• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Wonko_C

Just remembered the finger tracking Sony is working on that was revealed last year, this fits with the controller design. it would be massive if it was implemented on PSVR2.

Nah, they already said it only tracks the fingers when they touch the controller. Similar to the Oculus controllers. This tech could be for PSVR3, though.

Rudius

Not all buttons though, it lacks a d-pad for games that control best with a d-pad like Tetris Effect, but I guess the DualSense should work for those.
Dualsense already work for VR games that don't need tracking. A message appears, but you can proceed to play it.

Rudius

Small random anecdote: Back in E3 2017, before I had any real interest in VR I saw Moss' trailer for the first time. It was love at first sight and I wanted to play it so bad, but I was lamenting the fact that it was a VR-only game. Somehow at the end of the same year I ended up with my own PSVR. (no, it wasn't because of Moss or any game in particular, I don't even really remember, I think I just saw a chance and took it.)

Played it last week and loved the game. Very well made and beautiful looking. I don't know if they are already making the next Moss, but they should copy Zelda even more, with different items and abilities you can unlock.

Timmeehh

Neo Member
I'm on the fence. Don't classify myself as a 'hardcore gamer', hell, I just played Horizon for the first time last month. But I can get a full PS VR set for €120, which seems a nice deal. I'm not sure though, with PS VR 2 coming next year.. Decisions desicions..

Amiga

Nah, they already said it only tracks the fingers when they touch the controller. Similar to the Oculus controllers. This tech could be for PSVR3, though.

If they just apply limited gestures like open/closed hand and pointing then it would great and better than pressing buttons and makes interaction more instinctive.

Romulus

I'm on the fence. Don't classify myself as a 'hardcore gamer', hell, I just played Horizon for the first time last month. But I can get a full PS VR set for €120, which seems a nice deal. I'm not sure though, with PS VR 2 coming next year.. Decisions desicions..

Wait. While that's not a bad deal at all, the PSVR2 upgrade will likely be 2 generations ahead of PSVR1. Easily.

If you can't hold out and you really want to try VR, Quest 2 is the way to go.

there's something seriously wrong on the world when a top AAA game like Hitman in VR is not being talked about

it's absolutely the best looking game ever in VR, has tons of great little interactions here and there and aiming a gun, swinging a golf club, taking camera shots, punching or using the wire all work as expected, despite the wonky ds4 tracking. Don't sleep on this gem. I'm new to the franchise, very positively surprised and delighted that it's less about straight shootouts and more about exploring your surroundings to discover pieces of narrative and crucial items to plan ahead the assassinations. All the narrative threads and events going in parallel can get quite complicated to follow at first - a game made with much replay in mind, as a puzzle being approached from many different angles...

Wonko_C

there's something seriously wrong on the world when a top AAA game like Hitman in VR is not being talked about

it's absolutely the best looking game ever in VR, has tons of great little interactions here and there and aiming a gun, swinging a golf club, taking camera shots, punching or using the wire all work as expected, despite the wonky ds4 tracking. Don't sleep on this gem. I'm new to the franchise, very positively surprised and delighted that it's less about straight shootouts and more about exploring your surroundings to discover pieces of narrative and crucial items to plan ahead the assassinations. All the narrative threads and events going in parallel can get quite complicated to follow at first - a game made with much replay in mind, as a puzzle being approached from many different angles...

Disgusting how some flatties outright prefer to play it non-vr **coughIGNcough**

Rudius

This games could benefit a lot from a PSVR2 port. Having two hands with perfect tracking while maintaining the analogs for movement would make it more enjoyable and natural, not to mention the increase in resolution and FOV (confirmed by Sony) to deepen the immersion.

Romulus

This games could benefit a lot from a PSVR2 port. Having two hands with perfect tracking while maintaining the analogs for movement would make it more enjoyable and natural, not to mention the increase in resolution and FOV (confirmed by Sony) to deepen the immersion.

FOV is increased with PSVR2?

Rudius

FOV is increased with PSVR2?
"We’re taking what we’ve learned since launching PS VR on PS4 to develop a next-gen VR system that enhances everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience."

I expect not something extreme like the Pimax devices, but about 20% improvement, similar to Index.

first review for psvr Doom 3:

overall, yes: Dr Beef mod running on Quest is a more refined VR experience, including full 3D cutscenes and actual hand to interact with stuff like your tablet, the flashlight and monitors and levers.

But performance on psvr is just better, even with penalty of shadow projections missing on Quest.

I'd say it's a very rushed and lazy port by Archiact and with an urgent issue that should be fixed: the scale of the world is off, an issue that was present in a couple of past psvr games. Don't these bastards even test what they're porting?

This issue aside and the laziness for easy money, Doom 3 plays and feels great in VR. Their main argument that it's an old game not made for VR holds no water, but that's just the kind of crap I've come to expect from indie shills more interested in minigames like Gorilla Tag than actual big games...

Rudius

first review for psvr Doom 3:

overall, yes: Dr Beef mod running on Quest is a more refined VR experience, including full 3D cutscenes and actual hand to interact with stuff like your tablet, the flashlight and monitors and levers.

But performance on psvr is just better, even with penalty of shadow projections missing on Quest.

I'd say it's a very rushed and lazy port by Archiact and with an urgent issue that should be fixed: the scale of the world is off, an issue that was present in a couple of past psvr games. Don't these bastards even test what they're porting?

This issue aside and the laziness for easy money, Doom 3 plays and feels great in VR. Their main argument that it's an old game not made for VR holds no water, but that's just the kind of crap I've come to expect from indie shills more interested in minigames like Gorilla Tag than actual big games...
Some are saying the game is blurry. Maybe it hasn't gotten a Pro patch. The 2D cutcenes are disappointing, but since it's Doom I can look past it, but blurry graphics suck. I'll wait for some patches.

Some are saying the game is blurry. Maybe it hasn't gotten a Pro patch. The 2D cutcenes are disappointing, but since it's Doom I can look past it, but blurry graphics suck. I'll wait for some patches.

it's basically a game from PS2 era, should be crisp even on slim. The bad scale bothered all who steamed it.

rushed lazy port. I'd wait for a fix and a sale.

TriSuit666

Banned
3D cutscenes in the Dr Beef port are a bit jarring for me, but then again I'm struggling with motion sickness with it, so it's probably that - same for RTCW. :(

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's odd that the scaling is off on the PSVR port. It's fine on the Quest version

3D cutscenes in the Dr Beef port are a bit jarring for me, but then again I'm struggling with motion sickness with it, so it's probably that - same for RTCW. :(

there you have the option to turn off 3D on cutscenes.

we're paying here a heavy price for a shoddy port with no such options and with plenty of issues. Now I begin to agree with UploadVR's score... Meh

Rudius

it's basically a game from PS2 era, should be crisp even on slim. The bad scale bothered all who steamed it.

rushed lazy port. I'd wait for a fix and a sale.
To be fair, it was a high end PC game at the time, so closer to PS3 then PS2. But I agree it should look sharp even on the slim. They say it's lower resolution than VFR, and that one looks better.

Wonko_C

To be fair, it was a high end PC game at the time, so closer to PS3 then PS2. But I agree it should look sharp even on the slim. They say it's lower resolution than VFR, and that one looks better.
LOWER THAN VFR WTF? I've seen that game dropping res so hard it looks like 320x240 smeared with vaseline sometimes.

LOWER THAN VFR WTF? I've seen that game dropping res so hard it looks like 320x240 smeared with vaseline sometimes.

that's amazing, indeed VFR wasn't the sharpest thing around, but as one of the games on psvr with actual modern graphics, I could overlook it.

I don't know what kind of black magic IOI employed to make Hitman work on psvr. Even with occasional pop in, it's not just good looking as heck in colors, lighting, textures or geometric detail, it's also one of the smoothest and most crisp games on psvr. I think anyone who got their hands in those technical trade secrets would meet with instant death...

Hitman 3 Dubai mission is free to play:

great time to check what you've been missing in VR. Forget about the shoddy port of Doom 3 for awhile and go play this modern game in an outstanding port for the aging psvr.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Hitman 3 Dubai mission is free to play:

great time to check what you've been missing in VR. Forget about the shoddy port of Doom 3 for awhile and go play this modern game in an outstanding port for the aging psvr.

Need to download the PS4 version on PS5 to get vr I take it?

Mephisto40

It looks great running on my PS5, not sure where people are getting blurry from, unless it looks significantly worse on a base PS4

This is the first PSVR game I've played on my PS5 and I was pretty blown away by how much sharper the game looks to what I was used to on my PS4

Wonko_C

Finished downloading the Hitman 3 starter pack and I don't see any option to play it in VR. Don't tell me the trial doesn't have VR mode.

Yes, first thing I did. Apparently I'm not the only one with this issue.

Edit: The demo does not support VR. Thanks for making me delete the 100GB of FFVIIR to make space for your useless junk, IOI.

well, face it: if it had VR mode for free, all psvr users would be more than happy to just replay 1 and 2 in VR rather than buy the new game.

anyway, it's 25% off right now and I can recommend it enough. Forget about the stinking Doom 3 port and check how you do a great conversation of a top modern game to psvr.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Played it last week and loved the game. Very well made and beautiful looking. I don't know if they are already making the next Moss, but they should copy Zelda even more, with different items and abilities you can unlock.

I was bored the other day and decided to check out the VR games Sony was giving away for free so dug out my PSVR, untangled the 40 leads and set up the camera to play this and.... fucking hell... its absolutely gorgeous and utterly brilliant.

Its been ages since i played anything in VR, mainly due to it being a pain in the hole to pack-up and get out but Moss and Farpoint are without a doubt a perfect example of why imo VR is the future of gaming, on one side you have a fantastical fairy-tale world that just makes you smile and draws you in with its great puzzles and superb art style and Farpoint shows what a shooter can be like in VR.

Even with its low specs i was constantly blown away with Moss, bending over and looking down on the little characters as they went about their business, up close everything sharpens up and the detail is incredible and with farpoint walking through those canyons you get an incredible sense of scale with that massive volcano off in the distance spewing out smoke that reaches up into the atmosphere that normal 2D games simply cant replicate. Yeah i was back to being impressed as fuck with VR again.

The mind absolutely boggles at what Sony will be able to achieve with PSVR2 running on PS5, i cannot wait to see it, sorry experience it and with a single lead it'll make using it so much better.

Romulus

I was bored the other day and decided to check out the VR games Sony was giving away for free so dug out my PSVR, untangled the 40 leads and set up the camera to play this and.... fucking hell... its absolutely gorgeous and utterly brilliant.

Its been ages since i played anything in VR, mainly due to it being a pain in the hole to pack-up and get out but Moss and Farpoint are without a doubt a perfect example of why imo VR is the future of gaming, on one side you have a fantastical fairy-tale world that just makes you smile and draws you in with its great puzzles and superb art style and Farpoint shows what a shooter can be like in VR.

Even with its low specs i was constantly blown away with Moss, bending over and looking down on the little characters as they went about their business, up close everything sharpens up and the detail is incredible and with farpoint walking through those canyons you get an incredible sense of scale with that massive volcano off in the distance spewing out smoke that reaches up into the atmosphere that normal 2D games simply cant replicate. Yeah i was back to being impressed as fuck with VR again.

The mind absolutely boggles at what Sony will be able to achieve with PSVR2 running on PS5, i cannot wait to see it, sorry experience it and with a single lead it'll make using it so much better.

Yeah, VR is amazing even on PSVR at times, PSVR2 with PS5 will be like a 2 generation leap at least. The tracking, controllers, and the PS4 CPU were seriously difficult to work around for developers.

Alright

Banned
VR is getting harder and harder to put off. I had a DK2 and a PSVR (borrowed) for a while. I dipped out as it was still too new to have a library big enough to justify it (2014~)

But now? I am having to try with all the will power in the world not to buy a stinking AlienWare rig and the best VR headset on the market so that i can wonder around Skyrim.

I'll be in line for a PSVR2 on day one!

Hopefully Microsoft jump on board the VR train so i can fly around in flight-sim in VR

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
One of the best things on Moss is the storybook section where you are sat at a table within a massive hall reminiscent of the dining hall at Hogwarts and the details on the table and books around you is fantastic, the detail in the leather bound books look almost real and for such a low Res it still looks great and sharp, same with Moss itself, when you lean in real close you can see each individual little finger and toe and again all looks incredibly sharp (running on a Pro btw)

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
How does DOOM 3 VR play with move controllers without the rifle attachment thingy?

In your lap left movement right aiming?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yes, first thing I did. Apparently I'm not the only one with this issue.

Edit: The demo does not support VR. Thanks for making me delete the 100GB of FFVIIR to make space for your useless junk, IOI.

delete that previous post ya poophead i nearly jumped to turn on the pro

wait no the other guy NM

Last edited:
One of the best things on Moss is the storybook section where you are sat at a table within a massive hall reminiscent of the dining hall at Hogwarts and the details on the table and books around you is fantastic, the detail in the leather bound books look almost real and for such a low Res it still looks great and sharp, same with Moss itself, when you lean in real close you can see each individual little finger and toe and again all looks incredibly sharp (running on a Pro btw)

I mean, it's a game from early 2018 and Farpoint from 2017 and you only checked these now because they're free.

how can you guys complain so much about buying an expensive peripheral and then go on to completely underuse it?

bought mine Xmas 2017, very rarely goes a month without me playing it.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I know. My question is if using them in both hands is the same minus the hold it in hand gimmick (which I would ideally like but not able to)

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I mean, it's a game from early 2018 and Farpoint from 2017 and you only checked these now because they're free.

how can you guys complain so much about buying an expensive peripheral and then go on to completely underuse it?

bought mine Xmas 2017, very rarely goes a month without me playing it.
I know it's bad lol my Pro is in our drawing room, it's not a room to have a bloody messy peripheral like a PSVR and all its wires lying about so I dig it out set up for a day or two to play, the missus gives off about it lying under the telly it gets packed away and it's forgetten about until something prompts me to dig it out again like Sony's free giveaway

Dreaming about psvr2 BC:

Btw, one of the comments crushed my hopes for an emulation layer for tracking - I really thought psvr apps only got (x,y,z) data streams, but it's more primitive than that and they actually get their hands dirty directly interfacing with the camera hardware...

Sony really believes in generations and those who missed this generation of psvr really just missed it...

Doom 3 lame port got a mediocre score from IGN, but for the wrong "it's better flat" reasons rather than the crappy rushed port itself:

Btw, there's a nice poll there about movement in VR...

and this is the author of the review full of complaints about nausea saying he doesn't have nausea. Go figure:

Last edited:
Top Bottom