• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | August 2015

Powwa

Fantasy Hero is up in Europe. Or do you mean there's parts of Europe where it didn't release?

The only other option I can think of is Silent Hill: Book of Memories, which I hear has similar style of gameplay.

You could always try another game with looting. Borderlands or Gundam Breaker for example.

P.S. I think I've said it before in this thread, but Diablo 3 would be a really good choice for a 3PP port.

Yes, unfortunately. I don't know why they release their games so randomly but my store doesn't have them.

Tried Borderlands but it's not my cup of tea. I don't think Vita could handle Diablo 3, Torchlight would be cool but that's not happening.

Strange question, but does anyone know if Gamebyro (the engine) is supported on Vita?

I was looking through a list of games made in it - Epic Mickey 2 & Unfinished Swan are on there, but I wasn't sure whether they just ported engines for those games.

bobohoro

Given prior performance I can definitely wait for Danganronpa to go on sale. Both of the previous titles did not take long at all to reach my price threshold.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna wait for the -50% as well. Still have ToHR to finish (or drop), Steins;Gate to go through and Oreshika on the backburner. And my PS4 is packed until the end of the year as well.

Tizoc

MGS5?
Mad Max?
Pfffst
September is all about dem DESPAIRGIRLZ
dh4b.gif

Once I get around to playing it

MGSV and DR will be fine releasing on the same day, different audiences, different systems, yadayada. But Mad Max? Man I feel bad for those guys. Really bad timing. Pretty sure it'll bomb.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
MGSV and DR will be fine releasing on the same day, different audiences, different systems, yadayada. But Mad Max? Man I feel bad for those guys. Really bad timing. Pretty sure it'll bomb.

Its not even the same type of audience.

As I said in a different thread.

MGS isnt for the "light gamers" its more geared towards those who have stuck with the series or at least have a good amount of the titles under their belt.

Mad Max is made for those who are fans of the series or newly made fans from the latest movie.

Honestly its two totally different markets.

Though in regards to in store advertising for example can see MGS taking the spotlight over Mad Max just because.

Although I agree with that, I still think it's a very bad time to put this game out. With Destiny coming in 2 weeks, both core and "light" gamers are all gonna jump on that. But to be fair I can't think of any other time to do it. The next few months are so crammed.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Although I agree with that, I still think it's a very bad time to put this game out. With Destiny coming in 2 weeks, both core and "light" gamers are all gonna jump on that. But to be fair I can't think of any other time to do it. The next few months are so crammed.

Mixing up genres again. Destiny folks are just going to be focusing on Destiny anyways. So its not like that really changes anything. Destiny is a MP centric title, where as Mad Max is a SP experience.

Not to mention these companies have a pretty good idea of whats out there and the kind of numbers pulled in broken down by date and whatnots. All of these things were scheduled way in advance so its not like they go pulling these dates out of their asses.

Its just happens to be a busy "end of the year".

Now if the movie was shitty and people didnt really care about the name "Mad Max" then yeah things would be a bit different.

Massa

It's not two totally different markets, they're both targetting the same 15-30 male core gamer. Of course both will have some appeal with a specific audience (MGS with previous fans, Mad Max with fans of the movie) but there's a large enough cross over.

N° 2048

That whole different audiences thing is touchy. I stand by that releasing too many games at once is not good. It will impact sales regardless. More options means less chance of buying for consumers regardless of genres

So long as the options are there. Some people will look twice.

I was planning on getting Mad Max. But then I realized that I start the month with Danganronpa. Then two weeks later, the Destiny expansion. Then another week later, P4D which I am not too upset about the price anymore, since I forgot that I got the 30% off during E3 on it. I am totally skipping MGSV, and Mad Max even though I was looking forward to them simply because I know I won't have time to play an open world game, with everything else that's out PLUS school, work and life lol. This is where I stand right now.

N° 2048

I was planning on getting Mad Max. But then I realized that I start the month with Danganronpa. Then two weeks later, the Destiny expansion. Then another week later, P4D which I am not too upset about the price anymore, since I forgot that I got the 30% off during E3 on it. I am totally skipping MGSV, and Mad Max even though I was looking forward to them simply because I know I won't have time to play an open world game, with everything else that's out PLUS school, work and life lol. This is where I stand right now.

At this rate with all these games, who has time to stand?

Lame joke, I know.

autoduelist

That whole different audiences thing is touchy. I stand by that releasing too many games at once is not good. It will impact sales regardless. More options means less chance of buying for consumers regardless of genres

You're not wrong, but the idea is that getting a smaller piece of a bigger market is potentially better than releasing in a dead season. As we all know, consumers have seasonal buying habits with games -- that is, they sell better at certain times of the year than others. With niche games, a developer has some leeway to release 'whenever', knowing it's niche will seek it out and buy it... but a lot of games simply have to bite the bullet and go up against the competition in a heavy release season because releasing in a dead season is just as much, if not more, risk.

Then there are basic financial concerns; your game may have taken 6 months longer than expected to get out the door, but that doesn't mean you can sit on it for 6 months while you're waiting for the right time to release. Your carefully crafted plans to release in March now have you releasing in, say, November. Besides, even if you plan for some 'dead' season, there's always the chance some other game can steal your thunder.

With something like Mad Max, I'm sure the release is tied in with the bluray release. Do they wish MGS was releasing some other time? Sure. But... ultimately I think I agree with others... MGS is selling to a very specific [if large] market, whereas Mad Max is the type of game people will just pick up because it's Mad Max and they liked the movie. If my wife were the type of person that randomly bought me games, she'd buy me Mad Max.

As it is, it's my birthday this week and I know it won't be under my birthday tree because she doesn't buy me games.

Yeah it was the same argument for Tearway releasing when COD and Xbox One launched. Look how well that went where they now need to recoup with a PS4 remaster.

I really hope DR AE does really well.

Chuy

Serious suggestion or sarcaatic? Hear mixed things about it.

Maybe The Order 1866? If either of those titles are more than $20, dont bite.
Noted. I'll probably get it when I can find it cheap.

Second Son/AC4/Watch Dogs.
Great suggestions.

It's not 20 dollars but if you haven't got it yet, just get Bloodborne. Get it later.

For games around 20 dollars let's see, from Amazon.com:
Destiny is 19$, you'll either love or hate it but definitely worth purchase at that price.
The Evil Within is 20$, personally I liked it but seems to share opinions, if you liked RE4 you'll like it I think.
Metro Redux is 20$, great story-FPS games, recommended.

Lots of other games for that price there too, I haven't played these myself but might be something worth checking out: Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Assassins Creed IV/Unity, Watch_Dogs and Far Cry 4.
Yeah I plan on getting bloodbourne eventually despite never playing soul series before.
Nice suggestions though but I already own Destiny on ps4 and can't play it because of lack of Internet.

Wolfenstein, no doubt.

Far Cry 4 is pretty darn good too, but I had a bit of 'more of the same' feeling of Far Cry 3, for better or worse.

Infamous SS is worth checking out.

The Order is worth checking out. I enjoyed it, but some hate it.

But overall? Wolfenstein. What a fun fps.

For racing, NFS Rivals is fun too. and better offline, at least at first.
Great suggestions I'll definitely look into these as well as the other ones suggested. Thanks guys.

VLiberty

Back to bed looks cool. Is there a reason it costs 12,50€ more than the Steam version, though? More levels or stuff like that?

Seems like Galak-Z can be made for mobile, but not for Vita...

Maybe it runs on super high end devices only

Otherwise, yeah, I'm calling bullshit.

regarding late/canceled Vita ports, we're gonna hear more about Bastion during PAX Prime and the game is definitely coming by year's end accoring to devs, so yeah maybe there's some glimmer of hope to see Axiom Verge in a reasonable timeframe

Back to bed looks cool. Is there a reason it costs 12,50€ more than the Steam version, though? More levels or stuff like that?

Maybe it runs on super high end devices only

Otherwise, yeah, I'm calling bullshit.

regarding late/canceled Vita ports, we're gonna hear more about Bastion during PAX Prime and the game is definitely coming by year's end accoring to devs, so yeah maybe there's some glimmer of hope to see Axiom Verge in a reasonable timeframe

That is great news!

Do you know anything about the banner saga, darkest dungeon, salt & sanctuary, new and tasty, to leave, liege, bro force, space hulk, ronin, pavilion or cosmic star heroine?

VLiberty

New n Tasty was playable in June and there's some footage around the web. Wii U version is out "soon" while Vita version is "soon but not as soon as Wii u version" which...well...doesn't really mean a lot.
Don't know about the others, sorry.

edit: btw I just checked and the Steam page says that Back to Bed features 30 levels. A PS review also said that it features 30 levels.

5,49€ vs 17,99€ for basically the same game is crazy. That's more than 3x the price

kevin1025

Banned
I'm spending most of tomorrow stuck in a car, so I finally loaded up Danganronpa onto my Vita. I will see you all on the other side!

Davide

Finally managed to get a ps4 but I hilariously can't download my ps4 games I own digitally since I won't have Internet for week while I switch Internet providers. Any recommendations for retail games I can find around $20 for ps4?
Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Far Cry 4, Alien: Isolation, and The Order if you can find it for ~$20. Other $20 games inFAMOUS and Watch Dogs are not very good.

I think that Tokyo Twilight Ghosthunters, FS tactics and Natural Doctrine are some of the best Vita games out there (subjective opinion ), am I in for a treat with Lost Dimension?

bobohoro

I finally finished Tales Of Hearts R. Somewhat good and interesting beginning, second half is a total snoozefest, both in terms of story and gameplay. Not recommended.

Next is Oreshika, which already looks and sounds (that opening) pretty lovely.

autoduelist

I think that Tokyo Twilight Ghosthunters, FS tactics and Natural Doctrine are some of the best Vita games out there (subjective opinion ), am I in for a treat with Lost Dimension?

I'm curious about the same, but I don't know that we'd get a solid answer anywhere. Though now I know I need to eventually pick up TTG. From what I've read, LD seems like it's worthwhile for our tastes... the biggest issue I seem to have read is that some in game dialog ends up feeling 'generic' because they need to be able to shift the guilty party every playthrough so some dialog needs to be relatively sterile to make it work [which makes sense and doesn't affect me whatsoever]. Gameplay looks interesting overall.

You should pick up Breach & Clear next time it goes on sale. It's a budget feeling FS Tactics, but it makes up for some budget mechanics with tons of content (7 distinct environments x 5 maps each x 3 different mission types) and a nice 'realistic' feel and character stat building that somehow adds to the fun factor enough to make it worth it imo. Some janky mechanics [like no way to sync waypoints between your units], but the mechanics are constant so once you adapt to them it's okay [for example, standing -in- a doorway is actually fantastic cover since you get full cover from all angles except straight on].

Currently playing that (trophy for all possible stars) and DT2.

Lost Dimension is a really mediocre game even if its low budgetness doesn't bother you. The writing is subpar and structured really poorly as you get very little story at all during a first playthrough. The combat is serviceable, but the game is really easy outside of the unlocked final boss and some of the dlc missions. The traitor mechanic is only really novel for a floor or two and then becomes rote, especially given how you have to go through the game multiple times to see a real ending. Tokyo Twilight was a much better game all-around.

I'm curious about the same, but I don't know that we'd get a solid answer anywhere. Though now I know I need to eventually pick up TTG. From what I've read, LD seems like it's worthwhile for our tastes... the biggest issue I seem to have read is that some in game dialog ends up feeling 'generic' because they need to be able to shift the guilty party every playthrough so some dialog needs to be relatively sterile to make it work [which makes sense and doesn't affect me whatsoever]. Gameplay looks interesting overall.

You should pick up Breach & Clear next time it goes on sale. It's a budget feeling FS Tactics, but it makes up for some budget mechanics with tons of content (7 distinct environments x 5 maps each x 3 different mission types) and a nice 'realistic' feel and character stat building that somehow adds to the fun factor enough to make it worth it.

Currently playing that (trophy for all possible stars) and DT2.

If I remember correctly you don't like VNs so it might feel a little simplistic if you're buying it for the gameplay alone.

I have looked at B&C but the theme of the game is a little hard for me to digest (Im no fan of military games).

data

Uh, they just released the Crunchyroll app for the vita in Europe.

E: Is anybody else able to log into PSN? It won't open the store for me on the vita but it will load on the desktop version but everytime I log in it shows me my avatar for a second then gives me an error and tells me to contact customer support if the problem keeps appearing

autoduelist

If I remember correctly you don't like VNs so it might feel a little simplistic if you're buying it for the gameplay alone.

I have looked at B&C but the theme of the game is a little hard for me to digest (Im no fan of military games).

Yeah, I don't like VNs. I do like the 'look' of the combat, but I simply haven't researched it enough to know if it's my thing. I had it preordered but cancelled since it was between Operation Abyss and DT2.

Ah, if you don't like military you won't like B&C I guess.... that's the draw, in a way... a military version of something along the lines of frozen synapse [which is also military-ish, just abstracted]. I process all that stuff as 'skins'... it could be animals or aliens or cowboys or anime teens, so whichever the dev settled on doesn't really affect me.

Chuy

Having some trouble with upgrading my ps4 hard drive: Ps4 won't recognize the USB update file. I do have the directories set up as E:/PS4/UPDATE/PS4UPDATE.PUP
Suggestions?
EDIT: May have downloaded the wrong update file. I'll try again tomorrow when I have Internet access

TsuWave

going for a weekend trip tomorrow and decided to dust off my vita and take it along with me, went into the store and i'm really tempted to pick up helldivers, looks fun and had great reviews but i can't help shaking the feeling that it will soon be on instant game collection

Top Bottom