• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

You're a fan of the characters but you aren't a fan of them outside of the vehicles. Obviously with Axel he will always be in the vehicle, but for the other characters they were always shown outside the vehicles in the cutscenes and those cutscenes are what really made the game for many.

The concept of them detached from their vehicles from a gameplay perspective is what I'm not so cool on. Sweet Tooth leaving his car in a cutscene doesn't bother me. It's actually kind of a confusing thought.

I mean, what?

Ploid 3.0

Can't wait for the inevitable clown rant by Drake when he's pitted against Sweet tooth in the story mode.

lolol

This has to be in the game. Drake should just be chatting away during the whole fight about the characters he's up against, or whatever. Just a very chatty ND.

Endo Punk

Can't wait for the inevitable clown rant by Drake when he's pitted against Sweet tooth in the story mode.

Wasted oppertunity if they don't include banter between characters.
The concept of them detached from their vehicles from a gameplay perspective is what I'm not so cool on. Sweet Tooth leaving his car in a cutscene doesn't bother me. It's actually kind of a confusing thought.

I mean, what?

Deal with it. I wanna play as Sweet tooth the character :)

tranciful

What other characters besides Sweet Tooth could fit the "Heavy" category I already suggested Rau from Mark of Kri but who else does Sony have in there lineup. I would've also suggested Captain Qwark but it seems that in this installment he wont be playable.

Colossus, White Knight Chronicle knight, Folklore monster, LocoRoco, Blasto/Quark, Jumping Flash, and there's already Fat Princess.

edit: oh and

Doughnut_Nate.JPG

U99EE.jpg

Man, we are going in circles here. I'm open to the possibility that they can do well with Sweet Tooth in non-vehicular gameplay, but my issue with the character is more than that.

Yeah well, you know. That's, like, your opinion, man.

Personally I think he is one of the most iconic looking characters in gaming. Great design, instantly recognisable, highly marketable, got a good personality and some classic one liners to go along with it

He is one of the characters who couldn't be more perfect for this game IMO.

Only think that disappoints me is I haven't seen his chainsaw

So, after some digging, I found this:

"Characters can be killed through standard combat, but it is relatively rare and difficult compared to deaths that came through the specials."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...n-all-stars-battle-royale-and-we-go-hands-on/

The problem is, this is the exact OPPOSITE of what everyone else (IGN, Gametrailers, Destructoid, etc) was saying, that you can only kill through supers. I really, really wish the developers weren't so tight lipped on the game even though they just revealed it, the site is barren and devoid of features/info for the game and their own website hasn't been updated in ages.

I just wish there was a way of clarifying this, I'm getting pretty desperate to know if there's another way of KOing outside of supers -_- I just really, REALLY hope there are other ways of KOing. Anyone else have any luck finding a reliable source?

KingK

Did anyone ever bring up Dark Cloud? I don't mind to see character from Dark Cloud 2. (Red Headed Girl)

Myself and a few others have brought it up, yeah. I think either one of the protagonists would be great, but I'd also prefer the girl (Monica?). I mostly want them to build up demand for a Dark Cloud 3. I never did finish the first one, but I fucking loved Dark Cloud 2 so much.

this made me lol. there should be a trophy relating to that.

his chainsaw is in. I saw him using it in one of the gameplay videos as a normal attack.

SSReborn

"Characters can be killed through standard combat, but it is relatively rare and difficult compared to deaths that came through the specials."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...n-all-stars-battle-royale-and-we-go-hands-on/

The problem is, this is the exact OPPOSITE of what everyone else (IGN, Gametrailers, Destructoid, etc) was saying, that you can only kill through supers. I really, really wish the developers weren't so tight lipped on the game even though they just revealed it, the site is barren and devoid of features/info for the game and their own website hasn't been updated in ages.

I just wish there was a way of clarifying this, I'm getting pretty desperate to know if there's another way of KOing outside of supers -_- I just really, REALLY hope there are other ways of KOing. Anyone else have any luck finding a reliable source?

Someone should ask for some clarification on twitter

def sim

Yeah well, you know. That's, like, your opinion, man.

It sure is.

Personally I think he is one of the most iconic looking characters in gaming. Great design, instantly recognizable, highly marketable, got a good personality and some classic one liners to go along with it

He is one of the characters who couldn't be more perfect for this game IMO.

I agree with most of this. He is one of the most iconic characters in gaming, at least in the sense of nostalgia, but the design equates to gross ICP fan.

Drencrom

Holy shit, this better be true!

def sim

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember that it's possible to be KO'd by an enviromental hazard. Maybe that's what it's referring to?

Endo Punk

I guess Sweet tooths vocabulary has to be toned down. His victory speech will probably be "Shut up and bleed you mother... lover"

Little Timmy "Yeah I love my mommy"

If he meant environmental hazards then he worded it really bad.
The problem is, the guys over on the Gamefaqs forums keep swearing you can't be killed from environmental hazards and I can't find gameplay showing people getting killed by them now either. I kept going off what people were saying or writing in impressions after the event. I'm really hoping that's true though, I sent my tweet at him so..

To clarify that, he literally said this in his impression piece: "Characters can be killed through standard combat, but it is relatively rare and difficult compared to deaths that came through the specials." You can't mince those words up, he literally said you can kill via standard combat and not just supers. We just want clarification/proof that they haven't locked it to just supers, which I think is really lame if true.

def sim

I actually thought you were trying to prove my point.

Hey guess what, the moment I compare Kefka or the Joker to ICP and its fans is when you can correctly assert that point.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I personally don't think it's about who's the most popular and mainstream, I think it's more about celebrating the varied history of PlayStation.

What I've always thought was impressive of Sony with PlayStation, is that there wasn't just one game that dominated and defined the system, and sold 12 million copies.

Nintendo had Mario. Microsoft had Halo.

Sony had? That question mark is not a negative. Gran Turismo is certainly their biggest selling franchise, but what I admire is that all of their other properties have strong, dedicated fanbases.

What's better, as a company? Having one franchise that sells 12 million copies, or having multiple franchises that sell anywhere between 2-5 million copies?

Sony has so many million seller franchises, that I hardly think they cry themselves to sleep at night over not having one franchise that "dethroned" Mario or Halo.

I hate to talk about sales, I really do, because I think it's irrelevant to the quality of games, but I just keep seeing the argument that, "Well, because Twisted Metal didn't sell 8 million units, nobody knows what it is or wants it in the game!"

Fat Princess is the shit. It's an amazingly fun, well designed game, and I encourage anybody that likes competitive MP to play it. Especially with friends locally vs online or the CPU.

I literally laughed out loud when I saw her eat a piece of cake, blow up, and proceed to kick ass in PBR. I'm excited to see her.

I'm really hoping they add Nariko and Ellen to the roster, because I feel Heavenly Sword and Folklore are criminally underrated games, that released when it was trendy to shit all over the PS3 because of it's price tag.

My latest 3rd party character pick would be Jade from Beyond Good & Evil. She doesn't quite have a history with PlayStation (I bought the Gamecube version, actually, and didn't get the PS2 version until I sold my Gamecube. I currently have the PSN HD version as well as the PS2 version).

I feel her and Peyj would be great additions to the cast, and could add some interesting gameplay.

I'm really loving how different the revealed characters seem to be from one another in terms of function and strategy. I'm curious at personally trying out Sly Cooper, Radec, and Fat Princess. Kratos is going to be the big one, and I imagine he'll probably lure a lot of people to this game (Nathan Drake as well), but I'm more interested in the characters that people aren't that familiar with, or seeing in a traditional fighting game setting.

This damn game. So many possibilities for the roster. I can't wait to see the other character reveals.

I actually thought you were trying to prove my point.

Hey guess what, the moment I compare Kefka or the Joker to ICP and its fans is when you can correctly assert that point.
I fail to see how you connect one clown videogame character to a bunch of terrible rappers who paint their face, but don't with others?

Umm... are you fucking kidding me? Or am I missing the sarcasm?
That was definitely sarcasm

def sim

Umm... are you fucking kidding me?

To his defense, he is being snarky and believes the opposite.

I fail to see how you connect one clown videogame character to a bunch of terrible rappers who paint their face, but don't with others?

Yes, that you are. I never implied that all clowns are the same. Joker is not the same as Kefka nor is he the same as Pennywise. I can make the connection between Sweet Tooth and Juggalos because they are the same hardcore clown facade. You may disagree with me, but I don't think it's a hard link to make at all.

prwxv3

Forget about the gameplay and your favorite characters hitting each other for a second and just look at the game.

It is not a Playstation game. This is not a Sony game. Its a Nintendo game with Playstation costumes. Its not a love letter to Playstation fans, its a slap in the face in many respects.

Ok this has finally reached critical mass. Nintendo has exclusive rights to certain types of games now. Everyone else should respect that and leave these games to Nintendo.

cyborg009

Banned
I personally don't think it's about who's the most popular and mainstream, I think it's more about celebrating the varied history of PlayStation.

What I've always thought was impressive of Sony with PlayStation, is that there wasn't just one game that dominated and defined the system, and sold 12 million copies.

Nintendo had Mario. Microsoft had Halo.

Sony had? That question mark is not a negative. Gran Turismo is certainly their biggest selling franchise, but what I admire is that all of their other properties have strong, dedicated fanbases.

What's better, as a company? Having one franchise that sells 12 million copies, or having multiple franchises that sell anywhere between 2-5 million copies?

Sony has so many million seller franchises, that I hardly think they cry themselves to sleep at night over not having one franchise that "dethroned" Mario or Halo.

I hate to talk about sales, I really do, because I think it's irrelevant to the quality of games, but I just keep seeing the argument that, "Well, because Twisted Metal didn't sell 8 million units, nobody knows what it is or wants it in the game!"

Fat Princess is the shit. It's an amazingly fun, well designed game, and I encourage anybody that likes competitive MP to play it. Especially with friends locally vs online or the CPU.

I literally laughed out loud when I saw her eat a piece of cake, blow up, and proceed to kick ass in PBR. I'm excited to see her.

I'm really hoping they add Nariko and Ellen to the roster, because I feel Heavenly Sword and Folklore are criminally underrated games, that released when it was trendy to shit all over the PS3 because of it's price tag.

My latest 3rd party character pick would be Jade from Beyond Good & Evil. She doesn't quite have a history with PlayStation (I bought the Gamecube version, actually, and didn't get the PS2 version until I sold my Gamecube. I currently have the PSN HD version as well as the PS2 version).

I feel her and Peyj would be great additions to the cast, and could add some interesting gameplay.

I'm really loving how different the revealed characters seem to be from one another in terms of function and strategy. I'm curious at personally trying out Sly Cooper, Radec, and Fat Princess. Kratos is going to be the big one, and I imagine he'll probably lure a lot of people to this game (Nathan Drake as well), but I'm more interested in the characters that people aren't that familiar with, or seeing in a traditional fighting game setting.

This damn game. So many possibilities for the roster. I can't wait to see the other character reveals.

This game has a lot potential to be very good or bad, I really hope they get the roster right.

SmithnCo

Ok this has finally reached critical mass. Nintendo has exclusive rights to certain types of games now. Everyone else should respect that and leave these games to Nintendo.

lol, a "slap in the face." Video games are really serious business apparently.

B.O.O.M

As someone already mentioned I hope Sony include Kat from Gravity Daze. A lot of fun gameplay potential and also it should help make her a household name.

guek

Banned

Yeah I'd like to know more about this. How does it happen? Is it random? There's no visible health bar or % marker. Another thing I've been wondering is if your attacks/knockback/hitstun scale according to meter or some other similar factor.

Ran rp

You've overexplained your point because your point has no traction. We've seen Sweet Tooth out of his car plenty of times in the cinematic/story elements of the games and on advertisements etc. It's a car combat game, but Sweet Tooth is a character -- an iconic, humanoid character.

In contrast, the most we got out of Captain Falcon was an avatar of him as the driver of the blue hovercar.

It's a valid, and quite applicable comparison because both are drivers and it goes to show you that you can take a driver out of his car and create a very lovable and effective fighting game character. Sweet Tooth has a distinct advantage over pre-smash Captain Falcon in that Sweet Tooth was actually an iconic character in the series.

Including Sweet Tooth in this game is a no-brainer -- it's an excellent choice.

Sweet_Tooth.jpg

sweet.jpg

You could even buy a toy of Sweet Tooth. Not his car, but him. http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/3027.shtml. Sweet Tooth himself has been on more game covers than his car has.

Sweet Tooth looks like an awesome character. Maybe I'll try out the series one day.

It's from DToid community. I love Holmes, Dale, even Jim (when he does orinal content) but their community is a mixed bag.

I often jump into the "Outer Heaven" general chat, and you're right, it is a mixed bag.

Sometimes me and some other people are having a great discussion about what characters we want in PSASBR, then sometimes I go in and there are a few Nintendo fanboys crying about the game.

Honestly, this debate will never end well.

A couple pages ago someone made a wall of text that pretty much sum the whole thing up.

People asked for this kind of game, they asked for the formula that makes it good unlike games like DON stadium (same principle, poor execution).

I for one don't know many of the characters of brawl, and even melee. Some I do know but not because i played their games. Same applies here.

Why is this kind of game a winning formula? Fan service. Have there your favorite game character and there's a chance of a purchase there. Add more favorite characters, the chance of a purchase increases.

However, they have the chance to get it a step ahead of smash bros thanks to DLC. It was suggested before that a full game purchase could mean a code with a character/map for the game. That's...brilliant. A game that keeps being expansive with brand loyalty. Of course, that would happen as an agreement etc and you would still be able to buy the character without the game, but it would be a game that would run alongside the platforms life.

They better work their asses on the soundtrack, which is probably the second most important thing in this kind of game. Make a strong main theme that plays in different arrangements so it stays in the mind of players.

To me, Melee did this very well with the main theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2twMuVP_6mE

Which by the way is kinda fun, because the roster ain't that varied. 3 characters for Zelda, 6 characters for Mario series, 2 from BoF, some one hit wonders, 3 pokemon, samus, and cameo mr.game and watch.

---

The game that makes what we really want is "card sagas wars". Then again that's a fangame that can only exist as such.

slayzz

Yes, that you are. I never implied that all clowns are the same. Joker is not the same as Kefka nor is he the same as Pennywise. I can make the connection between Sweet Tooth and Juggalos because they are the same hardcore clown facade. You may disagree with me, but I don't think it's a hard link to make at all.

Are you fucking kidding me. Sweet Tooth is a psychopathic serial killer and Juggalos are dumb clowns with face paint that listen to ICP.

people finding every little thing to nip pick on.

def sim

Are you fucking kidding me. Sweet Tooth is a psychopathic serial killer and Juggalos are dumb clowns with face paint that listen to ICP.

No I'm not joking, angry guy. I'm talking about design, not what the character is.

people have crap comprehension

PSY・S;37415747 said:
Sweet Tooth looks like an awesome character. Maybe I'll try out the series one day.
And this is exactly how this shit works.

General words of advise if you ever try out the series: TM1 is alright but TM2 is much better and has some good cutscenes. TM3 and TM4 are complete trash so don't bother with them. TM: Head On is less trash but still a good amount of trash. Twisted Metal: Black is a really good one but it has a much darker tone. The Twisted Metal reboot on PS3 though is where its at, really well done but you definitely need to have a feel for this type of gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom