• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 07/23/09 – Shatter

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
To answer the demo question, I can confirm there won't be a demo at launch. There are a couple of business reasons for this that I won't go into.

We understand that some people won't buy the game without a demo, and we intend to put one out down the track. In the mean time, we have various movies and trailers in production to take much closer looks at the game for those on the fence.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mario said:
We understand that some people won't buy the game without a demo, and we intend to put one out down the track. In the mean time, we have various movies and trailers in production to take much closer looks at the game for those on the fence.

I just hope you guys are working on it so it isn't... like... six months down the line. Please have it out soon, is all I'm asking. :lol

lupinko

Even though I'm horrible at WipEout, I will buy the DLC.

Killzone 2, I'm not going to rush, since I bought the two previous map packs and I can't bring myself back to play its thrillness. ='(

Then again, in general I'm kinda done with fps.

Singstar songs depend on what's out.

El-Suave

TheSeks said:
And since "Shatter" has little to no word-of-mouth (besides in this thread), a demo would REALLY help it's selling point.

I guess reviews from major sites will hit in time with the release - and those should hopefully be positive enough to educate people beyond GAF. If Sidhe knows the scores already they could even incorporate those into a trailer to get people who don't read the sites.
I don't deny that a demo would be good to reach even more people though, but if it's coming down the line, it'll still be OK since unaware people aren't as hype driven as we are (which is positive and negative I guess).

BeeDog

Ugh, my OCD will take over this week, will probably buy Shatter, the KZ2 DLC, the WipEout HD Fury Pack, The Last Guy + DLC Missions and Trash Panic. Hold me :'(

Manticore said:
Can I play a PSone game (bought from US store) on my PAL PS3? or they are region locked?

I bought FFVII and MGS from the US store and I can play them on my PAL PS3 (through HDTV) just fine. I don't know how playing on SDTV will perform though.

BeeDog said:
Ugh, my OCD will take over this week, will probably buy Shatter, the KZ2 DLC, the WipEout HD Fury Pack, The Last Guy + DLC Missions and Trash Panic. Hold me :'(

wow, wtf financial crisis incoming!

# of people who will drop $8 to check out a new shooter, but might not bother if they tried the demo > # of people who won't buy the game because there's no demo

That's the maths.

I'm in the first camp BTW.

Darkpen

Banned
inpHilltr8r said:
# of people who will drop $8 to check out a new shooter, but might not bother if they tried the demo > # of people who won't buy the game because there's no demo

That's the maths.

I'm in the first camp BTW.
Pretty much. People play a demo and they don't buy it because they feel they've had their taste of the game, and want to move on. There are very few games that made me want to buy the game after playing the demo for it, and even then, I've purchased used, or during a sale.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Bearillusion said:
No how about bugging Sony about dropping the price on Gripshift? It's $16.95 AU for some strange reason.

Has been a bit hard to get in touch with anyone at SOE lately. Their recent layoffs haven't helped.

But we hope there will be some changes with GS PSN longer term.

highluxury said:
Hate to bug you about this Mario, but is there any chance that we may see a trophy patch to Gripshit?

Considering we had a patch ready for over a year that added better room creation, more weapons, etc that we couldn't get SOE to get up on PSN, I'd say the chances of a trophy patch are pretty much zero unless we wrestle back the publishing rights :(

Tntnnbltn

nofi said:
Yeah, odd. As we said on Saturday, I think it's only VidZone just now.
nofi's article said:
See, I hadn’t updated my home PS3 to the latest firmware because I was waiting on something like this – I wanted to know what it did and why it was an optional upgrade for the first time since the machine launched – and now I know: whatever’s new in Firmware 2.80 was required for VidZone’s latest update.
It wasn't the first optional upgrade. Off the top of my head, there was one upgrade (2.43) which was only compulsory for Japan and optional everywhere else. (It added the Japanese video store).

Mario said:
Considering we had a patch ready for over a year that added better room creation, more weapons, etc that we couldn't get SOE to get up on PSN, I'd say the chances of a trophy patch are pretty much zero unless we wrestle back the publishing rights :(

Oh well. Thanks for the quick response, man! Cant wait to get all the trophies in Shatter :D.

BeeDog

Mario said:
Has been a bit hard to get in touch with anyone at SOE lately. Their recent layoffs haven't helped.

So you're still actively trying to amend the GripShift situation? Kudos to you if so, hopefully it works out.

Darkpen

Banned
Mario said:
aw. Hope that works out.

Looking forward to Shatter this week, heard nothing but great things about it. I bought Magic Ball a few weeks ago to get a feel for that kind of game play and was surprised at how simple but addictive it was. Shatter looks to have a similar mechanic but mixed with the feel of a shmup i.e. level bosses, power-ups etc and more depth. Just hope the leader boards work well as the longevity of the game is going to be based on score chases.

Lothars

I am really looking forward to Shatter since one of the podcasts I listen to was talking about it, I can't remember which podcast it was but it sounds really good and I will be buying it when it's released.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mario said:
To answer the demo question, I can confirm there won't be a demo at launch. There are a couple of business reasons for this that I won't go into.

Is there going to be at least a video Preview? I mean the streaming one viewable from within the Store.

And just for curiosity, is it possible for you to shed some light about how that Preview function works from a developers-to-service-provider standpoint? I mean, is it free? Is it easy to add such a thing? I ask because I think it's awesome and yet very few games have that stuff.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
WO DLC is bought. Shatter looks like the breakout game I've been dreaming about since I played Arkanoid as a kid, Magic Ball didn't really do it for me. Plus, a gaffer is doing it so consider it bought!

sun-drop

KZ2 DLC and Fury are sooooo mine.

the last kz2 dlc map pack was awesome so am expecting good things, and wipeout ... been waiting for this for a while.

Darkpen

Banned
When the fuck is Crystal Defenders coming out in the US PSN store? Its been on XBLA for like 2 months or something now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mario said:

All I ever wanted was chat. Gripshift is really fun and always gets good laughs when playing.

BeeDog said:
You and me both.

No Trash Panic for me though as I already have.

Shatter looks unskippable. The trailers and gameplay I've seen are mesmerizing, and the music is great. Can't wait for Thursday.

Leatherface

Not so sure about Shatter. I watched a Youtube of the gameplay and it basically Arkanoid with some innovations and boss fights. Meh.

bdavid81

Neo Member
Most of my PSN purchases are blind buys. The only one I highly regret is 'Burn Zombie Burn', as I'm terrible at the game, and don't really find it all that fun anyhow. :( More demo's are needed.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Leatherface said:
Not so sure about Shatter. I watched a Youtube of the gameplay and it basically Arkanoid with some innovations and boss fights. Meh.
I know, the innovations kill the game.

bdavid81 said:
Most of my PSN purchases are blind buys. The only one I highly regret is 'Burn Zombie Burn', as I'm terrible at the game, and don't really find it all that fun anyhow. :( More demo's are needed.
If it had online it would be a blast. It's fun but not that fun.

And whatever happened to Zombie Apocalypse?

Top Bottom