• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

gstaff

ABC preview Skyrim VR (Great preview, worth watching)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYqb0f553OU

- PSMove will support free movement. He confirmed it twice at 6:40 and 9:40.
- Every features and UI are disabled in this demo, but looting and everything will be in.
- You will be looking up at the heaven to spend your skill points.
- World map is redesigned to display in front of you, something like in sci-fi movies AR map.
- You can wave at NPC.

Glad you enjoyed it :)

I don't think I said anything about waving at NPCs, but technically you can wave at them :)

The world map feels like a cool interactive war room. In the spur of the moment, the visual I had was those Attack of the Clones creatures looking at the war room map of the last battle in the movie.

Guppeth

Bought Superhot, Archangel, Fantastic Contraption and Tiny Trax in the EU PSN sale. Can't wait to play Superhot, I just hope I have enough space for it (I have enough for Job Simulator, but barely).

MattAces

Glad you enjoyed it :)

I don't think I said anything about waving at NPCs, but technically you can wave at them :)

The world map feels like a cool interactive war room. In the spur of the moment, the visual I had was those Attack of the Clones creatures looking at the war room map of the last battle in the movie.

That was just a joking point since he did wave at the NPC :D
So I would assume the summarized points are correct? Free movement with PSMove?
Also smooth camera will be in? It's awesome to hear that there will be a wide variety of options.

MattAces

Life is so unfair and cruel outside of Japan.

VR Premium Musical seems like it's only for Japan, available now.
https://www.jp.playstation.com/games/premium-musical-notes-japan-studio-music-fes-ps4/

You get the coolest avatar ever made in PSN for watching it.
20170919-japanstudio-08.jpg

Edit: It might be available for Asia after all, I might be able to die happily now if I get my Kat avatar in my main account.
Edit2: I have to open the app 30 days in a row to obtain the avatar. I'm in.

Omerta

Perfect timing for the superhot sale... I've just set my "man cave" up for a game like this.

Rather than putting my PS4 camera under/over my TV (TV north and couch south), I bought a PS4 camera extension cable and placed it east-to-west in the room. I've mounted the camera on a mic stand so I can take it up to 2 metres or all the way down...

Can't wait to try it out!

Planet

WOW! That was quick! Superhot is on sale in europe right now: €15 for the VR game alone, €25 for the bundle. Also Fantastic Contraptions and a bunch of other games, check psprices for details (you may need to adjust region).

MattAces

Just tested the VR musical festival (announced yesterday in TGS).
Holy crap it's a fantastic app.
I really hope Sony will allow a background for cinematic mode.
You are basically sitting in a hall or in the grassland watching a huge ass TV (very clear) playing the orchestra while the other huge TV are floating around combining and displaying gameplay/pictures.
It's amazing. Everything is very sharp.

Just tested the VR musical festival (announced yesterday in TGS).
Holy crap it's a fantastic app.
I really hope Sony will allow a background for cinematic mode.
You are basically sitting in a hall or in the grassland watching a huge ass TV (very clear) playing the orchestra while the other huge TV are floating around combining and displaying gameplay/pictures.
It's amazing. Everything is very sharp.

Hmm I guess I'll have to reactivate my japanese account on PS4.

As there is no tutorial in The Solus Project for the move rotation setting and does make a big improvement to the gameplay but isn't exactly obvious how it works here is a quick tip. Essentially its like an analogue but you rotate your wrist, if you want to move backwards you tilt your PDA hand back, strafe to the left you tilt it to the left, etc. Doesn't need a huge amount of motion either.

SomTervo

Think I am going to buy The Solus Project as my next Vr Game. Any impressions? Is there a retail version?

I posted a link to a Reddit post with tips here.

An important tip is that if you find the first few minutes confusing/difficult, you're best restarting and playing the first area non-VR first. Go into VR once you reach the deep caves. (Which are also atmospheric as heck in VR.)

As there is no tutorial in The Solus Project for the move rotation setting and does make a big improvement to the gameplay but isn't exactly obvious how it works here is a quick tip. Essentially its like an analogue but you rotate your wrist, if you want to move backwards you tilt your PDA hand back, strafe to the left you tilt it to the left, etc. Doesn't need a huge amount of motion either.

It's a pretty common locomotion technique used in Vive VR games. It's really intuitive once you get the hang of it.

But yes, because VR was bolted on to the game during the last couple of months of full development (like May last year) the intro and tutorial flow is a bit odd.

It's a pretty common locomotion technique used in Vive VR games. It's really intuitive once you get the hang of it.

Because VR was bolted on during the last couple of months of the game's full development the intro flow is a bit odd.

I like it but there isn't really another point of reference on the PSVR and there is no description of any sort to what it actually means. I would like it in some other games on the system as it works well.

I personally didn't find the beginning flow unusual though I'm a person that doesn't like tutorials. Only bit that I thought was strange was the difference between pick up and combine but that was only an issue for a min or two before I figured out the difference. Then it was smooth sailing but it wasn't until I accidentally pointed my hand backwards a few hours in that I realised that I had only really been using a small element of the rotation setting and instantly became a much more enjoyable experience.

MattAces

Thanks for the impressions. How did you get to try it? Do you have a JP store link? I couldn't see it.

Edit: Looks like it is free for PS+ for 1 month, 1759 yen otherwise.

Looks like in addition to VR Music Festival and News VR there will be VR Digital Theater.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-vr-expanding-additional-music-video-content/

Yea, it requires PS+ from Asia to use it.

Also I think he meant the Nico Nico VR app. In japan store, there's actually quite a lot of VR channels.

shmoglish

An important tip is that if you find the first few minutes confusing/difficult, you're best restarting and playing the first area non-VR first. Go into VR once you reach the deep caves. (Which are also atmospheric as heck in VR.)

But yes, because VR was bolted on to the game during the last couple of months of full development (like May last year) the intro and tutorial flow is a bit odd.
Hi, thank you for answering directly to my post. Saddly I have the problem that matt mentioned in his post. I tried to switch to vr mode for ~15-20 times, redownloaded the game, played the non vr mode for a few minutes to create a save game, started the console again and so on. So far nothing did help. I hope this is not a common problem, game really looks great and I hope it will work for me soon.

EDIT: It works! May post some impressions soon.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Life is so unfair and cruel outside of Japan.

VR Premium Musical seems like it's only for Japan, available now.
https://www.jp.playstation.com/games/premium-musical-notes-japan-studio-music-fes-ps4/

You get the coolest avatar ever made in PSN for watching it.
20170919-japanstudio-08.jpg

Edit: It might be available for Asia after all, I might be able to die happily now if I get my Kat avatar in my main account.
Edit2: I have to open the app 30 days in a row to obtain the avatar. I'm in.

It's available in the Singapore store too.

The orchestral rendition of ICO's ending theme literally brought tears to my eyes. Best game ever, and best ending theme ever. I'd buy a remake on day one.

More games to add to the VR collection. Picked up The Solus Project and Archangel while they are discounted. Good amount off Archangel too, so glad I waited on that one.

tr00per

Finally finished Bound the other day. Here is something I wrote just after finishing it.

I took my time with Bound in VR and I'm so glad I did. When the
choice was given
my eyes started to swell up. When the credits rolled and the music played, I had to remove the headset because I was crying too hard to see.

Bravo, Plastic. You've really outdone yourselves.

This game spoke to me in a very profound way. From a design perspective and an emotional one as well. It's not something I think I will ever forget. Such a strong reminder of why I love video games.

If you haven't picked up this game and it interests you at all, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. Especially if you can play it in VR. The camera modes really immerse you in the platforming, and can also let you feel like a movie director. And in the scenes with
the family
the sense of scale is amazing. Having a life size character in front of you (who will look at you if you face her too) is something special.

I am ready and willing for whatever Plastic does next.

(still hoping for a PSVR version of Datura :p )

Yea, it's available in Asia. I'm 19 stamps away from Kat avatar.

I think the VR Concert on the Singapore store is an abridged version. The Japanese product page you linked to said there was 2 hours of music but I was only able to listen to 30 min worth. Songs from locoroco, parappa and a few other franchises were omitted.

I'm completely confused as to what's going on. Licensing issues perhaps?

Edit: Ah... seems like the version on the Japanese PSN is the same too. "A selection of 14 tracks".
Edit2: Oh.... now I get it. There's a full 2 hour concert video and then there's a 30min '14 tracks' VR version. Silly me, I thought they were one and the same.

Sakura

Whelp, ordered a PSVR + Camera off Amazon.com
PSVR was like on sale for 299 or something. Throw the camera in and with shipping etc total price was 49,816 yen.
Price for the PSVR camera bundle in Japan is 49,980 before tax, assuming you can find it in stock, so I saved at least a few thousand yen I guess.

WITHE1982

So glad I popped in here before buying the Solus Project.

I'd hate to have sullied my experience with frustrating/obscure controls. I'm still 100% picking it up (wiith the + discount) but will play the opening in non-VR as recommended.

Game looks right up my street, and at 15h plus it'll be the longest VR game I've played by some margin. It'll probably be good practice for when Skyrim VR drops and I'll be having monster sessions.

Champloo4

Hold up, Skyrim VR does support free movement? I was under the impression it was teleport movement only. Or am I misunderstanding what "free movement" means.

Now that zone of the Enders is in the Line up i just might bite

what other up and coming games are there that were left off TGS highlights ?

I finished a non PSVR playthrough of RE7 last night. A damn good game despite the complete shit last mine section.

But, now I may replay the whole thing on easy in PSVR. Now that I know what to expect, I won't completely freak the fuck out.

black070

I lasted 10 minutes in Resident Evil 7 before bailing.. and the worst part is, nothing even happened ! I had to enter a dark room and I just noped out, it feels too damn real. I really want to keep playing since its probably one of the best VR experiences available to date, but I just can't. :(

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I lasted 10 minutes in Resident Evil 7 before bailing.. and the worst part is, nothing even happened ! I had to enter a dark room and I just noped out, it feels too damn real. I really want to keep playing since its probably one of the best VR experiences available to date, but I just can't. :(
Just dooo eeet man. Push yourself through it till you're at the point of passing out from fear jkjk. That point never comes in this game but it does get pretty fucking tense at a couple of sections.
Everyone that has RE7 needs to experience the ride in VR specifically from start to finish.

black070

Just dooo eeet man. Push yourself through it till you're at the point of passing out from fear jkjk. That point never comes in this game but it does get pretty fucking tense at a couple of sections.
Everyone that has RE7 needs to experience the ride in VR specifically from start to finish.

Ah I know what you mean, I'm already kicking myself for not pushing myself through, its ons of those experiences that I know I don't want to be skipping. I think I'll try again after a break.

ffvorax

Just keep to play until you start to find weapons... then it will be less scary. The first part is the scariest because you can just run, but when you can finally fight enemies it become more bearable.
It's really fantastic in VR, best experience for me so far. Also is a very nice game.
I think the survival part is the best (so until you got too many weapons), thx god it's not only on the start of the game (not going to spoil).

Also... Bought Superhot VR, I plan to try this and Rigs this weekend! Going back to VR! :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Hold up, Skyrim VR does support free movement? I was under the impression it was teleport movement only. Or am I misunderstanding what "free movement" means.

It supports free movement.

They are still showing the same demo from when they announced it which was made to be as easy as possible to get into for the 15 minutes the press gets with it.

The actual game is going to be the full Skyrim game with multiple locomotion options.

MattAces

This is the first time they've officially mentioned PSVR. https://twitter.com/Survios/status/910873930046611457

I have really wanted to play The Gallery. I'm guessing that also means Call of Starseed is also coming to PSVR?

Yep! Both episode coming.

So glad I popped in here before buying the Solus Project.

I'd hate to have sullied my experience with frustrating/obscure controls. I'm still 100% picking it up (wiith the + discount) but will play the opening in non-VR as recommended.

Game looks right up my street, and at 15h plus it'll be the longest VR game I've played by some margin. It'll probably be good practice for when Skyrim VR drops and I'll be having monster sessions.

I honestly think you should still give it a try.
It's $20 for a pretty full game. My several problems with the game being:
-Technical issue, slow loading, keeps crashing.
-Graphics, I never really care about graphics that much, but it is rather underwhelming that it doesn't have proper Pro support. Not the biggest issue here.
-Game is not designed with or for VR in mind. The dev clarified this multiple times too and they weren't kidding. Interacting or doing anything is unintuitive. For example in order to craft a sharp rock, you have to take a rock and bash another rock. In VR, you would think that the action required is pick up a rock with your hand, and smash the other rock. But in this case, you are looking at your Move controller in VR, there's a pointer thing and you just point at a rock while holding interact button, it will magnet to your inventory/hand. Then you look at another rock and point the cursor at it, press interact, then the sharp rock will be in your inventory. Picking stuff up also involve pointing a cursor at that item and holding trigger. Everything is point and click, you don't have a hand to pick stuff up and throw around.
-It's a survival game, the atmosphere is surprisingly great, but it's so lonely it creeped and bumped me out, the game just doesn't provide an instant gratification since you will be running around a lot. That makes me realize the reason behind so many wave shooter/short game exist in VR. You really need instant gratification or achievement in VR to not feel boring.

I would say the controller is the least problematic here, but it's just odd decision by the dev that bugs me. Personally, Arizona Sunshine Move controller scheme worked perfectly and I love it. But Solus Project is so weird, they have a button dedicated for enlarging the PDA, which turns the PDA into a huge ass calculator, it bugs the hell out of me because I kept pressing it. There's a jump button and crouch button, and yes, I kept pressing them too. You can only move with the right PSMove button and control camera with the left PSMove and the snap turning is extremely limited. If there's a simple button customization just to change a few buttons, then it'll be perfect.

cakely

The parts where you're just wandering around in an extremely realistic depiction of what feels like the worst house on the planet are scary. Movies just don't do that kind of scene justice. It feels like you're there, and that's a situation you would never actually want to be in.

Honestly, once you're actually confronting the action and the gore, it becomes less frightening. More disgusting, but less frightening. Press on!

philm87

I don't own a PSVR, but planning to get one soon. Playing RE7 through in standard at the moment and hoping it will take the edge off slightly for when I get a PSVR without ruining the experience.

Need to bring back those vibrating back pack accessories so you can feel it a bit when you're being attacked.

Top Bottom