• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

I heard Here They Lie was not very good, but the big complaints I heard were due to the sickness people experienced. I think I've grown decent VR legs, especially after Resident Evil 7 and Farpoint using free control and smooth turning. So maybe I'll pick this up and try it! Thanks!

Here They Lie is a good game. I believe that the game has pro support now. I played it at launch, so I don't know what else has been added.

Champloo4

Superhot VR was just rated by PEGI. Assuming its release is imminent.

AWSz1vt.png

I'm seriously debating over getting a PSVR right now... Thing is I only have the regular PS4 and I'm afraid most game will look bad and/or perform badly. And I don't really want to get the pro now (still a bit expensive).

Anyone here playing VR game with regular PS4?

MattAces

I'm seriously debating over getting a PSVR right now... Thing is I only have the regular PS4 and I'm afraid most game will look bad and/or perform badly. And I don't really want to get the pro now (still a bit expensive).

Anyone here playing VR game with regular PS4?

Most people here play it on the regular. Aside from the latest Arizona Sunshine, I don't remember the last time anybody complained about graphics.

Most people here play it on the regular. Aside from the latest Arizona Sunshine, I don't remember the last time anybody complained about graphics.

How about the framerate? I'm not really bothered by fps in games in general but I think it's pretty important for VR (is it?)

Also, I have the camera from the PS move on PS3. Does it work for PS VR ?

MattAces

How about the framerate? I'm not really bothered by fps in games in general but I think it's pretty important for VR (is it?)

Framerate is a minimum 90fps/120fps. There has never been a single framerate complain around here too, aside from, again, Arizona Sunshine which was promised to be fixed in the upcoming patch waiting for approval by Sony.

Only one or two games actually upgrade 90fps to 120fps on Pro.
Other than that, generally Pro upgrade is higher resolution, anti aliasing and remove those blurry tint.

Framerate is a minimum 90fps/120fps. There has never been a single framerate complain around here too, aside from, again, Arizona Sunshine which was promised to be fixed in the upcoming patch waiting for approval by Sony.

Other than that, generally Pro upgrade is higher resolution, anti aliasing and remove those blurry tint.

Alright thanks! I'm going to try it this weekend (but this will be on a Pro :/)

MattAces

Alright thanks! I'm going to try it this weekend (but this will be on a Pro :/)

I upgraded from standard to Pro and honestly I couldn't really tell the differences after playing some games. I guess all I can say is, playing on Pro felt better...? Everything felt more natural for sure. But that is during the first few months of PSVR release, when Pro wasn't really utilized. Some of the later games like RE7 and Farpoint Pro upgrade is pretty significant.

Then again, there's a lot of games that doesn't support Pro and I thought they looked fantastic, some of the sharpest graphic PSVR game in fact. Like Mortal Blitz, Dick Wilde, Fruit Ninja, Wayward Sky.

you mean the minimum is 60fps.

Fox1304

I think I'm going to skip Arizona. Price point is nearly full price, and there are too many bad reviews to take a risk when I don't even have finished Farpoint which is pretty similar. With that and Superhot coming soon, it's for the better. Maybe down the line if patched, or on sale.

MattAces

I think I'm going to skip Arizona. Price point is nearly full price, and there are too many bad reviews to take a risk when I don't even have finished Farpoint which is pretty similar. With that and Superhot coming soon, it's for the better. Maybe down the line if patched, or on sale.

This thread is driving me insane man. I see posts like these, really made me reconsider my purchase. Then one hour later, another person will say it's so fun to blast zombie heads.
Would've been fine skipping it if Brookhaven Aim didn't delay for another 2 weeks.

I have $87 for the rest of 2017 to spend on VR games, so I must spend wisely. SuperHot VR and Theseus are locked in.

darkwing

yeah, it's the same price as Eve too

MattAces

Good choices; think I'll be getting both of those.

But aren't you tempted by Doom VFR? Skyrim?

That budget might need revisiting..

Those will be physical copy, not in my digital budget :)
I'm actually not from the US, that is why I have such a limited amount of PSN credit to spend.

It is a nightmare to be a college student who owns Switch, PS4 Pro, PSVR and PC. Pretty much gave up PC gaming now and only buy the best of the best PS4 exclusives. I'm still throwing free passes for VR games, buying stuff left and right. While my Switch sleeps in its dock ever since April. Owning a Wii U previously made Switch pretty much useless until maybe Mario x Rabbids and Mario Odyssey.

Grinchy

Banned
This thread is driving me insane man. I see posts like these, really made me reconsider my purchase. Then one hour later, another person will say it's so fun to blast zombie heads.
Would've been fine skipping it if Brookhaven Aim didn't delay for another 2 weeks.

I have $87 for the rest of 2017 to spend on VR games, so I must spend wisely. SuperHot VR and Theseus are locked in.

As one of the louder voices saying Arizona is terrible, I will say that it plays better in single player than multiplayer. I personally bought it for co-op with the AIM controller, which is exactly what is missing.

It's a complete mess for multiplayer. The animations of your partner and the AI both get messed up. The person who hosts the game controls everything, including enemy spawns. So things can get buggy unless you just constantly follow behind him. Your bodies will often overlap each other and parts of his character model will annoyingly block your view.

The AIM support is just one separate mode of the single player campaign. You cannot use 2-handed guns in co-op for the campaign or horde mode. The only time you get to actually take advantage of your AIM controller is in the normal difficulty 2-handed campaign. All other difficulties/modes are one-handed guns only.

IMO, spending $40+tax on this game if you're on that kind of a budget is a mistake. I'm purposely avoiding talking about tracking, because it can vary from person to person. Let's just pretend it tracks beautifully. I just don't find the game itself good and the shooting isn't very satisfying, like in Farpoint.

MattAces

As one of the louder voices saying Arizona is terrible, I will say that it plays better in single player than multiplayer. I personally bought it for co-op with the AIM controller, which is exactly what is missing.

It's a complete mess for multiplayer. The animations of your partner and the AI both get messed up. The person who hosts the game controls everything, including enemy spawns. So things can get buggy unless you just constantly follow behind him. Your bodies will often overlap each other and parts of his character model will annoyingly block your view.

The AIM support is just one separate mode of the single player campaign. You cannot use 2-handed guns in co-op for the campaign or horde mode. The only time you get to actually take advantage of your AIM controller is in the normal difficulty 2-handed campaign. All other difficulties/modes are one-handed guns only.

IMO, spending $40+tax on this game if you're on that kind of a budget is a mistake. I'm purposely avoiding talking about tracking, because it can vary from person to person. Let's just pretend it tracks beautifully. I just don't find the game itself good and the shooting isn't very satisfying, like in Farpoint.

Thanks again for the impression. Yea, I do realize that I could be spending that $40 on Tiny Trax plus another VR game. But shooting zombies man. They always get me. Especially in that setting with houses and neighborhood areas.
There's a reason why Days Gone is one of my most anticipated game.

Those will be physical copy, not in my digital budget :)
I'm actually not from the US, that is why I have such a limited amount of PSN credit to spend.

It is a nightmare to be a college student who owns Switch, PS4 Pro, PSVR and PC. Pretty much gave up PC gaming now and only buy the best of the best PS4 exclusives. I'm still throwing free passes for VR games, buying stuff left and right. While my Switch sleeps in its dock ever since April. Owning a Wii U previously made Switch pretty much useless until maybe Mario x Rabbids and Mario Odyssey.

Ain't this this truth. Though I'll probably be getting a switch later this year or maybe next summer?

Grinchy

Banned
Thanks again for the impression. Yea, I do realize that I could be spending that $40 on Tiny Trax plus another VR game. But shooting zombies man. They always get me. Especially in that setting with houses and neighborhood areas.
There's a reason why Days Gone is one of my most anticipated game.

If you do buy AS, I really hope you enjoy it. There are definitely people out there who are enjoying it!

iratA

I've been in the dark, what are the must have PSVR games post REVII?

Farpoint with the AIM controller is accurate and damn immersive. Without, its mediocre. Also other games are coming down the pipeline with AIM controller support. Dick Wilde and Arizona Sunshine support it and are already out.

Also Star Trek Bridge Crew (The Multiplayer) is one of the single best VR experiences I've had, even when playing with random people online. Its way more immersive and fun than the videos make it out. Had so many laughs and the 'team work' aspect (especially with a full crew) really adds something special. AI can populate other positions if there is only two players, but its cross platform play with Oculus and Vive PC players, so the install base is good. This game is one of the most surprising hits of the year for me.

Ubi better support this game with DLC or get on to a sequel ASAP.

iratA

If you do buy AS, I really hope you enjoy it. There are definitely people out there who are enjoying it!

I'm enjoying it, but I can see its flaws too. I've stopped playing the game now though knowing that there is a patch coming to tidy up some of its issues.

Trophies have been listed for Volume VR. There was already the CODA VR expansion, but these trophies are the same as the main game. Possibly full VR support coming to the original, or a reworked VR only new release?

Trophies have been listed for Volume VR. There was already the CODA VR expansion, but these trophies are the same as the main game. Possibly full VR support coming to the original, or a reworked VR only new release?

Interesting. I'd like to see a Pro patch too. I found Coda to be rather blurry.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
It's pretty fun. I just got through
the mines
last night. It's definitely better with Moves. I just don't recommend locomotion with Moves, even though I don't like teleporting.

I mentioned in the AS thread but I moved my camera under my TV and it's way better that way, for me at least.

Still wishing I could find an Aim, though.

I just got notification that my Farpoint Aim bundle has been despatched :) Amazon UK that is, they'd missed the past 3 delivery dates due to lack of stock and hadn't even given me a new date when I'd get it. I'd just given up too and ordered Bridge Crew, looks like I'm gonna be spending some time in VR again :)

Jeevez

I've been trying to find options for games that support cross play since I got the PSVR and a friend got the Vive. Information is spotty, so I thought it would be good to update the wikipedia game list with a column that identifies if a game has VR cross-platform support.

The wikipedia page is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_VR_games

The number of games seems very limited from what I've found. The only games I've identified so far are: Eagle Flight, Eve: Valkyrie, Star Trek: Bridge Crew, & Werewolves Within. Sports Bar VR sounds like it's in the works but not live yet.

Is there any games I've missed?

Glix

Hey guys I follow this thread somewhat closely and haven't seen any impressions for that Paperboy-esque game that came out a few weeks back. Special Delivery maybe its called?

Anyway, anyone buy it/try it? Its a cool idea, but I'm not sure of the execution.

Sorry if this was already covered and I missed it.

Reallink

I upgraded from standard to Pro and honestly I couldn't really tell the differences after playing some games. I guess all I can say is, playing on Pro felt better...? Everything felt more natural for sure. But that is during the first few months of PSVR release, when Pro wasn't really utilized. Some of the later games like RE7 and Farpoint Pro upgrade is pretty significant.

Then again, there's a lot of games that doesn't support Pro and I thought they looked fantastic, some of the sharpest graphic PSVR game in fact. Like Mortal Blitz, Dick Wilde, Fruit Ninja, Wayward Sky.

Render resolution trumps all in VR, most of the simpler games are probably supersampling. Farpoint doesn't even appear to manage 960x1080 on Pro much of the time, it looks sub-native upscaled. Neither does RE7.

Grinchy

Banned
Is it me, or is the PSVR library actually damn awesome these days? I didn't imagine it would get so much support so quickly lol. I really want one!

I've always been pretty impressed. I thought it had a great launch, too.

I was keeping a close eye on the VR scene, and the PSVR lineup was (IMO) way better than any other platform's VR lineup.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm getting so close to pulling the trigger on the Aim bundle on Amazon. I'm kinda holding out until it hits $150 again. I'm never gonna find one in the wild. It just ain't happening, guys.

I check every single day!

majik13

Hey guys I follow this thread somewhat closely and haven't seen any impressions for that Paperboy-esque game that came out a few weeks back. Special Delivery maybe its called?

Anyway, anyone buy it/try it? Its a cool idea, but I'm not sure of the execution.

Sorry if this was already covered and I missed it.

I think there was some review links posted here. I only read 1 I think. I beleive it got a 6/10 maybe? Mainly for the bike controls. In that its like steering a boat. Cars and obstacles come out really fast and there is no way to actually avoid them in time.

Turkoop

Banned
Arizona Sunshine from PSLS
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/06/27/arizona-sunshine-psvr-review-zombie-cast-away-psvr/
7/10

Pros includes
Precise controls with DualShock 4, Move, and Aim
Varied gameplay new areas, gunplay, and hordes

And they weren't kidding. Look at the gameplay video, he was able to use the sniper with near zero wobble/shaking and shooting pistol with the iron sight.
I am very very close to clicking buy now.

How can this be, I had a lot of tracking issues and sometimes I couldnt hit zombies who were in front of me

ckohler

My buddy and I played some co-op PSVR last night. Here are some impressions on some recent titles:

Arizona Sunshine

It's fun! We both agree that while the game is kinda janky, it's very entertaining to co-op. Watching the other player's avatar move around is so hilariously bad. We were both using smooth motion and our avatars were stuttering around and weirdly walking on their toes. However, the bad main character animations wasn't enough to take away the enjoyment we had.

• Both Aim and Move tracking was good. My friend played with Aim and I with Moves. He had a harder time opening doors, while I had a harder time picking up objects. I also couldn't move in reverse. Other than that, the controls worked quite good.
  • The game didn't seem to support voice chat so we ended up using party chat. Maybe we missed something but it was surprising.
  • Draw distance on PS4 Pro is SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER than standard PS4. I have PS4 Pro and my buddy has standard and he was telling me how he was just seeing fog not far away where I could see so much more in the distance. We recorded this for our weekly YouTube show and will demonstrate it once the episode goes up.
  • Unless we're mistaken, you have to restart the game to change controller type and any other settings.
  • Basically, the game is a blast to play but expect a lot of rough edges. There is a ton of room for improvement just in basic things like player UI

Star Trek: Bridge Crew

We'd played this before but this time we were able to play a two-player co-op session along with the new Watson voice recognition. It works AMAZINGLY well! I was the captain and he was tactical. I was barking out orders to the Helm and Engineering while he managed the rest. I can't stress enough how impressed I was with the AI voice control. Being able to say, "Make it so" and have it actually understand what I want was awesome.

Prior to the voice update, we were unable to finish a single ongoing mission. We completed two missions 100% last night. It was great.

Top Bottom