• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus update: Sony planning big changes

Kssio_Aug

All I want is to change my name and less downtime.

I don't understand why Sony, till this date, haven't allowed us any way to change both ID and Region from our accounts. This is extremely stupid and doesn't really inspire too much confidency in the account "stability".

Well... at least their online system is not worse than Nintendo's (that would be impossible).

sublimit

Banned
OP should be updated but there is official source on the first page.

tumblr_l9qoj2jEhY1qzzud0.gif~c200

HoodWinked

i dont know why they'd try to push for more value it wont add users to the service the only thing that makes people subscribe is it's mandatory nature for online play.

playstation plus and xbox live subscriptions should be just looked at internally similarly to car insurance just something that people fork over just to operate the thing they own.

I recently turned off auto-renewal on my Plus sub since the only game I play online at the moment is FFXIV and I don't need Plus for that and I haven't really enjoyed the Plus monthly games for some time now.

Honestly I'd be ok with them dropping PS3 and Vita support. That's just me though.

I hope they bring something along like GCU or Prime discounts for plus users to drive more digital sales, but we need a refund/trade in policy first.

I'd also like to see a speed increase or at least more consistent speeds across-the-board​.

Any chance they meant to say content for TLOU2, like BTS videos of the game's development? For some reason when I read the OP I didn't take it to mean the game itself.

The article posted doesn't say anything about big changes. Just the current lineup and that there will be a lineup for June. Is this just one of them filler articles with no substance?

Kssio_Aug

i dont know why they'd try to push for more value it wont add users to the service the only thing that makes people subscribe is it's mandatory nature for online play.

playstation plus and xbox live subscriptions should be just looked at internally similarly to car insurance just something that people fork over just to operate the thing they own.

After PS3 providing free online service is hard for Sony to justify the paid service now, specially cause there isn't apparently any known relevant improvement. To pay for XBL wasn't very good either, but at least MS could justify it with the quality of their online service.

Nowadays though, after PS3 started giving "free" games with PS+ subscription, Sony couldn't just drop it and tell people that now they need to pay to play online, it would be spinning completely the original purpose and fucking everyone's expectations.

After all the backlash after E3 2013 that MS received, they changed their XBL politics to fit "free" games too, probably intending to partially redeem themselves, and now they're equally stuck with it (but at least offering much more value).

I'm pretty sure Sony would drop every benefit the service offers nowadays and straight up ask people to play online if it wasn't so iminent the backslash they would suffer opting for it.

GLAMr

I don't understand why Sony, till this date, haven't allowed us any way to change both ID and Region from our accounts. This is extremely stupid and doesn't really inspire too much confidency in the account "stability".
I heard somewhere that the account name you nominate is also the primary key for your account in a table in their database (which is a huge Database 101 no-no), which complicates the matter. There are of course solutions to the issue. However, they would surely have hundreds of millions of records to deal with, which would make the exercise costly.

TsuWave

why are people asking for id change in a playstation plus thread? also, i always hear people saying "i wanna change my id because years have passed and it doesn't represent who xxx180sniperxxx doesn't represent who i am anymore" dude, its just a psn name, not a peek into your life, what you gonna change it to anyway xxxmatureguyxxx?

"id change" should be bottom of the list of things sony should do to improve their service offerings imo

KingV

I heard somewhere that the account name you nominate is also the primary key for your account in a table in their database (which is a huge Database 101 no-no), which complicates the matter. There are of course solutions to the issue. However, they would surely have hundreds of millions of records to deal with, which would make the exercise costly.

Sure it's expensive to tokenize their current primary key, but how expensive is it really?

A couple hundred thousand, maybe a million tops? Sure that's a lot of money but PlayStation is also a really big business.

Nesther

Yeah. They should do that. Why aren't they doing that???

Because it'd be a huge headache. You can't just give a chunk of players PS Now and exclude others based on their region. They occasionally have that issue with certain games in the PS Plus lineup, but those are exceptions and always remedied by offering replacement games. Having to come up with alternatives to PS Now every month would be chaos. Give them extra games instead of PS Now? Then the people who don't care about PS Now would complain that they're getting less games.

I hope they announce that they're cutting back PS3/Vita games and increasing PS4 games. Even though it's kind of already been like that with all the cross-buy games.

GLAMr

Sure it's expensive to tokenize their current primary key, but how expensive is it really?

A couple hundred thousand, maybe a million tops? Sure that's a lot of money but PlayStation is also a really big business.
You're leaving out the part where they run the change on their prod environment with out having tested it properly, so PSN goes down for 3 days while they roll everything back :D

You're not wrong though; it's doable and affordable for Sony. Hell, they could charge a couple of bucks for name changes to keep the shareholders happy.

There is no way Knack doesn't come to PS+ between now and the Knack 2 launch.

But they actually want people to buy Knack 2

Please drop Vita/PS3 and start giving PS4 users better value for their money.

They know what systems have the most subscribers actively playing. Resources should be going towards those systems. The problem is that in the PS4, PS+ is mandatory for online gaming so there isn't much incentive on their part but on the PS3 and Vita, they need to provide good content to get people to subscribe.

I need that game save storage space increased substantially. Name changes would be cool even though I don't want to change mine, but beyond those and better free games offerings I'd like to see the service expanded with OS features too.

It would be cool if we could gift games to other accounts as well.

Wood Man

Because it'd be a huge headache. You can't just give a chunk of players PS Now and exclude others based on their region. They occasionally have that issue with certain games in the PS Plus lineup, but those are exceptions and always remedied by offering replacement games. Having to come up with alternatives to PS Now every month would be chaos. Give them extra games instead of PS Now? Then the people who don't care about PS Now would complain that they're getting less games.

I didn't know about the region thing. So I guess PSNow isn't happening.

Oersted

PS4 fans are in for a treat in 2017, with exclusive games that include The Last of Us 2, Gran Turismo Sport, Horizon Zero Dawn and more.

OP, why did you copypaste the teasertext for a unrelated image gallery?

arcticice

Just to add to people's knowledge. Express.co.uk has been known to write fake articles.

they also have that special Bloodborne 2 and Dark Souls 4 article :D

Top Bottom