• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel stupid. I still can't find where to get the SDD promotoion! Tried to find it from the ATT contract page(where I signed up 3G for vita) but cannot find it! I tried to go to www.att/buyasession but u can't get there by PC for some reason. I tried to find it from vita, and searched my profile, notification, my device plan but I just can't find the promotion.

can somebody help me!?

Are you talking about getting the code for the game?

It's stupid, you have to wait 30 days... so after the first session is done and paid for to get it.

So with Sony abandoning OLED research and development and focusing on CLED, can we expect the next Vita redesign to be Crystal LED?

LOL.. sorry.. but no. Sony has even said OLED for now, is the future, CLED is much farther down and is in early concept...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just got notification from Amazon that Ridge Racer has been pushed back to June 30. :(

Oh well, I have 6 games right now as it is. Not a big deal.
I'm really hoping this means they'll actually add a lot of extra content to the game (instead of relying on DLC) and potentially clean up the technical performance. The JP version of the game was simply unfinished and should never have been a retail product.

UFRA

Think about that :p

And a neat little but non important thing I noticed just now. There's a tiny little light next to the game card slot that blinks when it registers the card. A nice touch.

I still haven't taken Little Deviants out of the shrink wrap too. I am tempted to also buy games in the B2G1 free sale but I would rather pre-order LBP and Gravity Rush over games I may buy down the line.

lol This is why I like to explore the system's features and read everything about it first son.

It only mentions about 20 times in the manual that that is the card reading activity light and you should never take out a card while it's flashing. So it is quite important! :p

I'm really hoping this means they'll actually add a lot of extra content to the game (instead of relying on DLC) and potentially clean up the technical performance. The JP version of the game was simply unfinished and should never have been a retail product.

Yeah, I heard many people saying this as well. In that case, I am glad that it is delayed. I love RR games, so I'd hate to have it be a crap performance.

Zoibie

Ugh. Even though there's still 6 days to go until Vita is officially released, I keep checking Amazon in the vain hope that they've started dispatching early. I set myself up for disappointment every time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just got notification from Amazon that Ridge Racer has been pushed back to June 30. :(

You have to think that they are adding the content and HOPEFULLY polishing at least to a solid 30fps. I know people still liked the game but it seems like the content made everybody rage against based Scamco. It's for the better if you ask me and I may even buy it now since launch is stacked as it is.

Pagusas

Elden Member
No? The OLED in Vita is produced by Samsung.

Thats... surprising as I see Samsung as the reason Sony has lost the ability to make a profit in the LCD world. But I know they ment for the Vita to be more "off the shelf parts" then any previous sony system, so i guess it does make sense.

Yuripaw

Banned
Just in case anyone's interested, I was able to pick up something today that I posted in the B/S/T thread that some of you might be interested in. That's all I'll say.

LiquidMetal14

lol This is why I like to explore the system's features and read everything about it first son.

It only mentions about 20 times in the manual that that is the card reading activity light and you should never take out a card while it's flashing. So it is quite important! :p

Yeah, I heard many people saying this as well. In that case, I am glad that it is delayed. I love RR games, so I'd hate to have it be a crap performance.

Who reads the manual when you can just hit it up hands on :p

I am finding out everything as I go. Raw!

lol 1 week before release and it gets delayed 4 months! This was my main purchase with the console. Was only just announced that there would be a Gold pass too.
Definately not Ridge Racer Unbounded that's been delayed?

raven777

I thought I read, once activated you will receive the game 30 days after activation.

But I heard you have to click redeem promotion or something, and then they will send the code after 30 days. Is this not true?

So if I just wait 30 days after paying for 1 month data, I get the promotion code automatically after 30 days??

tzare

Pretty much. I never felt all that enthusiastic for the 3DS even though I purchased it at launch. I was drawn in by the 3D gimmick but was ultimately disappointed in the narrow FOV and cross talk.

The launch lineup was simply awful and the system did not provide a single great game to play until Zelda (for me). There are some great titles now (Mario + RE:Revelations) but it still feels like a PSP+ to me rather than a leap forward.

The Vita just feels premium and, unlike the PSP, can handle all of the various function of the 3DS (barring 3D). PSP was limited by this as they couldn't ride the touch screen craze.

Yes! The screen is TINY and the low resolution is awful (though I know that won't change). It's lower resolution than the original PSP. :\

bigger screen with that resolution may have IQ issues. I also see 3DS XL coming though, they need to put de second analog somewhere and a bigger form factor would help.

I sometimes wonder if Vita could make 3D using passive glasses. It would be uncomfortable but i also find annoying trying to keep my head steady when playing 3DS.

gkryhewy

Weird. That's a big delay for a title that usually gets a decent launch bump. I wonder if they might go digital only, or just cancel it. June 30 sounds like a placeholder date (last day of the fiscal year, and a Saturday.)

PaulLFC

That's strange, is this a US-only delay? Both Amazon UK and ShopTo where I've ordered from are still listing it as releasing on launch day on the 22nd.

LiquidMetal14

After watching the Unit 13 video off PSN on Vita. I think I may lean towards it depending if other key friends are getting it. Looks fun even if the frame rate looks typical Zipper style.

Goldrusher

Those of you who have ordered with Amazon.fr, you will have received an e-mail with a €30 coupon which should (only) be used to order pre-order kit (which you couldn't order before today; value €30).
You need to order the kit, use the coupon, and it will be (as good as) free.

However, it appears that if you cancel your original order, and re-order everything using this coupon, you get the discount twice.
Because if you order now, you need to order the pre-order kit as well. Which gets discounted at the end of the checkout: €30 off. But you also have a coupon for it: another €30 off.

This way, you can get a Vita, 8GB memory, Uncharted for €250 instead of €335.
Or only a Vita and 8GB memory for €200.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
lol 1 week before release and it gets delayed 4 months! This was my main purchase with the console. Was only just announced that there would be a Gold pass too.
Definately not Ridge Racer Unbounded that's been delayed?
The Gold Pass thing was never confirmed for the US as far as I could tell. I'm fine with it being delayed as I have plenty of other crap to play. Hopefully the game turns out a little better once it arrives here.

Ken

Where do I go to find the UMvC3 costume DLC from the Vita? Going to the UMvC3 item in PSN shows 0 DLC for it, and pressing "Go to DLC" from the game menu gives me a page with no content items.

LiquidMetal14

Those of you who have ordered with Amazon.fr, you will have received an e-mail with a €30 coupon which should (only) be used to order pre-order kit (which you couldn't order before today; value €30).
You need to order the kit, use the coupon, and it will be (as good as) free.

However, it appears that if you cancel your original order, and re-order everything using this coupon, you get the discount twice.
Because if you order now, you need to order the pre-order kit as well. Which gets discounted at the end of the checkout: €30 off. But you also have a coupon for it: another €30 off.

This way, you can get a Vita, 8GB memory, Uncharted for €250 instead of €335.
Or only a Vita and 8GB memory for €200.

krumble

Still down for release 22nd Feb here in UK at all outlets

Surely the game must have been made a packaged by now to suddenly be cancelled a week before release seems odd

LiquidMetal14

Anyone else check the patch for Hot Shots? It says 2/22/2012 on it. I hope it enables the lobbies. I love the look of the game. Very cutesy like characters. Going in now for a round.

After it updates in about 20 minutes ><

UFRA

After watching the Unit 13 video off PSN on Vita. I think I may lean towards it depending if other key friends are getting it. Looks fun even if the frame rate looks typical Zipper style.

Ok, I'm sold on it. Back in the day SOCOM Fireteam Bravo was one of my first PSP games and I had fun. I can only imagine the fun a game like that will be with 2 analog sticks finally.

Anyone else check the patch for Hot Shots? It says 2/22/2012 on it. I hope it enables the lobbies. I love the look of the game. Very cutesy like characters. Going in now for a round.

After it updates in about 20 minutes ><

Speaking of which. When I redeemed the HSG Online Pass it approved my code but then did nothing. Unlike Wipeout which actually downloaded a file.

However I was able to go into the online section of HSG and it didn't yell at me for not having a pass. When I tried to load a lobby it got an error though.

Not sure what the deal with that online pass is.

LiquidMetal14

Ok, I'm sold on it. Back in the day SOCOM Fireteam Bravo was one of my first PSP games and I had fun. I can only imagine the fun a game like that will be with 2 analog sticks finally.

And playing it on the poolside while sipping on the juice and using the gangster like built-in Vita mic that I can't seem to locate >>

The online pass for me seemed to DL but I could be wrong. Maybe it was some simple unlock that was already there but needed a code. It was not a little DL like Wipeout though, as you said. Up for a round with voice in about 10 minutes or less?

Alchemy

People are looking forward to Ridge Racer? I thought the game was bare bones and looking to milk consumers by offering the entire core of the game through DLC. Did I miss something?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So Virtua Tennis is good?

Agh, my buy 2 get 1 free purchases (that I never intended to make before the deal showed up) are most likely Virtua Tennis, Hot Shots, and maybe Lumines.

UFRA

And playing it on the poolside while sipping on the juice and using the gangster like built-in Vita mic that I can't seem to locate >>

Again, a quick look to the manual last night revealed the mic was on the bottom/back side of the system. It's a little hole. :p

Manuals liquid, they are your friend. :)

I just got my Vita headset today so we can try the mic out on that.

The online pass for me seemed to DL but I could be wrong. Maybe it was some simple unlock that was already there but needed a code. It was not a little DL like Wipeout though, as you said. Up for a round with voice in about 10 minutes or less?

Sure, but more like 40 min. I gotta eat something.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
bigger screen with that resolution may have IQ issues. I also see 3DS XL coming though, they need to put de second analog somewhere and a bigger form factor would help.

I sometimes wonder if Vita could make 3D using passive glasses. It would be uncomfortable but i also find annoying trying to keep my head steady when playing 3DS.
I don't think it would be wise to even try. 3D has its place, but I'm finding that it's very challenging to find that place. I'm glad the Vita focuses more on a really high quality 2D image rather than a poor 3D image.

PaulLFC

People are looking forward to Ridge Racer? I thought the game was bare bones and looking to milk consumers by offering the entire core of the game through DLC. Did I miss something?
At least in the UK, it's launching at £15 with a free "Gold Pass" that doubles the amount of cars and tracks. The final announced DLC is going to be about £5 making the game £20 in total. Not too bad, really.

theBishop

Banned
There are some great titles now (Mario + RE:Revelations) but it still feels like a PSP+ to me rather than a leap forward.

Not to derail the thread, but do you have any idea what's going on with Revelations? I saw some footage that looked great, but does the whole game look as good? It's suspicious since every 3DS game I've actually played makes the system look less capable than PSP. It even has some of the weird shaky edges like PS1.

Argyle

I will say that one thing on the 3DS that has impressed me that I hope Sony and Microsoft copy is Communities. That way I wouldnt have to deal with adding and removing friends all the time.

I'm not in the loop on Communities (skipped Mario Kart 7, are there any other games that support it?) but are they basically loose groups? For example, you can join a NeoGAF community and then you can see everyone who is logged in and match with them even if they aren't in your personal friends list, and if you wanted to you could join more than one community?

Don't the XBL players "hack" this by using "friends of friends" and making a dummy Gamertag for their community group? I think you can do this on Vita now, a lot of things can be opened to "friends of friends", so you just friend the dummy account and you can then see everyone who is logged on. Not as good as proper "community" or "clan" support but it might be enough at launch...

TheExodu5

Banned
Does no one else have an issue with the triggers? I can press them in lightly and they won't activate...I need to press a bit harder to get them to activate.

patsu

I will say that one thing on the 3DS that has impressed me that I hope Sony and Microsoft copy is Communities. That way I wouldnt have to deal with adding and removing friends all the time.

What does Communities do ?

I'm not in the loop on Communities (skipped Mario Kart 7, are there any other games that support it?) but are they basically loose groups? For example, you can join a NeoGAF community and then you can see everyone who is logged in and match with them even if they aren't in your personal friends list, and if you wanted to you could join more than one community?

Don't the XBL players "hack" this by using "friends of friends" and making a dummy Gamertag for their community group? I think you can do this on Vita now, a lot of things can be opened to "friends of friends", so you just friend the dummy account and you can then see everyone who is logged on. Not as good as proper "community" or "clan" support but it might be enough at launch...

If that's the case, PS3 XMB chatroom already does it. Once you set up a chatroom, essentially any member of the group can invite their friends, so on and so forth. I have a GAF room that is pretty much populated by Gaffers.

I agree Sony should port the XMB chatroom over to Vita Party. ^_^

For the FEB what free PSN game do you get?

What does Communities do ?

It allows you to create your own community where you'll only be matched up with those who are part of said community. For instance, there is a NeoGAF Mario Kart community. If you are part of said community you'll only be matched up with those on NeoGAF.

Shadybiz

OK, I'm totally sold on the Vita now. I just had a chance to play the demo unit at GS. I played one hole of HSG, and a coworker played a little bit of the Uncharted demo. Both blew our minds. I have said that I will resist until the first price drop, or a really attractive bundle, but I do not believe that my will is that strong.

Get these things in peoples' hands, and I have a feeling that many will bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom