• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back from a GameStop myself.

I went to GameStop specifically to try out the gunplay in Uncharted. I was not happy when the demo ended without a single bullet having been fired. I can't help but think this wasn't by accident. They didn't want people to experience the aiming in the demo, and that really concerns me.

Furthermore, I played with the analog sticks a bit, and it immediately struck me how limited the travel of the sticks was. It's hard to imagine fine adjustments being possible when the sticks have such limited movement. Moving one of these sticks 2mm would be the equivalent of moving a dual shock 3 stick at least double that. As you can imagine, trying to line up a headshot is basically impossible. This is quite disheartening to me.

It almost makes me wonder if having sliders like the 3DS is a better option. At least substantial movements are possible, and frankly I think the slider on the 3DS feels great. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds with games like Resistance, but I genuinely fear this could end up being the Vita's Achilles Heel. People hoping for an awesome Call of Duty experience in their hands may be in for a rude awakening when it arrives this fall.

The Uncharted demo available for download has a second level where you can shoot but you are limited to a sniper rifle.

Raine

I just got back from a GameStop myself.

I went to GameStop specifically to try out the gunplay in Uncharted. I was not happy when the demo ended without a single bullet having been fired. I can't help but think this wasn't by accident. They didn't want people to experience the aiming in the demo, and that really concerns me.

Furthermore, I played with the analog sticks a bit, and it immediately struck me how limited the travel of the sticks was. It's hard to imagine fine adjustments being possible when the sticks have such limited movement. Moving one of these sticks 2mm would be the equivalent of moving a dual shock 3 stick at least double that. As you can imagine, trying to line up a headshot is basically impossible. This is quite disheartening to me.

It almost makes me wonder if having sliders like the 3DS is a better option. At least substantial movements are possible, and frankly I think the slider on the 3DS feels great. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds with games like Resistance, but I genuinely fear this could end up being the Vita's Achilles Heel. People hoping for an awesome Call of Duty experience in their hands may be in for a rude awakening when it arrives this fall.

You're getting a little ahead of yourself here. If they're not comfortable for you, that's one thing. Plenty of people think otherwise. They're certainly not something you should base your opinion for future gaming off of in one sitting.

I do have question

Is it possible to do the following

Iphone 3G that share the internet connection to the PS vita Wifi so that i'm connected on wifi all time where ever I am ?

It should work, cause my friend has a 4S which we used as a hotspot to play Gears 3 and it didn't lag, which is weird and I didn't think it were possible. But yea, it is only acting as a hotspot, so the Vita should have no problem. It's as if the iPhone is a router, so the Vita thinks it's actually connecting to a router.

I picked up a copy of Wipeout 2048 and a 16 gig card today. Now just have to wait for tuesday to arrive. God I can't wait. I'll probably pick up Hot Shots and Lumines over the weekend too.

Salaadin

Noticing that this pdp crystal case doesn't hold up to drops very well. It sometimes opens when dropped and I'm worried that my vita will still get damaged if I it falls out. I love all the card slots though. :(

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
How do I transfer a PSP game I bought on Media Go to my Vita? Couldn't pass up the Valkyria bundle. I'm getting an error when I try to download it on my PS3.

Sitting here doing 18 holes of training :)

You guys will love the game.. Screw IGN and their 6.5. If you get a double boggy, and lose after leading the whole tourney, that's your fault.. LOl@IGN for calling the game unforgiving.. That's sports... I know if you lose after playing a game for 45mins it can be frustrating. It sounds like the reviewer wanted a retry button like in training mode. I'm against that sort of thing in racing and sports games. I don't know, maybe they got the wrong person to review the game.

In addition. The graphics are great. Enough of a step up for me. I don't need HSG to be the best looking game on Vita.

Oh I have no doubts about the gameplay. I played it at GameStop but the pop in and non native resolution sucks. It doesn't matter though- te gameplay mang the gameplay. I
IGN sucking at the game makes it even sweeter for some reason.

Fixed1979

Good to know. I just really don't want to download the updates/demos again...

...and done. Appears to have copied everything over, demos, photos, update,etc. I little bit of a lengthy process (I had 1.5Gb). Transferred from a backup on a SSD, suppose I should have timed it.

EDIT: Does not appear to backup remote play settings.

Oh I have no doubts about the gameplay. I played it at GameStop but the pop in and non native resolution sucks. It doesn't matter though- te gameplay mang the gameplay. I
IGN sucking at the game makes it even sweeter for some reason.

Honestly I really don't find it bad looking and haven't really noticed any pop-in, I'm wondering if it's only on the demo...

You're getting a little ahead of yourself here. If they're not comfortable for you, that's one thing. Plenty of people think otherwise. They're certainly not something you should base your opinion off of in one sitting.

Plenty of people who have already invested large sums of money to get the Vita as early as possible, yes. We'll see when Resistance shows up, but I predict developers will resort to two options to overcome the analog sticks. Super sticky auto aim, or gyro assist, as they did with Uncharted. No matter how you slice it neither choice is optimal. It should just be possible to aim well, without the tricks.

I'm likely buying a Vita next week, so I'm certainly no hater, but I think this is a real concern and there is a reason there has already been some complaining about this from various sources.

So I have been flip flopping between the target deal and my lust for a DD handheld. I think I have come to the conclusion that having all games digitally is worth the cost. This day and age I hate the idea of swapping anything out to play it on the go or on my couch. Fuck it anyway I make good money.

KillGore

Iphone 3G that share the internet connection to the PS vita Wifi so that i'm connected on wifi all time where ever I am ?

You mean tether from your iPhone? I think it is technically possible. I've done it with my PS3, and although it's really really slow, it is possible. Obviously you can't play online but sign in? I believe so. I've also managed to do it with my 3DS but it's really really really hard for the 3DS to do it for some reason. I ended up pre-ordering the 3G vita because I just didn't want such a headache like the 3DS.

kuroshiki

Plenty of people who have already invested large sums of money to get the Vita as early as possible, yes. We'll see when Resistance shows up, but I predict developers will resort to two options to overcome the analog sticks. Super sticky auto aim, or gyro assist, as they did with Uncharted. No matter how you slice it neither choice is optimal. It should just be possible to aim well, without the tricks.

I'm likely buying a Vita next week, so I'm certainly no hater, but I think this is a real concern and there is a reason there has already been some complaining about this from various sources.

Actually I've been seeing many positive things about analog sticks in vita. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

...and done. Appears to have copied everything over, demos, photos, update,etc. I little bit of a lengthy process (I had 1.5Gb). Transferred from a backup on a SSD, suppose I should have timed it.

Honestly I really don't find it bad looking and haven't really noticed any pop-in, I'm wondering if it's only on the demo...

Great! I am still trying to decide if I want to pick up rayman or wait for the releases next week on PSN but that download sucked. PS3 downloading in the future.

Well, that would be incredible. Squirrels were popping in.

jackdoe

Super sticky auto aim, or gyro assist, as they did with Uncharted. No matter how you slice it neither choice is optimal.
Haha. Super sticky auto aim (borderline cheating IMO) is the name of the game for Call of Duty, so I think CoD fans would be fine with this solution.

Raine

Care to list these various sources that have played a FPS and are complaining about the analog sticks?

I love the analog sticks from my time with them @ Gamestop not sticky at all.

Carl

You mean tether from your iPhone? I think it is technically possible. I've done it with my PS3, and although it's really really slow, it is possible. Obviously you can't play online but sign in? I believe so. I've also managed to do it with my 3DS but it's really really really hard for the 3DS to do it for some reason. I ended up pre-ordering the 3G vita because I just didn't want such a headache like the 3DS.
Dont see why you couldnt play online via it. I've tethered my PS3 to my phone and used it to play online. With less lag than i have on my home network actually

Probably best to just sprinkle it on the outside, not unless you can vaccuum it out or something. I haven't looked too much into doing it in a case since usually they aren't known for stinking so bad you need to deodorize them.

Thanks, I'll figure something out. Yeah, this is definitely a new one for me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Why wouldn't you be able to play online? Sure, the latency will likely be a bit worse than with a home connection, but the actual data speeds shouldn't be an issue if you're on a decent mobile network.

Fou-Lu

Just picked up my Vita from the post office, updating as of now. So far loving this thing, fits my hands perfectly, the analog sticks feel great and the touch screen has great response, better than any other I've seen.

What`s up? Amazon changed the Ridge Racer release date to June 30????

Edited: Gamestop now lists it also for March 20th... Was it delayed????

Also, do we know for sure that the Vita screen is plastic? (debating if I should get a screen protector) Because I just got my FEB and its manual says the screen is glass.

I'm convinced that my difficukties aiming with uncharted ga is because of how the game is programmed, not becausecof the analog. I have no problem with subtle input on the left stick for walking etc, someone mentioned that i should try adjusting sensitifity, so I'll try to lower it next time I play uncharted again

Finally my shipment arrived!

arvJk.jpg

Did you forget the picture of the other side?

hwwDI.png

jcutner

53 minute long call with Sony just now to see if they can find out why I can't buy anything on PSN.

Errors

80023102 on the PS3

NP-2244-2 on the Vita

They claim, connection issue, even though I can browse the store fine
They are updating the store
and try again tomorrow.

Great.

Fixed1979

53 minute long call with Sony just now to see if they can find out why I can't buy anything on PSN.

Errors

80023102 on the PS3

NP-2244-2 on the Vita

They claim, connection issue, even though I can browse the store fine
They are updating the store
and try again tomorrow.

Great.

I don't have any Vita games or section in the PS3 store. I can bring them up if I do a search but otherwise, they don't exist. Wonder if it's related.

Apath

Haha. Super sticky auto aim (borderline cheating IMO) is the name of the game for Call of Duty, so I think CoD fans would be fine with this solution.
I hate aim-assist and how it makes crosshairs sticky. Nothing worse than shooting at an enemy, only to have another run across your field of vision, dragging your crosshair with it.

I actually didn't have too much trouble with the sticks. It took a little getting used to but eventually I was playing Wipeout just fine. I guess it would be different with actual shooter gameplay.

patsu

Has anyone had issue connecting to the PS3 using Media Manager? I'm getting a "Could not connect to the PS3 system" message.

When you connect your Vita to the PS3, the latter should automatically fire up the PS3 Content Manager Assistant. Then you start the Content Manager on Vita.

Sometimes, PS3 misses the cue and the PS3 CMA doesn't show up. You'll have trouble connecting to the PS3 in this case.

You have to re-plugin the Vita USB cable to get PS3 to start CMA again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom