• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: "When Worlds Collide" [Insomniac game, leaked as R&C: Into The Nexus]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

you people screaming out for it to be on PS4 make no sense
do you honestly think every single person who owns a PS3 is going to go out and buy a PS4 day one
cause it aint happening
They don't need to and it isn't possible.

Day one sales will be sold out regardless because there is only a limited amount of supply in production.

This game would come out at launch though, and they could use it to bolster sales during a dry quarter later in 2014.
20 first party games.

Can I see the quote directly? Thanks.

Not that I don't believe you, I just would like to see it.

Mifune

Mehmber
Exclusives as in exclusive games or exclusives as in "we can call this Assassin's Creed DLC pack an exclusive and bump up this number right?"

I'm thinking more of the latter.

PR companies will do whatever and say whatever they think the public wants to hear when it's not the full truth.

Sony's first-party studios have 30 exclusive games in development. 20 of those are coming in the first year. Of those 20, 12 are new IPs.

So let's just chill a bit.

From Jim Ryan:
"I’m sure you heard from [SCE Worldwide Studios boss] Shu [Yoshida] that he has—just his studios—he has 30 games in development. 20 of them are going to ship within the first year of the console’s life, and of those, 12 are new IP."

Vire

Sony's first-party studios have 30 exclusive games in development. 20 of those are coming in the first year. Of those 20, 12 are new IPs.

So let's just chill a bit.

From Jim Ryan:
"I’m sure you heard from [SCE Worldwide Studios boss] Shu [Yoshida] that he has—just his studios—he has 30 games in development. 20 of them are going to ship within the first year of the console’s life, and of those, 12 are new IP."

Excellent, that's really great to hear actually. I didn't hear about this till now.

That's impressive if that's truly the case. Especially excited that more than half are new IP's.

I guess they are saving announcements for throughout the year.
This time next year, the talk of 'where are the PS4 games' is going to look melodramatic.
Yes, because PS3 NEVER had any dry spouts during the beginning days of the system.

People were excited for Haze god damnit, it was desperate times

VanWinkle

Can I see the quote directly? Thanks.

Not that I don't believe you, I just would like to see it.

It was from Sony's E3 conference. Exact quote:

Shuhei Yoshida said:
In worldwide studios, we have over 30 PS4 titles in development. And 20 of them are planned for release in the first year of the launch. We are known in the industry to aggressively foster new IPs, and we will continue this push on PS4. Out of the 20 titles that I just mentioned, 12 of them are brand new IPs.

Mifune

Mehmber
Excellent, that's really great to hear actually. I didn't hear about this till now.

That's impressive if that's truly the case. Especially excited that more than half are new IP's.

I guess they are saving announcements for throughout the year.
Yes, because PS3 NEVER had any dry spouts during the beginning days of the system.

Yep, it is exciting. So far we know about three of the new IPs.

Vire

Now does this count the Indie games that were shown or are those being self-published and not affiliated with Sony other than being exclusive?

FranXico

They have 20 exclusives planned for the first year! How many more do they need?

I keep hearing this "20 exclusives" all the time, but we only know of 5 first party launch window exclusives, plus about a dozen indie games on PSN, Is that it?

Verendus

Banned

Just a tiny bit of a difference between SCE WWS output at the moment and during the early stages of the PS3. Just saying in case you may not have noticed.

VanWinkle

Now does this count the Indie games that were shown or are those being self-published and not affiliated with Sony other than being exclusive?

Most of those are PS4-first, not PS4 exclusive. They aren't a part of Worldwide Studios.

I keep hearing this "20 exclusives" all the time, but we only know of 5 first party launch window exclusives, plus about a dozen indie games on PSN, Is that it?

No. There are just 15 that we don't know about yet.

Mifune

Mehmber

Those are being self-published. However, it would count whatever downloadable games that Sony is working on internally.

I want an action RPG where your party is Ratchet, Jak, Blasto and the thing from Jumping Flash. WORLDS COLLIDE

Captain Qwark and Blasto grudge match

Vire

Just a tiny bit of a difference between SCE WWS output at the moment and during the early stages of the PS3. Just saying in case you may not have noticed.

That's not how it works.

The reason development and games are coming out quicker now is because the tech and engines have been established for the existing generation and it was easier to make a sequel afterwords once the foundation was already laid.

Now they have to rebuild all of it over again and thus the extra lengthy development times until they have a full grasp on the system.

Most of those are PS4-first, not PS4 exclusive. They aren't a part of Worldwide Studios.

Sweet, I'm actually most excited for Hohokum more than any big AAA game coming out.

you people screaming out for it to be on PS4 make no sense
do you honestly think every single person who owns a PS3 is going to go out and buy a PS4 day one
cause it aint happening

Yes, people honestly think that 77 million people are going to buy PS4 day one.

I think they are just excited for what Insomniac could do with R+C on PS4. Is that so wrong?

That's not how it works.

The reason development and games are coming out quicker now is because the tech and engines have been established for the existing generation and it was easier to make a sequel afterwords once the foundation was already laid.

Now they have to rebuild all of it over again and thus the extra lengthy development times until they have a full grasp on the system.

Sweet, I'm actually most excited for Hohokum more than any big AAA game coming out.

No, they don't.

Lots of the work they've done had to be... Situated differently while on the PS3, but it will be easily ported to the PC.

As you've heard many companies are using the same engines going forward.

Mifune

Mehmber
That's not how it works.

Not necessarily. If you believe Cerny, On PS4 Time to Triangle is back to what it was on the PSX. Games are getting up and running MUCH faster than on PS3 or even PS2.

No Ellie, the Indie games are self-published and not part of WWS. Even better, games like PlanetSide 2 and EverQuest Next are published by Sony Online Entertainment, meaning they don't count either.

Truly exciting times.

Maybe... I dunno. Maybe this is crazy of me.

Perhaps they haven't announced everything? Call me nuts. Given there's several studios we're still not sure about.

This game isn't on PS4? What the hell Is going on! Are they serious?

This game needs to be a PS4 EXCLUSIVE! You are selling a new system Sony, step it up!

FranXico

Not necessarily. If you believe Cerny, On PS4 Time to Triangle is back to what it was on the PSX. Games are getting up and running MUCH faster than on PS3 or even PS2.

Writing a game engine is as fast again, yes. But this does not take art work into account.

Verendus

Banned
That's not how it works.

Except that it has more to do with SCE WWS being unprepared for next generation development and teething problems with the workforce. PS3 struggling with content in the early years wasn't because SCE WWS was just getting used to everything. There was a lot of work being done in maturing workforce, projects, and other issues. It was all of that combined with a new console launch that caused those problems.

The studios haven't been sitting around and chilling for the past few years because they want to re-live those times. They've been kept up to date with the development of the PS4 console and a lot of them are already prepared to show off their projects. It's the preparation which is important. Just because it's a new console doesn't mean it has to be a reset button so we have to wait a few years for them to get their act together. That's the whole point of preparation, to avoid that.

So no, they don't have to rebuild everything. Things are a hell of a lot easier right now than they were 7 years ago.

Vire

Every single generation console makers say "it'll be easier than ever before to develop games and the tools are better than ever". I've been here before and heard it before, we'll see I guess.

It may be easier since the PS4 architecture is much closer to a PC than the PS3 was however. New technology still needs to be implemented, if you don't think engines need to be re-written you are crazy.

That still doesn't discount that most games coming into a new generation are new IP's which inherently take longer than sequels.

If its as great a "A crack in time" was them I'll be there day one. But their are three things I'll love to see in a new Ratchet & Clank game.

1. Resistance 2 style co-op using creatures, Races, and Robots from the R&C universe.
2. More RPG elements. I'd kill for a Action adventure Zelda style RPG set in the R&C universe.
3.Bring back the small planets and world's from ACiT.

Writing a game engine is as fast again, yes. But this does not take art work into account.

So true. I love Cerny, but it's real proper bollocks to say PS4 games will take the same time as PSone games.

To be fair, I think the point was it takes a shorter time to be at the stage where you can draw a triangle, as opposed to the PS3.

That's not how it works.

They don't actually. Naughty Dog and Quantic Dream both use their existing engine and pipeline. They just upgrade it to PS4. Other devs probably do the same. Also Sony owns more studios now then they did at the beginning of the PS3 I think and they are better established as well.

Sony wasn't prepared at all for PS3. You can clearly see they are now when looking at their PR etc.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Every single generation console makers say "it'll be easier than ever before to develop games and the tools are better than ever". I've been here before and heard it before, we'll see I guess.

It may be easier since the PS4 architecture is much closer to a PC than the PS3 was however.

That still doesn't discount that most games coming into a new generation are new IP's which inherently take longer than sequels.
Cerny said PS4 saved them a whole year of development on knack and the Octodad team ported the game in a week.

FranXico

No, but it will still speed up development, right?

Not to prolong the OT (maybe this discussion deserves its own thread?), but it doesn't make a big difference for AAA titles, since there, the vast majority of man hours are put into level and art design anyway. And QA, unless you're Bethesda.

The "time to triangle" metric will, however, prove crucial for mid-tier and indie games. This probably was where Cerny was trying to get at.

Vire

They don't actually. Naughty Dog and Quantic Dream both use their existing engine and pipeline. They just upgrade it to PS4. Other devs probably do the same. Also Sony owns more studios now then they did at the beginning of the PS3 I think and they are better established as well.

Nate Wells on some Gametrailers podcast said that Naughty Dog is already having to learn new software and implement new technology.

There is startup time for a new generation, no matter how streamlined it may be for the PS4.

It's just the way it is. There's no magic switch that just says "Hey turn it into a PS4 game now" on their engine.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Surprising move. I'd be even more surprised if they announced Naughty Dog's other team has been working on a PS3 game too, but I can't imagine that happening.

It may be easier since the PS4 architecture is much closer to a PC than the PS3 was however. New technology still needs to be implemented, if you don't think engines need to be re-written you are crazy.

please provide a link where someone has said that about a sony or nintendo console.

Mifune

Mehmber
It was in his PS4 talk, but it's VERY unclear to many what he's talking about. And it certainly could appear that he was saying PS4 games will take considerably less time than PS3 games to develop.

Which is of course not true.

It could be true. He himself estimates that PS4 development has saved him a year on Knack.

wouwie

3 years ago, i would have been ecstatic about a R&C reveal. At this point, i'm looking forward to it but i'm keeping my expectations in check. The last two R&C games have been dissapointing and not what i expect from an R&C game. In fact, Insomniac's last 6 or so games have been very uninteresting.

I hope this is a return to the stellar quality of the first 3 R&C PS3 games. I also hope this will be a proper planet hopping 3rd person single player free camera adventure in the same vein as Tools of Destruction and Acit.

Also, very dissapointing if this isn't a PS4 game. It doesn't make any sense to me to release a new R&C on PS3. We had 5 ps3 games. Time to move on.

I'm convinced that a new (and hopefully spectacular) game on PS4 is what this franchise needs right now. A PS4 R&C has always been somewhat of a dream for me. I'm convinced that it would stand a far better chance sales-wise on ps4 compared to ps3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom