• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 10/29/09 – LocoRoco Midnight Carnival

Rolf NB

jvm said:
I just think Myst has aged very poorly. That's just me. I probably spent a couple hours playing before I realized I had a lot more interesting things to do with my life, like watching grass grow.
Same. I got it on UMD a few months ago. Myst just isn't very fun. It loses itself being a techdemo for (then) awesome rendering tech, but it's just empty and poorly directed as a result.

Moobabe

DMeisterJ said:
Downloaded the Ratchet demo.

My god, it's worse than the Clank one.

I'm truly glad that it's a series I've only ever had a passing interest in, and have never tried to delve into it. I really dislike the gameplay. :eek:

I thought it was good :s I preferred it to the clank one anyway, I really love the art style and the never ending sound of bolt collection.

Speevy

Banned
Hanmik said:
anyone bought and tried Inferno Pool..? the trailer and the screenshots looked nice.. how is the game..?

Yes. It looks nice but not as good as Hustle Kings.

Pool is pretty simple. You pull back and shoot with the right analog stick. No stupid meters or bars, which is great.

You have table level and overhead views, but strangely enough there's no "eye to the ball" view which helps make so many shots for me in other pool games.

I would say that if you're craving billiards on your PS3, it's good enough. Although don't expect a lot of single player options. Multiplayer seems to be where the game takes off.

Speevy

Banned
GillaTheGorilla said:
I've played the Demo of Crystal Defenders a few times now and am considering purchasing it, is there a lot more strategy to the full version?

No, it's easily the worst tower defense game on either download service.

batbeg

Speevy said:
No, it's easily the worst tower defense game on either download service.

Really? I liked the PS3 demo, but not enough to purchase it. But I figure it'll be a blast on the PSP, as it's much more suitable for portable play in comparison to something like Pixeljunk, which has looong levels.

What was so bad about it?

GillaTheGorilla said:
I've played the Demo of Crystal Defenders a few times now and am considering purchasing it, is there a lot more strategy to the full version?

You don't get to play with all of the characters in the demo, so it doesn't actually show what it really is like as there is more to it. That said, it's more challenging than it seems. On the tech side, it's kind of a shame that SE is charging more than $4.99 for a mobile phone game port.

Speevy

Banned
batbeg said:

Well I have the full game, but I haven't played it in a while. However, from the time I spent with it, there's very little strategy involved.

You pretty much place the right units around a giant, formless map and hope they kill everything.

It's like placing a bunch of poorly animated Final Fantasy stickers that shoot at other stickers.

Comet Crash > Pixelunk Monsters > Savage Moon >>>>>>>>> Crystal Defenders

I haven't played enough of Mushroom Men to pass judgment.

Speevy said:
Well I have the full game, but I haven't played it in a while. However, from the time I spent with it, there's very little strategy involved.

You pretty much place the right units around a giant, formless map and hope they kill everything.

It's like placing a bunch of poorly animated Final Fantasy stickers that shoot at other stickers.

Will save my money then and just play the demo from time to time.

Thank you for the quick reply.

batbeg

Hm, that's disappointing to hear, but I'll still probably get it for myself as the options for tower defence is much smaller for PSP, and I'm happy with PJM on the PS3.

If I get my PSP working that is :-/

Darkpen

Banned
Speevy said:

That's such an apt description of Crystal Defenders :lol :lol :lol

Hanmik

Speevy said:
Yes. It looks nice but not as good as Hustle Kings.

Pool is pretty simple. You pull back and shoot with the right analog stick. No stupid meters or bars, which is great.

You have table level and overhead views, but strangely enough there's no "eye to the ball" view which helps make so many shots for me in other pool games.

I would say that if you're craving billiards on your PS3, it's good enough. Although don't expect a lot of single player options. Multiplayer seems to be where the game takes off.

thanks... I actually mistook the games.-. I have seen screenshots of HUSTLE KINGS.. not inferno pool... but thanks for the mini-review.. do you happen to know when Hustle Kings arrives..?

The LocoRoco MC demo did it for me, so I went ahead and bought the full game. I like the competitive/platformy aspect of it so much more than the demo of LocoRoco 2. Plus, $14.99 is such a deal for this type of game. Maybe it's because I saw my PSN name in first place for a few minutes on the time trial and scoring list :lol

...must get back to the top of the rankings.

Great prices on Echochrome and Super Stardust Portable! Those games are well worth a fiver each (whatcha gonna buy instead? a pack o' gum and a cup o' coffee?) Crystal Defenders looks good too - gotta try the demo on that (thanx Squeenix! love demos!!)

I'll concur with the Myst detractors; I too bought the UMD in a fit of nostalgia and played all of an hour before realizing, this isn't a game, it's a sadomasochist graphic artist's fetish playground...

I want Darkstalkers of course, but $20 seems high for a game I already own on UMD. I'll probably buy it anyway, but this paying twice for one game on the same system crap is getting old fast.

What about Unbound Saga, is that any fun?

Gotta laugh at the three Petz games priced at $30 each - who's the brain trust that okayed that price point? I bet they sell fewer than 500 copies of each. Geeze, they'd be lucky to move this crap at $10 a piece... :lol Kind of a piss off that there are so many excellent back catalog titles that remain unreleased, but they can find the time and energy to publish grossly over-priced garbage like this. :(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Tried the Critter Crunch demo, good lord the art is amazing.
I wish i had the money, but if you guys have it. BUY THIS GAME

Rolf NB

batbeg said:
Really? I liked the PS3 demo, but not enough to purchase it. But I figure it'll be a blast on the PSP, as it's much more suitable for portable play in comparison to something like Pixeljunk, which has looong levels.

There's no time pressure. You can make your "placing units" phase infinitely long and pause at any time. So it's reduced to pure planning. I like TD more when there's a bit of an execution challenge as well.

I don't like the lack of self-upgrading units.

Levels are too long (too many waves), which they've apparently seen themselves as they added the fast-forward button. The game really is piss-easy usually up until ten waves or so before the end, and everything up until then feels like wasted time.

The graphics are poorly done, they would be poor for a DS game, let alone a Wiiware game, let alone a PSN game. There's like two frames of animation for every unit or creature for each of the four primary directions. Animations play at like 2 fps. It's choppy and ugly and cheap. All monster sprites are reused for "different" enemies which are just palette swaps with more HP. It was a bad choice to try and cram the whole Ivalice design book into the game when they obviosuly didn't have the budget to make it work.
Lack of sprite diversity may be an artifact of Wiiware download size restrictions, but there's no reason why this game can't run at 60fps to at least make the movement (!=animation) look somewhat smoother. It looks more like 20fps actually.

It's way too expensive for the cheap, quick cash-in it is.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Princess Skittles said:
Is Stardust Portable any good? Does it have the "Endless" mode from the PS3 version?
It is practically the perfect port - much closer to PS3 version than any sane person would have thought possible (it's 60FPS no framedrops, fantastic looking and animated meteors, same kind of 3D particle meteor dissolving, even some approximation of HDR lighting...) and it plays like a dream. It's the game I've played 90% of the time since I got PSP Go, even though I played it a lot when it came out back then.

Endless mode is there, and so is a really nice exclusive Impact mode. I'm not sure but I think you have to buy a $2 add-on for those. The add on is also worth every cent.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Lord Error said:
It is practically the perfect port - much closer to PS3 version than any sane person would have thought possible (it's 60FPS no framedrops, fantastic looking and animated meteors, same kind of 3D particle meteor dissolving, even some approximation of HDR lighting...) and it plays like a dream. It's the game I've played 90% of the time since I got PSP Go, even though I played it a lot when it came out back then.

Endless mode is there, and so is a really nice exclusive Impact mode. I'm not sure but I think you have to buy a $2 add-on for those. The add on is also worth every cent.
Well I thought the standard mode was very boring, so I'd really only want Endless mode.

So it'd be $7 with the add-on? Hmm.

Videos on the YouTube do look damn impressive.

OK, I bought Locoroco from the UK store and have my UK account activated in my PSP. When I go to play the game it says something along the lines of "cannot start game by selecting game data". My brain's not working, how do I fix this?

Ashour

Brazil said:
I want FFVIII to be on the US Store as soon as possible so Squall fans can step back and I can start asking for FFIX in every Store update thread.

I will join you every week, the best FF game on PS1 is way over due.

Tobor

Princess Skittles said:
I will also join in. FF IX is the only modern mainline FF game I can stomach.

Count me in as well, but only because I've never played it and have always wanted to.

kassatsu

Banned
outunderthestars said:
If anyone buys zombie tycoon, post impressions!
Liking what I have played so far.

You control the zombies and have them take over a city. There are 3 types of zombies that you can control. You get power-ups from taking over buildings and you equip them to your zombies.

Will have a review up on Monday.

kassatsu said:

You control the zombies and have them take over a city. There are 3 types of zombies that you can control. You get power-ups from taking over buildings and you equip them to your zombies.

Nice, thanks Kass... trying to find good (trustworthy) mini reviews is proving difficult...

sat0sh1

Neo Member
bought:

Thexder Neo
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus - hmmm not sure about the pastel backgrounds they
seem to have lost something, but it's nice to play more Guilty Gear which is a "bit"
different to GGXX#reload.

So is that it ? is it the last one ? Blaz Blue all the way from now on ?

kassatsu said:

What exactly is the difference between the 3 types? Can't figure it out lol :lol

Aru

sat0sh1 said:
bought:

Thexder Neo
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus - hmmm not sure about the pastel backgrounds they
seem to have lost something, but it's nice to play more Guilty Gear which is a "bit"
different to GGXX#reload.

So is that it ? is it the last one ? Blaz Blue all the way from now on ?

Unless SEGA gives GG to another developer, it's over for this series.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jvm said:
I just think Myst has aged very poorly. That's just me. I probably spent a couple hours playing before I realized I had a lot more interesting things to do with my life, like watching grass grow.

I bought it some time ago for PSP, and I dunno...it has obviously aged graphically, but I still find the atmosphere unique and intriguing (I think it's partly because of the sound, which brings life and mystery to the mostly static visuals). I loved Myst back in the days though, and I'm sure it's partly nostalgia talking. I'll admit the gameplay is slow, and the puzzles can be very confusing (and frustrating) at first sight.

Rolf NB

kassatsu said:
► Petz Saddle Club (PSP)
○ 171 MB
Checked this out for shits and giggles. Goddamn. This is poison. And they're asking money for it, too! Someone should call the governor.

batbeg said:

Go ahead and buy it. I actually really like it, but I'm big into FF characters.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Isn't there supposed to be a PS Store thread for this week already? kassatsu? kassatsu? Bueller?

Edit: Ooops. Duly chastised!

Top Bottom