• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PodcastGAF |OT|

rObit

Banned
I pretty much am exclusively listening to The Adventure Zone and My Brother, My Brother, and Me right now, working my way through old episodes. But I'll definitely give some of these a shot when that McElroy charm starts to wear on me. The MaxFun network's trappings have gotten really grating, so it might end up being that that gets me listening to something else.

gaiages

Banned
What do people prefer: shorter (15-20 minutes) or longer (45 minutes, hour+) podcasts?

Personally I enjoy longer shows, like Hardcore History and Radiolab

I like both, really. Like, I tend to prefer Retronauts' Micro episodes (at most 15, usually 5-10 minutes) because they're ultra focused on rather niche subjects that wouldn't fit into their normal 1-2 hour episodes. But I like the longer episodes for podcast too, as then the hosts go into more detail with what they're talking about.

I guess, as long as they aren't rambling or aren't being too 'general' with the subject, I don't care about the length too much.

Thanks to whoever first posted about Sword and Scale. I've been debating on doing a podcast similar to this, but this is extremely well done. I listened to 3 minutes of the newest episode before quitting out and going all the way back to first one.

All i can say is WOW. Easily one of the best crime podcasts available. I'm thinking about starting a supernatural podcast with a similar focus on details.

Also, if you can get past Starlee Kine's voice or the npr/hipster sensibility of Mystery Show, it's exceptionally well done despite all that going against it. Belt Buckle (ep 3) really is something special.

Thanks to whoever first posted about Sword and Scale. I've been debating on doing a podcast similar to this, but this is extremely well done. I listened to 3 minutes of the newest episode before quitting out and going all the way back to first one.

All i can say is WOW. Easily one of the best crime podcasts available. I'm thinking about starting a supernatural podcast with a similar focus on details.

Also, if you can get past Starlee Kine's voice or the npr/hipster sensibility of Mystery Show, it's exceptionally well done despite all that going against it. Belt Buckle (ep 3) really is something special.
Completely agree, started listening to Sword and Scale and Criminal this week and they're so good.

blamite

Gotta link two of my favorites I haven't sen mentioned yet!

This is... probably my all-time favorite podcast? Dan Harmon rants about things, raps and has a bunch of awesome guests. And they play Shadowrun every episode!

I just started listening to this one lately but I've been enjoying it a lot! Just a nice, funny conversation about random topics. Very pleasant!

Idle Thumbs was mentioned in the OP, but they also just wrpped up their Twin Peaks rewatch podcast, which also is great. I watched the show for the first time along with it and found that it greatly enhanced the experience. They also have a True Detective podcast that's going on right now, which I'm looking forward to checking out once I'm caught up on Season 1.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What is a good horror podcast? I mean, something that tells a scary/creepy story. I tried Lore, but it isn't for me. Good production, but I didn't find it scary.

Salaadin

What is a good horror podcast? I mean, something that tells a scary/creepy story. I tried Lore, but it isn't for me. Good production, but I didn't find it scary.

The No Sleep Podcastis alright. Its not really scary by my standards but I love radio drama type stuff and this sorta of fits that bill for me. Its pretty cheesy though. Sometimes too cheesy.

I also enjoy Jim Harolds Campfire but, again, its not really scary. It depends on the caller a lot and sadly most people cant really tell their story in an intriguing way. Its still a good listen though. Jim seems like a hell of a nice guy.

Darkness Radio isnt really a podcast (theyre a radio show) but they put their episodes up for download/streaming usually the day after the show airs. They usually have a topic each night and will really talk about anything but the best nights are usually Fridays for listener call ins.

None of these will creep you our regularly but I think theyre all solid.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The No Sleep Podcastis alright. Its not really scary by my standards but I love radio drama type stuff and this sorta of fits that bill for me. Its pretty cheesy though. Sometimes too cheesy.

I also enjoy Jim Harolds Campfire but, again, its not really scary. It depends on the caller a lot and sadly most people cant really tell their story in an intriguing way. Its still a good listen though. Jim seems like a hell of a nice guy.

Darkness Radio isnt really a podcast (theyre a radio show) but they put their episodes up for download/streaming usually the day after the show airs. They usually have a topic each night and will really talk about anything but the best nights are usually Fridays for listener call ins.

None of these will creep you our regularly but I think theyre all solid.

I have checked out a few episodes of No Sleep. It is good, but I agree, not scary. I will listen to the other two. Thanks!

Bread

Banned
Hollywood Handbook is probably the top pop culture/movies/tv podcast I've heard. I've never heard so many insider stories on any other show or podcast. These guys are the real deal.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
My contribution: No Such Thing as a Fish

Weekly, averages 35 minutes or so. Researchers from QI gather round and talk about bizarre and obscure facts that they've uncovered. But they're not typical, boring academics; some of them are experienced comedians so the whole thing is pretty funny.

Entertainment:

hyb8R_PI_400x400.jpeg

All year long Game of Thrones podcast, Game of Owns

oJw4wkLd.jpeg

Kumail nanjiani's xfiles files, a re watch
Xfiles Files

Fantomas

oJw4wkLd.jpeg

Kumail nanjiani's xfiles files, a re watch
Xfiles Files

I don't know how I forgot about The X-Files Files. Another great TV re-watch podcast.

Kumail Nanjiani, of HBO's Silicon Valley among other things, invites a guest onto the podcast to talk about a couple episodes at a time, usually around an hour long on average if I recall correctly. Great fun to listen to for any X-Files fan in my opinion.

Valhelm

contribute something
The Last Podcast on the Left is an absolutely fabulous horror show, especially known for their in-depth coverage of serial killers. If you're a fan of the macabre, you ought to check them out on iTunes. Their three-part special on Jeffrey Dahmer is really top-notch. The three hosts have experience in stand-up and television, so they can make the most lurid crimes entertaining.

Matty77

Kudos to TC. Not only was this a good idea for an official thread but you have been doing a stellar job keeping up with the posts and modifying the OP.

Now that I see that seriousness I will subscribe.

Fireblend

Banned
Kudos to TC. Not only was this a good idea for an official thread but you have been doing a stellar job keeping up with the posts and modifying the OP.

Now that I see that seriousness I will subscribe.
Yep, outstanding work so far! I wish this thread existed a couple weeks back when I bought a dedicated podcast app and decided to start looking for new stuff to listen to.

Fireblend

Banned
Guys, any recommendations on good Last Podcast on the Left episodes to listen to? There's a ton of em and I'd like to get into it.

obin_gam

Guys, any recommendations on good Last Podcast on the Left episodes to listen to? There's a ton of em and I'd like to get into it.
Well, start from the beginning really, that's what I did - every episode is good (except for the the one this week which was an interview with the guy from Human Centipede 2 which was boring as hell).

My personal favourites though:
Satanism in the Government Part I: Hellfire (Ep 119)
The Satanic Government Part II: The Franklin Cover-Up Part I (Ep 120)
The Satanic Government Part III: The Franklin Cover-Up Part II (Ep 121)

Hail Satan (Ep 39)
The Alien Agenda (Ep 40)
Project MK Ultra (Ep 52)

Satanic Ritual Abuse Part I: Burning In My Rectum (Ep 69)
Satanic Ritual Abuse Part II: Old Grandma Played the Piano (Ep 70)
Secret Societies (Ep 83)

The Pleiadians and the Battle for Humanity (Ep 91)
Journey to the Planet Serpo (Ep 105)
The Illuminati (ep 21)

And then of course, as previously mentioned the Jeffrey Dahmer 3-parter (Ep 123-125)

Well, start from the beginning really, that's what I did - every episode is good (except for the the one this week which was an interview with the guy from Human Centipede 2 which was boring as hell).

My personal favourites though:
Satanism in the Government Part I: Hellfire (Ep 119)
The Satanic Government Part II: The Franklin Cover-Up Part I (Ep 120)
The Satanic Government Part III: The Franklin Cover-Up Part II (Ep 121)

Hail Satan (Ep 39)
The Alien Agenda (Ep 40)
Project MK Ultra (Ep 52)

Satanic Ritual Abuse Part I: Burning In My Rectum (Ep 69)
Satanic Ritual Abuse Part II: Old Grandma Played the Piano (Ep 70)
Secret Societies (Ep 83)

The Pleiadians and the Battle for Humanity (Ep 91)
Journey to the Planet Serpo (Ep 105)
The Illuminati (ep 21)

And then of course, as previously mentioned the Jeffrey Dahmer 3-parter (Ep 123-125)

What's the deal with the guy who is into the Satanism stuff? I can't tell if he just has a healthy interest in it and finds it funny, or if it actually acts as a foundation to his thought process. I don't think I care either way, but it makes me hesitant to share the cast with other friends.

Also, I just have been jumping around for the main "popular icon" killers and they've been pretty decent. My favortes so far have been the Ed Gein episodes (I'm just about to start part 3).

Fireblend

Banned
Exactly the sort of advice I was hoping for, thanks! I doubt I'll have the time to listen from the beginning, or even all of the ones you suggested, but I'll be sure to keep your list bookmarked for whenever I have some spare time :)

obin_gam

What's the deal with the guy who is into the Satanism stuff? I can't tell if he just has a healthy interest in it and finds it funny, or if it actually acts as a foundation to his thought process. I don't think I care either way, but it makes me hesitant to share the cast with other friends.

Also, I just have been jumping around for the main "popular icon" killers and they've been pretty decent. My favortes so far have been the Ed Gein episodes (I'm just about to start part 3).

After havng listened to other podcasts with this dude in it, I do believe that he's just a sort of "fanboy of fucked up trivia". The ancient alien/lizard people episodes I think cement that, where he changes his ultra-excitement from satanic cults to lizard people ruling the world.

Funny you should post this.

I was thinking of making a podcast and I had this bookmarked no less than 24 hours before you made this thread. He recommends the Samson C01U Pro USB mic, but I went with the Blue Snowball USB mic and it works great.

Only thing is, I don't know what to talk about. I was thinking video games (go figure), but I don't know if that's too niche. Anybody have any suggestions? What do you like listening to?

Fireblend

Banned
I know there's a Lore thread already, but I really enjoyed today's episode.

I was thinking of making a podcast and I had this bookmarked no less than 24 hours before you made this thread. He recommends the Samson C01U Pro USB mic, but I went with the Blue Snowball USB mic and it works great.

Only thing is, I don't know what to talk about. I was thinking video games (go figure), but I don't know if that's too niche. Anybody have any suggestions? What do you like listening to?

I'd say if anything, gaming as a podcast subject has been overdone to death. You'd be competing with some of the most popular podcasts out there unless you can come up with a really original spin. I've been toying with the idea of creating one myself. Spanish is my first language, and I've noticed a distinct lack of spanish podcasts, so that could be an advantage for me. I've thought about making it gaming-centered, but I'd need at least someone else, IMO, and tons of people already get their gaming news elsewhere.

I've also toyed with the idea of doing short (<30 mins) interviews, centered around people's M.Sc. or Ph.D. thesis that I'd invite week to week (I love science and would love to contribute to the efforts of having more people be interested in it), but I'm afraid I don't have the background I'd need to be a good host for such a show, as much as I've read on the subject.

About suggestions on what I'd like to hear, I tend to prefer shorter podcasts, I feel like people are more willing to give something new a shot if it isn't some huge 1-hour-or-more investment. Lore for example is killing it, IMO.

I like true crime and science stuff. Criminal, Sword and Scale, Radiolab, Sawbones. Plus stuff like Startup and Hardcore History

If you want more diversity that your average video game & nerd 'casts, hit up Rocket and Isometric on Relay.
Yeah, and if u want some additional diverse perspective games podcasts check out Spawn on Me and Nichiest Podcast Ever; the former co-hosted by 2 black men and the latter by a trans woman, cis woman, and gay man.

Fireblend

Banned
What's the best podcast player for Android? I use Podcast Addict, but it constantly crashes when doing anything else.

I'm a huge fan of Pocket Casts. They even got an award from Google for the app's design during the latest Google I/O conference. Their podcast catalog is pretty great for discovering new stuff, and it has some serious filtering features that also is pretty handy.

AkuMifune

Banned
On Android, I still like Doggcatcher. Mabye I need to try something new for shits though.

I listen to many of the podcasts in the OP. My Top 10 list from the recent thread was:
  1. Twin Peaks Rewatch (sadface)
  2. Idle Thumbs
  3. F This Movie!
  4. PTI
  5. Giant Bombcast
  6. Giant Beastcast
  7. 8-4 Play
  8. BS Report (second sadface)
  9. In-Game Chat
  10. Fast Karate for the Gentleman

From that list I would really like to recommend F! This Movie. It's really great.

It's not what you think from the title. It's not a "takedown" of films. They recently discussed the 20th Anniversary of Clueless and couldn't stop falling over themselves how good it still holds up. Love these guys!

After havng listened to other podcasts with this dude in it, I do believe that he's just a sort of "fanboy of fucked up trivia". The ancient alien/lizard people episodes I think cement that, where he changes his ultra-excitement from satanic cults to lizard people ruling the world.

Hah, well I'm glad that my first impression was the right one. I do wish he'd tone it down a bit more because I know quite a few people who'd enjoy the show but be put off by his statements. I'm not sure if a pre-emptive warning would help or hurt them.

One thing I really like about the show is how they're often very sympathetic to these serial murderers. They don't excuse anything they do, and they often point out how crazy, insane, etc. they are, but I like that they often acknowledge how close some of these people were to living a normal life--the Ed Gein episode in particular is good about this.

For anyone who is about to listen to them though, be warned that they often talk about unproven theories as if they are facts, and while those may seem like the most plausible from their presentation, they don't always do a good job explaining what is certain and what is their theories in the moment.

gaiages

Banned
Part 2 of my podcast adventures :p

I've worked through a fair bit of backlogged episodes of "The First Wave" of podcasts and found I liked quite a few of them! Now I'm about to try out some more NPR shows (The Story of the Day ones seem right up my alley to fill my current event niche), and some of the shows people in the thread personally suggested to me. :3

In the meanwhile, though, I decided that Podcast Republic kinda sucks (adding a new podcast is way too annoying if it's not already in the database and there's other quirks), so I'll be trying new download based Android apps as well. Can't stream so I have to make sure it's not doing that :p

Oh, and if anyone's thinking "Gee, she sure has a lot of podcasts she's listening to", it's because I need to fill ~30 hours of silence a week. I have a lot of time for podcasts.

On my rotation:
Retronauts
VGMpire
Planet Money
Turbo Game Podcast
Stuff You Should Know

Trying Out:
NPR's Story of the Day
NPR's World Story of the Day
Top Score
Legacy Music Hour
Hardcore History

Dropped:
USGamer Podcast
Axe of the Blood God

To Try:
I'll figure it out again in a bit, gotta comb through the thread again :p

I just started a new podcast about legal and business issues in the board game and video game industries. It's called Legal Moves, and it is based on a segment I had been doing on a popular board gaming podcast over the last year. There's a site up now. Recording episode 2 in an hour or so, and it'll be up by Wednesday.

Are there any podcasts focused on game design? Kind of like a Gamasutra of game podcasts (possible topics would be stuff like environmental storytelling, how to do horror through mechanics, game feel, etc.)? I'm always fascinated by the how and why of game design. I'd love a podcast on that rather than just talking about games and gaming news

Are there any podcasts focused on game design? Kind of like a Gamasutra of game podcasts (possible topics would be stuff like environmental storytelling, how to do horror through mechanics, game feel, etc.)? I'm always fascinated by the how and why of game design. I'd love a podcast on that rather than just talking about games and gaming news

I haven't listened to it, but I've heard good things about Designer Notes. Updated roughly monthly, Soren Johnson (He wrote the AI for Civ III and was lead designer on Civ IV) interviews a game dev. https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I haven't listened to them in awhile, so I don't know if they are still good:

The Game Design Round Table
Indiegamepod

Never listened, but what you asked for:

Another Castle (I think they stopped)
The Infinite Ammo
The Game Developers Radio

Edit- Looks like the last three stopped for awhile now.

KDC720

Did anyone else ever listen to Syndication Station? It was in the same family as the Continuecast, Fantasy Fiction, and Goosebuds. It quickly became a favorite of mine but they haven't had a new episode in like a year now.

Anyways, my buddy and I are thinking of trying our hand at a podcast soon, just a small one, but I love listening to them and I figured it would be fun to give one a shot.

Just heard about this Life of the Law podcast tonight on Marketplace

http://www.lifeofthelaw.org/

Sounds great but haven't listened yet

SOund rich, law-based podcasts that look both into the law and into individual cases.
About Life of the Law

Law is alive. It doesn't live in books and words. It thrives in how well we understand and apply it to everyday life. We ask questions, find answers, and publish what we discover in feature episodes and live storytelling.

Looks like they also have some great long form content.

Latest one is about a bounty hunter called The Bear, and this is how it begins:

When I first meet Frank Abramovitz, he&#8217;s wearing a leather Harley Davidson hat and jeans that are a little too short. He has bright blue eyes and a gold hoop in his ear. He&#8217;s 75 years old, and he&#8217;s the first bounty hunter I&#8217;ve ever met. &#8220;They call me the Bear,&#8221; Frank tells me.&#8220;Cuz I put a couple guys through a door one night and after that everybody called me the Bear.&#8221;

Before Frank, the only bounty hunter I&#8217;d ever heard of was that guy Dog, with his own TV show. But Frank says Dog&#8217;s a jackass and a phony. Frank has a lot of strong opinions. So first, a little background on bounty hunting...

http://www.lifeofthelaw.org/2015/06/the-bear/

zert

Anyone else listen to StartUp? Just realized no one had recommended it yet

Yeah season 2 was very repetitive IMO. Season 1 was great.

From that list I would really like to recommend F! This Movie. It's really great.

It's not what you think from the title. It's not a "takedown" of films. They recently discussed the 20th Anniversary of Clueless and couldn't stop falling over themselves how good it still holds up. Love these guys!

I'm going to give this one a try, thanks!

Top Bottom