• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyriades

I beg to differ. 1080p videos look awful due to pixelation.

Why does some VR 1080p videos pixelate while other are clear? 1080p is not the overall cause of pixelation. I've seen some VR youtube(of all places..) content look super clear. Maybe its how the video is made .. codecs etc

Krisprolls

Banned
1080p videos don't look pixelated at all on my psvr on ps4 pro. Just slightly blurry obviously.

Don't know what's the problem here. Mostly tried Naughty Penguins 1080p videos, they're not pixelated at all.

bumpkin

I really need to get Dirt Rally. I recently got Playseat Challenge and Thurstmaster T300 too. I enjoy Driveclub VR, but I admit that environments do not look all that great in that game.
What's nice is the VR isn't relegated to a subset of features. You can literally play any mode/track in VR.

I really need to get Dirt Rally. I recently got Playseat Challenge and Thurstmaster T300 too. I enjoy Driveclub VR, but I admit that environments do not look all that great in that game.

I mentioned a few posts above that Dirt VR is the one game that made me quite sick.
(Tried it a few times with not good results on my Pro, and with a wheel setup). Needless to say quite disappointing.

The update to that is that Sony gave me a refund for the VR dlc purchase. I just had to call the toll free number specific for VR support issues. So if people have a problem with these games (in North America anyway) it seems they are willing to credit your money if it "causes discomfort". I had owned the dlc for about a week, customer service was quite understanding.

Planet

Eagle Flight is discounted in Europe PSN for just 4 days now, down to €25 (from €40). At this price I am somewhat tempted.

Anyone able to share the current multiplayer status? Is it dead already there? That would diminish its value for sure. That said, if it is, it's not for lack of trying on Ubi's side, because they even implemented cross platform online play, which deserves some praise. Sure, there was too little marketing, but it is a difficult market still with a relatively small target audience.

karasu

It's been a few weeks now and I haven't gotten sick yet. I'm playing Eve Valkyrie, Dirty Rally, Rush of Blood, and some other shit. What's messing me up are the menus in some of these VR games. I get so lost in there. Especially in EVE.

I've used YouTube and Littlestar for video and the 3d 360 ones are kind of amazing. people are all up in my face though. Is there a playlist or link people use to watch VR video?

Before I invest in some 3D Blu-ray movies I'd like to test the 3D effect if I can (I'm using my PSVR on a PS4 Pro). Are Blu-ray quality 3D clips something that can be downloaded and viewed off of a USB stick? If so can anyone recommend any family friendly videos?

It's been a few weeks now and I haven't gotten sick yet. I'm playing Eve Valkyrie, Dirty Rally, Rush of Blood, and some other shit. What's messing me up are the menus in some of these VR games. I get so lost in there. Especially in EVE.

I've used YouTube and Littlestar for video and the 3d 360 ones are kind of amazing. people are all up in my face though. Is there a playlist or link people use to watch VR video?

VR UI is piss poor.

I mentioned a few posts above that Dirt VR is the one game that made me quite sick.
(Tried it a few times with not good results on my Pro, and with a wheel setup). Needless to say quite disappointing.

The update to that is that Sony gave me a refund for the VR dlc purchase. I just had to call the toll free number specific for VR support issues. So if people have a problem with these games (in North America anyway) it seems they are willing to credit your money if it "causes discomfort". I had owned the dlc for about a week, customer service was quite understanding.

I almost never get sick in VR, so I am hoping that I can play it without issues.

It is nice for Sony to issue a refund. VR games really need to have demos or timed trials.

Adree

Just a heads up that Starblood Arena update in the PSVR Demo Disc is just a static scene that links you to buy the full game, not a demo. I guess they could add a demo to it later.

Ogni-XR21

Had my brother and my nephew (11) over last night. My nephew was loving it. He loved the Playroom VR games, especially "Ghostbuster" and the Sheriff game. Other than that he kept asking for games that use the move controller, even urging me to search for more titles in the store.

Now he wants a PSVR for christmas and since my brothers loved it too that might acually happen.

bumpkin

Apples to oranges but debating mervils vs Brookhaven experiment. Thoughts?
I haven't played either, but based on videos, Mervil looks like a student project. It's not very polished. Brookhaven looks really nice, but no idea if it scratches any sort of itch that something like Rush of Blood doesn't scratch already, being a scary-shit-shooting-gallery too.

Just a heads up that Starblood Arena update in the PSVR Demo Disc is just a static scene that links you to buy the full game, not a demo. I guess they could add a demo to it later.
Yeah, it was a very underwhelming addition. I was really hoping it was a demo. The videos make me wonder if the game is going to be barf city for me, so being able to give it a test drive first would be ideal.

I'm kind of disappointed with the real games in vr coming up in the future, I need more triple AAA titles like re 7. Most games coming up are low budget or mini games. Anyone considering selling it or are you expecting more games announced at E3?

karasu

Alright, I finally cracked open Rush of Blood. That giant pig shit was an immediate nope. Horror in VR is absolutely ridiculous and will probably kill some poor weak hearted person one day. That's as close to absolutely terrified as I've ever been.

Dirt Rally is great but its so difficult!

Shoeless

Alright, I finally cracked open Rush of Blood. That giant pig shit was an immediate nope. Horror in VR is absolutely ridiculous and will probably kill some poor weak hearted person one day. That's as close to absolutely terrified as I've ever been.

This is absolutely guaranteed. I have no difficulty imagining that someone with a heart condition that ignores the warnings will go into cardiac arrest because of RE7, or some other VR horror game. Even VR horror videos are too intense compared to regular "flat" horror movies.

gunstarhero

It's quite good actually. Very polished, Clean graphics, simple puzzle mechanics mixed with hi-level strategic elements. I've lost myself a good hour into it.

Controls are point and click via DS4 (not the head). Sad there is no Move support. Would have been much cooler to play one-handed.

Finally got to try Dark Net out - really simply, but addicting puzzle game. It really does suck about the lack of head control - they lean heavy on the fade-in-fade-out transition method of moving instead of smoothly letting you move. I was hoping this was simply a comfort option like RE7, but sadly it's not.

Hopefully the developer patches something in -

ChouGoku

The silence about Megaton Rainfall is killing me. It's supposed to be released Q1 2017, and nothing from the dev. I don't care if it gets delayed but I want to hear something, its my most hyped VR game.

Apples to oranges but debating mervils vs Brookhaven experiment. Thoughts?

Mervils.

The better version of Brookhaven is Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. There's nothing quite like Mervils on the platform, and it's pretty darn good.

Was looking forward to this game as I love diner dash style games and my favorite part of Job simulator was pretty much this.

The developer response was troubling, though:

"@robchapman certain demands diner duo didn't live up to, code wasn't written for console and would need to rebuild much from scratch :/ "

Whenever i see announcements on UploadVR or RoadtoVR of all these interesting indie games coming only to Vive or Rift with - combined - half the PSVR install base, I was beginning to wonder if there was some other factor prohibiting these quirky titles from reaching PSVR users. I'm starting to think that getting past sony's cert or the other really strict requirements of console development is a giant metal GATE for smaller indie devs. I dunno, just spit balling, but it's really a bummer.

There are a least a dozen RIFT games alone that I'd love to see on PSVR, and I don't think we'll ever get them. Daydream will get most of this stuff before we do, which begs the question: Does the PSVR's install base even matter to most developers? I'm not too sure that most of them are even entertaining the platform.

To be honest, if it came down to more cool indie games versus more AAA "sorta VR enabled' side-mission afterthought buy my full game for this excerpt thingies" I'd prefer the indie games every day of the week.

I'm going to call it now and say that most devs aren't going to do what Capcom did. That was gloriously insane. If i had faith that the devs would try that model, essentially making TWO games simultaneously, I'd be a less worried.

However, Ace Combat VR and Gran Turismo sport pretty much tell me that we should expect more of what they're doing, ie, dipping their toes in, over what Capcom did.

More worrisome: We already know how Sony's approach. Instead of modifying or releasing a new, more versatile, better implemented VR controller, they're releasing a GUN with better controls therein. For what? More gun games. Ugh.

Sony: Open the floodgates for the indie guys. Please. We need their experiments and audacity.

Had some more games of Werewolves Within over the weekend and forgot just how much fun it can be with a good group. Absolutely threw a new guy (Watcher) under the bus though as he didn't really understand the roles and as a werewolf I claimed the unclaimed drifter role. Told the group that the new guys role wasn't in play and then hurried the group up to ready up and vote. They did ask to wait on the second gossip which thankfully didn't implicate me or go against what I had said.

Joystick

Leave the Nest announced for PS VR

Leave the Nest is the best endless flapper in Virtual Reality and is designed to reduce the risk of discomfort traditionally associated with VR. Starting with Virdy, our easy-going trainer bird, you’ll quickly learn that staying aloft is only part of the challenge, as you fly as far from your starting nest as you can; before settling your new home.

Launch your bird through the air by using the motion controllers and flapping your arms (and keep flapping). With PlayStation Move motion controllers you can keep your little bird aloft by flapping your arms to simulate their wing actions. Never fear fatigue though, as your bird has the luxury of resting their wings when they glide from zone to zone.

I'm not sure how this one will go. The gameplay and visuals are quite simple and I imagine that you'd get tired arms pretty quickly!

Gameplay trailer: https://youtu.be/kXLTRh1CrV0

https://www.playstation.com/​en-us/games/leave-the-nest-ps4/

*Splinter

WITHE1982

Eagle Flight is discounted in Europe PSN for just 4 days now, down to €25 (from €40). At this price I am somewhat tempted.

Anyone able to share the current multiplayer status? Is it dead already there? That would diminish its value for sure. That said, if it is, it's not for lack of trying on Ubi's side, because they even implemented cross platform online play, which deserves some praise. Sure, there was too little marketing, but it is a difficult market still with a relatively small target audience.

Just found out about this today so very, very tempted by this.

I have £20 sitting in my PSN wallet and don't really want to pass up on a 42% discount. Would anyone recommend the game solely for the single player? Not sure if id have time to do much multiplayer stuff.

Planet

Not sure if id have time to do much multiplayer stuff.
I think I will skip it despite the offer, because time is not the only factor preventing multiplayer stuff there. Singleplayer seems OK, but there are other PSVR games out there which might give me more entertainment on that area. Many people stated that multiplayer is the main aspect of the game, and I really think it is basically dead already. Can't tell PSN numbers until you actually own the game, but on PC, there is SteamSpy. And that tells me there are below 10(!) concurrent players at all times.

So my next investments will probably be Statik in April (€16 for pre-orders), as well as Here They Lie and Fruit Ninja as soon as they are discounted. Until then, I got Tethered to pick up again with renewed controls and improved visuals, yey! :]

*Splinter

Eagle Flight multiplayer was ok but bare bones, and always struggled to find players (although I haven't tried since it went cross platform).

The single player was better for me, but only if you don't mind open world collectathons and slightly repetitive side missions.

karasu

I downloaded some free stuff from the Japanese store. There's a crazy app that will display my phone's screen while I'm mock chilling on a Japanese beach so I was reading an ebook and soaking up the atmosphere. That was pretty crazy. The others were a Godzilla thing and a concert with that little anime girl. Virtual attendance at a concert is a really cool concept and it could be amazing.

I think I will skip it despite the offer, because time is not the only factor preventing multiplayer stuff there. Singleplayer seems OK, but there are other PSVR games out there which might give me more entertainment on that area. Many people stated that multiplayer is the main aspect of the game, and I really think it is basically dead already. Can't tell PSN numbers until you actually own the game, but on PC, there is SteamSpy. And that tells me there are below 10(!) concurrent players at all times.

So my next investments will probably be Statik in April (€16 for pre-orders), as well as Here They Lie and Fruit Ninja as soon as they are discounted. Until then, I got Tethered to pick up again with renewed controls and improved visuals, yey! :]

I didn't find Eagle Flight to be that compelling past the initial feeling of flight, CliffyB apparently was moved to tears by it tho so YMMV. I've been playing Here They Lie recently now it has the improved pro visuals and I'm pretty impressed - you never quite know where it's going to go next (creepy empty streets / jump scares / anarchy / surreal trips).

Before I invest in some 3D Blu-ray movies I'd like to test the 3D effect if I can (I'm using my PSVR on a PS4 Pro). Are Blu-ray quality 3D clips something that can be downloaded and viewed off of a USB stick? If so can anyone recommend any family friendly videos?

Do what I did - search your Amazon order history for "3D" because it's possible that one of your existing blu rays includes the 3D version.

I happened to already own Dredd which is a 3-in-1 set (BR/DVD/3D).

123rl

This was the second vr game I experienced and it fucked me up. I was drunk at the time and in a room with friends, so it was all fun. I loved it though. When I get a vr, this is top of my list.

Joystick

Korix hits PlayStation VR on 28th March

Retro-styled RTS includes campaign and both 2-4 player co-op and competitive multiplayer

my sole goal being to release a game with old-school gameplay reminiscent of RTS’s from the late 90’s on PlayStation VR

Korix has been optimised to run at 120fps natively on both PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro with those lucky enough to own a Pro seeing higher image quality through improved local shadows.

Announcement trailer: https://youtu.be/nDauwdWN3Yw

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...itle-korix-hits-playstation-vr-on-28th-march/

I don't know if the patch for Headmaster improved the tracking or balanced the game to be easier. I had tried Exam 4 a dozen times and got nowhere close. Last night, I went back after the patch and passed it easily on my third try. It seems like the balls were hitting in a much more predictable fashion than I remember. If anyone quit due to difficulty, I recommend trying again with the patch.

karasu

I think I saw a YouTube headline saying the viewers visuals got improved for non VR games. Is there any merit to that?

Something about 120hz when you choose to view things in either the Small or Medium screen size. I have no idea what that means but people seem happy about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom