• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Move Thread: It Only Does Everything

LifEndz

Sinthetic said:
It only does Jack shit.

stop-postingjbx1.gif

onQ123

R_thanatos said:
They stated that they couldn't with the PSeye , because they use the microsoft libraries for voice recognition that are built-in kinect ..doing the same with any other software would require a lot of work ( because they didn't made the voice recognition and would have to made a similar thing for PC and PS3 )

BUt i agree that move targetting would be a no brainer ( at least )

2aeyrk6.jpg

So, I take it that there's nothing out there but Singstar for voice commands. And, yes, there's official support, yet it seems that there are no newer games in the last year that feature it. That seems to say that either the market isn't seen to be worth the effort and/or the provided support isn't enough to make it worth the effort.

Grinchy

Banned
Some people wonder if MGS4 is getting trophies every time its OT is bumped.

I wonder if Hot Shots is getting its Move patch every time this one is bumped =(

yurinka

MightyHedgehog said:
So, I take it that there's nothing out there but Singstar for voice commands. And, yes, there's official support, yet it seems that there are no newer games in the last year that feature it. That seems to say that either the market isn't seen to be worth the effort and/or the provided support isn't enough to make it worth the effort.
I thought the Socom games used voice commands even in PS2 and PSP.

Voice recognition, -like a lot of other things that Kinect does- is just software, so it can be made (or has already been made) with any microphone in any system.

yurinka said:
I thought the Socom games used voice commands even in PS2 and PSP.

Voice recognition, -like a lot of other things that Kinect does- is just software, so it can be made (or has already been made) with any microphone in any system.
Oh, I know about that as I've been using Naturally Speaking on Win for many years now. However, from an interview I remember reading not too long ago, the Kinect makes it easier to handle the audio stream for recognition because of the hardware capability to isolate the voice. As well, no one wants to wear a headset if you don't have to. Just getting used to having voice recognition in newer Kinect titles as well as anticipating the new dash with voice search made me want to try out any newer Move/PS Eye titles using voice recognition.

Bebpo

Banned
Should I buy a MOVE?

I just got Child of Eden, which brings me to 4 games that I'd want to use move with (Dead Space Extraction, Child of Eden, LBP2 dino-thingy, Echochrome ii), and 2 games that maybe I would use, maybe I wouldn't (Killzone 3, Resistance 3).

The entry price is lower these days, so wondering if I should bite. Is Move worth it if you don't care about casual Wii-type party experiences and just want it for the few normal games where it improves the experience?

Also how much room space do you need and can you put the camera below the tv aimed up?

Number45

Maybe see if you can borrow one from somewhere? I had a really positive experience with both KZ3 and R3 (though the implementations differ a little), I can't comment so much on the other games though. Sports Champions is actually far from party friendly though (you won't get far thrashing around like a lunatic), and is still one of the best showcases for what the Move is capable of (albeit with a lack of character).

You can place the camera below the TV just fine, and as for the space needed - you don't need any more space for most games than you would need if you were using a DS3. It's only the active games (Sports Champions for example) that require all that extra space. :)

Bebpo said:
Should I buy a MOVE?

I just got Child of Eden, which brings me to 4 games that I'd want to use move with (Dead Space Extraction, Child of Eden, LBP2 dino-thingy, Echochrome ii), and 2 games that maybe I would use, maybe I wouldn't (Killzone 3, Resistance 3).

The entry price is lower these days, so wondering if I should bite. Is Move worth it if you don't care about casual Wii-type party experiences and just want it for the few normal games where it improves the experience?

Also how much room space do you need and can you put the camera below the tv aimed up?

Yes, yes and yes.

Give KZ3 and R3 a shot - Move significantly enhanced the experience for me.

patsu

MightyHedgehog said:
Oh, I know about that as I've been using Naturally Speaking on Win for many years now. However, from an interview I remember reading not too long ago, the Kinect makes it easier to handle the audio stream for recognition because of the hardware capability to isolate the voice. As well, no one wants to wear a headset if you don't have to. Just getting used to having voice recognition in newer Kinect titles as well as anticipating the new dash with voice search made me want to try out any newer Move/PS Eye titles using voice recognition.

The hardware is the mic array, which is in PSEye too. The array is useful for echo cancellation too, also implemented in XMB.

Agent X

Bebpo, if you have Killzone 3 and Resistance 3, then you would certainly want to use Move with them. Move works extremely well with both of these games.

lucius

I am enjoying playing through Infamous 2 with the Move patch, I like the beginner setting, standard and expert move too fast for me, having no problems taking down enemies, changing weapons, you need the nav controller btw to play it right.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, convinced. Picked up the starter bundle + navigation controller + time crisis 4/5 pack.

Agent X said:
Bebpo, if you have Killzone 3 and Resistance 3, then you would certainly want to use Move with them. Move works extremely well with both of these games.

Yeah, I have both and haven't gotten to them yet. I liked Metroid Prime 3 with Wiimote controls, so maybe I'll prefer the Move controls for them.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
So here at my local store in Japan they had the starter bundles at half-price, which means I got the controller, camera, and Beat Sketch for about 30 bucks. I know I mainly want this thing for shooting games, are there just Time Crisis pack and HotD Overkill? I'm gonna get the little Star Trek phaser thing too.

Infamous 2 has surprisingly good move controls. Like, they improved on the experience because it lets you aim and perform various actions. My only issue is how little they let you customize. A larger deadzone when aiming wold be nice.

well, my other issue is more on the game side. It feels much more like I should be able to aim/shoot without zooming in.

actually it's not that surprising. the best feeling wii pointer games were third person too. I don't think first person games are the best fit for pointer controls.

I was playing Dedmunds Quest demo yesterday and I just realized, that game (and sports champion too I suppose) seemed to work best if your TV is on level with your head isn't it? when I stand up, my head is higher than the TV so I have to look down to see the screen, but after calibration and setup, the game seem to assume that I'm on level with the screen. so when I'm taking out by bow and try to aim, I'm not supposed to aim at what's on screen, but at imaginary empty space relative to my height. for example, when I want to aim up in the game, I have to aim my actual hands up away from the TV and rely on ingame cursor to see where I'm aiming at.

now that I realize it, I think I have same problem the Fight Lights Out, when I want to aim my punch in that game, I can't use what's on my screen to see where I should swing my punch, but look at imaginary people in front of me. I have to imagine where the head actually is, whether I hit higher or lower. I just got this feeling if I buy a wall mount and set up my TV to my heights that would make a much better experience.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Linkzg said:
Infamous 2 has surprisingly good move controls. Like, they improved on the experience because it lets you aim and perform various actions. My only issue is how little they let you customize. A larger deadzone when aiming wold be nice.

well, my other issue is more on the game side. It feels much more like I should be able to aim/shoot without zooming in.

actually it's not that surprising. the best feeling wii pointer games were third person too. I don't think first person games are the best fit for pointer controls.

I think the reason why inFamous 2/FoB are so appreciated with Move is threefold:

1 - It's a game that makes extensive use of the face buttons and having the camera mapped to the wrist allows to access all of them without ever losing control of it. In most FPS the "important" buttons as the shoulder ones, so you don't really benefit from this there.

2 - It has great camera controls. It doesn't do anything really new with camera yaw, but the camera pitch system is genius. I think that makes a huge difference compared to other shooters. This is also the reason why of most of the camera assists in place when using the DS3 are inhibited. You don't need them with Move and would actually result as an annoyance (see SOCOM 4...)

3 - No game breaking tweaking options. Cursor sensitivity and deadzone size are pretty much spot on so you are left with options only affecting camera acceleration/speed.

As for your comment about the larger deadzone when aiming, that would help with keeping the camera steady while shooting but would also negatively affect the tightness of the current camera system.

No, I think a better way to deal with that issue would be to add a camera assist akin to that usually seen in every stick based shooter. Basically have the camera slow down whenever the cursor approaches a target. It does wonders in Resistance 3.

Interestingly, InFamous 2 has this system in place already, but it works only when using the DS3.

Takao

Banned
lobdale said:
So here at my local store in Japan they had the starter bundles at half-price, which means I got the controller, camera, and Beat Sketch for about 30 bucks. I know I mainly want this thing for shooting games, are there just Time Crisis pack and HotD Overkill? I'm gonna get the little Star Trek phaser thing too.

The two Resident Evil Wii games were announced to be getting Move ports.

lucius

I think Infamous 2 is easier with Move once you get use to it, even like taking down the creatures with melee seems easier. Also tried playing it sitting down works fine as long as you calibrate it at the start.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
lucius said:
I think Infamous 2 is easier with Move once you get use to it, even like taking down the creatures with melee seems easier. Also tried playing it sitting down works fine as long as you calibrate it at the start.

Of course it works sitting down. Why did you believe otherwise?

Anyway, I think it's easier too. I was halfway through my second evil run in inFamous 2 on Hard when the patch was released, so I decided to finish it with the Move: it was literally a peace of cake till the end. I recall having a lot of trouble dealing with those monsters moving underground with the DS3. Not so with the Move since you can throw grenades and roll much much faster.

lucius

TTP said:
Of course it works sitting down. Why did you believe otherwise?

Anyway, I think it's easier too. I was halfway through my second evil run in inFamous 2 on Hard when the patch was released, so I decided to finish it with the Move: it was literally a peace of cake till the end. I recall having a lot of trouble dealing with those monsters moving underground with the DS3. Not so with the Move since you can throw grenades and roll much much faster.

For some reason I thought things might be off if you don't stand up, when I owned the wii I just played standing up.

A lot of fun playing it with Move this gives me hope for Bioshock Infinite, I might just play the whole game with Move. I actually think if they wanted to they might be able to get Uncharted to work with it but likely won't happen.

There's a few below the radar move sequels coming up - Eyepet Friends and Start The Party: Save the World. Very few reviews. Unfortunately Eyepet seems to suffer from a lot of the same issues as the first one, anyone tried it yet?

My kids loved Start the Party, so I might get that. Again, mediocre reviews, but if it's more of the same they'll be happy enough.

spats

I'm not really into exercising but after trying the Move Fitness demo I'm so buying that game. All the modes were really fun except for the ball throwing one which I couldn't really get to work properly. Should be out pretty soon if I'm not wrong.

Hanmik

There's a few below the radar move sequels coming up - Eyepet Friends and Start The Party: Save the World. Very few reviews. Unfortunately Eyepet seems to suffer from a lot of the same issues as the first one, anyone tried it yet?

My kids loved Start the Party, so I might get that. Again, mediocre reviews, but if it's more of the same they'll be happy enough.

ohh,... totally forgot about those games... my kids loved EyePet and especially Start the Party.. so I would also love to hear/read some impressions.. but have in mind that the games are for my 2 daughters age 6 and 7.. so do not compare these games to Uncharted 3 or Call of Duty ... please..

Finally upgraded my Living Room to a 3D Projection TV shooting against the wall giving me a 120" screen (Ten foot TV!).

** I booted up Tumble in 3D with Move.

It's REALLY like having a 3D toy box and throwing blocks around since its such a large screen. I think Tumble was sadly overlooked. Its really an engaging game with clean visuals.

I'm really on the fence o picking this up again. I can get a starter bundle (camera and controller) and house of the Dead and Razing Storm for $92.

I've had a Move before, and liked it but there wasn't enough to keep me interested so I traded it in. I'd really only be buying it for HOTD, so is it worth it?

I'm really on the fence o picking this up again. I can get a starter bundle (camera and controller) and house of the Dead and Razing Storm for $92.

I've had a Move before, and liked it but there wasn't enough to keep me interested so I traded it in. I'd really only be buying it for HOTD, so is it worth it?

Well, HotD is just awesome.
Not sure which kind of (upcoming) Move games would interest you, but even if you just want it as a lightgun-substitute, then there's also Dead Space Extraction and that RE Chronicles bundle to look out for. I would advice you to buy some cheap gun case to get closer to that lightgun feeling.

btw I use the Sharpshooter for HotD and even though it's imo nowhere mentioned in the game/manual, HotD uses an adjusted layout for the ss:
Second trigger (=Move button) is for throwing grenades, triangle (on the sides) for changing weapons and the pump-action feature is for reloading.
I've bought the auto-shotgun ingame and pump-action reloading makes this expensive device so worth it muhahaha

Well, HotD is just awesome.
Not sure which kind of (upcoming) Move games would interest you, but even if you just want it as a lightgun-substitute, then there's also Dead Space Extraction and that RE Chronicles bundle to look out for. I would advice you to buy some cheap gun case to get closer to that lightgun feeling.

btw I use the Sharpshooter for HotD and even though it's imo nowhere mentioned in the game/manual, HotD uses an adjusted layout for the ss:
Second trigger (=Move button) is for throwing grenades, triangle (on the sides) for changing weapons and the pump-action feature is for reloading.
I've bought the auto-shotgun ingame and pump-action reloading makes this expensive device so worth it muhahaha

This is all true, HOTD is a game I will go back to again and again in between other game releases. Love going back and trying to get S rank on all levels, getting all the collectibles, etc.

Also agree that the sharpshooter is great for this game. I tried playing with just the controller and it wasn't as much fun. The pump action and trigger make the game better imo. I picked mine up for half off ($20) and it was worth it but I would not pay full price for it. I think it's on sale at a lot of places right now for the holidays.

Vasili2K38

I bought Infamous 2 in a cheap deal, and I've just tried it with Move.. omg, the controls are phenomenal! It feels so good and natural. I wish Sony pushed mandatory Move controls at least in all their first/second party games (I'm looking at you Uncharted 3..). I'm sure that implementing something like Infamous 2 Move controls is not that hard :/

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I bought Infamous 2 in a cheap deal, and I've just tried it with Move.. omg, the controls are phenomenal! It feels so good and natural. I wish Sony pushed mandatory Move controls at least in all their first/second party games (I'm looking at you Uncharted 3..). I'm sure that implementing something like Infamous 2 Move controls is not that hard :/

It's interesting how fast inFamous 2 Move controls seem to click with people. Usually a "try" is not enough to get used to them and yet people seem to get it immediately with inFamous 2.

I guess it's a combination of 3rd person camera being more easily manageable, the small deadzone and the lack of customization options (meaning the controls are set up to optimal values and you can't "break them"). Also, the awesome camera pitch control helps a lot I guess.

Kudos to Sucker Punch really.

Out of curiosity, Vasilisk, have you tried it with default "Standard" camera settings? Have you tried "Expert"?

Carl

Damn right. Recently decided to do evil run through on hard to clear up trophies and get platinum. Hadn't used my Move in a while so gave it a shot with InFamous 2. Holy shit it's just amazing. Sucker Punch did an absolutely fantastic job. It just clicks, and seemed a hell of a lot easier than it ever was with a Dualshock

Raoh

Got inFamous 2 for free from that subway flash game, havent tried it yet. Maybe I should play it with move for the first play through rather than the standard controller.

ohh,... totally forgot about those games... my kids loved EyePet and especially Start the Party.. so I would also love to hear/read some impressions.. but have in mind that the games are for my 2 daughters age 6 and 7.. so do not compare these games to Uncharted 3 or Call of Duty ... please..

You posted this a while ago, but at least EyePet would be a good update for you as with this one your two daughters can play together at the same time. :D

EDIT: reading your article (in Danish, I can read most Scandinavian languages ;) ) now, so you already got it. ;) Did you get it on disc? I think most Move titles these days also come as a PSN download, which might help load-times (PSN version of Move Fitness has almost no load-times at all)

Still reading: for DanceStar Party it's useful to know that you can swap the video with a direct feed of you by pressing the triangle button. This helps immensely with feedback, to see yourself next to the dancer.

You covered most Move stuff out there, missing only Move Fitness. I don't know, honestly, if kids would like that one, but I personally love it. Perhaps pointing out that some of these (may have missed that you did it already) are available from PSN could help too, as there are big advantages not having to use discs, even more so when you have kids. ;)

Hanmik

I got all the games on disc.. The problem with Eyepet & Friends is the way they try to disguise the loading. They use some really crappy looking low res movies of Eyepets flying around on saucers and more, they also lag and stutter all the time. It is really distracting. The first game used your own video feed and the little Eyepet as a background while the toys etc. loaded..

The editor for the website sent me the games for the article.. I did not choose them. ;o) I would have liked to play Move Fitness.. but because the article is more like a Father/Kid article, it didn´t fit in..

I have 7 year old and 4 year old daughters, they love Eyepet Friends. It is basically just like the first game, but you can do everything on screen with 2 eyepets at once. The games, feeding, everything. With 2 kids, it was golden.

Still has some issues where it is hard to pet them, hard to get the sound recognition to work right, but I help the girls out a bit with that. Since it is reading some hand gestures as well as move controller movements, you need really good lighting just like the first game.

My kids also LOVED Start the Party. I didn't even know the sequel was out. I will have to check that out.

Hanmik

I have 7 year old and 4 year old daughters, they love Eyepet Friends. It is basically just like the first game, but you can do everything on screen with 2 eyepets at once. The games, feeding, everything. With 2 kids, it was golden.

Still has some issues where it is hard to pet them, hard to get the sound recognition to work right, but I help the girls out a bit with that. Since it is reading some hand gestures as well as move controller movements, you need really good lighting just like the first game.

My kids also LOVED Start the Party. I didn't even know the sequel was out. I will have to check that out.

I tested both games with my 6 and 7 year old daughters (for the article I mentioned above).. and they loved both. Start The Party and Start The Party - Save the World are good fun for the whole family.. I personally liked the mini games in the first game better, but my kids loved the sequel more. The mini games are not as varied in the second game IMO.

Top Bottom