• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

Dear Survios, (and Vertigo Games)

Why do you guys have to be so cryptic about Raw Data Pro patch. (and the promised 2 horde mode maps in AS) If it's not ready, just say so. It's like, come on. :(

Zigroid

Neo Member
I just got Megaton Rainfall, and I must be really dense! How do you reach the moon and other galaxies? I can head towards the moon, but it always winds up dead overhead, I'm barely moving at all, and all I get is a stiff neck. The quick tutorial doesn't explain any of that, but I seem to be the only one who can't do it. :(

Otherwise, Destroying cities is a great way to release some of this pent-up tension from reading the news. I love hearing the people scream when I impose my wrath on them. :)

ChouGoku

I just got Megaton Rainfall, and I must be really dense! How do you reach the moon and other galaxies? I can head towards the moon, but it always winds up dead overhead, I'm barely moving at all, and all I get is a stiff neck. The quick tutorial doesn't explain any of that, but I seem to be the only one who can't do it. :(
Play the game more

Adree

Before I buy Megaton can someone tell me if you can turn all the comfort settings off? I've seen gameplay that has all the crap I hated in Eagle Flight with constricting the screen and that's holding me off from purchasing it.

Anastasis

So how's The Invisible Hours? Looks like it would be an interesting title but $30 is a steeeeeep price.

I was up for it until I saw it was more expensive here than it is in the US. Normally a game is £24.99 if its $29.99 in the US but it's £35. They can do one.

Agreed, at 24 pound I might be tempted but no higher.

I got it and played it through in maybe 3-4 hours (two sessions). There are collectibles that I didn't go after. It is interesting, but it didn't blow me away.

Before I buy Megaton can someone tell me if you can turn all the comfort settings off? I've seen gameplay that has all the crap I hated in Eagle Flight with constricting the screen and that's holding me off from purchasing it.

Not all, it does the fade to black edge thing if you crash into something.

How is the sense of speed and flight with the comfort settings off in Megaton? That’ll be the make or break for me.

Very smooth, although it does warp and teleport you around a lot as you dont have yaw and pitch controls.

Kurdel

Banned
A bit disappointed you can’t do timetrials on vr in GT Sport. Still, the go kart is so awesome to drive.

Gonna try Megaton Rainfall now!

FDC1

I wanted The Invisible Hours but I'll wait because of the bullshit european price. I'll probably try one of this week other games.

And finished Megaton. Took me about three hours maybe. Some crashes and glitched out missions. Luckily restarting the game is very fast. And did not like the cringey vocal track that keeps looping :p

Still. Liked it a ton! Amazing VR Experience for sure. Definitely grab it when its in the 10$ pricerange.

TheMan

Disappointed with GT sport VR mode

2 laps vs slow AI
That's IT, no other driving modes
Not even an option for time trials

But hey we can take lots of stupid pictures

CEJames

So explain to me why the scale of Megaton Rainfall can be made for VR but games like No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous can't be put in VR?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So explain to me why the scale of Megaton Rainfall can be made for VR but games like No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous can't be put in VR?

MR does a lot of smoke and mirrors tricks to achieve the scale. It is very obvious and the tricks break down all the time while you are playing it. Massive pop in, very low res textures, lower resolution.

The game is a blast, but the tech is not that impressive while you are playing, and is much worse looking than Elite and MMS.

panda-zebra

MR does a lot of smoke and mirrors tricks to achieve the scale. It is very obvious and the tricks break down all the time while you are playing it. Massive pop in, very low res textures, lower resolution.

The game is a blast, but the tech is not that impressive while you are playing, and is much worse looking than Elite and MMS.

Pro or amateur?

valeu

I'm a bit disappointed with GT Sport VR. I was expecting more graphically considering there's only two cars, Polyphony are supposed to be graphics wizards, and I'm on a Pro. Inside the car is sharp, outside is super jaggy and pixelated. To me it looks like a cellphone game blown up to PS4. That said, there are quite a few tracks to unlock and play and the core game is fun. And certainly there is more content in the flat=screen main part of the game.

Meanwhile, I'm downloading Megaton Rainfall and No Heroes Allowed! They both look fantastic and impressions sound great.

ZeroEdge

Did psvr get a price drop in seeing it in CAD for only $299 for the core pack. I think I'm going to grab it I have $100 in Best buy cards and at that price I don't think I can pass it up.Any must have games I should grab with it???

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
wilflare said:
any must buys from the sale?
not sure if I'll get to them before the next sale comes around...
Too late for the sale recommendation, but get Statik*, it's worth it at any price. It's pretty much the best use of VR I've seen or done to date, and yes - I include any roomscale Vive thing in here.

*Well - assuming you're ok with puzzle-solving - it's not an action game or anything.

valeu said:
Polyphony are supposed to be graphics wizards, and I'm on a Pro
The whole "two cars" thing shows they've given little to no attention/time to VR mode - a 60fps game shouldn't need rendering downgrades for PSVR to begin with, let alone CPU downgrades, which is what the car-reduction is presumably for.

majik13

I'm a bit disappointed with GT Sport VR. I was expecting more graphically considering there's only two cars, Polyphony are supposed to be graphics wizards, and I'm on a Pro. Inside the car is sharp, outside is super jaggy and pixelated. To me it looks like a cellphone game blown up to PS4. That said, there are quite a few tracks to unlock and play and the core game is fun. And certainly there is more content in the flat=screen main part of the game.

Meanwhile, I'm downloading Megaton Rainfall and No Heroes Allowed! They both look fantastic and impressions sound great.

hmm didnt find it to be overly jaggie or pixelated, compared to other VR games. Though I found the environment to be pretty simple, and barebones. Mind I haven't played any VR game in a while, and haven't played this game in 2D.

valeu

hmm didnt find it to be overly jaggie or pixelated, compared to other VR games. Though I found the environment to be pretty simple, and barebones. Mind I haven't played any VR game in a while, and haven't played this game in 2D.

Gosh, there are a ton of PSVR games with sharp graphics. Off the top of my head, you should give Rez, Rigs, Job Simulator, Wayward Sky, Bound and Windlands a shot. GT Sport trackside detail is at PS2 graphical levels

Gold_Loot

I was just about to post how cool Megaton Rainfall is but it looks like I’ll just mirror what others are saying. This game is a blast.

Gosh, there are a ton of PSVR games with sharp graphics. Off the top of my head, you should give Rez, Rigs, Job Simulator, Wayward Sky, Bound and Windlands a shot. GT Sport trackside detail is at PS2 graphical levels

DriveclubVR may have had lots of trackside geometry removed, but I still think the trees are way better in DCVR than GTS.

And did I read correctly that you're limited to a 2 lap race? That's weak. It's like Polyphony really don't want me to play in VR.

Edit: Apparently there are events with higher lap counts.

TheMan

is it true that you can only race for 2 laps at a time, or is there another way to just drive unlimited laps?

valeu

is it true that you can only race for 2 laps at a time, or is there another way to just drive unlimited laps?

I played one that had 10 laps. The others, 2 laps.

Sorry, unrelated....holy balls! Megaton Rainfall might be the coolest game I've ever played. My jaw was just on the floor. I just did the first mission. Playing on a Pro. Game is sharp. Beautiful. The sense of scale and power that you have as a superbeing is just amazing. And 1 guy made this over 5 years? I have to know more about this guy, Alfonso del Cerro

majik13

obviously that is a pretty hyperbolic comparison, and Im not saying there aren't VR games that look better and are sharper. I have played most those games listed, though it was awhile ago.

Just pointing out with my limited play time, I found the lack of detail in the environment more prominent than jaggies or resolution. Resolution seemed mostly fine to me, maybe I was expecting worse. This is playing on a Pro btw.

I did find the stage select screen pretty jaggie though, but once playing it seemed to all go away....and wasnt even a thought. But wasn't really looking for it in the first place.

TheMan

I played one that had 10 laps. The others, 2 laps.

Sorry, unrelated....holy balls! Megaton Rainfall might be the coolest game I've ever played. My jaw was just on the floor. I just did the first mission. Playing on a Pro. Game is sharp. Beautiful. The sense of scale and power that you have as a superbeing is just amazing. And 1 guy made this over 5 years? I have to know more about this guy, Alfonso del Cerro

wait, a vr race with 10 laps?

valeu

obviously that is a pretty hyperbolic comparison, and Im not saying there aren't VR games that look better and are sharper. I have played most those games listed, though it was awhile ago.

Just pointing out with my limited play time, I found the lack of detail in the environment more prominent than jaggies or resolution. Resolution seemed mostly fine to me, maybe I was expecting worse. This is playing on a Pro btw.

I did find the stage select screen pretty jaggie though, but once playing it seemed to all go away....and wasnt even a thought. But wasn't really looking for it in the first place.

Maybe it's just me. We'll see if other people complain or if I'm the only one. For me when a car gets ahead of me on the track it loses its shape as a car and turns into blinking shapes. And when you look in the rearview mirror you can see all the folliage pop-out. I've just had my hopes up. I wish someone would convince Shuhei to give Driveclub a Pro patch.

majik13

Maybe it's just me. We'll see if other people complain or if I'm the only one. For me when a car gets ahead of me on the track it loses its shape as a car and turns into blinking shapes. And when you look in the rearview mirror you can see all the folliage pop-out. I've just had my hopes up. I wish someone would convince Shuhei to give Driveclub a Pro patch.

The side mirrors are pretty pixelated iirc, and have a very short draw distance, but I think that has been the case for many driving games since a long time. its like that more or less in the 2d version I think or at least in previous versions of the game. Could be wrong though.

bumpkin

My impressions of GTS versus Drive Club are summed up simply... The interiors and mirrors have a cleaner image quality in GTS, but the tracks look better in DC.

Just played about an hour and a half in VR with GT:S it needs a lot of work, not even close to good enough.

You feel like your in an swivel chair inside a car, its way too smooth, the cars lack weight or any feedback, my head is where my chest would be and no way to adjust this, the sounds are muted, racing doesn't contribute to your overall stats, AI is a joke and may as well not even be there.

It gets the track proportions right, the cars look decent, the depth perception is good but thats where any positives end.

It doesn't even get close to how good all the other VR racers feel, it feels like one of the cheap cash in experiences that feel overpriced at a fiver. The devs need to go play Dirt Rally, Driveclub, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2, iRacing all in VR and honestly ask themselves if what they have created is even close to acceptable. Hint: Its not and its certainly not a piece of software I'd try to push PSVR with.

The first race, Northern Isle Speedway has 10 laps. I did about six other tracks and they only had 2 laps.

Different cars have different amount of laps. I did a 2 laps, 4 laps and a 6 laps all on Brands Hatch (I been there a few times so I could directly compare it).

MattAces

22540202_1640389109338007_513295877687840471_n.jpg

MattAces

I'm putting A LOT of faith in Bravo Team.
South Park is like my all time favorite TV show, decided to skip Fractured But Whole for the meantime in favor of Bravo Team.

Supermassive you better not screw this up.

Top Bottom