• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PodcastGAF |OT|

Highlights:
Illusion - Historical stories on swindles, cons, and "impossible things", from the Turk machine to stagecraft
Houston, We Have A Podcast - A space podcast straight from NASA's Johnson Space Center
The Sound of Fear - An interesting miniseries exploring the evolution of music in horror movies from the 1920s to today

Educational
Illusion
Farming God
Hidden History of Lost Angeles
Classical Classroom

Science
Houston, We Have A Podcast
Countdown

Journalism
Road Trip Radio
The Stoop

Gaming
Playable Characters

Audiodramas
Steal The Stars

Film/TV/Music
The Sound of Fear
Blank Check
The Rewatchables

Tech
Hackable?

Current Events
The New Washington

Miscellaneous
Imaginary Capital Partners
Conservations With People Who Hate Me

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I randomly added The Rewatchables three days ago and listened to their Moneyball episode. I thought it was good. Glad to see another poster mention it.

Hackable, I have listened to I think two episodes, hasn't really caught my attention yet.

I will definitely be checking out those NASA/Space podcasts.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Another podcast I have recently discovered is Ear Hustle. It is a podcast that is run by a prisoner. He gives his point of view and answer questions from listeners. He also conducts interviews of other prisoners.

I will definitely be checking out those NASA/Space podcasts.
My favorites are:
Cosmic Vertigo
Orbital Path
Spacepod
Are We There Yet
The Scientific Odyssey (general science history, but a lot of episodes have a space theme, like Galileo's struggles with the Church or Hershel's discovery of Uranus in the 1700s)

Cracked Gets Personal is really quite good. I think hosts are paired perfectly because they can't keep up banter for very long.

I hate host banter.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
My favorites are:
Cosmic Vertigo
Orbital Path
Spacepod
Are We There Yet
The Scientific Odyssey (general science history, but a lot of episodes have a space theme, like Galileo's struggles with the Church or Hershel's discovery of Uranus in the 1700s)

I will be checking them out. I love Cosmic Vertigo.

Today's Cracked podcast features almost everything I hate that could possibly be in a podcast: live show, unfunny guests who think they're funny, uncontrolled guest banter, jokes that they just won't let go of and keep trying to build on, and audience participation. The only thing missing is it also being about music.

Griegite

still a junior
If you enjoy musicals, you might enjoy 36 Questions. It's short (3 episodes) but well done. It also has King George from Hamilton as the male lead as well. I definitely have some of the songs stuck in my head!

Highlights
Kill By Kill - A fun and funny deep dive through the Friday The 13th franchise
Monster Dear Monster - A series that explores the history of monsters and creatures from pop culture, like the enemies in Nioh and the vampires of 30 Days of Night and Stakeland
Library of Things - A miniseries about London's Library of Things, a library where you borrow useful items instead of books

Educational
Malicious Life

True Crime
It's About Damn Crime

Gaming
Lost Levels Club
Monster Dear Monster

Audiodramas
The Soyuz Files
Turner Masters Memory Hospital

Film/TV/Music
Kill By Kill
See You Next Wednesday

Miscellaneous
Library of Things
Strange Paths
Tangential

Highlights
Word of the Day - Gold ole Merriam Webster word of the day straight to your ears
Hanging - An investigative journalism series following the new police investigation into a 25-year old case of a young boy found hung in a family's barn
Selects - A new show with a promising premise: short selections from interesting podcasts

Educational
Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day
Philosophize This!
Digits

Journalism
The Document
Awful Grace

True Crime
Hanging

Audiodramas
SKALD
Tales of Passing Fantasy
The Theatre of Tomorrow
Fictional
Conversations From The Abyss

Current Events
Congressional Dish
Citations Needed

Miscellaneous
Selects
Why Are People Into That?!
The Rematch

Think I found my favorite podcast discovery of 2017 so far: Awful Grace

It's a journalism/interview podcast, but rather than clean narration or into-the-mic personal stories, Awful Grace takes a different approach. While some episodes have more traditional interview accounts, many of its stories are told through carefully edited audio soundscapes: the sounds of the street, 911 calls, police scanners, ambient dialogue from pedestrians, interviews and in-the-moment comments on the street.

BABABADALGHARAGHTAKAMMINARRONNKONNBRONNTONNERRONNTUONNTHUNNTROVARRHOUNAWNSKAWNTOOHOOHOORDENENTHURNUK!
An evening ride-along with a journalist responding to news of a neighborhood shooting brings in the tiniest of details that rarely show up in newspaper crime reporting. The clicks of a camera capturing the crime scene, the overheard conversations between neighbors, the music from passing cars.

Splash
”Splash" explores the romance and reality of this grim site, examining it through hotline operators, rescue workers, and a man who tracks the yearly suicides—each with a unique understanding of the fragile contract some people make with life. We also hear from Hanns Jones, a jumper who survived, about what it's like to stare down into that blue water and then step out, into the abyss.

===

Highlights
Awful Grace - Audio soundscapes and interviews that immerse you in gripping human stories and struggles
Forensic Transmissions - Excerpts from 911 calls, police interrogations, court case testimonies, and other recordings
Gangland Wire - Stories of midland organized crime and investigation from a retired Kansas City detective
The Document - Insider accounts behind documentary films

Educational
Hungry

Science
Hollywood Science

Journalism
Awful Grace
The Document
The Big Bad Wolf
The Hiss

True Crime
Gangland Wire
The History of Organized Crime

Gaming
Join The Party

Humor
Trust

Miscellaneous
Forensic Transmissions
Dear

Arkeband

Banned
A friend of mine started a podcast with another fledgling comedian/actor/UCB alumni called the Songtopsy Report, which revolves around dissecting and discussing odd, funny, or historically panned music, when it's not going off the rails into one of the co-hosts hilarious anecdotes. They've got around 15 episodes so far, their latest involves Taylor Swift's new song (their only present-day song thus far).

https://www.thesongtopsyreport.com
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-songtopsy-report-a-dissection-of-bad-music/id1247160090?mt=2

I don't know if anyone listens to Masters of Scale, but its current bonus episode run of uncut interviews is freaking fantastic--better than the actual show, actually.

I hope they change their format to this.

N° 2048

The Hilarious World of Depression
Criminal
Flash Forward
Stuff You Should Know
Stuff to Blow Your Mind

Been enjoying these lately, I recommend you folks check em out.

If someone wants to recommend me some based on those, let me know :)

scotcheggz

I've started a podcast recently, its called Dark histories and it's mostly about weird, strange and dark events in history, quite a bit of true crime stuff and unsolved murders and it touches on the paranormal at times, though I'm a skeptic so that's reflected. There's an episode about zombies in Haitian culture etc. The topics so far have been quite high profile since I started, I wanted to hit some of the bigger stuff first. I thought it might help drive a bit of traffic to begin with. I'm looking to go in a more mixed direction from now with large cultural events and localised folklore like stuff. I'm from UK, so it is a little UK-centeric but not fully and I have shows lined up that reach out from the UK too.

Anyway, if that sounds like it might be up your alley, the links are:

iTunes // Stitcher // TuneIn // Youtube // Homepage

I'll take any feedback GAFs got. I've been quite enjoying making it, finally nailed down a schedule which is nice and got some episodes banked which has been a bit of a lifesaver and far better for my mental health lol.

Izayoi

Banned
Wow, this is a wonderful thread! Thank you for keeping such an up-to-date and comprehensive list, MB!

I have been jonesing for more space podcasts and I'm glad to finally find some more variety. The ones I had been listening to before were REALLY dry, even for me, so I'm hoping to find something I like here.

Thanks again.

Wow, this is a wonderful thread! Thank you for keeping such an up-to-date and comprehensive list, MB!

I have been jonesing for more space podcasts and I'm glad to finally find some more variety. The ones I had been listening to before were REALLY dry, even for me, so I'm hoping to find something I like here.

Thanks again.
Hope you can find stuff that interests you!

Listed my favorite space podcasts earlier on this page
My favorites are:
Cosmic Vertigo
Orbital Path
Spacepod
Are We There Yet

Highlights
Centuries of Sound - A unique history podcast that presents sounds and music from each year since 1859. Speeches, music, recordings, sounds, and more
Zealot - Think My Favorite Murder, except with cults instead of murder and Australian accents
The Crate & Crowbar - A game podcast that includes the great Tom Francis

Educational
Centuries of Sound
Zealot
Gallivanting

Journalism
Sea Story
Senior (Citizen)
Alone: A Love Story

True Crime
They Walk Among Us

Gaming
The Crate & Crowbar

Audiodramas
Girl In Space

Film/TV/Music
The Business

Current Events
The Frontline Dispatch

It seems like Radiolab is back, guys. And I don't mean back in the sense that it's regularly adding episodes again (which it is), but the last couple of episodes—including today's—have been really good.

On another note, I finished going through Outside|In and highly recommend it. I also started You Are Not So Smart, which I like a lot, so far, as well as Happier in Hollywood, which is okay but probably better for women.

I'm also about two-thirds through going through the archive for The Memory Palace. 53 episodes left.

TheContact

Joe Rogan is my go to social podcast. For gaming I love Retronauts and Player One Podcast. For Astronomy I love Astronomy Cast.

For those of you who liked Match 3 podcast, Gita Jackson has a new podcast with Patricia Hernandez called Fave This. It's real good so far, though it's not necessarily mostly about games.

I'm trying Logged Off because I really like Danika on Waypoint Radio but the first episode is pretty rough. But that is true for a lot of episode 1's so I'll keep trying it.

Tapejara

For those of you who liked Match 3 podcast, Gita Jackson has a new podcast with Patricia Hernandez called Fave This. It's real good so far, though it's not necessarily mostly about games.

I'm trying Logged Off because I really like Danika on Waypoint Radio but the first episode is pretty rough. But that is true for a lot of episode 1's so I'll keep trying it.

Fave This is great. Definitely recommend it as well.

It seems like Radiolab is back, guys. And I don't mean back in the sense that it's regularly adding episodes again (which it is), but the last couple of episodes—including today's—have been really good.

On another note, I finished going through Outside|In and highly recommend it. I also started You Are Not So Smart, which I like a lot, so far, as well as Happier in Hollywood, which is okay but probably better for women.

I'm also about two-thirds through going through the archive for The Memory Palace. 53 episodes left.
Good to hear, haven’t listened to Radiolab in a while. Backlog, rather than interest loss. Might have to make the recent episodes a priority

And yeah, Memory Palace is excellent. Good thing the episodes are so short, good for binging

Chaplain

The Unbelievable? Podcast

The Unbelievable? Podcast is a weekly show that "engages in fundamental questions on Christianity with the intention to openly discuss different opinions between Christians and non-believers." These podcasts look at two different views regarding the topic being discussed. The show is moderated by Justin Brierley and features a wide range of Academic (religious and nonreligious) experts in their fields of studies.

This week's episode: Can secularism save the West? Peter Hitchens & Andrew Copson (9/30/17)

Andrew Copson of Humanists UK is the author of new book 'Secularism: politics, religion and freedom'. He engages with Mail on Sunday journalist Peter Hitchens on whether secularism is the best future for the West, the 'myth' of neutrality, Islam and gay cakes. Juno the puppy also features. MP3 Download (right click/save as)

Ask Away Podcast

Hosted by Michael Davis, the Ask Away podcast features apologists Vince Vitale, Director of the Zacharias Institute, and Jo Vitale, Dean of Studies. This week on the introductory episode they describe the heart behind the program and discuss interacting with people who hold to an atheistic and naturalistic worldview. MP3 Download (right click/save as)

Vital Signs Podcast

W.H. Auden says, ”The only sensible procedure for a critic is to keep silent about works which he believes to be bad, while at the same time vigorously campaigning for those which he believes to be good, especially if they are being neglected or underestimated by the public." The guiding principle of this site is to ”vigorously campaign" for the good stuff, the stuff that's worthy of our attention, while ignoring the rest. Given the constraints of this ”sensible procedure," much of what transpires in the popular arena will go unmentioned here. This is because not everything that happens in the popular arena is worthy of our attention. Paying attention to what truly matters is a skill we are in desperate need of sharpening. Moreover, I have come to believe that guarding what you pay attention to is a way of guarding the integrity of your thought. This site reflects that assumption. In short, Vital Signs is a place to praise, celebrate, and champion the things that are worthy of our attention in today's culture. MP3 Download of last episode (right click/save as)

Penguin

Probably not necessarily what this thread/community is for so feel free to remove post if needed, but been looking for a good animation/cartoon based podcast for years and haven't found anything that really grabs me

So was wondering if anyone here is possibly interested in trying to start one up?

Highlights
Tumanbay - Essentially the Game of Thrones of podcast audiodramas. An epic fantasy BBC-produced series with political intrigue and medieval action
Second Wave - A compelling and eye-opening series talking with second generation Vietnamese-Americans and the post-Vietnam War effects they still feel
The Dark Place - Raw and real stories from people struggling with mental health, from depression to abuse

Educational
Early and Often
Cults
The Thread

Journalism
Earshot
Second Wave
Stories From The Eastern West
The Dark Place
Rough Translation

Audiodramas
Deadly Manners
Tumanbay

Current Events
Status
The Wall

Miscellaneous
The Struggle Bus

Highlights
How Do You Sleep At Night - A fascinating series that interviews people involved in taboo/infamous activities, from a stock market manipulator to a tobacco lobbyist
The Marble Garden - A podcast that travels to different cemeteries and mausoleums to tell about the stories and lives of the deceased
Weird Work - Think Dirty Jobs, but weird and unusual jobs, like taking us into the world of Amazon's dinosaur erotica authors

Educational
A Taste of The Past
The Fridge Light
Weird Work

Journalism
How Do You Sleep At Night
American Suburb

True Crime
Dirty John

Audiodramas
The White Vault

Film/TV/Music
Inside The Exorcist
Bloody Mary
I Think You're Interesting

Miscellaneous
The Marble Garden
Opening Arguments

scotcheggz

So my podcast is trundling along okay, It's been a podcast for about 5 weeks now and it's just hit 3000 downloads and I've even charted in History a couple of times on iTunes which was pretty cool.. Who knew talking to a microphone could be such fun :eek:

So my podcast is trundling along okay, It's been a podcast for about 5 weeks now and it's just hit 3000 downloads and I've even charted in History a couple of times on iTunes which was pretty cool.. Who knew talking to a microphone could be such fun :eek:
Missed your original tweet. Your podcast sounds cool, will definitely check it out tonight.

===

Highlights
The Black - A horror audiodrama set among the dark depths of the sea floor
Never Seen Before - Two charming and fun hosts watch classic movies they've both never seen before
How's Your Day - Other personal stories from famous and infamous days through history

Educational
Dark Histories
Interesting Things Explained Well

Journalism
War on Waste
How's Your Day

True Crime
Black Hands

Audiodramas
Escape Pod
Our Fair City
Radio Icebox
The Black
Sable

Film/TV/Music
The Director's Cut
Never Seen Before

Current Events
Impact

Miscellaneous
Voicemail Poems
Where Should We Begin?
Yeah, That's Probably An Ad

ReAxion

Anybody else get on that Dirty John 'cast?

6 eps, under an hour each. I finished it in half a day.

Fuckin' hell, man.

Top Bottom