• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

wapplew

I think having clean image is most important factor to trick me into immersion.
Hope Pro with down sample will make everything as clean as possible.
Also I think Wayward sky should use direct control over point and click, like robot rescue.

Just got my parents to try out VR, my stepdad almost kicked the TV when the shark was attacking during the deep dive demo.
Considering that almost 20 years ago he commented that he thought I was too old for video games I found his reaction to VR a little satisfying. :p

ViolentP

Quick question: can I use the PSVR without headphones, with only audio source being the TV?

Stereo still outputs when headphones are plugged in so I'll say yes. Though I think you'll be missing out on a certain amount of immersion in doing so.

D23

Gonna pick up Rez and Bound next..

So many games. Psvr is draining my wallet...

Plus might get a pro next month

Correct. When there's multiple specs in the same chain, HDMI will always default to the lowest common denominator.

I made this post in the "WTF Sony?!" thread. I hope this does the trick. I can't imagine the strain constantly plugging/unplugging the cables has on the output ports. And I loathe having to go behind my entertainment center constantly.
Not necessarily.

The PU box converts the image. The splitter comes BEFORE the PU so no processing is done to the split HDMI signal.

Just tested mine. My splitter works fine and doesn't muck up the image like the PU does.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
After two weeks of holiday I am finally returning home to my preordered psvr box waiting for me.

Hope I don't get sick...

dimmer

Not necessarily.

The PU box converts the image. The splitter comes BEFORE the PU so no processing is done to the split HDMI signal.

Just tested mine. My splitter works fine and doesn't muck up the image like the PU does.
I can't (won't?) comment on this without knowing the capabilities of all of your other devices in the chain.

I just noticed a hairline scratch on my left lens. No idea how it happened but we really need lens protection.
I agree. I also have two minor hairline scratches that aren't viewable in-game. However, I promptly forked over $70 for Best Buy protection. I can only see things getting worse with scratches, as well as other unmentionables, what with the device being so "mobile."

KlotePino

Next game up I'm interested in is Tethered, doesn't seem to have gotten any traction though yet. Ex evolution guys working on this and I really like the idea of a god game in VR so I really hope this is good, waiting on a few reviews to hit before getting it.

Splitters split the signal, not process them other than stripping HDCP.

You're missing the fact that there's a handshake involved when connecting an HDMI output to an HDMI input where it talks about what's allowed for the signal. Because of that, a splitter will talk to the two devices and the lowest denominator will be what the PS4 puts out as a result so a splitter won't work because the Processor Unit told the PS4 to have a signal that won't include HDR. So at that point, that non HDR output will be split by the splitter. So you're right it doesn't process the signal, but by the time all the talking is done, it'll already be the worse output by the time it splits it.

I looked into this and aprrantly the splitter defaults to the lowest signal for both outputs or something.

I just bought a female to female HDMI coupler so I can just plug the two hdmi cables from the processing box together to bypass it for HDR.

You're missing out on 3D audio (in addition to the social screen, obviously) when you do that, right?

You're missing the fact that there's a handshake involved when connecting an HDMI output to an HDMI input where it talks about what's allowed for the signal. Because of that, a splitter will talk to the two devices and the lowest denominator will be what the PS4 puts out as a result so a splitter won't work because the Processor Unit told the PS4 to have a signal that won't include HDR. So at that point, that non HDR output will be split by the splitter. So you're right it doesn't process the signal, but by the time all the talking is done, it'll already be the worse output by the time it splits it.
Unsure about HDR as I don't have anything HDR capable, but as far as I know (maybe m0dus can comment), the HDMI signal isn't converted until the PU does its job. It takes whatever signal it gets then converts it.

For 99.9% of consumers without HDR, the PU reduces bit depth per pixel, the PS4 does not do this beforehand, the PU does this before it outputs. The image sent to the PU is not the same as what it puts out. The splitter before the PU will have what the PS4 spits out and not what the PU does because that is AFTER the chain.

I bought some sea-bands from Amazon and they arrived today. I've had a beer already and it's not 6pm yet, so it's pointless trying them today. Will update on motion sickness when I've given them a whirl.

Does the normal headset come with the Demo disc? Obviously it doesn't come with VR Worlds but I mean the large demo disc.

Oh, and my old PS3 Move controllers should work fine, right?

I'm finally diving in today, decided to pick it up.

ViolentP

Does the normal headset come with the Demo disc? Obviously it doesn't come with VR Worlds but I mean the large demo disc.

Oh, and my old PS3 Move controllers should work fine, right?

I'm finally diving in today, decided to pick it up.

Comes with a demo disc. It's also downloadable for free. PS3 move controllers also work fine. Camera however needs to be a PS4 model.

Unsure about HDR as I don't have anything HDR capable, but as far as I know (maybe m0dus can comment), the HDMI signal isn't converted until the PU does its job. It takes whatever signal it gets then converts it.

For 99.9% of consumers without HDR, the PU reduces bit depth per pixel, the PS4 does not do this beforehand, the PU does this before it outputs. The image sent to the PU is not the same as what it puts out. The splitter before the PU will have what the PS4 spits out and not what the PU does because that is AFTER the chain.

Well the two biggest problems is HDR and Deep Color. Even if you don't have an HDR set, if you have a set bought over the last decade, it's possible it supports Deep Color. On the PS4, the setting for Deep Color is either Automatic or Off. So the handshake will default to Off since the Processor Unit doesn't support it and it will be the lowest common denominator. Either way, despite splitting the signal, the handshake is what kills the settings for the output for the PS4 which in turn hurts image quality because it's not setting the output to be the best possible.

I haven't noticed any tracking issues, but I've read enough anecdotes that say a full power down of the PS4 can fix it if it does happen. That's pretty annoying if so. Wonder if it's some sort of memory leak issue. I wouldn't mind powering down all the time, except I've found that the Moves won't charge via my Anker charging hub. And they'll only charge via my Anker powered USB hub if it's actually connected to a powered-on computer source like a laptop, smart tv, or the PS4. Simply plugging it into something like an Apple USB wall adapter doesn't work. So I set the PS4 to always supply USB power during rest mode so the Moves can charge overnight after playing. I don't know why the moves require a computer source when the DS4 charges just fine from any USB power. Actually the DS3 behaves the same as the Move, so I guess it's a limitation carried over from the PS3 generation since Sony didn't update the Moves at all, including the use of mini-USB instead of micro.

Moreche

Something I've noticed is that RGB mode on my PS4 defaults to Full when set to automatic even if I set my TV to Limited when using the PU. It doesn't do that if I run the PS4 directly to the TV.

The psvr arrived a day before I moved house so I didn't really get a proper chance to play it when it arrived (quick go of battlezone and something else). I also had to spend the last week moving in, unpacking and cleaning the old place for the handover so I finally got a chance to give the vr a proper go today.

Loved it, didn't get as hot this time so no fogging. Haven't got any games yet so just playing some demos.

Kitchen - short but very cool
Rush of blood - really fun, probably gonna pick that up when I can.
Thumper - seems great, simple but very engaging and pretty plus with my ps4 gold headsets on It sounds great.
Tumble - another simple but fun game.
Driveclub - not a huge racing fan but plays great.
Riggs - gonna take some getting used to but seems really fun.
The platforming mini game for playroom vr - loved this, looks fantastic and plays really well and a real shame it's not a full game.
Wayward sky - looks great and seems a lot of fun.

Had no sick feeling on any of the games so I'm really pleased about that. Can't wait to see what comes out down the line and to try some full games when I can pick them up.

Se_7_eN

I don't know if the PSVR movement is for me... I won the Taco Bell bundle and used it once, it is amazing, but I don't find gaming very relaxing with that headset on.

I am debating on selling it, but the experience is fantastic... I know I will regret it if a good survival horror game comes out, but the extra funds would be helpful for a new PC build / GTX 1080.

Hale-XF11

I don't know if the PSVR movement is for me... I won the Taco Bell bundle and used it once, it is amazing, but I don't find gaming very relaxing with that headset on.

I am debating on selling it, but the experience is fantastic... I know I will regret it if a good survival horror game comes out, but the extra funds would be helpful for a new PC build / GTX 1080.

lol, I have the same dilemma. I was all excited that I won, but since I don't have a PS4, I'd have to buy one. Then I got to thinking about selling it and using that money plus the money I would spend on a PS4 and build myself a new PC instead.

Well the two biggest problems is HDR and Deep Color. Even if you don't have an HDR set, if you have a set bought over the last decade, it's possible it supports Deep Color. On the PS4, the setting for Deep Color is either Automatic or Off. So the handshake will default to Off since the Processor Unit doesn't support it and it will be the lowest common denominator. Either way, despite splitting the signal, the handshake is what kills the settings for the output for the PS4 which in turn hurts image quality because it's not setting the output to be the best possible.
Again, the PU does the processing. It accepts whatever input you throw at it. The signal out of the PS4 is whatever you set it at.

I said earlier I tested it.

Splitter: RGB Full
No splitter (using the PU): Limited

The image sent from the PU is still limited because the signal isn't processes UNTIL it hits the PU - that's it's job, to wrap the image for a normal screen.

So firt chain when my 2nd splitter comes in I'll switch HDMI ports on my switch for social screen via PU or regular PS4 use bypassing the PU.

I can't test HDR since I don't have a capable set.

Moreche

Again, the PU does the processing. It accepts whatever input you throw at it. The signal out of the PS4 is whatever you set it at.

I said earlier I tested it.

Splitter: RGB Full
No splitter (using the PU): Limited

The image sent from the PU is still limited because the signal isn't processes UNTIL it hits the PU - that's it's job, to wrap the image for a normal screen.

So firt chain when my 2nd splitter comes in I'll switch HDMI ports on my switch for social screen via PU or regular PS4 use bypassing the PU.

I can't test HDR since I don't have a capable set.
I've just placed an order for a 1 into 3 splitter and extra HDMI cable. So i should run the splitter from the PS4 into the PU and TV and then use the manual switch on the splitter to use whatever I want to run at the time?

rubes7844

Banned
I'm defeated. Had to unplugging and restarting this morning to get my PSVR to turn on. Wanted to play a few minutes ago and it didn't want to turn on. Back to Best Buy it goes.

So after a week of playing VR Worlds, Rush of Blood and mostly demos, I got my first few VR games from the PS Store yesterday. I went with a few cheaper ones first, so I got Tumble VR, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Batman VR and Job Simulator.

Girlfriend loves Job Simulator, very funny game, looking forward to playing that myself at the weekend.

Tumble is a cool in VR and can be pretty addictive.

Will get a few people around at the weekend to play Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, pretty fun for a party game.

Batman VR is brilliant, very immersive and just so cool to be the Batman. Would love more games like this, fully fleshed out into a longer game would be brilliant.

Can't wait to get more VR games next week when I get paid again. So many good launch games, VR is making me poor lol.
I love VR has made me so poor. 8(. So far Thumper, Music VR, Worlds, Wayward Sky, Batman and soon to be RIGS.

I've just placed an order for a 1 into 3 splitter and extra HDMI cable. So i should run the splitter from the PS4 into the PU and TV and then use the manual switch on the splitter to use whatever I want to run at the time?

There are no switches on splitters, only switches select inputs.

My chain will look like this:

from PS4 to splitter, from that splitter - one to the PU, the other to a SWITCH, from the PU to the SWITCH.

So let's say after your first SPLIT you plug one split straight into SWITCH port 1 and the other into the PU. From the PU you out to the SWITCH port 2. From the main out of the SWITCH you output to the TV/monitor/whatever

If you want to play normally, select input 1 on the switch. Social screen for VR, port 2.

My current setup until i get my second switch in:

PS4, Devkits, PC to SWITCH
Out of switch to SPLITTER
Out of SPLITTER to Capture card and the other to a monitor

When i get my second SPLITTER it will be placed after the PS4, before the PU then all else the same.

It's a mess of wires but it allows me to simply select inputs with the remote to play whatever i need.

Note: All of these are ACTIVE switches and splitters, not passive. Passives are junk. Spend the money on an active (powered) splitter or switch.

KORNdoggy

Am I the only one, who now thinks differently about the dinner scene trailer, now that I have PSVR? It was a cool trailer, but having played Kitchen - just being immersed in VR with that creepy family at the dinner table, it all sounds amazing and way super creepy...

I honestly think RE7 in VR may kill me. Kitchen was super immersive and a full game that that may be too much for my nerves. Lol.

Disktrasa

Banned
I will soon have some guest here, they are not gamers as i am, but i want to demonstrate VR for them.

I have all the demos and Batman, What do you think is the best way to go to make them go wow!!!

I thinking about maybe ocean decent first, just have the demo, then maybe battlezone and then i think that story in within with the baby closing its hand can be something?

Batman is awsome but maybe to much to deal with when i just want to show them a Quick look.

What do you gafers Think?

III-V

I am still surprised how 'old school' arcade Battlezone feels. Really fun game and brings back memories. The tank feels roomy and good when you are inside.

I will soon have some guest here, they are not gamers as i am, but i want to demonstrate VR for them.

I have all the demos and Batman, What do you think is the best way to go to make them go wow!!!

I thinking about maybe ocean decent first, just have the demo, then maybe battlezone and then i think that story in within with the baby closing its hand can be something?

Batman is awsome but maybe to much to deal with when i just want to show them a Quick look.

For sure ocean descent or VR playroom first, to make sure they can handle the most basic. Also, table VR demo is not taxing, and also the drawing app on Harmonix VR is really cool. Take it easy on Battlezone, it can be disorienting for VR virgins.

My mom really enjoyed Ocean Descent and DangerBall. Really any game that only requires the Headset with no controller is a good place to start.

Make sure you tell people they can look behind them as well, a lot of first-timers just look straight ahead and to the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom