• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Splinter

Entirely depends what kind of games you like. I got PSVR for stuff like Rigs and Resi 7. Eventually I'll get a move for Rush of Blood and maybe Batman, but those games still feel as gimmicky to me as when motion controls first released (which is fine - I got PS Move when it released and enjoyed my time with it).

To me, all games can be enhanced by VR. Motion controls are no exception to this, but are still an inferior input method for 99% of the games I enjoy.

*Splinter

Actually I'll walk that statement back a bit. Once VR is wireless I will be more interested in a move+nav controller style set up. Head aiming is not very natural (since you effectively aim with your neck rather than your eyes).

Planet

the Sony fans said it is a good move.
There is no "the Sony fans" regarding any opinion. This Sony fan also said it makes no sense to enforce either control method. It all depends on the game.

There are games where it makes sense to support DualShock as an alternative, for those that don't have them yet, to postpone the investment. E.g. Until Dawn Rush of Blood does work, though it is clearly better with Moves. Other games make no sense with DualShock, and then there are games that make no sense with Moves. Just let the developer decide, but if DualShock is somewhat feasible, it should be in. And I guess this is exactly Sony's stand.

PJV3

Despite some of the flaws and cheaper looking bits of the experience I really liked the apollo 11 vr experience. If that space in capsule/lander is to scale then it was different to how I imagined it, some sections were almost emotional(I'm not sure if that's the right expression for it).

VR is leaving me with all these strange, almost memories of events I wasn't at like landing on the moon, I fucking love it.

bennibop

Is anyone having issues with Lethal VR? When the game loads the gun is on my head and I cannot do anything! Am I missing something??

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There is no "the Sony fans" regarding any opinion. This Sony fan also said it makes no sense to enforce either control method. It all depends on the game.

There are games where it makes sense to support DualShock as an alternative, for those that don't have them yet, to postpone the investment. E.g. Until Dawn Rush of Blood does work, though it is clearly better with Moves. Other games make no sense with DualShock, and then there are games that make no sense with Moves. Just let the developer decide, but if DualShock is somewhat feasible, it should be in. And I guess this is exactly Sony's stand.

Well, precisely. Thats what we argued: that forcing both gamepad and motion control is wrong, but they insisted its a good thing because gamers has more option, but in fact its giving the devs less option. Devs should have the freedom to decide which type of inputs work best for their game and not get forced to adhere to the lowest common denominator (gamepad). That gamepad is not the answer to everything especially in VR.

WITHE1982

Actually I'll walk that statement back a bit. Once VR is wireless I will be more interested in a move+nav controller style set up. Head aiming is not very natural (since you effectively aim with your neck rather than your eyes).

I agree. Head aiming is something I tend to hate in VR. That's one aspect the PS Move shines at.

If you've not had a chance to try out a set of Move controllers with PSVR I'd urge you to do so to see the difference it make in the level of immersion attained.

Probably not worth spending $60/£40 on at the minute though. Prices are pretty scandalous considering I got mine for $10/£8 each pre-owned a few years ago.

KORNdoggy

I completely get that it's not the same as a VR video. I guess I just didn't expect it to be so underwhelming in comparison to VR content. I honestly think it will be better to watch the regular Blu-Ray version of Jurassic World on my regular TV with actual sound.

most "3D" movies now aren't even real 3D. they're shot in 2D and made 3D. faked basically. it's a very underwhelming effect imo. like shallow layers sliding across each other. pick up a couple movies or documentaries that are shot with 3D cameras and it will be far more impressive. just don't expect anything in the same realm as VR

most "3D" movies now aren't even real 3D. they're shot in 2D and made 3D. faked basically. it's a very underwhelming effect imo. like shallow layers sliding across each other. pick up a couple movies or documentaries that are shot with 3D cameras and it will be far more impressive. just don't expect anything in the same realm as VR

Or CGI movies? I bought a bunch of cheap pixar/disney 3d movies, they should look pretty good right?

Alas my PS4 still doesn't want to read any movie on BD or DVD, fw 4.5 didn't change a thing. Guess I'll have to factory reset that shit and try again ;(

Taker666

Virry VR is now available in the EU/UK. £7.99 in the UK.

Trailer here-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZor4dzeC5c

Virry VR is the ultimate virtual safari. Head to the African savannah to play with wild animals in their natural habitats. Filmed on location in 4K VR, Virry takes you so close to real animals, you can practically feel their breath on your neck.  

Play 3 ways:
- Live-Action Interactive Experiences. Shake your controller to tempt a lion with meat, feed an elephant, stalk a zebra, or share a mud bath with a rhino.
- Immersive Relaxation Experiences. Not ready to mingle with monkeys? Revel in the beauty of an African river. Calming sounds and sights will transport you to a new happy place.
- Live-streaming Experiences. HD cameras installed at Lewa Conservancy in Kenya capture real animals as they live and play, 24/7.

Virry VR was created working with Lewa, one of the foremost game reserves, making a real impact in the lives of endangered animals.

Play now: Lion, Monkey, Zebra, Elephant, Hyena, Leopard, Rhino
Play soon: Giraffe, Cheetah, Baboon, extreme Elephants

KORNdoggy

Or CGI movies? I bought a bunch of cheap pixar/disney 3d movies, they should look pretty good right?

Alas my PS4 still doesn't want to read any movie on BD or DVD, fw 4.5 didn't change a thing. Guess I'll have to factory reset that shit and try again ;(

should be good. they usually re-render them for 3D. some might cheap out though and just do it in post. i think there is a list on wiki which moves are shot in 3D and which aren't. most of the marvel movies, for instance, aren't.

mclem

Out of interest - with the controller talk above - what's out there that makes use of double-move controllers?

(And, for that matter, does anything use the navigation nunchuk?)

*Splinter

Out of interest - with the controller talk above - what's out there that makes use of double-move controllers?

Most of the on rail shooters (like Rush of blood) use dual moves I think? Batman does too.

The nun chuck is not supported at all.

WITHE1982

duel move games include:

Job Simulator, Batman Arkham VR, Rush Of Blood, Ace Banana, Loading Human: Chapter 1, PSVR Worlds, The Brookhaven Experiment & Wayward Sky.

There may be more but that's all I can think of.

Ok more newbie impressions-

Why the heck was I grinning from ear to ear going through the playroom? All of these games have simple mechanics and usually wouldn't see the time of day, but slap a coat of VR paint and they're surprising engaging experiences. The platformer in particular gave me hope to seeing Mario hopping around in all his VR glory one day. But there's some IPs I'd love to see getting this kind of treatment. Jak/Dexter. Ratchet and Clank. Little Big Planet. Rayman just off the top of my head.

A Ghostbusters experience seems like the natural evolution of the ghost-catching game. I really like the social element of these games because I've been concerned that VR was too much of an isolating experience. At times I've actually felt a little odd playing because when I put on the headphones and get into it, I really do lose all sense of what's going on in the real world around me.

I'm really looking forward to VR indie development, as I feel there will be more experimentation and whimsical games of this nature beyond stuff like FPS and cockpit simulators which are the more obvious uses for VR.

KORNdoggy

Ok more newbie impressions-

Why the heck was I grinning from ear to ear going through the playroom? All of these games have simple mechanics and usually wouldn't see the time, but slap a coat of VR coat and they're surprising engaging experiences. The platformer in particular gave me hope to seeing Mario hopping around in all his VR glory one day. But there's so much potential for platforming using these medium. Something like little big planet seems tailormade for it.

I'm actually really looking forward to VR indie development as I feel there will be more experimentation and whimsical games of this nature beyond stuff like FPS and cockpit simulators which are the more obvious uses for VR.

if you like the platformer in playroom VR check out bound. so far it's the closest thing to it, but i'm hoping we get something more substantial later. VR mode for crash would be good. or ratchet and clank, it's just unlikely to happen with such a small install base. it's a lot of work for a market so small.

if you like the platformer in playroom VR check out bound. so far it's the closest thing to it, but i'm hoping we get something more substantial later. VR mode for crash would be good. or ratchet and clank, it's just unlikely to happen with such a small install base. it's a lot of work for a market so small.

Thanks I'll check out Bound. Yes I edited my post and mentioned Ratchet, Crash would be a good use as well. Heck, if not a full on game I wouldn't mind even a VR mode added to the existing Ratchet and Clank game from last year.

WITHE1982

Thanks I'll check out Bound. Yes I edited my post and mentioned Ratchet, Crash would be a good use as well. Heck, if not a full on game I wouldn't mind even a VR mode added to the existing Ratchet and Clank game from last year.

Maybe you could also check out Mervil's: A VR Advanture. Just like an old school Mario, Spyro or Croc but in VR. Around 8 hours long and full of the usual platformer tropes (ice world, desert world, lava world, coins to collect etc...).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJL1aTtDU8k

If I have a 3D movie on USB/external HD, will the media player show it in 3D like 3D bluray... Specifically through the PSVR headset? Or will it show it in 2D or not show it at all?

kinggroin

Banned
Pretty much. Maybe setting the cinema mode screen to the largest possible size will help?

Edit: I will say the depth of the 3D movie I did watch didn't seem very strong compared to my 3D TV, so I wonder if there's something else going on. 3D movie depth is pretty much set in stone as far as I understand, so I'm not sure what's different.

The 3D Blu-ray feature doesn't live up to the hype. Scenes that look like they go back miles into the distance on my projection setup look ten feet deep in the headset.

YES!!!

I thought I was going crazy!

On my Samsung Plasma, the 3D effect is really almost breathtaking at times, even with tacked-on 3D films.

On PSVR, not only is the picture quality horrible (extremely elevated black levels, horrible banding, low resolution) but the actual depth is well, shallow. The images don't really pop whatsoever.

To put it another way; my TV is like the 3DS with the slider maxed out while PSVR is like the slider is a slight notch above on.

Blegh

cakefoo

Entirely depends what kind of games you like. I got PSVR for stuff like Rigs and Resi 7. Eventually I'll get a move for Rush of Blood and maybe Batman, but those games still feel as gimmicky to me as when motion controls first released (which is fine - I got PS Move when it released and enjoyed my time with it).

To me, all games can be enhanced by VR. Motion controls are no exception to this, but are still an inferior input method for 99% of the games I enjoy.
If you like FPS's, you should visit a Vive owner and try Arizona Sunshine, Onward, etc. Motion controls are the definitive way to play VR FPS's, but you will only get a partial experience with PSVR due to the lack of 360 Move tracking.

The 3D Blu-ray feature doesn't live up to the hype. Scenes that look like they go back miles into the distance on my projection setup look ten feet deep in the headset.
What's the virtual size and distance of the screen in the media player? The bigger and further away it is, the more the 3D should decompress.

Kyolux

I just bought Moana on 3d bluray, will give that a shot as my first 3d bluray in VR tonight.

I also got Farpoint with aim controller bundle pre-ordered for $99 CAD.

If you like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia check out the Project Badass VR short on Jaunt VR. The visual quality is shit but I was loving it beside that. I cant wait until that sort of thing becomes full length as standard and at the quality of the music experience thing that was released a few weeks back.

Joystick

Hands On Dev video Interview, PS VR "Persistence."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFRFr9yK7e8

PS blog article:

Survive PlayStation VR’s newly-announced sci-fi horror, The Persistence

You’ll play onboard The Persistence, a research vessel sent to study a collapsing star. When an experiment triggers a catastrophic failure, the ship’s computer attempts to save the day by reconstructing the deceased crewmembers. Unfortunately, it also introduces hideous errors in the process, transforming them into gibbering mutants. Oops!

Playing as a crewmember awoken from cryosleep, you’ll navigate the doomed ship, try to get the engines back online, and escape the ravenous clutches of the nearby black hole.

No release date yet.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ewly-announced-sci-fi-horror-the-persistence/

joeblow

Here's an interesting perk in the latest PSVR firmware update mentioned at the official Euro PS blog that I hadn't noticed anywhere else:

...if your PS VR screen size is set to Small or Medium, the framerate of content viewed in Cinematic Mode goes up from 90Hz to 120Hz with this update.

I imagine that is for both 2D movies and games.

Really looking forward to Farpoint.

Nice. It looks really good.

Maybe you could also check out Mervil's: A VR Advanture. Just like an old school Mario, Spyro or Croc but in VR. Around 8 hours long and full of the usual platformer tropes (ice world, desert world, lava world, coins to collect etc...).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJL1aTtDU8k

Oh neat! Didn't even know this existed, I missed this one getting announced and going up.

Been playing the awesome Psychonauts VR in-between Horizon/Zelda/Nier.

TheMan

I take back what I sai about littlstar. Ain't perfect, but one you get the file names figured, those vids are pretty awesome. It's like getting your own private lapdance.

Tested out a 3D Blu Ray finally on PSvr and was a bit underwhelmed. Granted it was Guardians of the Galaxy so not sure how that stacks up as far as 3D Blu Rays go but it almost looked like it was just set on different layers. It was ok but the drop in resolution was very noticeable compared to just watching it in normal 2D 1080p Blu Ray.

I used to large screen setting on the Psvr and it does a decent job of replicating a large screen. I usually play on a 124" screen anyway with a Benq W1070+ and it is pretty much the same size on PSVR by the looks of things but the dip in resolution is noticeable compared to my projector.

As a cheap way of getting a big screen effect I suppose PSVR is a decent option and I am looking forward to the next iteration of the PSVR with higher resolution screens as then I'm sure it will be pretty much perfect.

Did you play Headmaster already? It's the perfect example of how to make head-aiming feel natural, but of course, that might also be due to the nature of the game.

muteki

Had more 3D blurays than I thought. Watched the firs fight in Pacific Rim and thought it was great, from someone that usually has issues watching them in the theater or my tv with glasses. Heatset still drifts left though :(

Cyriades

I take back what I sai about littlstar. Ain't perfect, but one you get the file names figured, those vids are pretty awesome. It's like getting your own private lapdance.

large.gif

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I've only watched Dr. Strange in 3D, but it seemed to me like the large screen really diminished the 3D effect. Medium looked a lot better, imo.

OMG, thank you. I only tried it on Large before. The depth is much closer to what I'm used to on the smaller sizes.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I sold my PS VR recently, waited for VR for over 20 years, I can wait a little longer, it works but I found the whole thing a little cumbersome, the setup took over my lounge with all the extra wires and box etc, I found the headset quite heavy, you definitely get that initial wow factor, mainly the sense of scale, but after a week it felt pretty normal and then it was all about the software which I found quite limiting really, end of the day it works, I like it, I'm eager to try the 2nd generation of headsets.

tr00per

Man I am glad I waited to play bound in VR.

I think it's going to take me a while though. I can't stop admiring every new area from every possible angle lol.

Having a life size playable character in front of you is a really cool experience.

Having so much control over the camera makes me feel like a cinematographer!

Bravo, Plastic

Edit: I wish somehow they could release linger in shadows and especially datura in vr. I also would love if there was a different VR menu for the console and it was based on Bound. A menu floating above the sea of voxels with that music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom