• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plex confirmed for Xbox One

does xbone have universal remote support? specifically harmony products?

even if ps4 gets dlna and plex, it will still suck more than ps3 because in its current state i can't use my harmony remote with it (HDMI-CEC sucks so don't tell me to use that).

That is one convenient (but kinda weird) thing about the Xbox One: I can end up using my controller, my voice, smart glass, or my harmony remote to control it, all at different times. Each has its pros/cons, but it's nice that they're all valid to use whenever the situation calls for it, heh.

I've tried Plex as a media server on the PS3 and xBox 360, its just not as stable as a dedicated app like on the Roku and other devices.

Additionally, I am happy but surprised they are doing this. Seems like consoles these days want to try to lock you into purchasing media from them rather than give you ways to access media you already own.

Great news, makes me more likely to buy a xBox One

The comment was a few months old, but as I said, this is much more preferably. It just was possible to do so.

mike4001_

The Plex Beta itself is currently somewhere between "almost" and "ready", with updates sticking firmly to the "first rule of fight club" PR methodology. All indications have been that it should be 'sometime this year', but I wouldn't be expecting it before Microsoft has properly released the Media Player out into the wild (semi-educated guesswork and consensus pins 'November-ish').

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/104978-plex-for-xbox-one-is-a-go/page-53

mcrommert

Banned
This will probably work like the plex app for plexpass on android. Anyone can download but it won't do anything unless you have plexpass

Holy shit, Plex is coming! Amazing.
People like to complain about how plex wants the files named and organized.
I recommend using filebot to help out with sorting and naming, pretty amazing really.

Great. I'm sure I'm not the only one without Plexpass that wants to ensure this meet certain standards before paying for it though. Could someone here do a brief report on what it can play *without* transcoding? My little fileserver is not up to the task of on the fly transcoding, nor would I want it to anyway for qualitys sake.

Hopefully they have most mkv profiles working natively, I do wonder how it will handle subs if not transcoding though.

mcrommert

Banned
Entrecôte;133098383 said:
Great. I'm sure I'm not the only one without Plexpass that wants to ensure this meet certain standards before paying for it though. Could someone here do a brief report on what it can play *without* transcoding? My little fileserver is not up to the task of on the fly transcoding, nor would I want it to anyway for qualitys sake.

Hopefully they have most mkv profiles working natively, I do wonder how it will handle subs if not transcoding though.

That stuff isn't publicly known...i will say that it shouldn't be an issue with this particular player

Plexpass also just doubled in price. Meant to buy it before the price hike just in case of this but forgot to.

Edit: doubled for lifetime pass

tmtyf

i shoulda bought the plex pass when it was 75 lifetime last week D:. hopefully they dont make people without the pass wait too long to buy it

mcrommert

Banned

For those wondering this is based on plex home theater which is based on xbmc....it should be able to play most files without transcoding...some will require remuxing

mrklaw

MrArseFace
depending on how much this can play without transcoding, it might allow me to retire my mac mini (running plex server currently) and move my server to my NAS. I've always been missing a decent TV client

wonder if it'll just be local content or if it will have channels and queued videos? I like being able to queue up youtube content with the chrome extension

Very awesome, wish I would've got the plex pass lifetime subscription before the increase. How long is this gonna be exclusive to plex pass users? Probably gonna join for a month right now.

So is this from that one guy who was working on it? Or did Plex actually work on their own also? Or perhaps they "bought" or partnered up with their community member who was making it since they made it clear he did not represent Plex?

Top Bottom