• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue Expanding Hits LA and SF Today

Loudninja

Since the launch of PlayStation Vue in March, we’ve heard a lot of requests from fans to bring our innovative cloud-based TV service to their cities. Today, I’m pleased to announce that we’re expanding into the Greater Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay Area TV markets. PS4 and PS3 users in these markets can now access the best in live TV, including local broadcast and regional sports, along with massive DVR storage in the cloud — all through PlayStation Vue’s powerful user interface. If you have an active PlayStation Vue subscription, you can also access PlayStation Vue content through our recently released iPad app.
PlayStation Vue will continue to evolve with the addition of more cities and more great content. Starting in July, we will be launching a selection of channels that can be subscribed to individually through PlayStation Vue and will be available to all PlayStation fans in the U.S. This means, you’ll be able to subscribe directly to the following networks, with or without another PlayStation Vue package.

• SHOWTIME: SHOWTIME will be available through PlayStation Vue in July for $10.99. If you’re a PlayStation Plus member, the monthly price is $8.99.
  • FOX Soccer Plus: Starting in August, Fox Soccer Plus will be available for $14.99. If you’re a PlayStation Plus member, the monthly price is $12.99.
  • Machinima: Machinima will be debuting their first premium TV channel on PlayStation Vue with exclusive content from Machinima‘s in house studio. The Machinima channel will be available later this summer through PlayStation Vue’s Elite package. The channel will also be available separately for $3.99 per month. For PlayStation Plus members, the monthly price is $1.99.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/15/playstation-vue-expanding-hits-la-and-sf-today/

Just downloaded Vue tonight to my PS4 and started my free 7-day trial.

It works exactly as advertised. Streaming quality is excellent. I can't even tell that I'm not watching Comcast via coax. It's actually pretty awesome, I am impressed.

I added some shows to my favorites and will see how well the DVR-like functions work.

The plans are a tad pricey though. I'm going to have to make some calculations to see if it's worth my ditching Comcast and TiVo.

Isn't $11 for a single channel a little on the pricey side? I know Showtime is a premium network, but still.

I cut my cable sub years ago though. HBO and AMC are probably the only channels I would consider subscribing to. Think HBO has partnered with Amazon, so that's not likely.

mcw

I'm in one of the newly-added markets and hadn't really looked into what Vue offered prior to this. I looked into it this evening, and was disappointed to see that it works just like cable: You choose from one of three packages of channels, starting at $50, and you don't get to choose what channels you get in the package. And of course you need to have fast broadband from some other provider, so if you have cable Internet then this might end up being more expensive than getting TV service via your cable company.

I'm thinking that for folks who don't have cable, nothing Vue offers will tempt them. But it might be just me.

vpance

Thread title should be updated to show a la carte. The true megaton of the conference right here.

jlevel13

They announced that you'll be able to buy individual channels now. Huge thing IMO.

Just fox soccer plus, showtime and some machinima channel as mentioned in the op, I think. The way they worded it in the conference was weird, and it would be huge if you could pick any channels you wanted, but unfortunately that's not what they are offering (yet?)...

Raistlin

Isn't there a $50 basic package that you have to buy?

Used to be.

Now you can buy packages or go a la carte. Actually I assume you can also do both. ie. if you like the base tier but just need an extra channel or two that's not part of it ... get the base tier and add your extra channels.

Basically it's completely open.

autoduelist

if it comes to Portland soon we'll likely ditch our cable. My wife has wanted us to ditch it for some time, and our contract is almost up. We only watch a handful of channels so this setup is perfect for us.

jwk94

Also, if you guys live near the markets they have advertised, then you can probably access PS Vue. I can get it here in Indiana even though it hasn't launched here.

Used to be.

Now you can buy packages or go a la carte. Actually I assume you can also do both. ie. if you like the base tier but just need an extra channel or two that's not part of it ... get the base tier and add your extra channels.

Almost completely open. YOu can't just buy select channels (except like 4 or 5) quite yet.

Josh5890

If Sony can get ESPN into the fold then I am in 100%. I have Sling which is cheaper but I would love to get CSN Chicago and other sports channels. Doesn'lt Vue include DVR functions anyway?

rykomatsu

Sucks nobody is talking about this anywhere, it's pretty interesting and I'm having issues.

What kind of issues? I noticed that the DVR function works well but the "recorded" show has missing frames once in a while.

Otherwise, the no contract aspect and variety of shows is great for me - cancelled Comcast and went to an FTTN reseller to keep my monthly cost about the same.

That said, considering limited regional availability, there probably isn't enough critical mass for a major discussion?

Lucas Sparks

Neo Member
What issues are you having? I've still got the service active on my PS4. Maybe I can help.
I get a lot of skipping on some channels/shows where it makes it unwatchable. Also lots of repeat jumps and sometimes pausing/buffering, yet I'm connected directly and have a 60mbs connection.

Also the fast forward and skip feature seem finnicky. Plus some shows just arent supported, it sometimes fails to record things and its sometimes hard to tell what exactly is live (getting used to it).

All that just makes me not interested in paying $50 a month! So much!

Absolutely love the concept though, hopefully it gets smoothed out and maybe a more affordable price.

I get a lot of skipping on some channels/shows where it makes it unwatchable. Also lots of repeat jumps and sometimes pausing/buffering, yet I'm connected directly and have a 60mbs connection.

Also the fast forward and skip feature seem finnicky. Plus some shows just arent supported, it sometimes fails to record things and its sometimes hard to tell what exactly is live (getting used to it).

All that just makes me not interested in paying $50 a month! So much!

Absolutely love the concept though, hopefully it gets smoothed out and maybe a more affordable price.

I can definitely understand how that can be annoying and make one wary of paying for it.

This may seem kind of basic, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? That may resolve a local cache issue if that's the problem.

rykomatsu

I can definitely understand how that can be annoying and make one wary of paying for it.

I think this really is one of the nice things of Vue. If it doesn't work as well as you'd like, you're not beholden to a 12 / 24 mo contract. Also, internet TV most likely means it will keep improving so 6-12 mo down the road it may be worthwhile to casually explore again too for minimal risk.

Afrikan

8.99 is a great price for Showtime.

and Fox Soccer Plus for 12.99 looks good too, without needing to subscribe to Comcast or Directv...

There is another provider that offers Beinsports (Spanish, Italian, French leagues), for like $10 a month on Android...so those two together might be great for Soccer fans who don't want to pay for cable.

Add the fact that those accounts should allow you to access Beinsports and Fox Soccer online Live Video content...would make it more convenient.

GobFather

Used to be.

Can't wait to try it. I like a la carte

Nafai1123

Banned
I've been trying it out for the past few days and I must say I'm pretty impressed. The middle package includes regional sports so I can watch the A's/Giants games which is cool. The only problem is the price in relation to Comcast bundles. Not sure if I'll keep it but it is tempting considering how much I hate Comcast.

Link

Showtime directly through PlayStation Vue as a stand-alone streaming service

Showtime will be available for $10.99 a month and PlayStation Plus members can get it at just $8.99 a month — with or without subscribing to any of the existing PlayStation Vue channel plans (Access, Core and Elite in select cities).

You can try Showtime for free for 30 days by downloading the PlayStation Vue app to your PS4 or PS3 console – just in time for the highly anticipated season premiere of Ray Donovan, which airs July 12th at 9/8c.

RedAssedApe

Banned
boo...misread this as being ps+ discount for ps vue (i.e. bundles) and not ps+ discount showtime through ps vue.

still missing abc and espn. sony pls

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/08/06/playstation-vue-launches-in-dallas-and-miami/

With the fall TV season premieres just around the corner, I’m excited to announce that PlayStation Vue is coming to Dallas and Miami. Starting today, all PS4 and PS3 owners in the Dallas-Fort Worth and Miami-Fort Lauderdale areas can choose from three PlayStation Vue multichannel packages — Access, Core or Elite — starting at $49.99.

Also, as a reminder for all the soccer fans out there, Fox Soccer Plus will be available through PlayStation Vue later this summer, ahead of the upcoming season of the UEFA Champions League. Fox Soccer Plus will be available as a standalone channel to all PS4 and PS3 users across the country for $14.99/mo. and $12.99/mo. for PlayStation Plus members.

Top Bottom