• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point-and-Click Adventure-GAF of LucasArts, Sierra, and hair-pulling puzzles

A couple of amazing ones missing:

Toonstruck:
games-toonstruck-screenshot-2.jpg

Blade Runner:
BladeRunnerIngame1.jpg

Journey to the edge:
47764.jpg

koala_lumpur_journey_to_the_edge_002.jpg

Sanitarium:
sanitarium7.jpg

Goblins series (1,2 & 3) :
Gobliins%202%20-%20The%20Prince%20Buffoon_6.jpg

There are many other I played, but next to Sam & Max, Grimm Fandango and the Monkey Island games these are some of the best out there.

IrishNinja

wow, fantastic thread, excellent work OP. i admit there's a few i got in indie/steam bundles i didnt even know where adventures games, now i'm hyped for them!

Dreamfall's prolly next for me, i should get around to Gabriel Knight though - i recall them being on GOG for a song.

Grim Fandango, i tried so many times to get this game to run properly on my PC but there was always SOME problem and i gave up trying now, i REALLY wish they'd remake or even port this to Steam or GOG or whatever so we could properly play it on modern rigs!!!

Fritz

YcIb2.png

Whenever you try to beat up the close to invincible Nazi, Fritz, this is what you will undoubtedly see. It's pretty hilarious now, but the thought of Indy actually dying always scared me when I was young. That Atlantean god puking out lava is what it is.

And I am still here. Quit boxing a decade ago though :(

Numpt3

Very nice thread op, well done! I'm currently playing Gemini Rue, not that far into it yet but it's brilliant so far.

I'm still waiting for Lucasarts to announce Monkey Island 4 :'(

BluWacky

There I was thinking "gosh, this thread looks like it's been cribbed wholesale from that excellent Hardcoregaming101 book about graphic adventures" - and then it turns out the OP wrote that. Nice job.

I've fallen out of adventure game fandom a bit since last year. I was so looking forward to A New Beginning, but the appalling localisation rendered it almost unplayable (Whispered World wasn't anywhere near so bad) and I haven't really played anything since other than another attempt to enjoy the Phoenix Wright games (Japanese adventures and I really don't get on - LET ME SKIP THE DIALOGUE I HAVE ALREADY READ IT - but I still keep trying...)

I should look into getting Book Of Unwritten Tales I guess, I think that's the only must-have I've missed recently.

Amazing thread. Really wish more of these games were available to purchase digitally. Really want to play Grim and Blade Runner.

One game that has been overlooked in the last year and a half is The Dream Machine.

It's a episodic browser based point & click game, made by two people and everything in the world is made by hand.

The game follows a couple that just moved into a new apartment, and while moving in you find some odd stuff in your new home, which lead to a dramatic and horrific journey through your own mind and a twisted world where machine is king.

Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202012-02-08%20kl.%2010.22.21.png

Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202012-02-08%20kl.%2010.23.44.png

Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202012-02-08%20kl.%2010.24.10.png

Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202012-02-08%20kl.%2010.24.36.png

The game is beyond beautiful, and runs amazingly well in the browser environment. As mentioned, it's episodic, and currently the first three episodes are available.

Episode 1 is playable for free, so you can get an idea of what the game is about.

It's fully in english but with no voice acting - http://thedreammachine.se/

Personally it's one of the best games I've played in a very long time. The story is well told and the puzzles are clever, but never headache inducing or stupidly designed, which makes it really fun to play.

Also having it in a browser and having cloud based saves, makes it easy to play anywhere you are.

daoster

Nobody likes Woodruff and the Schnibble??

Probably one of my favorite games of ALL time...so much memories.

0gzxn.jpg

And check out A Vampyre Story....ex LucasArts staffer worked on that game

pzqPZ.jpg

I just found their company made another game too, and I need to check that OUT!

deleted

Cool Thread. Day of Tentacle was one of my first PC games back in the day. I loved it, but had a problem with the copy-protection thing back then.
It was not a cd-key, but a formula, you had to put in at one point in the game. Printed somewhere in/on the manual. My younger self threw that away - brilliant move, young me.
I never made it very far in the game and I never finished it.

One game not mentioned in the OP is Deponia:
deponia_02i8ct1.jpg

deponia_screenshot_08u1fpg.jpg

Didn't play it yet, but the reviews are very good. Its from the Whispered World team and will hopefully get a good translation unlike other german adventure games.

The Ankh games were also not mentioned yet. Also from a german team, also not on any DD service I know of.
ankh13au8lckq.jpg

The Ankh games are horrible. The developers who makes those games needs to read Ron Gilberts lessons about how you should structure your adventure games.

dude

dude
I love point and click adventure games, they're probably my second favorite genre after old school PC RPGs.
But, I have a problem with contemporary adventure games... The nostalgia around the genre is very strong, and it can sometimes lead to reject any change even in the form of innovation. Truth be told, swiping your mouse over everything in the screen to see if it's interactable, dragging all of your inventory into anything and everything you see... These things just feel silly today. The main gameplay "tropes" of the adventure game genre just did not age very well. In that regard, Loom is to me the adventure game that aged the best - You never feel like you're trying to guess some game designer's logic in what you should do, but actually follow some logic that is consistent with the game world. The lack of an inventory is something I'm amazed I didn't see in more adventure games.

EDIT: Some great games came up in this thread! I'd like to second the recommendation of the Goblins series, it's very underrated.
Also, a warning - If anyone ever tells you to play Hotel Dusk because it's like old school point and click adventure game - Don't believe him. And then punch him in the face.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Here's another favorite of mine:

The_Adventures_of_Willy_Beamish_Coverart.png

06.jpg

GhaleonQ

Personally it's one of the best games I've played in a very long time. The story is well told and the puzzles are clever, but never headache inducing or stupidly designed, which makes it really fun to play.

Also having it in a browser and having cloud based saves, makes it easy to play anywhere you are.

Too bad it's taking forever to make. I'd advise people to wait until the end of this year when it (probably) will have wrapped up.

Too bad it's taking forever to make. I'd advise people to wait until the end of this year when it (probably) will have wrapped up.

Totally agree. The curse of being indie and relying on government funding and stuff like that. Hopefully their indie cade finalist position can push for more awareness and money to the game.

Also they are planning a Steam release once the entire game is complete, which also will help a lot.

But I do like paying right now up front, feels like supporting the game and I like getting a episode when it's ready to go. And their browser solution is amazing since they can fix things immediately and do tweaking on the fly.

CiSTM

Banned
Here are two less known gems:

First of all one of the best Cyberpunk games ever made. DreamWeb Well maybe not the best gameplay vise but the atmosphere is really something and so is the story. It's up to the player to decided if the main guy is just nuts or his dreams and actions are right. Nudity and the gore were contrevercial when Dreamweb was released and IIRC it was banned or censored in many european countries so that might be one of the reason why it is still bit of a hidden gem.
IyPI0.png

jj5C7.png

UX8or.png

VmKPL.png

Dreamweb, a dark, cyberpunk adventure by Creative Visions, just might be the most depressing game ever made. As a down-on-his-luck ex-bartender named Ryan, it's your duty to hunt through the bleak streets of the city and murder seven different people. Ryan knows this because he's constantly haunted by visions of the "Dreamweb", a place inhabited by monks who instruct him that these seven souls are going to cause an imbalance and doom the world.

It's a little creepy, this scenario. For all intents and purposes, you are playing as a serial killer.

Overt violence is nothing new in electronic gaming, but never so much as Dreamweb. For as much controversy as Mortal Kombat and Grand Theft Auto caused, they're so cartoonishly silly that they lack any serious impact. Darker games like Manhunt and Hitman are vaguely justified by their scenarios ("kill or be killed" in the former, paid work in the latter), but never has a game put you in a character so dramatically unhinged that they think they're saving the world, when in reality, they're hunting and gunning down people in cold blood.

But are these victims truly innocent? Is the Dreamweb a mere hallucination, a strange rationalization for Ryan to unleash whatever demon lies within? The answer is never fully given, which is part of why the concept is so brilliant. The original release came with a supplementary book called Diary of a Man Man, which includes a variety of insane scribbles, along with some necessary copy protection type stuff. In the game, Ryan never questions his motives, and even if the player does, not murdering means not proceeding. Beyond the seven targets, for which they need to die for their future sins, there is one innocent person - a guard - you need to kill. Not out of self defense - you just pull out your gun, shoot him, and move on. Ryan doesn't even comment on it. Perhaps it's rationalized that this bystander needed to die for the greater good. Perhaps it's more that Ryan has no use or regard for human life to begin with.

Second is Rome: Pathway to Power - Rome: A.D. 92
9XsMK.jpg

3gylT.png

in Rome you have to learn how to play dice, buy slaves, use the slaves to fight in the gladiator games to earn money, and eventually end up in the Roman army. You do battle, and earn your way back to Rome. You have to mount a political campaign to get elected to the Roman Senate.
This is where the cool complexity of the storyline meets with the fun of the first person gameplay. You can sponsor a play at the theatre that supports your candidacy, you can hire a guy in the Roman Forum to speak on your behalf and you can even pay people off to vote for you. Then you can go to the polls and track how many votes you are getting versus your opponent. I played this game over and over to see how quickly I could win the battles and how many votes I could get in the election. Every time I played I found another character to talk to or a new strategy to earn more money faster and get more advantages in my quest to become Caesar.
The final level is all based around a famous and explosive event in the history of Rome that culminates in your ascension to the throne. But it does require you to pay attention and take action in the correct sequence or else your efforts will not be rewarded with victory but you will find yourself executed and your rise to power cut short. This really was one of my favorite games and I think the multiple methods of gameplay combined with the storyline was unique and cool, and it really has not been duplicated since.
Hiring assasins and rigging elections has never been so much fun :D

MizzouRah

Here's another favorite of mine:

The_Adventures_of_Willy_Beamish_Coverart.png

06.jpg

Thissssssssssss! I was devastated when my older brother's friend borrowed his copy (Sega CD) of Willy Beamish and never brought it back. I always remember cracking up when Willy says "AHHHHHHHHHH! It's the babysitter from hell!" Ohhhhhh to be 6 again.

Other than that, Blade Runner. I wish that game had an HQ conversion. Such a remarkable atmosphere.

Myst on Sega Saturn was pure fuck. The load times were impossible for me to cope with when I was younger.

Maniac Mansion on NES is also one of my best memories.

One Christmas, I got a collection of Lucas Arts adventure games from Sam's Club. It had all of them, plus a demo for THE DIG, which was unreleased at the time. I wish I still had that collection, although I know how easy it is to reacquire these games.

Great thread!

Larsen B

I've been playing Fate of Atlantis these past few days. Last time I played it was when I was about 10, going round to my friend's house to play it on his IBM. He chose the Team route and we got really stuck on a puzzle in Atlantis with gears (I think).

One game I've never played but was always intrigued by is Orion Burger.

Fjy4M.gif

I remember reading a review of it in PC Gamer many years ago and thinking the Groundhog Day puzzle structures were amazing.

CiSTM

Banned
I've been playing Fate of Atlantis these past few days. Last time I played it was when I was about 10, going round to my friend's house to play it on his IBM. He chose the Team route and we got really stuck on a puzzle in Atlantis with gears (I think).

One game I've never played but was always intrigued by is Orion Burger.

Fjy4M.gif

I remember reading a review of it in PC Gamer many years ago and thinking the Groundhog Day puzzle structures were amazing.
I really liked the game back in the days but I have to say I don't remember it all too well. Also when I was younger I tought pretty much all the games I played were good/fun so I can't really speak objectively if it was good or bad game. I do remember that the voice acting was good, the graphics were nice and animation was fluid. I also remember that if you screwd up somehow you had to watch this stupid unskippable animation bit about two aliens talking to each other.

Sloane

Banned
Great games that are missing:

- Blade Runner
- The Riddle of Master Lu (Indiana Jones style adventure)
- Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel (that one was huge)

Jucksalbe

Banned
I remember there were some German adventures in the 90s that were basically just advertisement. Some of these were actually decent games.

Abenteuer+Europa.jpeg

This is for a political party.

bifi2_titel%5B1%5D.gif

Don't know if that's known outside of Germany, it's some kind of salami.

xist

The first Monkey Island is one of my favourite games of all time (i had so many issues with the second due to it's 11 disc Amiga floppy set i'm still scarred). In fact i've still got the Bounty Pack with all three games on.

I was always tempted by Urban Runner but some of the reviews read like horror stories and i'm not sure i could sit through something with such a rigid interaction with the player.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
This thread is something beautiful. Good work OP!

/subscribed

Same here. This was my favorite genre back in the DOS days. I tried to play every single game I could find. I started with the text parser games, but I am so glad those days passed. Crap was hard!

Still, I'm glad I started out prehistoric like that. King's Quest was probably the first game I cut my teeth on in regards to adventure games. Man, how I miss them. I've had my annual craving to play old adventure titles again, so I may fire some up this weekend.

Ironically enough, I got into the genre because of the Sega CD I believe. It had Willy Beamish, Monkey's Island, and a few others. Once I got an IBM Compatible 486, the rest was history. I was insatiable.

Back then, the internet was fairly non-existent or at least I didn't have it, so going to GameFAQs for assistance was not an option. Calling helplines or writing to Sierra, like I did on occassion for help on games like Gabriel Knight (the cemetary puzzle was hell for me) were the only options.

Ahh...nostalgia. This weekend I'll pop in my Space Quest Collection, or maybe a Police Quest game. And I will follow this thread for any options I have never played, as I see a few already.

Thanks OP!

dude

dude
That BOBBY puzzle in the Neverhood drove me crazy. I sent a mail to a local gaming magazine and they mailed me back the solution. Still one of my favorite adventure games - even though the puzzle quality is so-so.

krYlon

One game that has been overlooked in the last year and a half is The Dream Machine.

It's a episodic browser based point & click game, made by two people and everything in the world is made by hand.

The game follows a couple that just moved into a new apartment, and while moving in you find some odd stuff in your new home, which lead to a dramatic and horrific journey through your own mind and a twisted world where machine is king.

Tried the first episode of this for free, and was very impressed. I really should get round to buying the rest.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
The Ankh games are horrible. The developers who makes those games needs to read Ron Gilberts lessons about how you should structure your adventure games.

A few of these are available on Steam, I grabbed them on sale but never really played them. I did try Jack Keane, made by the same team, and all it made me want to do was replay Monkey Island 3.

Here's the Ron Gilbert article someone was asking about: http://grumpygamer.com/2152210

Was I the only one who played KGB? The true pants shitting simulator!

kgb.gif

HAHA yes! This game is ridiculous. You practically have to use a walkthrough unless you want to get repeatedly screwed over. You actually can piss you pants at one point if you can't find a bathroom quickly enough. The music is so good too. I'm not a huge fans of Cryo's work (they did Dune (not the Westwood RTS one), Lost Eden, Megarace and others) but Stephane Picq is such a great composer, pity he doesn't seem to be around these days.

I also ripped the soundtrack to the PC version and posted it on Youtube awhile back. Here's one of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8a9RIAOr0

SOME-MIST

awesome thread. I actually just got back into point + click adventures the last couple of years, but really have yet to check out the classics.

Just finding out now about scummvm for android is the best thing ever. I ended up playing day of the tentacle in bed before falling asleep last night, and will probably continue to do so at lunch (at work).

anyways, the neverhood has been one of a few point + click adventures that I've played, but it's by far my favorite.

the dream machine is the game that actually got me back into the genre. I can't wait for episode 4 :)

RPGCrazied

Big fan of the Sierra, LucasArts days. Games like Full Throttle, The Dig, Day of The Tentacle, Grim Fan Dango, Space Quest, King's Quest.

Sadly these days adventure games aren't as good. I really did like Syberia though.

Nostalgia is all good and well, but I hope that there will be some focus on the newer games in the genre in this thread also. Games like Tales of Monkey Island, Sam&Max: The Devil's Playhouse, Machinarium and Gray Matter are games worthy mentioning amongst the best in the genre, and actually better then some overrated games from the past (Sam&Max: Hit the Road, Simon the Sorceror, The Longest Journey, etc).

Minsc

Gold Member
Nostalgia is all good and well, but I hope that there will be some focus on the newer games in the genre in this thread also. Games like Tales of Monkey Island, Sam&Max: The Devil's Playhouse, Machinarium and Gray Matter are games worthy mentioning amongst the best in the genre, and actually better then some overrated games from the past (Sam&Max: Hit the Road, Simon the Sorceror, The Longest Journey, etc).

Hahahahaha... oh man. That's pretty good, Telltale's versions of Sam & Max don't even come within spitting distance of the original, that goes for all their other games as well.

I sure hope there was no one on that bus.
No one we know, at least...

dude

dude

Okay, punk, let's take it outside.

Sloane

Banned
Hahahahaha... oh man. That's pretty good, Telltale's versions of Sam & Max don't even come within spitting distance of the original, that goes for all their other games as well.
Yup. Should have bolded Gray Matter and ToMI, too.

Berto

As a kid i adored Shivers from Sierra. The atmosphere is great and the meseum is very interesting to discover. Shivers 2 is pants though.
shivers2-436x360.jpg

vocab

Sanitarium was close to being a classic, but after chapter 4 the game slowly crashes and burns. I just beat the first three blackwell games. They are better than I thought. Episodic, but they all connect. My current project is nikopol. It's good, but getting stuck is way too easy. There's things you can interact with that aren't selectable. Also random shit you can't see on the floor will screw you. The story is pretty batshit insane, and there's religious hockey players killing each other.

it is a scene rendered in Cryengine 2.

on topic: my love for point and click peaked with Full Throttle. Played it three times in a row. Still have fond memories of it and its music.

i played full throttle a couple years ago and however i played it, a lot of the more actiony scenes were pretty broken.

I know you're cribbing from the book, but you should really throw in the Japanese narratives. As I understand it, just as Wizardry and Ultima led to Dragon Quest, Mystery House led to the visual novel and Japanese-style graphic adventure. I don't really buy the divide you've created. Is Pax Softnica's work meaningfully different? Isn't U.F.O.: A Day In The Life just Ghost Trick before Ghost Trick?

Neither opinion is popular, but I'm definitely on board for both.

i considered bringing up japanese games, but didnt know if i wanted to open that can of worms.

Is there a good horror adventure game? I always wanted to play one.

I also want to recommend Beneath a Steel Sky for those who haven't played it. Great story, great writting and amazing music.

beneath a steel sky is great and it is (or was) free on gog.

Thank you for the reminder regarding KGB/Conspiracy - wanted to try this one for a long time, but slipped my mind more recently. Shit, its going to be fun. Still need to get going with "The Dig" too.

I sure hope there was no one on that bus.
No one we know, at least...

The third season actually surpasses it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Very cool. I wish I could buy the original Legend of Kyrandia somewhere, as well as all Quest for Glory IV.

Top Bottom