• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point-and-Click Adventure-GAF of LucasArts, Sierra, and hair-pulling puzzles

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The Secret of Monkey Island was the first game I ever bought. Guess it was 1991 or so, I remember checking the back of the box and seeing that you could have a conversation with a dog (that actually wasn't in my version of the game), and I just needed this game.

Adventure games were an obsession for me since, the OP hits all the right notes except missing blade runner. Great job altogether!

PKrockin

I neglected to mention Pepper's Adventures in Time in the OP. It was another one of their educational games, but it's quite amusing for all ages too. It takes place in a goofy version of the American Revolution, and there's a "truth" icon which will tell you what's historically accurate and what's just there for goofiness' sake. Really great art too, pity it never took off.

I was just about to mention this. That art freaked the crap out of me when I was a kid.

TheBear

Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle were some of the best gaming experiences of my life. Thanks for the memories!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I neglected to mention Pepper's Adventures in Time in the OP. It was another one of their educational games, but it's quite amusing for all ages too. It takes place in a goofy version of the American Revolution, and there's a "truth" icon which will tell you what's historically accurate and what's just there for goofiness' sake. Really great art too, pity it never took off.

This isn't really related to your post except that it involves games for kids. Some of my absolute favorite games growing up were the Humongous Entertainment PaCs. I must have replayed the first three Pajama Sam games and the first three Freddi Fish games a good four or five dozen times when I was a kid. The voice acting was surprisingly good, even by today's standards
Some really great art for the tone in those games:
pajama2-2-full.png

scummvm_1_6_3-full.png

This isn't really related to your post except that it involves games for kids. Some of my absolute favorite games growing up were the Humongous Entertainment PaCs. I must have replayed the first three Pajama Sam games and the first three Freddi Fish games a good four or five dozen times when I was a kid. The voice acting was surprisingly good, even by today's standards

I always wanted to play those since Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossmon were involved in the development of some of them.

The Technomancer

I always wanted to play those since Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossmon were involved in the development of some of them.
I'm pretty sure they still hold up today. They're probably pretty short if you're not ten years old and you know your way around the genre, I'd say the first three of both Pajama Sam and Freddi Fish are worth checking out if you're interested.

TheBear

Does Mario Is Missing count as an Adventure game? I know it was supposed to be educational but it definitely had some adventure game elements. It was also awesome.
Mario-Is-Missing-.jpg

I'm pretty sure they still hold up today. They're probably pretty short if you're not ten years old and you know your way around the genre, I'd say the first three of both Pajama Sam and Freddi Fish are worth checking out if you're interested.

Cool. Apparently some of them have been ported to iOS by Atari so I'll check them out.

PKrockin

Some really great art for the tone in those games:
http://www.scummvm.org/data/screenshots/he/pajama/pajama2-2-full.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.scummvm.org/data/screenshots/he/ffish/scummvm_1_6_3-full.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Ah, those were good, but my personal favorite was Spy Fox in Dry Cereal.

Could just be my nostalgia talking but it was hilarious at times and DAT MUSIC. I gotta find the soundtrack.

[I][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4bc8lQeJiI#t=8m"]classy[/URL][/I]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/brkA4.png

The Technomancer

Ah, those were good, but my personal favorite was Spy Fox in Dry Cereal.

Could just be my nostalgia talking but it was hilarious at times and DAT MUSIC. I gotta find the soundtrack.

classy

http://i.imgur.com/brkA4.png[img][/QUOTE]
Its amazing to me now looking back how they managed to cram so many little pointless animations into every possible thing you could click. I think its one of the reason's they were so great for kids: you could get a reaction out of almost [i]anything[/i]

PKrockin

Its amazing to me now looking back how they managed to cram so many little pointless animations into every possible thing you could click. I think its one of the reason's they were so great for kids: you could get a reaction out of almost anything

Yeah, that's so true. Click the swimming pool, fish jump out and do a flip. Click a poster, the character on it does a pose. In Spy Fox there's a character standing around who does nothing but offer to show you his tattoo. And he's got at least a half dozen different tattoos with unique animations if you keep clicking him.

Man, now I've got an overwhelming urge to play Pajama Sam again.

Edit: Holy crap, Jeremy Soule did the soundtrack for Spy Fox and other Humongous Entertainment games? Mind blown.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
What about the Blade Runner game

blade_runner.jpg

Still one of my all time favorites

What mod is this?

Blade Runner and Tex Murphy games where the best though.

Whoa. Is that the Westwood game with a graphics mod or something?

it is a scene rendered in Cryengine 2.

on topic: my love for point and click peaked with Full Throttle. Played it three times in a row. Still have fond memories of it and its music.

This thread is making me want to find a way to play Humongous Entertainment games again. Putt Putt, Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam, Spy Fox, Fatty Bear - fond memories.

I never knew that Full Throttle was a game directed by Tim Schaffer only, retrospectively, I can see that he was already going in a very wrong direction, like the Double Fine games, the universe is fantastic, and the gameplay is borderline horrible, but at least it was still a point & click at its core, while Double Fine games are more "ambitious". I wish he'd stop making shitty (but funny and charming) games and get back to make some glorious point & click :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
A lot of these games are my favorites. :)

My other unlisted favorites are Phantasmagoria and Laura Bow (both Sierra).

Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle were some of the best gaming experiences of my life. Thanks for the memories!

Add Fate of Atlantis and Sam and Max Hit the Road to that list for me. Those four games were basically the extent of all PC gaming I did while I was growing up, and I have no regrets.

GhaleonQ

I know you're cribbing from the book, but you should really throw in the Japanese narratives. As I understand it, just as Wizardry and Ultima led to Dragon Quest, Mystery House led to the visual novel and Japanese-style graphic adventure. I don't really buy the divide you've created. Is Pax Softnica's work meaningfully different? Isn't U.F.O.: A Day In The Life just Ghost Trick before Ghost Trick?

I never knew that Full Throttle was a game directed by Tim Schaffer only, retrospectively, I can see that he was already going in a very wrong direction, like the Double Fine games, the universe is fantastic, and the gameplay is borderline horrible, but at least it was still a point & click at its core, while Double Fine games are more "ambitious". I wish he'd stop making shitty (but funny and charming) games and get back to make some glorious point & click :(

Neither opinion is popular, but I'm definitely on board for both.

mojiimbo

What about the Blade Runner game

blade_runner.jpg

Still one of my all time favorites
Huh?
A group of three talented artists have put together an amazingly accurate scene from the science-fiction movie classic Blade Runner using Sandbox 2 World Editor. This meticulously re-created scene brought the team the grand prize in Game Artist forums' "Scene from a Movie" competition. Other impressive CryEngine 2 re-creations of I am Legend (4th place) and Aliens (5th place) movies are included as well. Thanks to Crysis-HQ forums for the tip!

Oh. :(

Mr_Zombie

Damn, there are so many adventure games that I have to play. D:
I was a huge fan of Sierra's and LucasArt's games back when I was a kid. It was fun to replay some games few years later and actually understand most jokes (this especially concern Leisure Suit Larry games and various innuendos :p).

I could never get into Discworld games, though. I love the franchise and the humor, but those games were too abstract for me. I replayed Discworld 1 few years ago, this time with a walkthrough (;_;), and many times I thought to myself: "how the hell should I know that?" or "why?". And to top it off, there was a glitch after the first chapter (I don't remember, either I didn't get an item before or couldn't get into Patrician's tower anymore) and I just lost interest. :/
The only Discworld game that I actually finished was Discworld Noir, and while it was fun, interviewing everyone about everything and the whole ending section really dragged. And graphics were fugly.

sp3000

The Dig is awesome. The soundtrack is probably the best one ever in an adventure game. I seriously can't believe that it wasn't more popular, because it's probably the most atmospheric 2D game ever made.
HKUS3.png

Also has anyone here played Mission Critical, because it seems I'm the only one who even knows that it exists.

Mr_Zombie

Loom

loom-11.png

Loosely based on Swan Lake, this game puts you in the role of the young cloaked Bobbin Threadbare, a young man cursed with having been "born" from a magical loom, as he discovers his fate. It's very simplistic from a gameplay standpoint, but the writing and world design is top notch. It was set to be a series which never came into fruition, so it feels somewhat short though.

To anyone playing Loom for the first time: the original game was released with a prologue in the form of a 30 minutes audio drama. If you want to start the game and don't have the drama (it isn't included in the Steam version :/), read the summary on Wikipedia. Without the prologue I felt lost playing the game; I had no idea what's going on, why am I following swans, what does it mean that I'm "the child of Loom" etc. The game provides you almost no backstory.
and when near the end of the game I found my swan mother who, apparently, abandoned me when I was a child, I literally facepalmed because it was so random; the prologue actually explains what happened to her and why should I care.

Gray Matter:

graymatter-3a.jpg

Designed by Jane Jensen, a vet from the Sierra days, I haven't played much of this tale, which focuses on a young street magician, but from what people have said, as long as you don't expect Gabriel Knight 4, it's a pretty decent game. Excellent soundtrack by Robert Holmes (Jensen's husband, also of the Gabriel Knight games) and his band, The Scarlet Furies.

Awesome game. Of all 2011 adventure games I´ve played, this is by far the best one. I kinda hate it that people overrate a nostalgia trip like Gemini Rue (it´s good, but not THAT good) and then completely miss out on this. It might now have the prettiest 3d models or interface, but it is a really really good adventure game when you look past those two aspects.

rataplein

you can add if you want:

Call of Cthulhu: Prisoner of Ice

according to wiki: "...based on H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, particularly At the Mountains of Madness." but i never read it

Prisoner_of_Ice_cover.jpg

games-de-terror_f_012.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Also has anyone here played Mission Critical, because it seems I'm the only one who even knows that it exists.

I played the demo way way back. I remember Michael Dorn and sealing off an air leak on a ship...and that's it. I was kind of vaguely interested in getting the full game for a while, but I just forgot about it. Seemed decent, if a bit unremarkable.

Mr_Zombie

Awesome game. Of all 2011 adventure games I´ve played, this is by far the best one. I kinda hate it that people overrate a nostalgia trip like Gemini Rue (it´s good, but not THAT good) and then completely miss out on this. It might now have the prettiest 3d models or interface, but it is a really really good adventure game when you look past those two aspects.

I would love to play this game (I saw it really cheap at retail the other day) but it runs terribly on my laptop. I can play games like RE5 or ME1/ME2 (on med-low settings, mind you), but this game runs so slow that I really couldn't stand it :(

And I hate how so many modern adventure games use 3d "realistic" human models that are ugly as fuck and so stiffly animated (from what I saw, Gray Matter's characters look nice, but the faces on the bottom of the screen were really bad) :/.

sp3000

I played the demo way way back. I remember Michael Dorn and sealing off an air leak on a ship...and that's it. I was kind of vaguely interested in getting the full game for a while, but I just forgot about it. Seemed decent, if a bit unremarkable.

It becomes a very unique game about halfway through. I recommend watching a playthrough of it on youtube because it has such an amazing and detailed look on artificial intelligence and time travel, probably more so than any other game before. The first part involves just repairing the broken ship, but eventually you get off it and the story becomes really interesting.

It also has some of the best writing ever made in a video game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
crossstitch.jpg

I'll leave this here.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Is there a good horror adventure game? I always wanted to play one.

I also want to recommend Beneath a Steel Sky for those who haven't played it. Great story, great writting and amazing music.

Lissar

Reluctant Member

I love this game too! The puzzles were great and the story was interesting (though the end was a bit... well, you know.)

The only thing I could have done without were the 3D portraits on the textboxes. It would have looked so much classier if they had used illustrations instead. They already had a great artist.

I also want to recommend Beneath a Steel Sky for those who haven't played it. Great story, great writting and amazing music.

I actually just recommended these like an hour ago, but you really ought to play the Chzo Mythos games by Yahtzee! And best of all, they're free so you can play them right now. They can be pretty scary, especially the third one.

Phantasmagoria and its sequel which are pretty good, and Amnesia if you want to count it as an adventure game. It's not point-and-click but walking around in first-person. And there's Personal Nightmare, though it's been so long since I've played that I couldn't tell you if it's any good.

And I hate how so many modern adventure games use 3d "realistic" human models that are ugly as fuck and so stiffly animated (from what I saw, Gray Matter's characters look nice, but the faces on the bottom of the screen were really bad) :/.

Yep, the character models in this game are awful. You have to look past them, which I managed to do after chapter 1. The handpainted cutscenes in the game are great though, so it helps that the cutscenes after each chapter are done that way.

I need to throw in my love for Blade Runner. Maybe my favourite adventure game outside of Monkey Island.

Some good games in this thread I need to check out. I'm currently plaything through The Whispered World and I'm having mixed thoughts about it. The art and world are great, and some of the puzzles are pretty cool, but certain areas just aren't grabbing me. It is a good game, but not as amazing as I thought it would be.

I also really need to buy Lost Horizon on the next Steam sale because I've wanted to play it for ages.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
The Dig is awesome. The soundtrack is probably the best one ever in an adventure game. I seriously can't believe that it wasn't more popular, because it's probably the most atmospheric 2D game ever made.

This. The soundtrack to The Dig is gorgeous. Probably the best album to listen to before you go to bed. The CD is hard to find, but well worth the price.

dig_soundtrack_front.jpg

Hayeya

Banned
Ahhhh the Nostalgia,

I Remember buying a 1500 $ PC during 1994 just for King's Quest 7, i was literally blown away when i first saw it, it was like a playable Disney Animation.

Top Bottom