• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store 06/12/12 - Babel Rising (Move) | Gravity Rush (Vita)

AwRy108

Hey all,

Quick update. According to the ops team, the best case scenario is around 8pm PST tonight for today's update. The team is working to ensure this is a rare scenario, but thanks for your patience. I'm trying to get my hands on Gravity Rush and MGS myself, and I know the wait isn't making it easy.

I have zero faith in the PSN team at this point, which is why I've had my physical copy of Gravity Rush for hours now.

You guys are really doing a huge disservice to the Vita, especially by letting this delay happen on its biggest day since launch.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hey all,

Quick update. According to the ops team, the best case scenario is around 8pm PST tonight for today's update. The team is working to ensure this is a rare scenario, but thanks for your patience. I'm trying to get my hands on Gravity Rush and MGS myself, and I know the wait isn't making it easy.

Yikes, I think I can go to bed then. (3 am here)

Which gets me thinking, someone updating this every week via Twitter would be super handy. "Not before 8pm PST for today" or whatever. Way better to plan how to go about waiting for the store udpdate.

Hey all,

que?
11pm edt?
Wow.

Takao

Banned
I hope you guys extend the Gravity Rush PSN DLC buyer thing because that was supposed to last a week from today, and well, for a huge chunk of your market they'll get the update tomorrow.

What I really don't understand is how the new releases are not released earlier in the day. I have both MGS and Gravity Rush already but I still find it ridiculous that Sony cannot do this for their own games and yet allow users to download services such as Battlefield Premium a day ahead.

Oni Jazar

Thanks for the update.

cC81d.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I hope you guys extend the Gravity Rush PSN DLC buyer thing because that was supposed to last a week from today, and well, for a huge chunk of your market they'll get the update tomorrow.

?

Hey all,

Microsoft and Nintendo get this stuff right. What are you guys doing differently?

Hey all,

I appreciate that you're trying to be communicative, but I think people would be better able to handle these issues if you explained in greater detail the process behind updating the store and the problems with it that seem to continuously arise. Right now it is difficult to fathom a good reason for the failure to get the updates out at a regular time.

DMeisterJ

Banned
As I've always stated, I wouldn't care what time it updated (though early afternoon is good) as long as it was consistent. Aside from the last two months or so, it's never consistent. Some how XBL and Steam can do it, but PSN can't.

Ridic.

Hey all,

I still dont understand why there cannot be a store update at a consistent time every week. We have had about 3 consistent weeks straight, then "WOAH FREAKING PS VITA GAMES ARE COMING OUT, 2 WHOLE FREAKING VITA GAMES!" and PSN freaks out and the update gets delayed by like 6 hours.

Toma

If you buy Gravity Rush on PSN between June 12 (lol) through June 19 you get the preorder DLC for free.

Ah neat. What is it and what would the normal cost be?

Carl

And apparently SCEJ.

People often suggest Sony should take the firmware development out from Japan. Based on the networked service performance of SCEA I'd only fear how things would become.

We'd be getting the "background download" firmware now!

This will be the first and only time I buy a release on PSN instead of retail.

Was hoping to play GR today, but at 11 PM and probably an hour or two to download, that's probably not going to happen.

I appreciate that you're trying to be communicative, but I think people would be better able to handle these issues if you explained in greater detail the process behind updating the store and the problems with it that seem to continuously arise. Right now it is difficult to fathom a good reason for the failure to get the updates out at a regular time.

unfortunately, it is easy to fathom. it's just that the conclusion doesn't reflect well on the staff involved...

One day we will find out the dirt that Grace Chen has on everyone at Sony. She does what she wants, when she wants, how she wants, and does it completely differently the next week.

One day Grace, one day.......................

I always assumed this content was loaded days earlier and they just activated the pages/files at a set time. Why are they loading, programming etc on the day content is set to launch? That just seems dumb.

Nightz

I always assumed this content was loaded days earlier and they just activated the pages/files at a set time. Why are they loading, programming etc on the day content is set to launch? That just seems dumb.

I don't think they're smart enough to do something that makes sense.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This is my thinking as well. Why wouldn't this stuff be loaded and ready to go prior to?
Every other region must do this because they update like clockwork.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Sony, herald of the DD future.

This is embarrassing. If I lived on the East Coast, I would be livid.

Seriously, who is there right mind could wait until day 2 to buy a video game? Everyone knock over a magazine rack!

boingball

I am not sure why someone would think that SCEA is interested in the success of the Vita? The E3 press conference showed that SCEA could not care less for the Vita. So today is just another day in the office for the PSN Store team. The Vita games come in not as something important but more as a surprise and throw a wrench into the well oiled machine that the weekly PSN store update is.

In any case, thanks to GCT we have another exciting PSN store thread. The threads had become a little bit boring.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
On one hand, excessive griping about a variability of a few hours to a day can be over the top.

On the other hand, it does make SCEA look incompetent and incoherent. It does inconvenience the end users a bit too much.

The frustration is understandable in that, downloading bigger digital products isn't instantaneous. Bigger games on PSN can take most of a day for many users. That goes for bigger Vita games too.

Most people's time isn't disposable. Adults who play games usually have to budget and juggle their time if they're devoted to the hobby. So, for example, the fact that XBL updates like clockwork at pre-dawn hours on the same day each week, does allow folks to schedule stuff. Going to download a big game? No problem, set it up before you go to work. It'll be there when you get home.

Totally random update times screw with the end user's ability to make their purchases and get going. For a lot of folks, the frustrating SCEA digital management can result in them actually getting to use said digital downloads near the end of the week, not just a bit later on Tuesday.

These are entertainment products and people would like to get their goods when it's convenient for them. Dicking about with the customer's time is how you lose customers.

Takao

Banned
I am not sure why someone would think that SCEA is interested in the success of the Vita? The E3 press conference showed that SCEA could not care less for the Vita. So today is just another day in the office for the PSN Store team. The Vita games come in not as something important but more as a surprise and throw a wrench into the well oiled machine that the weekly PSN store update is.

In any case, thanks to GCT we have another exciting PSN store thread. The threads had become a little bit boring.

i'm not the only one who believes in the SCEA sabotage theory hmmm

Agent X

Hey all,

Thanks for keeping us posted, mochuuu, but if you don't mind me asking, could you shed some light on the reasons why the PlayStation Store update is so late today?

As others have indicated in posts above, many other online marketplaces (including Nintendo, Microsoft, and even other Sony regions) have the ability to adhere to a regular, consistent schedule. Is there a reason why SCEA does not also do this?

AwRy108

On one hand, excessive griping about a variability of a few hours to a day can be over the top.

On the other hand, it does make SCEA look incompetent and incoherent. It does inconvenience the end users a bit too much.

The frustration is understandable in that, downloading bigger digital products isn't instantaneous. Bigger games on PSN can take most of a day for many users. That goes for bigger Vita games too.

Most people's time isn't disposable. Adults who play games usually have to budget and juggle their time if they're devoted to the hobby. So, for example, the fact that XBL updates like clockwork at pre-dawn hours on the same day each week, does allow folks to schedule stuff. Going to download a big game? No problem, set it up before you go to work. It'll be there when you get home.

Totally random update times screw with the end user's ability to make their purchases and get going. For a lot of folks, the frustrating SCEA digital management can result in them actually getting to use said digital downloads near the end of the week, not just a bit later on Tuesday.

These are entertainment products and people would like to get their goods when it's convenient for them. Dicking about with the customer's time is how you lose customers.

This. People who are interested in getting their content only via digital distribution will put up with these delays a few times, then move on to a product/brand that gets it right the first time.

As someone who got a PS3 shortly after launch (and a Vita on launch day) I'm used to Sony handling PSN updates poorly, so I've just opted not to rely on the service; but I can certainly understand why other people are less tolerant of all the delays.

Sony doesn't want to succeed anymore. They just don't. I get that now.

It is beyond baffling at this point how inept they are at something the competitor gets right with relative ease.

Synless

Hey all,

This is not rare, maybe rare for the last year or two, but over the life of PSN, it's happened a bit.

Top Bottom