• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raine

From the faq. I thought you could tether to your phone.

You can access the internet by creating a Wifi hotspot on your phone. Of course they're gonna phrase the question that way because they want you buying 3G.

Are cases of stuck / dead pixels with the Vita very rare? I've searched the last few pages and not seen any mention other than 1 comment.
I hope this is the case.

Someone yesterday returned theirs because of a stuck/dead pixel

Chocoboko

So, has anyone figured out how to view a map of your area in near? It showed it the first time i launched it, but now every time I do a search it shows the "what people are playing! please rate this game!" thing.

Wish I could just see the map.

Mrbob

Looks like Giant Bomg did a quicklook on NG:Sigma+.

Watching now!

Edit: oops, I should leave the link.
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ninja-gaiden-sigma-plus/17-5687/

That was painful to watch. Jeff ran by the key for the door like 3 times. After the original game and the re-releases, none of them really knew what was going on. Game looks nice in motion, though. Ninja trial additions seem nice. I'm think I'm in as long as I can get the game at Target as part of the B2G1 promo.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I just heard the most amazing retort to this, and I just HAVE to share it. It's so wrong, but yet so right.

"Do you expect a coffin to smell nice when there's been a corpse in it?"

I'm still laughing. :(

LOL that is pretty funny.

Day 2 with it and I'm already messing with it more. I've not come down from the high yet haha

So I went back to Gamestop to try the Vita again and I will say one thing, the visual quality and the screen quality are significantly more impressive than the 3DS. It really does make you feel as if the 3DS was built to be $150 or so while the Vita was built to be $250-300.

Personally I'm going to just use my cell phone's data plan. Rogers is pretty good about letting you use your phone as a wifi hotspot, so the additional cost for a 3G Vita is unnecessary IMO.

I couldn't get my Roger's Wifi Hotspot to work with my Vita yesterday. :( Kept getting an error message.

\erally ANY console or mobile device store I can think of.

Also, browser is quite good. The zooming feels right,which really surprised me as that's usually the weakest spot in the mobile browsers. Too bad games have to close when the browser is running.

Once the Twitter app is released, you can use it to launch the web browser without closing games. Yes, a crappy work-around, but a work-around nonetheless.

I just heard the most amazing retort to this, and I just HAVE to share it. It's so wrong, but yet so right.

"Do you expect a coffin to smell nice when there's been a corpse in it?"

I'm still laughing. :(

So wrong yet so right. Cookie to whoever came up with that.

LiquidMetal14

A quick update on the FEB case. If you spray it with some perfume or cologne, it smells better but you have to let it sit for a day. Be generous with it but don't over spray. The case smells like a burnt set of pubes after a one night stand. Maybe it's the smell vinegar marinated gym socks a la carte. Who knows!?

So I went back to Gamestop to try the Vita again and I will say one thing, the visual quality and the screen quality are significantly more impressive than the 3DS. It really does make you feel as if the 3DS was built to be $150 or so while the Vita was built to be $250-300.

Not to be a dick, but there's nothing about my 3DS that screams "WORTH 150 DOLLARS!". And I paid 250 for it <sadface>. The Vita feels like its worth every cent of the 249.99 I paid for it from purely a technological standpoint.

Watching the Ninja Gaiden video from GB has me itching to play the game again. One of my favorite action games ever, and this looks like a fast, smooth port, even if those guys don't seem to know what they're doing. ;)

Worldwide, there are more than 70 PS Vita games currently in development. What’s more, some of the most popular third-party franchises in gaming will appear on PS Vita, including Assassin’s Creed, BioShock, Call of Duty, and Mortal Kombat.

Well those are confirmed then...

I found this interesting.

Q: Can you take out the battery from the system?
A: No. PS Vita’s rear touchscreen requires the use of an internal embedded battery.

They make it sound like the back touch capacitors work because that battery is there... maybe it completes "contact" with something allowing it to register touches?... so people can't finagle with the battery...?

tzare

agree. Not only the screen, but the OS also is night and day. Everything on 3DS is slow as hell, and multitasking is so limited. ALso the home/select/start buttons are really low quality. Vita instead, while not iphone level , looks as a quality device.

Raine

Well those are confirmed then...

I found this interesting.

They make it sound like the back touch capacitors work because that battery is there... maybe it completes "contact" with something allowing it to register touches?... so people can't finagle with the battery...?

If I heard correctly, someone said there are instructions in the manual on how to remove the battery?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
After setting up the Vita, out of 6 games that I have, I put in Virtua Tennis last night. Even with only 2 hours to play, that game did not leave the Vita. Wow. Great game, great controls!

i dont' think calling is a must for 3g vita, but allowing instant messaging services like whatsapp, viver, gtalk, chaton or messenger would give the system a boost as a multipurpose device. They also should add more video codecs.

Yeah, it would definitely widen the appeal to have something like that.

The route I was thinking was that there are 2-3 things (at leat as a man) that you will always have with you. 1. Wallet 2. Keys (assuming you drive or live in some type of dwelling) and 3. Phone.

Fixed1979

Not to be a dick, but there's nothing about my 3DS that screams "WORTH 150 DOLLARS!". And I paid 250 for it <sadface>. The Vita feels like its worth every cent of the 249.99 I paid for it from purely a technological standpoint.

This topic could get dangerous! I dig my 3DS it's a good handheld with some neat features and a few games that I really enjoy, that said when it's sitting next to my Vita it looks like a child's toy.
Please Nintendo fans don't hurt me

Averon

Wanna see what's inside?

ifixit.jpg

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation-Vita-Teardown/7872/1

Wow. The Vita's internals are a lot less than I imagined. Sony can't be losing too much on this thing.

Dark spotting during the black game screens, should I be worried?

No, all OLEDs are like that at the moment. Since OLED works as organic matter being charged, when a screen goes black, the pixels hold a slight charge still, causing blotches. Nothing to be worried about.

If I heard correctly, someone said there are instructions in the manual on how to remove the battery?

Well yeah, you can take it out, but if you leave it out (but having the power plugged in) they make it sound like the back doesn't work.... maybe just bad wording?

SharkJAW

According to the tear down posted a page or two ago, removing the battery just requires a screwdriver and some time.

LiquidMetal14

Wow. The Vita's internals are a lot less than I imagined. Sony can't be losing too much on this thing.

The funny part is that it feels so tight and compact but just the right weight. It doesn't feel or weigh and certainly look cheap. This is the real deal. I keep pitching it or telling my fam and friends on how this is truly the first connected dedicated hand held with amazing tech. IT's more featured and fast than consoles too.

SharkJAW

Well yeah, you can take it out, but if you leave it out (but having the power plugged in) they make it sound like the back doesn't work.... maybe just bad wording?

I'd probably attribute it to that. The tear down suggests that you have basically no contact with the touchpad's components.

According to the tear down posted a page or two ago, removing the battery just requires a screwdriver and some time.

Yeah, I know that, but why would the battery being gone cause the touch panel no the back not to work? I'm thinking it's because the battery (or a component on the battery) acts as an electrical contact.

If that makes sense.

I'd probably attribute it to that. The tear down suggests that you have basically no contact with the touchpad's components.

hmmm

This topic could get dangerous! I dig my 3DS it's a good handheld with some neat features and a few games that I really enjoy, that said when it's sitting next to my Vita it looks like a child's toy.
Please Nintendo fans don't hurt me

It has a game I've really enjoyed (Pushmo) and I'm sure there will be many others in the future. I'm speaking solely about how the hardware feels to me. The biggest mistake I made was trading in an XL for a 3DS. I wish I could have a do-over there. I don't regret trading my 3000 for a Vita though, and a large reason for that is how PSP titles look on the Vita.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Pretty much. I never felt all that enthusiastic for the 3DS even though I purchased it at launch. I was drawn in by the 3D gimmick but was ultimately disappointed in the narrow FOV and cross talk.

The launch lineup was simply awful and the system did not provide a single great game to play until Zelda (for me). There are some great titles now (Mario + RE:Revelations) but it still feels like a PSP+ to me rather than a leap forward.

The Vita just feels premium and, unlike the PSP, can handle all of the various function of the 3DS (barring 3D). PSP was limited by this as they couldn't ride the touch screen craze.

3DS needs a bigger screen. Simple as that.
Yes! The screen is TINY and the low resolution is awful (though I know that won't change). It's lower resolution than the original PSP. :\

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Why is there no demo for download for Gravity Rush? I mean.. it's been on the Gamestop demo units at every store.

I will say that one thing on the 3DS that has impressed me that I hope Sony and Microsoft copy is Communities. That way I wouldnt have to deal with adding and removing friends all the time.

raven777

I feel stupid. I still can't find where to get the SDD promotoion! Tried to find it from the ATT contract page(where I signed up 3G for vita) but cannot find it! I tried to go to www.att/buyasession but u can't get there by PC for some reason. I tried to find it from vita, and searched my profile, notification, my device plan but I just can't find the promotion.

can somebody help me!?

LiquidMetal14

Why is there no demo for download for Gravity Rush? I mean.. it's been on the Gamestop demo units at every store.

Think about that :p

And a neat little but non important thing I noticed just now. There's a tiny little light next to the game card slot that blinks when it registers the card. A nice touch.

I still haven't taken Little Deviants out of the shrink wrap too. I am tempted to also buy games in the B2G1 free sale but I would rather pre-order LBP and Gravity Rush over games I may buy down the line.

I feel stupid. I still can't find where to get the SDD promotoion! Tried to find it from the ATT contract page(where I signed up 3G for vita) but cannot find it! I tried to go to www.att/buyasession but u can't get there by PC for some reason. I tried to find it from vita, and searched my profile, notification, my device plan but I just can't find the promotion.

can somebody help me!?

I thought I read, once activated you will receive the game 30 days after activation.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So with Sony abandoning OLED research and development and focusing on CLED, can we expect the next Vita redesign to be Crystal LED?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom