• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aucool

According to Gamasutra PS Vita devs are swapping to 3DS

"An anonymous quote from Japan's Nikkei newspaper paints a bleak picture for the future of the PlayStation Vita, but Scott Rohde, Sony's senior vice president of Worldwide Studios, rebuts.

The PlayStation Vita has failed to catch fire in the Japanese marketplace since its December launch -- being routinely beaten in weekly sales by its predecessor, the PSP, which is still popular there, as well as Nintendo's 3DS.

In a story that went up on Nikkei's website today, written by Kiyoshi Shin, the head of Japan's IGDA branch, an unnamed source from the Japanese game industry says that "Major Japanese companies are canceling all projects intended for the Vita and are changing development to the 3DS."

"I did not see that quote, but you see extremist quotes like that all the time," says Rohde, who spoke to Gamasutra about the incipient launch of the Vita in North America.

"I mean, obviously, there is no way anyone could stand in front of a camera and say that all developers are changing focus from one platform to another, no matter what it is."

Rohde went on to say that his guess is that it's "largely exaggerated. I know many, many, many third party developers and publishers are feverishly working on Vita titles, not just for now, but for the foreseeable future."

It might not be literally true, but does it hint at a real trend? "No, I absolutely haven't heard," says Rohde.

"There's always going to be the hot platform of the moment in our industry," he says. "There's always going to be reason to talk about a story like that."

"You can, whatever -- rewind two years ago. Every developer was you knew was selling -- going towards -- I was going to say 'selling their soul', it almost came out -- to go build games for Zynga and the Facebook platform. And there's another time when you see everyone is going to do smaller iPad games, or iOS games in general. Then it was PS3, it was 360, it's Vita, it's 3ds. It's always, constantly changing. It's not something that concerns me whatsoever."

The full interview with Rohde, which contains his thoughts on the Vita's launch and future, and major competitors Apple and Nintendo, will be live on Gamasutra next week."

http://bit.ly/wCajp7

Twinduct

°°ToMmY°°;35187947 said:
How can i disable them? I tried, but didn't manage to.

Oh geez
Code:
On the XMB™ menu, go to PlayStation®Network and sign in to your PlayStation®Network account.
Go to Account Management > System Activation > PS3™ System.
Select the type of content you no longer want your PS3™ system to use.
Highlight [Deactivate System] and press the X button. Your system will then be deactivated.
Highlight [OK] and press the X button.
For more information or assistance, please visit PlayStation® Support.

False Alarm. Sorry :<

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
@Aucool
There is even a thread for it ;)

shinjijai

maybe it's just me but my screen is blotchy on the sides, but I only notice this when I play it in the dark and there's a dark scene. anybody else have this problem?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
maybe it's just me but my screen is blotchy on the sides, but I only notice this when I play it in the dark and there's a dark scene. anybody else have this problem?

That's OLED for you. Someone posted a comparison screen a few pages back.
912719_0.jpg

Tattooth

Just ordered myself this starter kit in preparation of UK launch.

So does that com with two cases then, and neither of them this one:
Yxflr.jpg

This is the one I want to get, any idea where it is sold in the UK?
The travel kit comes with a different case, I think, but I'm not sure if it is this one?

kirby2096

Yxflr.jpg

The travel kit comes with a different case, I think, but I'm not sure if it is this one?

That's the travel kit case. It's £7 more than the starter kit for swapping the cases with a car charger that I'd never use, so I'd rather go for the starter kit for the soft pouch.

Wazzim

Banned
Yxflr.jpg

I'm pretty sure the travel kit comes with that one.

Tattooth

That's the travel kit case. It's £7 more than the starter kit for swapping the cases with a car charger that I'd never use, so I'd rather go for the starter kit for the soft pouch.

Can either of the starter kit cases even hold games though? I'd rather pay £7 extra and have a case that could hold all my stuff.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Am I going to have to grow my fuckin fingernails more with this? The flaps that cover the game and memory card slots look like they are going to be awkward to get in to, is that the case?

My Sony Tablet S has a similar issue and I can only open it with a knife.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I can play the JPN demos just fine on my US account. So then it is only "activated/purchased" content that won't work.
Glad I can confirm it for myself.
Yeah, it said AT&T before I even activated. No problem. All the screens I've taken have been with the 3g off (not transmitting as I'm on wifi).

3G is actually still on sometimes when you do this. I've seen the 3G icon pop up when at times when the Vita has disconnected from my home network.

Durante

I expect (and really hope) that's only A. under complete darkness, and/or B. something a camera catches the human eye doesn't, like red eyes in pictures.
In my experience with OLED on my phone both of these are true. Or at least, it's only visible in complete darkness, and to the naked eye it's not even remotely as extreme as in that picture.

Kyoufu

I expect (and really hope) that's only A. under complete darkness, and/or B. something a camera catches the human eye doesn't, like red eyes in pictures.

You see the stains when the screen is pitch black. My Vita has it and I'm sure others have stains too.

darkwing

it happens in my Samsung Galaxy S2, it's no biggy, unless I'm watching a black screen in a dark room all the time

Jellzy

Neo Member
°°ToMmY°°;35187947 said:
How can i disable them? I tried, but didn't manage to.

Oh geez
Code:
On the XMB&#8482; menu, go to PlayStation®Network and sign in to your PlayStation®Network account.
Go to Account Management > System Activation > PS3&#8482; System.
Select the type of content you no longer want your PS3&#8482; system to use.
Highlight [Deactivate System] and press the X button. Your system will then be deactivated.
Highlight [OK] and press the X button.
For more information or assistance, please visit PlayStation® Support.

False Alarm. Sorry :<

Instead of using the 'Devices' tab, go into the 'account' tab and enter the 'media and devices' link. You can deactivate your PS3 systems (amongst other devices) from here. :).

On-Topic: Can't wait til my Vita arrives (UK). So envious right now.
Decided to go for the 3G bundle with an 8GB crad and Virtua Tennis from play.com - fancy the £5 off PSN card in the pre order pack. Also looking to get the starter pack, more so for the sleeve than anything else, although I will use the extras.

This UI, the multitasking, the speed, the graphics, the way the games look and feel, the dpad, the analog sticks, the store...this thing is amazing.
This thing is the paradigm of a Gamer's Handheld, for sure. I'm a huge fan of portable gaming and I've been buying these things since the original Gameboy (which I bought the first week they were available in our town back in 1989 - there wasn't really much "hardware launch" hype back then before the World Wide Web). The Lynx followed, then the TurboExpress, the Game Gear, the Nomad, Gameboy Pocket and NeoGeo Pocket Color... Tho' the TE and Nomad were nobel attempts at delivering console games on the go, they were both seriously limited by the screen and battery technology available. The Lynx was brilliant in its time, but Atari mismanaged it into the ground despite Epyx' best efforts, and it too suffered from the technical limitations that plagued the Nomad and TE... Ultimately all of these systems were clearly compromises in one form or another over the home experience.

Throughout these first fifteen years, Nintendo dominated the market with it's philosophy of handheld gaming as distinct (and technically several generations removed) from the console experience, and that was fine - we're well aware of how good Nintendo can be in this field - but Sony gave them their first taste of real competition when they entered the market in 2004/2005.

The PSP was as close as we'd ever come to getting a handheld that could do what our consoles do, but as good as it was, it was still hampered by it's own input limitations, Sony's distraction by the PS3 early in the system's life cycle and a bit of an identity crisis... Be that as it may, it was enormously successful; the PSP sold 70 Million units worldwide. If I'm not mistaken, the next most successful contender for handheld market share in the face of Nintendo's defacto dominance was the Game Gear, with something like 7 Million units sold over its life span. However, riding in the wake of Nintendo's incredibly popular DS series of handhelds, the PSP acquired the largely undeserved stigma of a sorry also-ran...

But the PSP did bring us to this, and this is as good a place to be for the Handheld Gamer as ever we've known. For me, the Vita signals the Singularity of Handheld Gaming - finally I feel like they have achieved the goal; it's all in our hands. We can take our games anywhere, and we don't have to compromise the experience to do it. We've arrived...

I've waited 23 years for this. And it is an amazing feeling.

Would anyone be interested in swapping 5USD code from pre-order pack with my 5EUR code? I pre-ordered in Germany, but my main account is a US one.

where is all the cool Apps

like Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter, Netflix, ????

I thought this was a day one thing?

It most likely is Day 1, meaning Feb 22nd.

Instead of using the 'Devices' tab, go into the 'account' tab and enter the 'media and devices' link. You can deactivate your PS3 systems (amongst other devices) from here. :).

On-Topic: Can't wait til my Vita arrives (UK). So envious right now.
Decided to go for the 3G bundle with an 8GB crad and Virtua Tennis from play.com - fancy the £5 off PSN card in the pre order pack. Also looking to get the starter pack, more so for the sleeve than anything else, although I will use the extras.

Thanks!

so, is anyone waiting for a pricedrop / more good games to release?

ATM, I'm only seeing Uncharted as a day 1 purchase.

my dream scenario... Ruin (I really despise it's new name...) and a price drop occur on the same day.. would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

My dream has always been... diablo on handheld, and now I can have it : )

Jac_Solar

So many potentially awesome games there.

I was wondering if anybody has played or know a lot about Ragnarok Odyssey? I was wondering if its the type of RPG that is explorable, with a large world that is fun to walk around in? Some of the screenshots make the world seem huge.

Anyways, I'm wondering which console to invest in: 3DS or PSVita. It doesn't seem like the Vita is going to do very well, based on the hype/word from around the net, or something to that effect. But that's a lot of guessing and such I suppose.

3DS has the 3D screen which sounds cool, but I'm not sure if I'll like it or not, and Vita has the best game lineup at the moment (In my opininion of course.).

However, 3DS has the Resident Evil game to itself at the moment, and reviewers say it's almost, or that it IS like a full console game in terms of content, I suppose. Any advice? Currently I guess I'm leaning towards PSVita.

thechemist

So many potentially awesome games there.

I was wondering if anybody has played or know a lot about Ragnarok Odyssey? I was wondering if its the type of RPG that is explorable, with a large world that is fun to walk around in? Some of the screenshots make the world seem huge.

Anyways, I'm wondering which console to invest in: 3DS or PSVita. It doesn't seem like the Vita is going to do very well, based on the hype/word from around the net, or something to that effect. But that's a lot of guessing and such I suppose.

3DS has the 3D screen which sounds cool, but I'm not sure if I'll like it or not, and Vita has the best game lineup at the moment (In my opininion of course.).

However, 3DS has the Resident Evil game to itself at the moment, and reviewers say it's almost, or that it IS like a full console game in terms of content, I suppose. Any advice? Currently I guess I'm leaning towards PSVita.

I personally sold my 3ds for the vita, saying that I loved the original psp.

Kiraly

This one?

http://www.playstation-vita.nl/files/2011/09/psvita-pouch-600x410.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, that one.

[quote="thechemist, post: 35188682"][url]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=6h56vPq8Syk[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Soft pouch looks good, but guess I will go with the travel kit because I hate how the sides of the Vita are left open in that other case in the starter kit - won't be useful when I start throwing my Vita in my bag full with crumbs and shit.

My dream has always been... diablo on handheld, and now I can have it : )
Although it's merely average, there is also Dungeon Hunter: Alliance for the Vita if you're looking for a Diablo clone.

I got the expression that it's a Monster Hunter clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom