Kratos!"

I smile to myself. Just five minutes ago I was playing as Kratos. And it was Fat Princess doling out the beatings.

"The thing is, no matter what, PlayStation All-Stars always makes you smile," says Deborah "And this is one of the areas where SuperBot has done a fantastic job
http://kotaku.com/5905634/our-first-punches-with-playstation-all+stars-battle-royale

I hope this sells billions and spurs Microsoft to do their own take on this.

Rare's stable of characters alone are megatons better than Sony's bunk-ass junk.

fYpTi.jpg

$ Ching ching $

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I could see dude from Darksiders as a third party character if they're getting more 'recent' ones, but I'm hoping they focus on older stuff.

So I've never played MediEvil before, but after hearing a bunch of people recommending the dude from it and looking at a couple gameplay videos on youtube, Sir Dan would be a great addition to the roster. Judging from the 5 or 6 minutes I watched, the game seemed to have this awesome, almost Tim Burton-esque atmosphere to it.

I also think Sony should use his inclusion to to build demand for a franchise revival. The character looks great and recognizable, and I think there's lots of possibilities for a new MediEvil game. I could really see them making it into a Zelda-like structured game with a Tim Burton/Nightmare Before Christmas type atmosphere. Darksiders proved that there is demand for that type of game outside of Nintendo platforms as well, and there really aren't many games like it.
I have possibly the weirdest connection with MediEvil. I never owned the game at all, but my dentist did. I hated going to the dentist as a kid, but that hatred was alleviated by the fact that when I got there I knew I could play MediEvil while I waited.

Sort of weird maybe but I knew exactly who Sir Dan was and he became nostalgic for me. Would love if they include him (and even make a new game).

SSReborn

I have possibly the weirdest connection with MediEvil. I never owned the game at all, but my dentist did. I hated going to the dentist as a kid, but that hatred was alleviated by the fact that when I got there I knew I could play MediEvil while I waited.

Sort of weird maybe but I knew exactly who Sir Dan was and he became nostalgic for me. Would love if they include him (and even make a new game).

Lol I have that exact same connection but with Spyro and instead it was my barbershop.

KingK

Fat Princess is probably just there to have someone rep PSN.

Also, regarding the whole "growing up with Nintendo vs. growing up with Playstation" discussion, I personally grew up with both almost equally. My family owned a NES that I remember playing Super Mario Bros./SMB3 and Duck Hunt on all the time when I was like 5 or 6, and I remember playing SNES games like Super Mario World, Super Metroid, ALLTP, etc. at my babysitter's house with all the other kids there when I was really young. I also remember playing N64 games all the time at my best friends' houses, and to a lesser extant PS1 games (I only knew one person with a PS1). Then, at the PS2 launch, I got that for Christmas and it was the first console that I owned myself other than Gameboys, so I played the shit out of Ratchet, Jak, and Sly games. I also ended up getting a Gamecube a few years later.

So anyway, boring life story boils down to Nintendo and Playstation characters being equally memorable to me, since I'm only 20 and young enough to actually have been a kid when playing PS games.

That's one reason I think a lot of the media will be pretty down on this game. Games like this and Smash rely a lot on invoking nostalgia to grab interest, and a lot of game journalists are just too old to feel that same nostalgia for Playstation that they do for Nintendo. They're from a different generation and I think a lot of them will have a hard time accepting that there are people out there who were 8 years old when they first played Playstation, and that it does carry a memorable feeling of nostalgia for them.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I've been away for a few days, so I haven't had much internet acces (as my phone crapped out on me the day before I was about to go away, bah), but yeah, I'm giddy as all fuck about this. Bring on the third party characters! :D

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Wow this is super lame if they pick it just because the producer worked on Fat Princess.

LMAO so now we on the princess copying.

What I am saying is that if going by popularity, nostalgia and moves,abilities and power-wise Fat Princess have no chance in hell and no place to be in this game not before other amazing Sony female characters.

But they pick her because she is a cute princess (or maybe because the producer liked her).

Audioboxer

Has this footage been posted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm_NJTwbUBM&feature=g-u-u

I think it looks pretty good.

Awesome, this game just screams fan service right down to the level designs, and that's what matters most (if we can assume for now competent gameplay is coming).

No one should give a rats ass about haters as those who love these characters and grew up with them are the target audience, and they should be rewarded tenfold by a showering of fan service and nostalgia. There's not many other opportunities with games to cram in this much.

Lol I have that exact same connection but with Spyro and instead it was my barbershop.
Ha that's awesome, good to know I'm not the only one who feels nostalgic about something in this sense.

And for both our sakes I hope Spyro makes it in. I have a connection for Spyro as well but more in the traditional sense of actually having the game as a kid.

Let's toy with this our hearts now. Assuming Sony is able to get Spyro for this, what would his supers be? Hmm . . . (also I think it goes without saying they would design him based off his original model and not the abomination Activision created).

Ploid 3.0

Game looks neat, but I've got to say that the only thing that has hooked me is Parappa existing and the look of the stages. I really hope they've got some more interesting reveals. I don't think anyone was begging for Fat Princess to show up in a game or anyone caring about Sweet Tooth outside of his truck.

I was for both and more. Sweet Tooth is a icon to me.

Credentials:
Grew up on Nes, snes, psx, some n64, ps2
Now Ps3, pc, some xbox, some wii.

Loudninja

Wow this is super lame if they pick it just because the producer worked on Fat Princess.

What I am saying is that if going by popularity, nostalgia and moves,abilities and power-wise Fat Princess have no chance in hell and no place to be in this game not before other amazing Sony female characters.

But they pick her because she is a cute princess (or maybe because the producer liked her).
The character looks find dont know why you are complaining.

If Superbot pluck or have plucked a character out of Legend of Dragoon for Battle Royale, then I hope it's Rose...

Tucker705-the-legend-of-dragoon-rose_500.jpg

...instead of Dart. Always thought she was the most iconic character of the cast, plus this game needs all the strong female figures it can get.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Genuinely, what the hell would MS have?!

- Master Chief
- Arbiter
- Commander Shepard
- Marcus Fenix
- Locust
- Banjo & Kazooie

A Viva Pinata character
Your avatar
Joanna Dark
Kameo chick
Lips guy
Blinx

Um

I guess they could use some old-ass Rare characters like Battletoads, Sabrewulf and/or the Killer Instinct guys too. Other than that I don't know.

KingK

Gamespot linked this amazing image:

GAF-->Internet-->GAF-->Internet-->GAF

Genuinely, what the hell would MS have?!

- Master Chief
- Arbiter
- Commander Shepard
- Marcus Fenix
- Locust
- Banjo & Kazooie

Well, Rare has a bunch of characters they could use like Viva Pinata, Battletoads, Conker, Banjo, etc.

But yea, it would be a bit barren compared to Sony and Nintendo's offerings. Xbox just hasn't been around long enough, and hasn't invested into first party properties enough to really make something like this work too well. They'd have to rely on 3rd party characters even more so than Sony.

Petrichor

Gamespot linked this amazing image:
heroes360_0194zmz.jpg

There are plenty of high profile videogame characters associated with xbox. First party you would have master chief, one of the three heroes from fable 2, crackdown agent and a whole host of rare characters (banjo, joanna, kameo, conker etc). There are also lots of third party characters associated with the xbox brand, like ryu, sam fisher, Darth Revan (KOTOR) commander shepherd, bioshock's big daddy, marcus fenix, alan wake, baldur (too human), tim from braid, dead or alive character, castle crashers knight etc. All the characters I've listed are as or more well known as sweet tooth or fat princess.

They'd have to buy the rights for a lot more third party characters but it's not accurate to say that the only character associated with the xbox brand is master chief. It's funny how some posters in this thread bemoan nintendo fans for laughing at sony's inferior repetoire of characters, yet in their next breath laugh at microsoft for the same reason.

SSReborn

Ha that's awesome, good to know I'm not the only one who feels nostalgic about something in this sense.

And for both our sakes I hope Spyro makes it in. I have a connection for Spyro as well but more in the traditional sense of actually having the game as a kid.

Let's toy with this our hearts now. Assuming Sony is able to get Spyro for this, what would his supers be? Hmm . . . (also I think it goes without saying they would design him based off his original model and not the abomination Activision created).

Level 1: his charging ram attack
Level 2: he can fly up in the air and shoot down fireballs at opponents
Level 3: a giant fire blast that takes up a large portion of the screen

I don't know how those would tie in balance wise but I think they'd be cool

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
If Superbot pluck or have plucked a character out of Legend of Dragoon for Battle Royale, then I hope it's Rose...

http://www.gamerfuzion.com/file/pic/photo/2011/10/Tucker705-the-legend-of-dragoon-rose_500.jpg
...instead of Dart. Always thought she was the most iconic character of the cast, p[B]lus this game needs all the strong female figures it can get[/B].[/QUOTE]

Agree, girls like Nariko (Heavenly Sword), Rynn(Drakan)Jennifer Tate(Primal) Nix and Kuo(Infamous),Ellen(Folklore) Athena (God of War)Angela Cross(Ratchet)..ect

But going with Superbot previous pick up..I guess we will get a blue Fat Princess,Penelope,Jennifer(Rule of Rose) and Yorda, and other lame Sony girls.

There are plenty of high profile videogame characters associated with xbox. First party you would have master chief, one of the three heroes from fable 2, crackdown agent and a whole host of rare characters (banjo, joanna, kameo, conker etc). There are also lots of third party characters associated with the xbox brand, like ryu, sam fisher, Darth Revan (KOTOR) commander shepherd, bioshock's big daddy, marcus fenix, alan wake, baldur (too human), tim from braid, dead or alive character, castle crashers knight etc

They'd have to buy the rights for a lot more third party characters but it's not accurate to say that the only character associated with the xbox brand is master chief. It's funny how some posters in this thread bemoan nintendo fans for laughing at sony's inferior repetoire of characters, yet in the next breath laugh at microsoft for the same reason.

#1:first party
#2:Lighten up, its jus jokes, but its actually true but its a new console so it is what it is.

What about if they included her because there's people like me who genuinely like her? I'm a bit tired of people saying Fat Princess doesn't belong :(

Level 1: his charging ram attack
Level 2: he can fly up in the air and shoot down fireballs at opponents
Level 3: a giant fire blast that takes up a large portion of the screen

I don't know how those would tie in balance wise but I think they'd be cool

Very nice suggestions. Makes sense too. As far as balancing goes I don't really think the ideas are what needs balancing but rather the execution.

There are plenty of high profile videogame characters associated with xbox. First party you would have master chief, one of the three heroes from fable 2, crackdown agent and a whole host of rare characters (banjo, joanna, kameo, conker etc). There are also lots of third party characters associated with the xbox brand, like ryu, sam fisher, Darth Revan (KOTOR) commander shepherd, bioshock's big daddy, marcus fenix, alan wake, baldur (too human), tim from braid, dead or alive character, castle crashers knight etc. All the characters I've listed are as or more well known as sweet tooth or fat princess.

They'd have to buy the rights for a lot more third party characters but it's not accurate to say that the only character associated with the xbox brand is master chief. It's funny how some posters in this thread bemoan nintendo fans for laughing at sony's inferior repetoire of characters, yet in their next breath laugh at microsoft for the same reason.
Erm...

Also you are insane if you think this guy:
too_human.jpg

is more well known then:

tm_sweettooth.jpg

libregkd

What about if they included her because there's people like me who genuinely like her? I'm a bit tired of people saying Fat Princess doesn't belong :(
I'll be honest and say she wouldn't be my first pick, but the way she is implemented (With her calling in her various servants ranging from warriors to mages) has me excited to play as her.

#2:Lighten up, its jus jokes, but its actually true but its a new console so it is what it is.
Agreed. Of course people are going to point to Microsoft and ask if they're going to join the party as well now, but you have to remember they joined the party really late to begin with. And as so many of already stated a big part of why this game is being created is for the fan service and nostalgia. All the people playing 360 now either grew up with the SNES, N64, or the original PlayStation. It's not necessarily that they don't have the characters for it but more so that there isn't as much a demand.

I'll be honest and say she wouldn't be my first pick, but the way she is implemented (With her calling in her various servants ranging from warriors to mages) has me excited to play as her.

My reasoning for her being picked is because the game kinda lit up the internet prior to it's release. It was all about Fat Princess back then.

Either that or this game is gonna have an insanely big selection.

tranciful

Sony has some cool properties besides the obvious ones :)

newGravityRush.jpg

Folklore_Screen.jpg

demons-souls.jpg

Okage.jpg

Jeanne_d%27Arc_Coverart.png

B000ZK695U.01.lg.jpg

Also, it's not like it would be against the rules to include more than one character from the same franchise. Twisted Metal, for example, has several cool characters.

Petrichor

Erm...

Also you are insane if you think this guy:
is more well known then:

Both are from pretty minor first party franchises in terms of sales and mass appeal. Admittedly one has been in more games.

Also the characters you've highlighted are all from franchises that were originally xbox exclusive but have since become multiplatform.

def sim

#1:first party

The picture is great and especially well done, but you bring the topic into question when you say it as a hard truth.

Microsoft's problem is they own a very good amount of IP's that they don't capitalize on. Not at all like what you are asserting.

Plus have you seen her level 3 special? She calls down on all her minion and it raids the entire arena while she sits down and eats cake, damn near perfect! I say "near" because it looks like something you activate and then have no control over which I'm not so much a fan of. Also sounds like Parappa has one of those types of level 3 specials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom