• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation TV (Vita TV) officially discontinued in Japan

Always seemed crazy that they didn't sell the steamlink-esque fuctionality. Easily the best thing about it. £20 and I can play my PS4 in bed if the Mrs wants the lounge TV.

This had the potential to be awesome.

If they were able to make all vita games compatible via the DS4, and I now its out of Sony's hands but manage to get apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc this would've been killer.

I have a vita but don't use it much because I find it a little uncomfortable / the tiny sticks and shoulder buttons are horrible. I would've got a PS TV no questions.
Everything has the potential to be awesome.

Here is the thing, potential means nothing. You either are successful or you are not.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Welp

Time to buy a PSTV before they completely disappear from the market.

phant0m

Sony's mismanagement of the entire Vita ecosystem was shameful. I doubt they will ever make another handheld either.

Evenbillybob

Neo Member
The whitelist was a huge, terrible mistake.
Was it Sony that decided which games were playable on the Vita TV?
Most of the Square-Enix PSP and PS1 games won't work in the EU, but they work in the US. I just want to to play Tactics Ogre on my TV, dammit!

IDK its come in handy for me a few times.
1. Play Persona The Golden
2. Play Lumines
3. Other games, etc
4. Woman is downstairs watching TV, I can stream my PS4 up to my office and play up there.

It wouldve done much better if Sony got Netflix/Hulu on it and set it as a streaming set top.

LiK

i can't believe they never lowered the prices of the memory cards to more reasonable prices to help sell it.

also, lack of streaming video services on it didn't help.

The Vita TV was shitty at everything it did, what a shame, my biggest gripes:

1. Remote play with PS4 is absolutely horrible, I have a pretty beefy network, and use other streaming solutions like the Steam Link and nVidia shield, but the Vita TV lagged like hell, could never use it.

2. It completely messes up your folders in the Vita if you are transferring back and forth a card from a Vita to the Vita TV.

3. and of course, the restrictions on most games, I just starting assuming that the games I wanted to play on it dont work.

In the end, I think I played like 3 hours of Super Meat Boy on it and never came back, it was just a frustrating device to deal with :(

Vinland

Banned
I haven't used mine in a year bc I moved and its still in a packing box but I loved it at my apartment. Played more vita games on it than my day1 vita.

Glix

Always seemed crazy that they didn't sell the steamlink-esque fuctionality. Easily the best thing about it. £20 and I can play my PS4 in bed if the Mrs wants the lounge TV.

It doesn't work as well as you would like. I have been trying, oh have I been trying. I get better remote play on my vita, wireless, then I do on PSTV, wired or wireless. I work in IT and have tried almost everything. Nothing makes it work nicely.

UCBooties

Everything has the potential to be awesome.

Here is the thing, potential means nothing. You either are successful or you are not.

This is a useless observation. There is merit to discussing whether or not a failed product capitalized fully on its potential.

My take on the TV is that Sony tried to get a toe-hold in a niche market but was leery of investing too much in the device. I don't know if the sub-HD output was as big a factor in its failure as others seem to think. Instead I think it was the lack of media support that buried it, at least in NA/Euro markets. The remote play and Vita/PSP game support are nice features, but the idea of selling a streaming device that doesn't support Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime at a minimum is crazy.

Qwark

Yes when Sony disconuited the PSP and PS2 they didn't issue PR either. They just updated the product page.

Thats because you used google translate...

It actually says "shipment finished/ended"

According to a GameInformer response from Sony, production has ceased in North America and Europe, but continues elsewhere.

Update: Sony has provided a statement on the PlayStation TV. The device was discontinued in North America and Europe at the end of 2015.

The company says however that as of the end of February 2016, the micro-console is still in production in other territories. This includes Japan, and Sony has no announcements regarding when that might change.

Top Bottom