• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Now Subscribers, do you like it???

I believe its $19 a month and $45 for 3? Seems like a good deal and I see quite a few games I wouldn't mind playing through.

Main concern is streaming quality. Will I know I'm streaming or think I own the disc? I have a 60 mb connection. Thanks for the replies.

wipeout364

It’s ok I renewed it when they had the 100 dollars for a year. The image quality is worse than what you had on PS3 and the input lag is variable. I have never played street fighter on it but resistance 3 campaign was fine. Like Netflix image quality will change depending on your connection. I honestly don’t think it’s worth 20 dollars a month but 10 is about right. So much of it depends on if you want to play PlayStation 3 games at worse quality then picking up used copies. The PC Client doesn’t work well at all for me either which is another kick in the nuts.

CRAIG667

It was unplayable for me on the various games I tried (UK 30mb connection)

I am very sensitive to any input lag though, some people wouldn’t mind, I’m sure.

Also certain are not dependent on that side of things so I’d say it’s worth trying out for one month and see how it is for you.

philm87

I played one of the Uncharted games through when they were doing the beta in the UK and thought it was pretty good. Not too much lag on a 50mb connection, but certainly noticeable. Think it's handy for maybe a short term subscription if there's a certain game you really want to play that you've missed, like I'm going to probably play Red Dead Redemption before the sequel comes out. Certain games I'd avoid because of the lag.

jf DOOM

I've used it twice and have had no problems on my PS4 or Vita. I'm trying to save some money for a house, and I may grab a month at the beginning of the year to get through some games for cheap.

Toe-Knee

I believe its $19 a month and $45 for 3? Seems like a good deal and I see quite a few games I wouldn't mind playing through.

Main concern is streaming quality. Will I know I'm streaming or think I own the disc? I have a 60 mb connection. Thanks for the replies.

I have a 100/6 connection now and it's flawless. I used to have 50/3 and there's no noticeable difference imho.

It's mostly similar to playing on a PS3 so much so that I packed my 60gb PS3 away.

Kinda annoyed though as I did that due to the app being on my TV they've since removed it.

autoduelist

I've sampled it. I thought it was great, but I played mostly games that weren't super precision dependent. I had no real issues - honestly, like Remote Play, it felt like magic.

Klart

During the BETA it worked great for me, but I still use my PS3, so for now, I won't be paying for it.

I planned to do an LTTP for PlayStation Now a couple of months ago but never did. I did do an LTTP of a game I played through entirely with it, so here's my experience:

I found it works really well for either slower-paced titles, games with distinctive (non realistic) art styles or 60fps games, or a combination of the above.

I tried a number of games but eventually used my subscription to play through the entirety of Atelier Ayesha, which is a game with an unlocked framerate and 60fps menus. I found the experience very good - 99% of the time I forgot I wasn't playing it natively on a PS3. The ability to log into PS Now using a desktop or laptop is also incredibly useful.

I tried other games: Sonic Generations was a disaster due to the 30fps and extra input lag. Daytona USA looked good at 60fps, but you could feel the extra latency. Still playable though.

Video quality was mostly fine. Grittier looking games like Motorstorm Apocalypse fared less well, but Daytona, Atelier, Gravity Rush Remastered all looked good enough, and the PS3 games were close enough to their original 720p native equivalents.

I'd recommend it if there are games on there that you want to play through and if PS Now is way more convenient than setting up your old PS3. The issues I had with it were with the poor content discovery (the actual app is fine, a mirrored experience on PS4 and PC) and the region-specific content offerings. For example, Tales of RPGs are available in America but not Europe for some reason. The official website for PS Now doesn't even list all available games either.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I've used it twice and have had no problems on my PS4 or Vita. I'm trying to save some money for a house, and I may grab a month at the beginning of the year to get through some games for cheap.

I thought they ditched the vita app or am I misremembering?

Unknown?

I tried it a long time ago on my Vita when you could rent individual games and worked amazing! Haven’t tried it since but I believe they have a free 7 day trial if you want to sample it for yourself.

I thought they ditched the vita app or am I misremembering?

Vita app is indeed dead.

Having used remote play on Vita though I think it's better off on laptops or large tablets anyway - console game interfaces don't scale well to a 5" screen and end up feeling like difficult eye tests.

I already have trouble reading the text in DOOM on the Switch and its screen area is significantly larger than a Vita's.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Amazon normally has a year for $100...I love it, except this last update, which was filled with indies. Normally I am not against indies, but all of them that were added have been free games for ps plus members over the last year, so it was as good as no update at all. Overall, it is well worth it, especially if you splurge and get the whole year (cheaper than Netflix).

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
PS Now is something that's great to dip in and out of every now and then, but I don't use it enough to justify a continuous subscription. Quality of the service is top notch though. Runs flawlessly for me and they've done a really good job improving the amount of content available. A far cry from the barebones library it launched with.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try a month and see how I like it. Don't have a PS3 anymore and wanted to play GOW Ascension and Asura's Wrath. And there were a ton of other games that caught my attention.

Schnauzer

I have 1GB Fiber. I noticed no detail loss/change for flat games. It's a good value.

I still need a PS3 for 3D games like Wipeout which nothing compares to. 3D was grayed out the last time I checked.

schaft0620

I have 1GB Fiber. I noticed no detail loss/change for flat games. It's a good value.

I still need a PS3 for 3D games like Wipeout which nothing compares to. 3D was grayed out the last time I checked.

Latency issues have been a game by game basis on Sony's end.

Minyobi

If you have a rather strong connection, then PS Now runs pretty well.
There are some precision based games that don't feel right to me (Ninja Gaiden series), but the vast majority of what is available is very playable.

PS Now is something that's great to dip in and out of every now and then, but I don't use it enough to justify a continuous subscription. Quality of the service is top notch though. Runs flawlessly for me and they've done a really good job improving the amount of content available. A far cry from the barebones library it launched with.

I think this sums it up well. I was delighted by the library offerings (though less so that some games like NieR and 'Tales of' are region specific), but I can't justify buying a monthly subscription for it.

If you could buy time on the service (e.g. add one more day to your sub) that would be so much better for me than the all-you-can-eat model being the only option.

Aztorian

I was able to try it out for a month to give feedback just before they introduced ps4 games to Now.

It worked perfectly, and that kind of surprised me to be honest. I was expecting input lagg and streaming issues. I also was surprised that all the multiplayer functions were working too.

I played with a 250MB/s connection.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Vita app is indeed dead.

Having used remote play on Vita though I think it's better off on laptops or large tablets anyway - console game interfaces don't scale well to a 5" screen and end up feeling like difficult eye tests.

I already have trouble reading the text in DOOM on the Switch and its screen area is significantly larger than a Vita's.

Thought I had read it. I too have a vita, but the remote play didn't impress me since the trigger buttons are missing. The touch screen doesn't L1 / R1 or L2 / R2 doesn't cut it for me.

Thought I had read it. I too have a vita, but the remote play didn't impress me since the trigger buttons are missing. The touch screen doesn't L1 / R1 or L2 / R2 doesn't cut it for me.

That too. I only used it with turn-based role playing games that didn't use the extra triggers (though some use click stick to sprint) and it just about worked, but the tiny text from the TV interfaces shrunk to 5" were really hard on the eyes.

Proofmaster

Neo Member
Playing it for some time now. 50 Mbps connection on PS 4 and it's smooth as hell. Even the PS 4 games that were laggy in the past few months. Seems like they fixed something but not sure what.

If you didn't play the PS4 exclusives the service is well worth your money.

Hellshy.

My ps3 died awhile back when I was playing ni no kuni. Decided to give psnow another try after having some issues during beta and I have to say it works great now. Transferred my old ni no kuni save from ps+ cloud to ps noe and picked up right where I left off. I get some brief slow down when I havnt touch the controller in a minute or so but that's really it.

Darko

It works for games like lego star wars.. hot shots golf... but uncharted not so much, damn near unplayble.

It’s so bad. I honestly believe that anyone who says it’s ok is lying to themselves. With my 100 down and 60 up connection, the movement in Ninja Gaiden Black was like running through molasses. That and the pricing model is rediculous for what would be very cheap used games.

It’s so bad. I honestly believe that anyone who says it’s ok is lying to themselves. With my 100 down and 60 up connection, the movement in Ninja Gaiden Black was like running through molasses. That and the pricing model is rediculous for what would be very cheap used games.

It’s definitely way too expensive

Top Bottom