• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation E3 Experience 2017: Live in Theaters June 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the appeal of watching E3 in a theatre anyway? Personally I would find it to detract from the experience, but I am curious as to why it entices some people.

WaterAstro

IT BEGINS!

YanwKyg.gif

What is the appeal of watching E3 in a theatre anyway? Personally I would find it to detract from the experience, but I am curious as to why it entices some people.

Someone pees on you out of sheer uncontrollable excitement, and you get to bathe in their liquid hype.

FinKL

Video game trailers on a huge movie theater screen. You don't find an appeal in that vs a computer monitor? I mean if youre rocking a huge projector/OLED I can see why some would balk, but this is a cool special experience to get to see other gamers and take in the hype together.

quesalupa

The cummulative hype is the main appeal for me. The gameplay on the big screen is also nice. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to the gaffers that cringe at excitement.

The hype lol, when Shenmue and FF7 remakes got announced, our theater went fucking wild, it felt amazing.

And I was in a theater when Sony was shitting on Microsoft's Xbox DRM policies nonstop, it was a thing of beauty.

Also I met some people I still occasionally play online with, its just nice be around like minded nerds, just like at Conventions and such

ViciousDS

Banned
What usually comes in this?

beta keys and a theme......

If its anything like the one in 2014

guaranteed a Destiny 2 beta key will be in there

which they ended up opening it up to everyplayer anyways.....was kind of stupid lol.

But fuck that, getting a ticket doesn't guarantee a seat anymore? what the fuck is that shit!

Not worth going to the theater anymore after getting a decent 4k TV and a decent sound system. The quality is actually better at home. The atmosphere was cool the year I went, But holy fuck the entire theater smelled like people hadn't showered for days.

Not worth going to the theater anymore after getting a decent 4k TV and a decent sound system. The quality is actually better at home. The atmosphere was cool the year I went, But holy fuck the entire theater smelled like people hadn't showered for days.
Our theaters (both years) did not have these smells you speak of. Where were you? Also, just FYI only the theaters get the 4K60fps surround sound broadcast. At home you get 1080p stereo.

ViciousDS

Banned
Our theaters (both years) did not have these smells you speak of. Where were you? Also, just FYI only the theaters get the 4K60fps surround sound broadcast. At home you get 1080p stereo.

Chicago, I was a PSMVP at the time......so we had reserved seating and I helped check the people into the theater and stuff

Cloud7

I was able to get in easily each of the past 3 years due to me being in Pittsburgh, PA. However, with the new rules and with me being in LA for E3 in person, I'm definitely worried that my girlfriend and I won't be fast enough on the trigger.

Fisty

Thanks for putting both LA shows right in the middle of the damn city... there's no way I'm going to drive through that crap in Monday rush hour.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

you get to be around fellow Playstation fans and get some funny reactions whether good or bad. 2015 was monstrous with those 3 huge surprise announcements. I loved being there for that. Fun to get some crowd energy. I also love going to movies opening/crowded nights though.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Thanks for putting both LA shows right in the middle of the damn city... there's no way I'm going to drive through that crap in Monday rush hour.

but if you're going in shouldn't the traffic be lighter if everybody is leaving at the end of the day?

gsrjedi

They mentioned in the comments a single gofobo account can get 2 tickets.

The last 2 years here in the Phoenix area, neither theater I went to was full. It sucks that they keep moving it to theaters farther away though.

the same reason why people wanna spent hundreds of dollars to attend a live concert where the singer sing out of tune with alot of background noise instead of at home listening to the perfectly directly album on a sound bar. Or why ppl wanna spent money on attending live sport events when they can barely see the players vs watching it at home with perfectly zoomed cameras and angles.

There's something 'different' about seeing an event live with hundreds of people vs seeing it at home by yourself.

border

A ticket does not guarantee you a seat?

If they're just going to oversell the event, I'm not sure I want to bother.

I went to this the first year they did it and I really wish I hadn't. The stream didn't even look as good as it does on my monitor, and I had to put up with neckbeards in the theater yelling their little jokes at various moments. I also missed out on the NeoGAF conference experience, which is oftentimes the best thing about E3.

EDIT: To be fair, Sony's conference that year wasn't nearly as strong as the ones they've done since (Powers, anybody?). I bet the E3 of Dreams was pretty cool to see as part of a crowd.

Mikey Jr.

I'm assuming if you come late, they aren't saving your seat.

If you arrive on time, you'll get a seat. Late, and they give it away.

FingerBang

Do Japan gets stuff like this too? Or don't they do it

Not that I know, at least not for E3. Sony's conference is at like 1 PM, I don't see many people taking a day off to watch a conference (I'll just stream it pretending to work like I did for the Switch).

Admodieus

I think that the theater showings work for Sony because of how they unveil games at their press conference. The clips often begin with no introduction or name card and slowly let details unravel that clue you into what the game is. Think about how they showed off Resident Evil 7 last year (even though that's a Capcom game) or Uncharted: The Lost Legacy at PSX. It's their habit of hiding the true nature of a title that really plays to a live crowd. Often times I'm sitting there thinking, "Well this looks interesting" only for it to be revealed to be a major title I may not have previously been interested in.

bumpkin

Being surrounded by fellow fans who are as excited about the announcements as you are? I went to it last year and it was awesome hearing the cheers and jeers, especially when they unveiled God of War.

The last 2 years here in the Phoenix area, neither theater I went to was full. It sucks that they keep moving it to theaters farther away though.
Nice.

I think that the theater showings work for Sony because of how they unveil games at their press conference. The clips often begin with no introduction or name card and slowly let details unravel that clue you into what the game is. Think about how they showed off Resident Evil 7 last year (even though that's a Capcom game) or Uncharted: The Lost Legacy at PSX. It's their habit of hiding the true nature of a title that really plays to a live crowd. Often times I'm sitting there thinking, "Well this looks interesting" only for it to be revealed to be a major title I may not have previously been interested in.
Yep.

There is an unpredictability to Sony's conference that makes it work. Usually, third party stuff is just given a standard announcement but, as you pointed out, even something like RE7 from Capcom blew people away.

Sony just gets the "show" part of the conference.

A room full of potentially like minded individuals getting excited about stuff just like you.
Sony's show is almost entirely based around how they do the reveals as well.
only thing better would be actually being in the E3 conference theater.
Its just a damn fun time, once a year.

Especially when its something relatively niche and you have someone like this in the crowd https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN5tam4Fo7g
I was doing the exact same thing for the Ace Combat 7 reveal but since it was for PSX I was at home.

Hmm...I could take my brother this way but I'm wondering if he'll need an I.D. or if he can just be tagging with me. He's not 17 though.

border

I just hope the switch to GoFobo means that the servers won't instantly melt as soon as tickets go up for grabs, like they did in previous years.

Friggin countin' down, baby.

This will be my fourth in a row if I can snag tickets. It my favorite new E3 tradition.

It feels like GAF in 4D. (I will also be posting on 2D GAF simultaneously.)

daveo42

Banned
Debating on whether or not to go again this year. It's been fun in year's past, but chilling at home and watching a stream with some hot pizza has also been pretty nice.

Wow, there's actually a theater close by that'll have this. Was honestly expecting the closest one to be a few hours away :p

But, I don't know if I can sit through an entire E3 conference. Usually, if they're more than an hour long, my attention goes down pretty hard and I just sort of leave it in the background while I do something else. Still, this is pretty cool. Does Microsoft do this as well or nah?

Ryde3

fingers crossed I get a pair of tickets! I went to the first two but got screwed last year. GoFobo is def a step up from eventbrite and the other shitty sites they used in the past.

Wow, there's actually a theater close by that'll have this. Was honestly expecting the closest one to be a few hours away :p

But, I don't know if I can sit through an entire E3 conference. Usually, if they're more than an hour long, my attention goes down pretty hard and I just sort of leave it in the background while I do something else. Still, this is pretty cool. Does Microsoft do this as well or nah?
Nah, they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom