• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Meeting 2013 Thread: Go Fourth

Davey Cakes

It's really interesting to see how people react to strong hardware announcements, but then get disappointed by "expected game" announcements.

Basically, I think it shows that people love the idea of consoles, enough to get really excited, but in the end what really grabs them are the GAMES.

Maybe Microsoft can use that to their advantage. Show off the hardware but put the focus all on the games. With Nintendo and Sony there are a lot of "promises" plus maybe a couple of surprises, and the rest are expected titles. If MS could pull out some sort of impressive and interesting trump card, it would bring back that true sense of competition.

I say this as a Nintendo fan. I love my Wii U and appreciate its features greatly, but in the end what I really want to see out of the system are amazing games, with system features there merely as a bonus. Putting features at the forefront is not always the best way to go.

Hardware doesn't sell hardware. Software sells hardware. I'm not downplaying the games that were shown at this meeting, I'm just going by the vibes in this thread.

So here's my personal feelings so far.

- PS4 controller looks amazing to me, it looks like the grips look comfortable. Also that share button is amazing something I've always wanted
- Knack looks okay but not awesome, it kinda reminds me of old platformers
- Streaming service sounds amazing and that streaming games is something I've always wanted
- Killzone's graphics of the city was mesmerizing bt I'm not that hyped of shooters
- Infamous Second Son looks fun, though the only thing I can say for now is that I love the main character's design and his chain whip
- Witness I've never been attracted to puzzles but love the cartoon graphics
- That old man looked WAY to real I barely have the words to say about that, especially Phanta Reih
- Final Fantasy hype begins for me.... now
- Blizzard's pairing with Sony is shocking to me, but intriguing
- Lastly, I know what I'm getting Watch Dogs for ;)

Overall - 8/10
I know what the PS4 is capable of now, but I don't know what it looks like. Still it's pretty good to still have stuff to look forward to at E3.

PS: Holy crap Gaf is blowing up right now, it was hard enough getting on the site. Now it's 10x harder to post this message lol.

TheLawyer

Neo Member
How are some people disappointed? To me, Sony did pretty much everything (except for actually showcase the form factor of the console) that they needed to.

They demonstrated user functionality and, very importantly, some integration with the Vita. They showcased a variety of 1st and 3rd party games. They demonstrated extremely powerful hardware with the nice surprise of the greater RAM inclusion, and the games, by and large, looked pretty spectacular. You even had an announcement in the form of the Blizzard partnership that would largely melt any E3 event.

It was an effective and efficient performance with some great announcements. To call it disappointing is inherently asinine.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Presentation was really promising, but after they showed off the features it went downhill fast. Another KZ or Infamous entry isn't going to get me excited. At least they showed off one new IP. Diablo III coming to PS3/4 was the joke of the night, followed closely by SE's presentation. Capcom Souls could be interesting.
No price and no console shown was pretty disappointing, I definitely expected a price announcement.

The main thing I'm taking away from this conference : Watch Dogs kicks ass.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
My only mistake was getting hyped for Last Guardian. I kindof knew I shouldn't but I let myself do that anyway. What the hell happened to that team.

I didn't expect any other game outside Watch Dogs and Destiny, but I think the fact there was so much time spent on games that I couldn't help but get more and more depressed that everything is exactly the same as we have now but with better graphics.

Boerseun

Banned
Wow, that was terribly underwhelming.

What was with all the rhetoric and vapid philosophising? And why was virtually everything they showed heavily scripted with limited (if any) player control? And when it was actual gameplay (looking at you Watch Dogs) the screen tearing was so distracting that I couldn't focus on what the player was actually meant to achieve. (I also didn't like the cop killing in that particular game, especially so close to the whole Dorner incident.)

Mixed feelings. No footage of The Last Guardian really disappointed me. I was sure this time that it was going to make its comeback at the event, yet still no mention of it. Not enough straight-up gameplay footage of Sony's inhouse software either I felt. But the console itself seems to be doing everything right this time. It seems like a very forward thinking piece of hardware with a lot of terrific features.

It was pretty good overall; could've been better. inFamous Second Son needed to show some gameplay footage big time.

A show by Sony tonight was very impressed with what I saw. Mark Cerny delivered beautifully (GAF reaction to the 8GB GDDR5 is an example of that). The games on show like Killzone Shadowfall and inFamous Second Son looked very nice and quite colourful.

The third parties were less impressive especially Square Enix who just showed the Agni's Philosophy tech demo again. Capcom were pretty good, getting someone like Ono on was a great idea. Not really interested in Diablo 3 but I await to see what else Blizzard are up to. Also Watch_Dogs and Destiny looked stunning and I can't wait to pick these up.

Although I don't think that the PS4 will be all that cheap though. The feature set is very impressive but all this has got to come at a high price. We'll have to wait at E3 for that but for now I can safely say.

SONY DELIVERED TODAY.

Row

Banned
+ 8GB GDDR5
+ Holiday 2013
+ Neat streaming aspects, especially remote play and play as you're downloading
+ Lots of the social aspects very neat
+ Killzone looked really nice

- Nothing but tech demos really
- Lots of stuff we've seen before
- No PS4 design reveal

Felt like a glorified lead-up announcement to E3, but of what was said and shown the PS4 does seem like it's going to be a really great system

CatPee

The people in this thread who were disappointed that Sony didn't show literally everything about the PS4 4-5 months before E3 are weird.

Boerseun

Banned
Wow, that was terribly underwhelming.

What was with all the rhetoric and vapid philosophising? And why was virtually everything they showed heavily scripted with limited (if any) player control? And when it was actual gameplay (looking at you Watch Dogs) the screen tearing was so distracting that I couldn't focus on what the player was actually meant to achieve. (I also didn't like the cop killing in that particular game, especially so close to the whole Dorner incident.)

Xellos

Pretty great reveal. The hardware seems to be very powerful. I did not expect 8GB GDDR5, so that's nice. Software looks good, but many of the games looked super early. The Witness, Watch Dogs, Knack, and Drive Club were the most interesting games to me.

I'm curious about the price. I can't imagine this going for $400.

Anyway, bring on next gen! Can't wait to see how MS's next console stacks up to this. The bar has been set pretty high.

A show by Sony tonight was very impressed with what I saw. Mark Cerny delivered beautifully (GAF reaction to the 8GB GDDR5 is an example of that). The games on show like Killzone Shadowfall and inFamous Second Son looked very nice and quite colourful.

The third parties were less impressive especially Square Enix who just showed the Agni's Philosophy tech demo again. Capcom were pretty good, getting someone like Ono on was a great idea. Not really interested in Diablo 3 but I await to see what else Blizzard are up to. Also Watch_Dogs and Destiny looked stunning and I can't wait to pick these up.

Although I don't think that the PS4 will be all that cheap though. The feature set is very impressive but all this has got to come at a high price. We'll have to wait at E3 for that but for now I can safely say.

SONY DELIVERED TODAY.

Did anyone notice they never said anything about games being on Blu-ray? I believe they only talked about downloading them. Could this console be a download only system? It seems like it may very well be.

SONY DELIVERED TODAY.

Edit: Sorry about the triple post. That 504 error just now really shook GAF up.

Row

Banned
+ 8GB GDDR5
+ Holiday 2013
+ Neat streaming aspects, especially remote play and play as you're downloading
+ Lots of the social aspects very neat
+ Killzone looked really nice

- Nothing but tech demos really
- Lots of stuff we've seen before
- No PS4 design reveal

Felt like a glorified lead-up announcement to E3, but of what was said and shown the PS4 does seem like it's going to be a really great system

The Chef

^ Im with ya. ZERO ps3/vita sales figures thank god.

8GB DDR5 Ram is freakin UNREAL
Cross play PS4 to VITA was insane.
Killzone, not surprisingly, looked like the most impressive gameplay I've ever seen.
and to top it off with Blizzard and Bungie.

Epic show Sony.
Now we need to start a new thread for the E3 countdown...

mclem

Intrigued, but not excited. It's doing some very nice stuff behind the scenes, and the graphics look phenomenal - but the only game that really sparked my interest was The Witness, and, well, I was already interested in that.

If we take some of those visuals at face value - and not 'target renders' - I do worry significantly about how affordable they'll be to produce and if you can still turn a profit in that sort of situation. But, well, I'm not the business guy here! Still, I don't really see a way in to this system for the likes of Atlus any time soon - particularly given they've only recently got titles out for PS3!

Some bits of the tech were only covered briefly and I didn't really see the point of them. It did nothing to convince me of why the Dualshock 4's touchpad is worthwhile, or why you want the new Eye to see the glowy bit on it. Those might be worthwhile features, but you haven't shown me that.

I did notice the conspicuous lack of mention of a pricetag. Waiting for MS to move first, or not wanting to dull the momentum of the show? I can't help but wonder that if it was good news, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops, but it could simply be a strategic wait.

I do want one, but that's my nature; it's a games console, I am a collector, I will own one at some point. The presentation hasn't convinced me that I need one, though.

Chris R

If a price is right and a game is there I can see myself taking vacation days and lining up for this sucker!

If the games aren't there at launch then I wait for one to come out!

Really nice show they did today.

Knoxcore

I feel Microsoft is going to steal the show by announcing a subsidized price for their next console with a Gold subscription. I have a bad feeling the PS4 is going to be north of $400.

nib95

Banned
Gotta say, looks markedly more comfortable than the DS3.

ds421.jpg

Also, screen looks clickable.

xlarge.jpg

Jarnet87

Was into it until they started doing the games. No last Guardian Lawls. Enix just pissing even further on whats left of it's western fanbase. Loved the hardware stuff, hated the fact that Playstation is trying to be Xbox software wise.

Tamanon

Banned
Loved it, loved the focus on the games and developers. Tons more discussed than I thought there would be.

Watch Dogs and Deep Down look great.

Id give it an 8/10, definitely showed its power but would have liked to see a few more game announcements.

Aside from that, it's going to be fantastic.

seantos

Neo Member
The reuse to tech demos by square was pretty sad. Also disappointed by the lack of Kaz. Overall it seemed pretty successful though and my mind is still struggling to even comprehend the awesomeness that is 8gb of GDDR 5 unified ram.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Nothing they showed today really excited me, but they seem to be on a solid track with the idea of the console. Still, price is VITAL and can completely suck the wind out of their sails. Lack of a console being shown made me feel like this is earlier than I expected, but E3 will surely pull the curtains on the rest.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I can only imagine that the games will look even better by the end of the year. The games on display today (in real time I might add), is at least a year off, and Sony just doubled the amount of RAM available. I consider what I saw a very promising start.

Hex

Banned
My network connection dropped a few times, so I maybe I missed it. I heard no mention of the PS4 having a bluray drive or users being able to purchase a physical copy of a game. Should I assume the PS4 is going all digital?

No, you shouldn't assume it.
Sony will ride blu ray into the far future.

SelfCon

It was weird to read all the "underwhelming" talk here and then watch the Giantbomb crew give their glowing impressions on their live stream.

In my opinion, they nailed it.

Top Bottom