• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale-XF11

Neat, I just hooked up my PSVR to my PC and it basically acts as a 2nd monitor. I watched some 3D SBS videos real quick to see how it works. It's not the most comfortable experience though, since it took up my entire vision. The 3D effect works though. I wonder if there's a way to do cinema mode while hooked up to my PC. That would be amazing. I still don't have a PS4, so it would be neat to get something working without one for now.

Got my VR delivered today (thanks Taco Bell)! Have yet to set it up since I've had a long day so I'll give it a go tomorrow. Having a hard time deciding whether to pick up either Batman or Until Dawn for the time being. Any recommendations?

Batman will ease you in nicely and also give you a real good feeling of "being there" so it seems like a good mix for being your first game, even more so if you like Batman. It's the one I used to start with as well.

Neat, I just hooked up my PSVR to my PC and it basically acts as a 2nd monitor. I watched some 3D SBS videos real quick to see how it works. It's not the most comfortable experience though, since it took up my entire vision. The 3D effect works though. I wonder if there's a way to do cinema mode while hooked up to my PC. That would be amazing. I still don't have a PS4, so it would be neat to get something working without one for now.

That's interesting to hear, seems no reason for Sony NOT to patch in 3D in to the media player really. But I'm sure they won't or will certainly drag their feet about it.

Fliesen

so i played Tomb Raider - Croft Manor in VR with manual controls and while it was a bit 'weird' floating through Croft Manor like a ghost, i get how people who are susceptible to motion sickness would get super sick from this. (i didn't, but i had the odd disoriented 'whoa ...' moment every now and then)

Ended up turning it off because you move so goddamn slow. The VR mode is clearly just an afterthought here. Walking through the wine cellar DOES get kinda eery though. No way am i ever gonna play some sort of Amnesia / Outlast kind of Suspense / Jump Scare kind of horror game on VR. No. Freakin. way.

Because i'm an idiot and a trophy geek, the newly acquired PS camera from the bundle made me able to collect all trophies from the original Playroom game / software. Cute proof of concept game.

Generally, i don't like games that use the DS4 as a pointing device in VR. The gyro can be kinda wonky, and the LED bar being only on the front makes rotating / spinning stuff much more of a hassle than using the thumbsticks. imho, the move controllers are a must-have for VR that doesn't just use the DS4 as a regular old controller.

Ah, so you CAN split the HDMI signal to avoid using the processing unit.

Using one of those "4K 3D" video splitters, you can input the HDMI and then send one output to your receiver/TV and the other to the PSVR box.

There is a catch, however, in that, while you can still use your receiver for audio, you can't necessarily use the TV at the same time - it triggers an error. So if you want to see what's on the screen, you'll need to plug straight into the PSVR box.

If you just want to use PSVR by yourself in normal conditions and don't care about the social screen, though, it works great.

Need to test and see if you can work around the social screen issue by simply disabling deep color and HDR options since I think the signal mis-match is causing the issue (the PS4 is outputting 12-bit color which the PSVR box won't deal with).

Better than constantly shuffling cables around, at least.

The PSVR processing unit is really a piece of junk, though, and it's insanely disappointing that Sony would basically sell you a box that degrades picture quality on high-end displays while limiting the potential of PS4 Pro. They SELL high-end TVs and the Pro...and if a user has a PSVR, the quality of the video will be degraded. I can't even begin to understand how this happened but it's a big deal.

I've actually got a HDMI splitter although it's pretty old so I assume not 4K is this the best way to work around the processing unit? I assume I would need a manual one as both will be fighting to push the signal to the tv at the same time.

That's interesting to hear, seems no reason for Sony NOT to patch in 3D in to the media player really. But I'm sure they won't or will certainly drag their feet about it.

Yeah, I hope they don't take too long to update the media player for 3D SBS/TB, 3D Blu-ray, and 180/360 3D VR. It's really the only thing "missing" at the moment.

majin_pol

Neo Member
Anybody have any input on pixel gear? Only like 1 30second clip on YouTube of it that I could find, but looks kinda cool and it's out soon.

out in german shop, PL,UK,DK,US = nope. waiting looks good, one dude on reddit said its fun 10EUR / 8EUR with plus... im in.

LiK

Nope, they're labeled correctly. But again, as I said, contrast issue (that's not coming across in these pics) may be the thing that's making a difference for me.I just took and posted these pics to show that there is a difference for sure between the two cameras, not intended to be pic good enough to analyze and determine which one would be better for tracking. Would've provided better pics, but I had nobody else to help me, was holding the headset and the phone myself, while trying to angle both things to get a decent snap off-screen from a TV.

What I can say is, in person when looking at the screen, the new camera's image is brighter as a whole, and the LEDs end up standing out relatively less compared to the old one, despite a larger area/their intended shapes being shown. The Old one, while not getting the intended shape across, are much more focused and the lights themselves appear brighter where they are picked up, while the rest of the image/environment remains a bit darker (more contrast).

Who knows what the cause is for the old camera working out better for me. All we can say is, that the two cameras, despite being said to be the same internally, are clearly providing different images, and possibly tracking as a result.

You might be right since many Reddit users say they had less issues with older camera. I haven't played anymore PSVR games this day but I'll take out my unused old camera and test it out tomorrow, wanna have it ready when my sis visits. She wants to try it out.

What are people doing when switching between sitting and standing games? I find the camera's FOV isn't big enough to see the headset for both unless I adjust it's angle. If I do that, do I need to re calibrate anything? What exactly does calibrating the lights on the headset and controllers do? Thinking about it, I shouldn't need to do that each time I move the camera, right? Seeing as you have to hold them at a fixed point when you do it

Mezoly

Really enjoying Sports Bar Vr so far. I'm better at pool than real life. Air hockey is super fun and good tracking too. I suck at skeeball though. Darts is hard to do because the move controller need to be in front of the headset which causes jitter and wobbling. Will try multiplayer tomorrow.

Mezoly

What are people doing when switching between sitting and standing games? I find the camera's FOV isn't big enough to see the headset for both unless I adjust it's angle. If I do that, do I need to re calibrate anything? What exactly does calibrating the lights on the headset and controllers do? Thinking about it, I shouldn't need to do that each time I move the camera, right? Seeing as you have to hold them at a fixed point when you do it

I change the camera all the time for standing games and I don't recalibrate. It works fine without recalibration for me.

robotrock

Banned
So the move controllers are okay in Sports Bar VR?

Doesn't seem like they'd be good enough to accurately play pool but I have no idea how sports bar is handeling this stuff.

shmoglish

Hopefully I can pick up my unit today/tomorrow (with more gaming stuff I dont Need right now). Planning to buy Rigs, Worlds, Rush, VEV, Batman and Thumper for the start. Already own Bound and TRaider. And Keep talking and nobody explodes will be a great multiplayergame for Christmas.

After Bladerunner :)

Edit

And Wing Commander - eve graphics with the wing commander story, with the cut scenes as 360 videos :)

(I know this can't be done but I can dream lol)

Add a Colony Wars to the list

Hasney

So the move controllers are okay in Sports Bar VR?

Doesn't seem like they'd be good enough to accurately play pool but I have no idea how sports bar is handeling this stuff.

You kind of lock on, so after wrestling with it for a little bit, you hold the trigger of one and it won't move anymore.

tr00per

Does anyone else get the feeling that the menu in the demo disc was an early Prototype of the main menu in VR?

And that Japan studio and guerilla Cambridge will be om psvr duty going forward?

Also, what are the chances that cinematic mode could support 3D games and movies?

Really want more shooting games in general. gonna have to re-buy all those PS3 light gun games

Dear Capcom
Resident_evil_the_umbrella_chronicles_uscover.jpg

VR that shit.

WildZero

so i played Tomb Raider - Croft Manor in VR with manual controls and while it was a bit 'weird' floating through Croft Manor like a ghost, i get how people who are susceptible to motion sickness would get super sick from this. (i didn't, but i had the odd disoriented 'whoa ...' moment every now and then)

Ended up turning it off because you move so goddamn slow. The VR mode is clearly just an afterthought here. Walking through the wine cellar DOES get kinda eery though. No way am i ever gonna play some sort of Amnesia / Outlast kind of Suspense / Jump Scare kind of horror game on VR. No. Freakin. way.

Because i'm an idiot and a trophy geek, the newly acquired PS camera from the bundle made me able to collect all trophies from the original Playroom game / software. Cute proof of concept game.

Generally, i don't like games that use the DS4 as a pointing device in VR. The gyro can be kinda wonky, and the LED bar being only on the front makes rotating / spinning stuff much more of a hassle than using the thumbsticks. imho, the move controllers are a must-have for VR that doesn't just use the DS4 as a regular old controller.

You can adjust the speed in the control options. It's got settings for turn speed, walking speed, etc.

joebruin

Was annoyed at the move controller because I couldn't figure out how to navigate menus and kept going back to the ds4 lol.

Forget which game it was but I finally realized you had to hold down the trigger...noob move

Teknoman

Anything big PSVR related coming the holiday season in NA?

EDIT: I wonder if a PSVR hidden gems thread is necessary...in the near future anyway.

Apt101

I could not sleep, and I took off work anyways, so I popped in Batman VR.

Whoa. That was seriously good. Talk about immersion. That was intense at times. Yea I get it now, I'm in. I can't wait to see how developers leverage VR here on out. I want more of experiences like that.

And if the Pro can improve upon the visuals, then I am going to pick one up day one now.

GmK

Neo Member
Share button wasn't working for this. If I had someone else to help me, I'd have something better, but this is the best I could do on my own (having to use the controller, hold the headset, hold the phone, while angling them as best as I could). The difference is even more apparent than this, but these pics should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
old-new-normal7ysyz.png

old-new-invert-frontows0d.png

The old camera picks up the brightness of the LEDs better (to the point that it can actually make out the actual individual lights in the set) and in general has a more contrasted view (the contrast part doesn't come across here). The new camera, not only is it taking in a blended view of the lights/LEDs, closer to the way we actually see them in person, but also in general, it's like the brightness in the overall image has been turned up, at the cost of contrast, making the LEDs stand out a little less than they do on the old one (again the contrast part isn't coming across in these images).

Thank you for the comparison images. I am also using the old camera and never experienced large tracking issues.

My theory why the old one might work better despite the new one seemingly seeing the better "lights": The old one has "pinpoint" tracking, since the camera only mostly has the central point of each tracking light it sees and can track. The new one sees a larger light surface of each light, and the camera might thus not see the "center" of the tracking lights, making it wobble deciding where the center is - if that idea makes any sense.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Share button wasn't working for this. If I had someone else to help me, I'd have something better, but this is the best I could do on my own (having to use the controller, hold the headset, hold the phone, while angling them as best as I could). The difference is even more apparent than this, but these pics should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
old-new-normal7ysyz.png

old-new-invert-frontows0d.png

The old camera picks up the brightness of the LEDs better (to the point that it can actually make out the actual individual lights in the set) and in general has a more contrasted view (the contrast part doesn't come across here). The new camera, not only is it taking in a blended view of the lights/LEDs, closer to the way we actually see them in person, but also in general, it's like the brightness in the overall image has been turned up, at the cost of contrast, making the LEDs stand out a little less than they do on the old one (again the contrast part isn't coming across in these images).

So unless we're missing something this seems Sony may have actually lied about the specs on this, because it's clear there is a dramatic difference between the two. I can't confirm that, because I havent actually seen Sony officially release specs anywhere, just heard through gaf specs are the same. The whole thing seems odd to me, almost as if they realised the old camera wasn't up to speed to track clearly. Probably didn't anticipate the new camera would experience the same issue.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Hey, folks. I got my PSVR on Monday and had a bit of fun with it. Unfortunately, after trying to use it every day, it appears that it just doesn't really work.

I've run through calibration at least ten times — with lights on, off, in between, etc. I had a picture frame behind me that I even covered with a cloth to rule out reflections. I angled my camera high and low, rotated it to face different parts of my living room, etc.

When I first used it on Monday, I tried out the Job Simulator demo, and it seemed to be fine. But since then, there isn't a single game that doesn't hitch, jitter and drift. Just holding the two Move controllers perfectly still in all games, I can see them wobble, drift, and jitter in the game world.

After all this, I've decided that the device simply doesn't work — at least not in my house. So my question is: how do I return it? I'm in Canada, and of course stores won't let you return them due to hygiene reasons. Has anyone successfully done so through PlayStation support?

The driver for the ps camera apparently refers to four different cmos sensors. Or so says the pc Github source for a driver. It's possible each one has different characteriarica but I would prefer to be using the new one based on those screenshots

Can I watch 360° vídeos on YouTube?

Not yet, well atleast at the weekend coun't unless it been patched since but doubt it as would have heard about it, is a big ommision imo but damn does watching podcasts in cinematic mode look and feel amazing, was like i was at the table watching Midlife Ballers so cool my new way to watch podcasts with a single camera, not brave enough to watch Kinda funny stuff as Kevin is still really trigger happy with the camera switches so think it might be a bit too much, but fixed camera stuff is soo imersive found myself turning to look at who was talking so cool

Fliesen

You can adjust the speed in the control options. It's got settings for turn speed, walking speed, etc.

i did turn off the "speed restriction" (can't remember the exact name) ... - another safeguard to prevent people from getting sick, i suppose. Fast 'strafing' in VR is what feels the most werid.
it's still way slower than in 3rd person.

the immersion was great, the playability was so-so. It's a valid effort but it doesn't actually make the experience better, imho.

Hey, folks. I got my PSVR on Monday and had a bit of fun with it. Unfortunately, after trying to use it every day, it appears that it just doesn't really work.

I've run through calibration at least ten times — with lights on, off, in between, etc. I had a picture frame behind me that I even covered with a cloth to rule out reflections. I angled my camera high and low, rotated it to face different parts of my living room, etc.

When I first used it on Monday, I tried out the Job Simulator demo, and it seemed to be fine. But since then, there isn't a single game that doesn't hitch, jitter and drift. Just holding the two Move controllers perfectly still in all games, I can see them wobble, drift, and jitter in the game world.

After all this, I've decided that the device simply doesn't work — at least not in my house. So my question is: how do I return it? I'm in Canada, and of course stores won't let you return them due to hygiene reasons. Has anyone successfully done so through PlayStation support?

since it's pretty much sold out unless you pre-ordered, can't you sell it via craigslist or something similar? - i bought mine from an acquaintance for 30€ above retail price (which is super fair), knowing that - should i not like the experience - i'd actually be able to make a profit when i decide to re-sell it.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
since it's pretty much sold out unless you pre-ordered, can't you sell it via craigslist or something similar? - i bought mine from an acquaintance for 30€ above retail price (which is super fair), knowing that - should i not like the experience - i'd actually be able to make a profit when i decide to re-sell it.

I may have to, yes. I'm asking friends if they can find someone who'll buy it, but I doubt it can turn a profit — a quick check on EB Games' site, as well as Best Buy's, seems to show stock almost everywhere. Only the launch bundles appear to be sold out.

rafaelr

The driver for the ps camera apparently refers to four different cmos sensors. Or so says the pc Github source for a driver. It's possible each one has different characteriarica but I would prefer to be using the new one based on those screenshots

oh man, this is starting to sound a bit like the fan/noise level issues.
my ps4 got really loud when playing games. i tried several things (change thermal paste several times, change heat pads, use coin underneath cpu bracket, etc.) to combat this but nothing really helped. then i found out that sony uses 2 different fan suppliers (delta & nidec) and that the nidec one is better. i had the delta one, and once i changed it for a nidec i finally got a much quieter ps4.

WildZero

i did turn off the "speed restriction" (can't remember the exact name) ... - another safeguard to prevent people from getting sick, i suppose. Fast 'strafing' in VR is what feels the most werid.
it's still way slower than in 3rd person.

the immersion was great, the playability was so-so. It's a valid effort but it doesn't actually make the experience better, imho.

The thing that wound me up was being forced to use the comfort settings & teleport everywhere at first. I'm all for having options, but it should let me choose from the beginning. Especially after having to play half an hour of the main game before I could even load the VR mode.

Mendrox

Should have bought two move controllers beforehand in Germany. Cannot find them in retail anywhere and on eBay the prices suck.

Disktrasa

Banned
Lol, i contacted a "friend" that i know had 2 movecontroller but never use them, i offered him 20$ and he was superhappy with that xD

Me to ;)

Velurian

Ozorov - Estonia
Zoukka - thanks, looking into it now - ah, no delivery into estonia, they are also out of stock until november 8, it seems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom