• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I HAS FOUR VITA GAMES

I HAS NO VITA

WHYYYYYYYYYY

i-t9PJNn8-XL.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Only thing I dislike from what I am seeing is the fact that every online app has to connect to the network upon start-up. Wonder if that's something they can change down the road.

How are the puzzles? And do you know how long the game is?

I've really only played like 20 level and most of that is in tutorial phase. puzzles seems simple so far. one thing you may appreciate, the level is very interactive, you can see a broom on the wall and can tap the rear pad to drop it on the floor. it have nothing to do with the actual puzzles but are just there for interactivity sakes.

so generally, when you go to new room, you just check out the level and figure out what can be interacted with and then figure out how to proceed to next floor. they don't give hint or tease the solution at all so it's all you even though the puzzles is pretty simple so far.

oh, and you'll be doing some finger gymnastic sometime lol. in 1 level, I'm using 1 finger to block a leaking gas pipe, then move my two character past it, but before they got to far, I have to make them stop moving, use another finger to block a second leaking gas pipe, then move them along again.

and in another level, I have to touch rear pad to make timed platform while at the same time, quickly squeeze my character (touch front and pack touch pad on the character at the same time) to make him dash the timed platform.

Weenerz

Banned
Content manager not working for the ps3? I tried to copy over Super Stardust but it keeps saying it could not copy over some files and the thing doesnt work. Am I able to download and copy it over via my PC?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Content manager not working for the ps3? I tried to copy over Super Stardust but it keeps saying it could not copy over some files and the thing doesnt work. Am I able to download and copy it over via my PC?

Your PS3 should display a gray screen with a picture of the Vita on it. If it doesn't, you need to disconnect the Vita from the PS3 and try it again. Had the same problem earlier.

o0achilles0o

Neo Member
I'm normally against extended warranties, but since that actually covers accidental damage at only $15 a year, that's actually not bad at all. I assume it's 2 years from purchase, not 2 years added to the 1 year warranty that comes with it by default. I may just bite on that.

The accidental damage plan is $50 for a PSP for 2 years and starts from the date of purchase. The standard warranty extension plan is $40 for 2 years starting from the date of the expiration of the initial 1-year manufacturer warranty.

Only thing I dislike from what I am seeing is the fact that every online app has to connect to the network upon start-up. Wonder if that's something they can change down the road.

They certainly can change that. Whether they will or not is an entirely different story.

Also, hearing about the friends list and Vita game trophies being completely partitioned off from the PS3 is incredibly annoying. It's just another one of those Sony OS clusterfucks. I can't think of a single reason why they'd do that. Sure, they can change this in the future, but it begs the question why they didn't have it ready for launch.

It's a smart way to cross promote the Vita and it's games to allow PS3 users to see someone is playing a Vita, or has Vita trophies in their trophy list.

The accidental damage plan is $50 for a PSP for 2 years and starts from the date of purchase. The standard warranty extension plan is $40 for 2 years starting from the date of the expiration of the initial 1-year manufacturer warranty.

Someone posted the Vita version is only $30. I would have expected no less than $50. So assuming that's accurate, it's better than the PSP plan.

Are people still having a difficult time getting free Stardust + DLC to work after signing up for 3G?

You have to wait for your first month to be over, 30 days, so you don't cheat the system.

I can't fine aim using analog for Uncharted GA at all. I'm still not sure if it's the analog sticks, or Uncharted's programming. thankfully, the gyro-aim is so much superior to even real analog sticks. I'm considering the gryo aiming to be the vital game mechanic in GA that differentiate it with Uncharted consoles.

I'm still waiting for Unit 13 to come out to test how the analog will work for actual fine aiming.

These are the sort of impressions that scare me a bit. Was the gyro aiming implemented to make up for the inherent shortcomings of the Vita analog sticks?

Having played Uncharted, Lumines, Super Stardust, and played around with the functions and features, Im beyond happy with this purchase. Advertising may have suck, but this thing is going to have crazy word of mouth. I cant imagine putting this into someones hands that is a gamer on some level and have them not immediately want this thing.

r.gun

Neo Member
Meaning apps like the friends list. You go into it and have to wait for it to connect to PSN, then you go to the store and have to wait for it to connect to PSN, etc etc. It doesn't stay connected.

Mostly for battery consumption I would assume. The Vita only turns on the wireless signals when you request for an update from the apps or start them up. If the signal was "always on" battery would drain pretty quick.

Saroyan

Edit: HOLY CRAP, are those Vita cases ever small... and terribly cute. I mean, they looked a lot bigger in pictures, even in comparison ones. But then you hold it...

I agree, I just got HSG today and the case is itty bitty, smaller than a cd jewel case. I like it hehe

These are the sort of impressions that scare me a bit. Was the gyro aiming implemented to make up for the inherent shortcomings of the Vita analog sticks?

I suppose. Vita analogs are smaller than DualShock, so the analog range has to be shorter (even if it's not shorter, the precision of a thumb has its limits). Then, is more difficult to have, in the same time, fast movement and slow movement (obviously, you can change the sensibility, but a high sensibility will make slow movement more difficult and low sensibility the fast movement slower).

With the gyro aiming you can go for a high sensibility because you can use gyro for the precision aiming.

Bebpo

Banned
Any way to flip the gryo controls in Uncharted? I thought it would be putting MOTION CONTROLS on inverted but it didn't do anything. When I tilt back it's natural for me to expect the cursor to move downward for some psychological reason. Can't use gryo controls at all currently.

Good thing, unlike most people, for some reason the analogs aren't bothering me much. After years of playing shooters on the PSP crap nob, and recently RE on the slider pad thing, this is a huge improvement and feels pretty good.

Also, why can't you add multiple items to your shopping cart and then check out? Seems odd. I want to buy a lot of stuff!

graywolf323

ugh that makes it rather complicated...

so if you spend $40 for the Vita one you essentially have three years of limited warranty but if you spend $70 you have only two years of full warranty

Oldschool

Any way to flip the gryo controls in Uncharted? I thought it would be putting MOTION CONTROLS on inverted but it didn't do anything. When I tilt back it's natural for me to expect the cursor to move downward for some psychological reason. Can't use gryo controls at all currently.

Good thing, unlike most people, for some reason the analogs aren't bothering me much. After years of playing shooters on the PSP crap nob, and recently RE on the slider pad thing, this is a huge improvement and feels pretty good.

Also, why can't you add multiple items to your shopping cart and then check out? Seems odd. I want to buy a lot of stuff!

Could you please check what languages Uncharted has?

I think in the Giant Bomb bombcast the person said that adjusting the sensitivity made aiming a lot easier with the sticks and didn't even use the Gyro aiming. So default sensitivity is a bit high, which is what I gathered from the demo as well.

However, don't sleep on the Gyro aiming it really is a great gameplay addition.

Argyle

Protip: if you need a spare charger, I'd skip the official AC adapter. Although it is pretty much a standard 1500ma USB charger, the socket is designed to only really fit the Vita's USB cable, so you may have problems charging other devices with it. If you have a similar spec USB charger lying around, all you need is the cable. I'm using my HP Touchpad charger to charge my Vita right now.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ugh that makes it rather complicated...

so if you spend $40 for the Vita one you essentially have three years of limited warranty but if you spend $70 you have only two years of full warranty

I think that's the standard for extended warranties. Yeah, it's stupid, but one is pretty much a blanket for covering any damage while the other is just a normal warranty

graywolf323

I think that's the standard for extended warranties. Yeah, it's stupid, but one is pretty much a blanket for covering any damage while the other is just a normal warranty

well we have 30 days from purchase to decide at least

seems at least 26 people have already bought the two-year accidental one since it has 26 5-star ratings on the Vita PSN store (none of the other warranties have any ratings)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I suppose. Vita analogs are smaller than DualShock, so the analog range has to be shorter (even if it's not shorter, the precision of a thumb has its limits). Then, is more difficult to have, in the same time, fast movement and slow movement (obviously, you can change the sensibility, but a high sensibility will make slow movement more difficult and low sensibility the fast movement slower).

With the gyro aiming you can go for a high sensibility because you can use gyro for the precision aiming.

MSqv2.jpg

inc77

Is PSN going extremely slow for anybody else? I know my internet is fine. I just purchased Escape Plan and its telling 65 minutes till the download completes :(

It's amazing how different peoples mind's works when it comes to camera control, I find it fascinating.

For me I view the screen on the Vita as a view finder on a camera so if I want to aim at something up and to the left I would need to move the unit up and to the left. It would never cross my mind to move the unit down and to the right. However, many people's mind do work this way, in fact a co worker of mine did exactly that when playing the demo and was all over the place expecting the camera to be inverted on gyro aim.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I can't explain it. They have options for invert everything else, so they should have one for that too! I thought that's what the normal/invert option was under motion controls...but it didn't change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom