• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

antibolo

Banned
I tried Bound yesterday (bought it during the Black Friday week).

I'm... not very impressed.

The camera control is... just not fun. I understand why it's like that but couldn't it be handled better? Having to constantly reposition it manually is really annoying, and doesn't feel good at all.

I think the game would greatly benefit from having a fixed camera position baked into the map design, based on where you are. Something like how God of War handled it.

But as it is, I don't believe it's the right way to implement a game like that in VR.

Hyper Void = pretty freak'n fantastic

so glad we got this as a ps plus freebee ... love it... hope more devs realize we don't need 1st person experiences all the time.. being able to see things in 3rd person is sooo freak'n awesome...... so freak'n awesome... now someone needs to make a 3rd person shooter vr game... something like uncharted in vr.... i would melt.

When I look at PSPlus Hyper Void it's a PS3 game...... Do I have to search out the PS4 version and that has VR compatibility?

Psykotik

werewolves within is now my favorite PSVR game.

it's hilarious when you get a good group going. i really hope the online community holds up for this game. it's so good.

Glix

I was okay yesterday. I knew I was going to my girlfriends place after work and that I would be home to play my PS4.

But today. My god, today, I know that an XWING cockpit awaits me when I get home and I am NOT OKAY.

Every minute an hour

Every hour an eternity

I CANT FUCKING WAIT LETS BLOW THIS THING AND GO HOME!

(I know there is no trench run)

Flandy

The camera control is... just not fun. I understand why it's like that but couldn't it be handled better? Having to constantly reposition it manually is really annoying, and doesn't feel good at all.

I think the game would greatly benefit from having a fixed camera position baked into the map design, based on where you are. Something like how God of War handled it.

But as it is, I don't believe it's the right way to implement a game like that in VR.

fwiw I spoke to one of the devs on Twitter he said we could get a camera patch as soon as mid December

https://twitter.com/plasticdemo/status/803513495710998528

Glix

I enjoy not moving the cam as little as possible, you get some really artistic stuff going on.

Its like playing one of the prerendered background PSone games like RE or Fear Effect.

Lan_97

Impressions

Battlefront VR
Given the possibilities here, even for a mission as short as this, I thought this was a bit bland. I did appreciate being able to push all the buttons in the cockpit.

Hyper Void
There is no spatial head tracking in this game, only rotational. Stereoscopic image alignment fucks up a bit depending head orientation when you look farther to the left or right. Otherwise, this game is pretty neat, the spaceship is cool, and it's actually a bit frustrating that I can't lean in for a closer look.

Sports Bar VR
The variety is pretty nice here, and the pool feels very good. Eventually I got used to the teleport and hulk controls. Definitely feels lonely just playing by yourself. Looking forward to the pro patch.

Kyolux

If anyone gets SportsBarVR and wants to play with someone hit me up, I gotta get my $20 worth somehow, Pool and Air Hockey are awesome by the way. I wanna try shufflepuck, chess, checkers and ping pong with someone also no AI for that. It's kinda weird that we have such a big psvr community here on this OT but people don't seem to want to play with each other :/

They added ping pong?!!! Count me in. :)

Well, next week I guess. No time to play it this week, well maybe Friday afternoon EST.

Sports Bar VR just updated with Pro support and improved darts.

Anyone had a chance yet to try it out?

Neat!

SURGEON SIMULATOR.

This is really nice news. Anyone who jumped and bought the game on Saturday quickly realized it was unplayable. The controls were impossible.

The dev's started the day by posting this on Reddit:
Raise your hand if you got it wrong! (a message from the Surgeon Simulator ER devs)

Then a little while later they followed it up with this:
Surgeon Simulator ER - an update from the dev team

You should read both posts entirely but it boils down to these fixes:
Here’s a list of things that are FIXED (but not live yet, the patch is still in QA):
One to one tracking is now a thing. There’s also a mode selection feature that allows you to play with the 2 x tracking (what it was originally), in case you preferred that.
We’ve altered the ghost hand a little, as it was appearing too often. You should see it less now.
Issues with the circular bonesaw have been sorted out.
Other little bugs have been fixed.

It's so cool when developers acknowledge that something is wrong and don't go hide on one of the 14 quintillion planets in the galaxy.

Un4

The X-Wing VR mission really is amazing. That alone is worth the purchase of PSVR for me.
I can only dream of a (non linear) Star Wars space sim in VR.

Kalentan

SURGEON SIMULATOR.

This is really nice news. Anyone who jumped and bought the game on Saturday quickly realized it was unplayable. The controls were impossible.

Raise your hand if you got it wrong! (a message from the Surgeon Simulator ER devs)

It's so cool when developers acknowledge that something is wrong and don't go hide on one of the 14 quintillion planets in the galaxy.

I've noticed that lot of VR devs are active on the /r/psvr

I don't think I've ever seen something like that before. Like I remember at launch they were having regular threads dedicated to asking developers questions and such.

VR dev's just seem very active in communicating with the VR community.

I've noticed that lot of VR devs are active on the /r/psvr

I don't think I've ever seen something like that before. Like I remember at launch they were having regular threads dedicated to asking developers questions and such.

VR dev's just seem very active in communicating with the VR community.

I interacted with the people who made Wayward Sky on reddit. Got to tell them it's my GOTY. That was pretty cool.

darscot

Just an update played through the RE Demo again last night and started to get the hang of it. Something must have been interfering the first time through. Still not perfect but was much better.

Star Wars is great not issue with speed for me

Kyolux

I'm gonna need some ginger if I'm going to play RE7 in VR. It's a bit too rough for me and I'm not sure why. I'm fine with everything else, even Windlands going crazy.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SURGEON SIMULATOR.

Great to read this.

So what is going to happen once we hit 200/400 pages?

Will we just use the High End VR thread?

I wouldn't mind keeping a Community thread just for PSVR given how much more activity there has been here and would be willing to do the OTs.

Kilau

So what is going to happen once we hit 200/400 pages?

Will we just use the High End VR thread?

I wouldn't mind keeping a Community thread just for PSVR given how much more activity there has been here and would be willing to do the OTs.

We get moved to community and die, unless Destiny gets PSVR support then we get 40+ more threads.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah the VR kinda needs its own OT because each separate game can't really generate enough interest on their own to be active threads.

antibolo

Banned
I enjoy not moving the cam as little as possible, you get some really artistic stuff going on.

Its like playing one of the prerendered background PSone games like RE or Fear Effect.

Oh yeah that's a better description of what I had in mind. Bound (in VR mode) should be more like that.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
SURGEON SIMULATOR.

I only played the previous one, but I thought that was the point? Sorta like Octodad? You, know... "Look at how awkward I am, lol.". No?

Keinu

The X-Wing VR mission really is amazing. That alone is worth the purchase of PSVR for me.
I can only dream of a (non linear) Star Wars space sim in VR.

This. I played through it today and was blown away. My best VR experience so far and all I could think after playing the short demo was that I wanted more of this. Please!

Shoeless

totally unrelated, has anyone heard anything about Adrift for PSVR? is it still coming?

For the moment, it is not. Though the studio did say that if you want to see the game formatted for PS VR, to make your wishes known to Sony. So make of that what you will...

I keep forgetting Rollercoaster Dreams is out in a couple weeks (it's supposedly out on Tuesday, December 20th). I read a demo is planned, so that's nice. If the demo does not nail the sense of riding a roller coaster (like Until Dawn: Rush of Blood did) or is nausea inducing, I'll probably skip the game, which would be a shame, as I absolutely love roller coasters.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/g...r_dreams_launches_october_13_on_ps_vr:7_28_16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J88s30bs6o

Philly40

I've been playing DriveClub VR tonight and just had a thought,

in about 20 years I've played driving games, from arcade to sims, not one has ever replicated the feelings of driving uphill / downhill like VR can.

Codiox

The pro patch for sportsbarVR is soo awesome. Also love the content update here. Played for over 2 hours with one stranger chess and checkers and talked about VR and games etc. I think I've got a new game buddy.

The pro upgrade got higher resolution, much better lightning and reflections. The move controller glows and reflects on the table / beer bottles etc. Really cool.

Also the EVE pro patch is awesome. It was one of the worst aliased games out there, but they fixed it with the pro. It's super clean now.

The Pro is really made for VR. Not so much for 1080p stuff I think.

Maligna

Banned
Holy fuck. Just played Star Wars again and turned off all HUD elements, turned off the screen edge darkening when turning and made sure to actually use my targeting computer... Wow, so much more awesome. I really felt like I was there this time.

Can't believe the targeting computer is functional. What a great touch. Felt especially cool to use it in the final assault when you take the Star Destroyer head on.

Flandy

The pro patch for sportsbarVR is soo awesome. Also love the content update here. Played for over 2 hours with one stranger chess and checkers and talked about VR and games etc. I think I've got a new game buddy.

The pro upgrade got higher resolution, much better lightning and reflections. The move controller glows and reflects on the table / beer bottles etc. Really cool.

Also the EVE pro patch is awesome. It was one of the worst aliased games out there, but they fixed it with the pro. It's super clean now.

Yoo that sounds rad for Sports Bar
Fuck it buying it. Only $10

Sports Bar got Pro support! It doesn't detail what it is, though.

Yoo that sounds rad for Sports Bar
Fuck it buying it. Only $10

What the hell. I had to buy it with Pro support and being 50% off.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Best Buy finally stocked some games so I could take advangage of B2G1+GCU.
I got Battlezone and Eve: Valkyrie. Eve took the slot that I had reserved for The Last Guardian. Not paying more than $10 for TLG until they fix their shit, at least on Pro.
Also, Sports Bar get.

Someone said that you could run X-Wing Mission as standalone so I deleted Battlefront. That was bullshit. Now I have to download and patch Battlefront again. Whee.

Flandy

/r/PSVR won't shutup about Werewolves Within so I'm gonna take the dive since I have some PSN bux in my account

Lol I think you're looking for hulk mode, which you activate by holding down both move buttons. This lets you reposition the world around you.

Thanks

Briarios

So, I got my Collective Minds PSVR Showcase Charge & Display Stand today after it being on back order for awhile. It's pretty great, actually. Getting my controllers, moves, and headset somewhere organized and in one place? Love it. The charging seems to work fine and everything is solid. For $35, it's easy to recommend if you're looking for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom