• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic unveils Yooka-Laylee (Banjo Kazooie successor) [Kickstarter LIVE - Funded]

illusionary

My Kickstarter boxed PC copy and retail PS4 copy both arrived today - with some bonus art cards accompanying the PS4 copy, unexpectedly (I'm looking to sell/trade my European PS4 digital key, if anyone's interested). Also unexpectedly (and pleasantly), the Steam key redeems as the Deluxe Digital edition; given the Kickstarter update about the digital rewards being delivered separately via BackerKit, I'd assumed that it would just be a standard edition key.

I need to get a move on and finish Zelda to make some room! I'll try to make at least a little time for Yooka-Laylee this evening...

SAs2kQ5.jpg

Edit: wow, those credits are long... I dread to think how long they'd take to run through without the fast-forward that's available! I've managed to find myself, though.

Edit #2: did we ever establish the relevance of that "favourite colour" question in the BackerKit survey?

bumpkin

My Kickstarter boxed PC copy and retail PS4 copy both arrived today - with some bonus art cards accompanying the PS4 copy, unexpectedly (I'm looking to sell/trade my European PS4 digital key, if anyone's interested). Also unexpectedly (and pleasantly), the Steam key redeems as the Deluxe Digital edition; given the Kickstarter update about the digital rewards being delivered separately via BackerKit, I'd assumed that it would just be a standard edition key.

I need to get a move on and finish Zelda to make some room! I'll try to make at least a little time for Yooka-Laylee this evening...

SAs2kQ5.jpg

Edit: wow, those credits are long... I dread to think how long they'd take to run through without the fast-forward that's available! I've managed to find myself, though.

Edit #2: did we ever establish the relevance of that "favourite colour" question in the BackerKit survey?
Are you located on the US? If so, what state?

I'm still waiting for my backer copy to arrive (in NH). :(

bumpkin

I feel like every time I back something on KS and opt for a physical tier, I get boned. The game is out, it's in stores, people who may not have necessarily backed it are playing it now, and here I am still waiting for my copy of the game. FML.

I mean if I had chosen digital and not Switch - even though I was in for Wii U - for my extra digital copy, I wouldn't be in this situation, but still.

Eusis

After watching for a few minutes...it's so similar to Banjo Kazooie, is that even allowed?
Microsoft allowed it on the Xbox One and promoted it so obviously!

Microsoft probably doesn't care for many reasons (stand to gain nothing, would just gain ill will, do not personally give a damn) and is more than happy to not only let it slide but help it get published. It's not as if they want to get in the 3D platformer business after all.

Lucumo

Microsoft allowed it on the Xbox One and promoted it so obviously!

Microsoft probably doesn't care for many reasons (stand to gain nothing, would just gain ill will, do not personally give a damn) and is more than happy to not only let it slide but help it get published. It's not as if they want to get in the 3D platformer business after all.
No idea whether this was coming to a Microsoft console or not.

Yeah, but still. Normally, companies clamp down on these things, so as to not give an example for other people.

Eusis

No idea whether this was coming to a Microsoft console or not.

Yeah, but still. Normally, companies clamp down on these things, so as to not give an example for other people.
They could have sorted it out before launching the Kickstarter and I get the impression Microsoft is really friendly there, they obviously have issues but in this regard they're far from how Nintendo can be. Nevermind that Nintendo's attempt at this with the FE creator's game only worked by causing protracted court fights, not from having a legal right.

Also, in case you didn't notice the big reason this topic keeps coming up is because the game's just come out. Going by your posts I'm not sure if you knew that or not, if you did sorry for stating the obvious.

Lucumo

They could have sorted it out before launching the Kickstarter and I get the impression Microsoft is really friendly there, they obviously have issues but in this regard they're far from how Nintendo can be. Nevermind that Nintendo's attempt at this with the FE creator's game only worked by causing protracted court fights, not from having a legal right.

Also, in case you didn't notice the big reason this topic keeps coming up is because the game's just come out. Going by your posts I'm not sure if you knew that or not, if you did sorry for stating the obvious.

I know it has come out for the PC. But it's not a given that the companies knew how close it would be copying Banjo-Kazooie (and I'm not talking visually). Like, it goes above being a "spiritual successor" which I actually thought it would be.

bumpkin

Are people still waiting on physical backer copies. I thought for sure it would arrive today.
The post office attempted to deliver mine today, and just as I feared, they came before me or my wife were home. They left a slip saying I can pick it up from the post office tomorrow after 8am. Guess I'm making a short detour on my way to work in the morning.

So, FWIW, it looks like they used the US Postal Service for the packages.

EDIT: Popped over to the post office this morning and picked it up... It's so beautiful...

Can't wait to get home from work later so I can give this sucker a whirl!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
US west coast... still waiting on my copies :/ Sure wish I had a tracking number to see where it is/if it got lost in the mail...

Edit: Came in, package badly damaged, but games were fine.

Anyone in the US (focusing on the west coast...) receive theirs yet?

Little late to the party on this, but mine arrived two days ago. A little disappointed that the soundtrack wasn't in its own CD case, but not a huge deal. Arrived in better condition than I was initially expecting given that the shipping box was a bit beat up.

Ashtrax

Anyone in Australia received their physical backer copy yet? Not sure who it transfers to here, and god forbid half our local delivery groups suck at their jobs.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Thank you WillyFive, Maxcriden and Hydruxo!

I double dipped and bought the PC version and it is glorious, just wanted to find out the Switch version so I could send it to my brother who has a Switch.

maxcriden

Thank you WillyFive, Maxcriden and Hydruxo!

I double dipped and bought the PC version and it is glorious, just wanted to find out the Switch version so I could send it to my brother who has a Switch.

It's ok bro, I also have an XB1. So you can just send me that kind.

Still having a blast with this after getting 15-20 pagies on the first three worlds. Onto my second quiz.

It's no Banjo Kazooie but it's definitely more fun than Tooie. Which is alright with me 😎

EDIT: Whoops, meant to post in the OT

bumpkin

No one knows yet. They probably started working on it when they cancelled the Wii U version, so it may still be really early.
The Switch supports Unity though, right? If that's the case, I don't suspect that it's a tremendous rewrite/rework to port it. I'd be happy with even a general "when" like summer or fall. Not having any idea whatsoever is frustrating.

I've played the game all of about 2 or so hours since release, not because I don't like the game, but because playing on my MacBook Pro is the pits. The frame rate is crap if I don't run it at the lowest settings with reduced resolution, and having a laptop in my lap with a Dual Shock 4 connected via USB makes it extraordinarily uncomfortable.

Top Bottom