• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation has 21 Million PlayStation Plus Subscribers

Tripon

I know right I am racking up a massive 0$ per month on PC. The service has slightly more features than the bare-bones of the PS3 days.

They took people by the balls because they know the vocal-minority will piss and moan but in the end they will get the 80% majority. When you get 20-21 million paying 4-5 dollars a month while footing a tenth if that of actual cost. Things look pretty good.

80%?

at 21 milion, that's roughly above 50% with a 40 million install base.

I know right I am racking up a massive 0$ per month on PC. The service has slightly more features than the bare-bones of the PS3 days.

They took people by the balls because they know the vocal-minority will piss and moan but in the end they will get the 80% majority. When you get 20-21 million paying 4-5 dollars a month while footing a tenth if that of actual cost. Things look pretty good.
Well not 80% at all really. Some people don't care about online that much. My point is, it's an insignificant amount of money to a lot of people, Sony read the market correctly and adopted a policy to make them more $$.

You think a 64GB iPhone actually cost $900 to make? It's just about value perception, it's different for every consumer.

They didn't take anyone by the balls. They offered a service and many people bought it because they thought it would be worth the money.

And in Australia with a 100mbit fibre connection it still only downloads around 1-2mb/s on Ethernet if i am lucky. The Witcher 3(44gb) took nearly 2 full days to download. Pathetic.

Steam, Battle.net, Origin, even uPlay all max my connection.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
would be dope...I think a lot of PS4 people would try out Vue if it was part of PS+

I think Sony actually had a survey out not too long ago asking aobut improvements and additions peopled wanted for PS+ and a discount to PS Vue was an option. So who know's, it could be coming down the line sometime. Maybe when the service is on more devices and their channel selection has been more fleshed out and features brought up to snuff.

Fat4all

Banned
I think Sony actually had a survey out not too long ago asking aobut improvements and additions peopled wanted for PS+ and a discount to PS Vue was an option. So who know's, it could be coming down the line sometime. Maybe when the service is on more devices and their channel selection has been more fleshed out and features brought up to snuff.

They already offer PS+ discounts on extra Vue channel packages, like Starz and stuff like that, I could see discounts expanding to the service itself eventually.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They already offer PS+ discounts on extra Vue channel packages, like Starz and stuff like that, I could see discounts expanding to the service itself eventually.

I'm hoping they can get HBO to jump in for a extra add on like the Starz bundle. I'd jump on that.

because they changed from free online play to paid online play, after they'd already got people hooked with free play for 7 years.

Not sure what you're trying to say here?

My point was that 50% have proven to be a stable assumption ratio of no of PS+ subs vs PS4 install base, since it maintained 50% even at 10mil PS4s, 20mil PS4s or 40mil PS4s.

because they changed from free online play to paid online play, after they'd already got people hooked with free play for 7 years.

They released a new product, with new games that required paid online. PS3 is still free online, or are you suggesting online play is so addictive people are unable to not spend $500+ on new tech and yearly subscriptions to fulfil their need?

And in Australia with a 100mbit fibre connection it still only downloads around 1-2mb/s on Ethernet if i am lucky. The Witcher 3(44gb) took nearly 2 full days to download. Pathetic.

Steam, Battle.net, Origin, even uPlay all max my connection.
I'm in Australia on a 110Mbps EuroDOCSIS 3.0 cable connection, and it completely maxes my connection at roughly 14 MB/s.

Harmen

Thus far I am happy with the games I got and for many months, the discounts actually saved me more money than a month costs (>4,17 euros discount). I also enjoyed some of the betas/demos we got.

Aye.

From a business perspective it certainly was. Even the way they announced it was genius. Masked by the story of no XB1 like DRM.

However from a consumer perspective it's similar to being grabbed by the balls.

They'd been taught by Microsoft that consumers like being grabbed by the balls and will defend it quite robustly versus a free service.

It also seems to give a competitive advantage if you have the larger ecosystem, as consumers aren't necessarily willing to pay for two almost identical services.

So not necessarily good for us, but was almost inevitable after what happened last generation.

Nice to see the sales where they are. I stopped caring about the free games (although they do offer some good titles, just have a massive backlog) as of recently so I currently only subscribe so my girlfriend can play ESO.

Caayn

They'd been taught by Microsoft that consumers like being grabbed by the balls and will defend it quite robustly versus a free service.
True, and we've indeed got MS, and the users who defended it, to blame for that.
It also seems to give a competitive advantage if you have the larger ecosystem, as consumers aren't necessarily willing to pay for two almost identical services.
This also plays a part, I can personally vouch for it.

I used to have both PS+ and XBLG. I dropped PS+ as I didn't saw any added value at keeping both subscriptions and as I had more friends on the XB1 than I do on PS4. Right now I'd drop XBLG as well if a) my friends go to PC or b) multiplayer becomes free.

Too bad the service still sucks, what a shocker. Free money for sony I guess, god knows where it's all going.

Like someone already said, this has become an urban myth by now. How does it suck? I was 360 player during last generation and moved to PS4 this gen. Granted, I don't play as much as I used to, but I've had zero issues during the first 12 months owning the system. Like none at all. Seems to work just fine to me.

wbEMX

Even the PS3 offerings have been shocking since the PS4.

The "jumping the shark" moment for me came when LocoRoco Cocoreccho went into the Plus lineup in May. A fucking interactive screensaver from 2007. What. Don't get me wrong, I loved LocoRoco on the PSP back then, but LocoRoco Cocoreccho doesn't even really count as a game.

Azriell

A lot of bitterness in this thread. While it does suck that online mp switched to requiring PS+, it was bound to happen. I would say psn is far closer in quality to xbl today than ever during last gen, and I think most people would agree. Presumably this is because Sony had invested in psn now that everyone who uses it is paying for it, which is pretty much what they said at e3 2013. And yeah there are people who still have problems, but overall things have gotten much better.

Furthermore, for those who buy a few games a year and pay full price for them, it sucks that you don't get the full benefits of the platform. However PS+ easily saves me more than the upfront cost each year. I don't know the exact savings per title, but $3~4 per $20+ game on sale adds up fast when there's a pretty good sale most weeks. I bought something like 8 games over the past 2-3 weeks, and I'm sure the PS+ discount saved me at least $20 (from the non-ps+ price). With almost zero effort you can get PS+ for $40/year, or ~$35 if you are patient and diligent. It pays for itself in no time.

thelastword

Banned
Very impressive...........that's a lot of money. I hope we begin to see even further improvements to PSN and it's offerings with all their investments in Gaikai and other recent acquisitions.

Crayon

A lot of bitterness in this thread. While it does suck that online mp switched to requiring PS+, it was bound to happen. I would say psn is far closer in quality to xbl today than ever during last gen, and I think most people would agree. Presumably this is because Sony had invested in psn now that everyone who uses it is paying for it, which is pretty much what they said at e3 2013. And yeah there are people who still have problems, but overall things have gotten much better.

Furthermore, for those who buy a few games a year and pay full price for them, it sucks that you don't get the full benefits of the platform. However PS+ easily saves me more than the upfront cost each year. I don't know the exact savings per title, but $3~4 per $20+ game on sale adds up fast when there's a pretty good sale most weeks. I bought something like 8 games over the past 2-3 weeks, and I'm sure the PS+ discount saved me at least $20 (from the non-ps+ price). With almost zero effort you can get PS+ for $40/year, or ~$35 if you are patient and diligent. It pays for itself in no time.

True true true. I would like to state that I am glad to see the bitterness rather than a bunch of fat little piggies circle jerking about how happy they are to pay for the privilege!

Biltmore

Banned
They didn't take anyone by the balls. They offered a service and many people bought it because they thought it would be worth the money.

It used to be worth the money, now it's basically garbage. It's probably been a year or more since it was worth it as a PS4 owner.

zeopower6

It used to be worth the money, now it's basically garbage. It's probably been a year or more since it was worth it as a PS4 owner.

The discounts are the main draw atm. PS+ game quality should go up soon though as other titles get older.

I don't think I'll ever let my PS+ expire tbh.

Fitts

I'm sure many would cancel if they weren't forced to pay for online multiplayer. Fuck Microsoft for ever making that a thing and fuck Sony for... well, making a smart short term business decision.

I wish more of my friends played on PC. Every once in a while you still get a good game on plus, (Rocket League, Furi is a nice surprise) but if I had no need for the multiplayer I'd cancel in a heartbeat.

Fat4all

Banned
My PSN subscription ended a few days ago, that makes it 20,999,999 now, ha.

VuYulx9.png

Alebrije

Hope it's just matter of time to see games like Knack, The Order, Killzone, etc free on Plus

Otherwise I will be forcet to cancel the ....idea and just play online.

Top Bottom