• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation invites UK press for "slim" reveal

I can't believe people still cling to the idea of the memory cards being the primary reason that the Vita is failing.

For as poorly as it's doing, if the Vita didn't have a proprietary memory card that stores could sell with a high mark-up on them, it would have been doomed to something slightly above PSPGo levels of failure. Or, to put it another way, it would have sold about as well as the nVidia Shield is right now. There's a ton of reasons why the Vita isn't competitive in today's market (sales-wise), and memory cards are much farther down the list than most people believe.

It's one reason of many, some of which are unfixable. I don't think anyone's said anything to the contrary.

Massa

If it really is just going to be a Vita 2K announcement why can't they just put out a press release instead of inviting a bunch of press to a briefing? A briefing seems really overkill for a non-new version of a dead product.

The press can't have hands-on with new products over a press release, and previews and impressions for said event generate far more traffic than a news blurb would.

Sony holds press events all the time. They invite the press over to check out their upcoming stuff, they get coverage for that stuff in return. It's pretty standard.

Hasn't the PS3's CPU/GPU been shrunk down further for the purpose of Playstation Now servers? I wouldn't be shocked if it lead to an "ultra-slim" at a lower price now that the PS4 has been released.

The current super slim is still at 45nm/40nm, which has been the case since the 2010 model. There were rumors from Digital Foundry about another shrink for both Cell and RSX, hopefully we'll see that in a consumer PS3 soon. It may be unrealistic but I really wish they would do another PS3, one with a silent Blu-ray drive again.

If it really is just going to be a Vita 2K announcement why can't they just put out a press release instead of inviting a bunch of press to a briefing? A briefing seems really overkill for a non-new version of a dead product.

They're probably going to announce a new lineup of games along with it, and that'll give the press a chance to get some hands on time with them. They did the same thing when they announced PSP go.

The current super slim is still at 45nm/40nm, which has been the case since the 2010 model. There were rumors from Digital Foundry about another shrink for both Cell and RSX, hopefully we'll see that in a consumer PS3 soon. It may be unrealistic but I really wish they would do another PS3, one with a silent Blu-ray drive again.

There's a lot of markets where the PS2 is still the only thing that sells. Sony's not producing the PS2 anymore; they need a much smaller and cheaper version of the PS3 to take that seat. It's inevitable.

Spiegel

They're probably going to announce a new lineup of games along with it, and that'll give the press a chance to get some hands on time with them. They did the same thing when they announced PSP go.

In the interest of managing expectations, please don’t anticipate any software announcements.

Just the PSV-2000 or PS3 megaslim, it seems.

pukko

Neo Member
There's a lot of markets where the PS2 is still the only thing that sells. Sony's not producing the PS2 anymore; they need a much smaller and cheaper version of the PS3 to take that seat. It's inevitable.

Yes they need to make a PS3 you can sell at ~$100 and be profitable. Theoretically a Vita TV & PS Now could make the PS3 redundant, but that is too dependent on good internet access to be a feasible option.

DieH@rd

Banned
EVENT HAS STARTED!
https://twitter.com/CVG_News/status/428826083426045952/photo/1

BfN_DPvIEAAahwf.jpg:large

SaucyJack

Other Vita comments

Fergal's now talking about the Vita, emphasising last year's bundles and Remote Play.

Announcing a new Indie Games Mega-Pack for £20, including 10 titles and a 4GB memory card

Invizimals is getting two new games on PS Vita, aiming at a younger audience.

Also Pets and Lego Movie Games coming to Vita.

Hohokum, Big Fest, Helldivers, Destiny of Spirits, they're rattling off upcoming titles here.

Many we know about already, like Murasaki Baby, FFX & X-2, Football Manager Classic 2014…

i wouldn't mind a PS3 the size of a vita tv. i mean, if they can fit a gaming PC into a size similar to vita tv then it should be perfectly doable for PS3.

i mean, just look at the size of the new alienware steam machine

alienware-steam-machine.jpg%3Fw%3D558

HAHAHAH WHAT THE FUCK. How small is the PC then ????

THat is comically big.

SaucyJack

so are there gonna be new games announced?

AS noted above

Announcing a new Indie Games Mega-Pack for £20, including 10 titles and a 4GB memory card

Invizimals is getting two new games on PS Vita, aiming at a younger audience.

Also Pets and Lego Movie Games coming to Vita.

Hohokum, Big Fest, Helldivers, Destiny of Spirits, they're rattling off upcoming titles here.

Many we know about already, like Murasaki Baby, FFX & X-2, Football Manager Classic 2014…

Top Bottom